The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flea

Re: The TV thread

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/justif ... 234905405/
Beaverdam wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:43 am
Irony...I posted this on3DD then watched an episode before bed, and it happened to be the one with Boyd listening to “I Do Believe”!
Beaverdam wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:36 pm
We recently started rewatching Justified. I knew that I liked the show the first go round, but it is amazing.

When I try to describe the show to people who aren’t familiar with it, I say that it’s like Walker Texas Ranger with really good acting!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

My wife and I have been finding the fifth season of The Americans to be less than compelling and generally not up to snuff so it was amusing when my wife, as is her wont, went to the internet for background and learned very quickly that season 5 is "the disappointing one." LOL, good to know we're not alone and in a strange way it has encouraged us to keep watching.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Forgot to say that we watched This is a Robbery, a short series about the Gardner Museum heist. It's well intentioned and it's a great story but this was some seriously bad storytelling. Very disappointing.

Also finished The Americans, which was not disappointing. But I still haven't figured out what I want to say about it.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

lajakesdad wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:22 pm

Finally got around to watching this. Currently in season 3 and really enjoying it.
I just finished watching season three with a friend. I'm glad I don't watch much TV so I have time for stuff like this.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

We watched Restless last nite. It's a well regarded British/South African 2 part series about British spies. It's very well done and I was pretty well captivated but I don't have a fucking clue what actually happened and why. I'll give anybody who can explain it to me a dollar now and a beer when we next see each other. Apparently the book it's derived from is also very well regarded so I'm hoping to track that down and hoping that it will have at least some of the answers.

Charlotte Rampling is of course great in it because she's great in everything. It did raise the question of how many female movie sex symbols have been able to transition to a long, successful career once they no longer met Hollywood's leading lady standards. Not many. I thought Michelle Dockery was far better in this than she was in the seasons of Downton Abbey that I watched.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

1/2 an episode left. :?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

cortez the killer wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:28 pm
The end is the best part
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:31 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
The end is the best part
Wolf sighting?
- DPM

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

bo burnham netflix special is mesmerizing.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

cortez the killer wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:35 pm
Zip City wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:31 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
The end is the best part
Wolf sighting?
remember that guy who left a message board because he was too chickenshit to honor a bet?

what a cuck.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:53 pm
We watched Restless last nite. It's a well regarded British/South African 2 part series about British spies. It's very well done and I was pretty well captivated but I don't have a fucking clue what actually happened and why. I'll give anybody who can explain it to me a dollar now and a beer when we next see each other. Apparently the book it's derived from is also very well regarded so I'm hoping to track that down and hoping that it will have at least some of the answers.

Charlotte Rampling is of course great in it because she's great in everything. It did raise the question of how many female movie sex symbols have been able to transition to a long, successful career once they no longer met Hollywood's leading lady standards. Not many. I thought Michelle Dockery was far better in this than she was in the seasons of Downton Abbey that I watched.
Forgot to say that I did find and read the book and it did clear up a lot of the mystery. It turns out that the TV show was pretty faithful to the book overall, it just skipped over a bunch of the explanations/background.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The new season of In the Line of Diuty (finale released on Tuesday) is one of the better ones. Really good, complex stuff.

Started the new (and last) season of Bosch and through 2 episodes it's a bit disappointing. Worth watching of course but not up to their best,

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Giri/Haji - First 6 episodes - high quality stuff, at least very good, more often excellent, complex, nuanced, intriguing, excellent acting by all the main players. Episode 7 (penultimate episode) - uh oh. Signs of trouble, plot beginning to spin out of control. Episode 8 (final episode) - you gotta be kidding me. What a letdown. My best guess is that the writers/directors/producers/showrunners didn't understand the plot too well and never knew how it was going to end, except suddenly it had to end, so they just ended it, bizarre joltingly misplaced Interpretive dance included. Sigh.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:59 pm
The new season of In the Line of Diuty (finale released on Tuesday) is one of the better ones. Really good, complex stuff.

Started the new (and last) season of Bosch and through 2 episodes it's a bit disappointing. Worth watching of course but not up to their best,
Bosch stayed worth watching but not up to snuff throughout the season.

The last episode of Line of Duty was ok but a bit of a letdown/anticlimax after the previous episodes. And seasons, for that matter.

John A Arkansawyer

I got through the fourth season of Schitt's Creek this week and only broke down in tears over two episodes.

They have the most interesting way of setting up a season (other than season one, which had a traditional cliffhanger ending): A twelve-episode arc and then a standalone culminating episode. I know there are two more seasons to go, but if it ended here, or at the end of season two, it would be a satisfying story. Season three a little less so, as it had some cliffhanger aspects but left all the characters in a good place. The cliffhanger stuff was like "Will this go well?" instead of "Will they be saved?" It would've been an okay ending which still wanted something to top it off.

This season's arc-ender was a traditional happy ending (though not the end) that got one sort of tears out of me. The culminating episode got a whole different sort out.

I hadn't realized how closely I identify with Johnny Rose, who doesn't even spell his name Johnnie, but I do. That last one just tore me up.

It's a very funny show, too.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:52 pm
Giri/Haji - First 6 episodes - high quality stuff, at least very good, more often excellent, complex, nuanced, intriguing, excellent acting by all the main players. Episode 7 (penultimate episode) - uh oh. Signs of trouble, plot beginning to spin out of control. Episode 8 (final episode) - you gotta be kidding me. What a letdown. My best guess is that the writers/directors/producers/showrunners didn't understand the plot too well and never knew how it was going to end, except suddenly it had to end, so they just ended it, bizarre joltingly misplaced Interpretive dance included. Sigh.
I liked the dancing!

Whole thing worked for me on it's own strange, slightly silly terms.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

305 Engine wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:32 am
I liked the dancing!
I feel like saying "of course you did" but I don't know what I mean by that. In any case it's banter, not serious commentary.
305 Engine wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:32 am
Whole thing worked for me on it's own strange, slightly silly terms.
I can understand liking the dancing a lot more than i can understand liking the last episode as a whole. That's really puzzling to me because i found the last episode to be very puzzling. Like I said, I thought that until then the series was excellent so it's not like I'm looking to diss it. But as my mother likes to say, "that's what makes horse racing."

tinnitus photography

apparently the words I Think You Should Leave are too common to search on so I couldn't find any previous mentions but this show has been killing me!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:24 pm
apparently the words I Think You Should Leave are too common to search on so I couldn't find any previous mentions but this show has been killing me!
That show owns. So good
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

John A Arkansawyer

I finished Schitt's Creek over the weekend and really enjoyed it. The final episode was over the top in a good way and I did manage to anticipate the ending shot.

My identification with Johnny Rose was only deepened when I realized he'd somehow acquired my idea (which, let's face it, I was never going to use) for a business. I hope it works out.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Chair (Netflix) is a short series that attempts to make a rom com around PC on a college campus and mostly succeeds. A worthy attempt for sure, and mostly pretty good. It won't change your life but it's a pleasant couple of hours.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I am really enjoying “Nine Perfect Strangers” on Hulu

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Beaverdam wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:19 am
I am really enjoying “Nine Perfect Strangers” on Hulu
It's pretty good. Nicole Kidman can be my guru anytime she wants!

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:06 pm
The Chair (Netflix) is a short series that attempts to make a rom com around PC on a college campus and mostly succeeds. A worthy attempt for sure, and mostly pretty good. It won't change your life but it's a pleasant couple of hours.
Agreed.
- DPM

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

chuckrh wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:05 am
I was a little wary after the first episode. I thought it was going to be celebrating criminal behavior of children. But after that, each episode is a distinct little story that I find very well made and entertaining. The criminal element is basically gone, except for a reference here or there.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Enjoyed the return of Billions and the surprise appearance of Jason Isbell.

A cameo in a fairly pointless scene that seems to have been shoehorned in. I guess that confirms that the writer is a huge fan. That show has a consistently excellent soundtrack.

tinnitus photography

started watching Reservation Dogs last night and saw the episode w/ snippets from Sleep and OM. it's a pretty good show.