The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

oilpiers

Re: The TV thread

Post by oilpiers »

chuckrh wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:33 am
I really want to like it. i lived in LA metro then, and basically same age as Magic. Lakers/Celtics in the 80's is the pinnacle of NBA history to me. But I can't buy that guy as Magic. He may have charm, but not the same kind Magic had, at all. Even though I am unfamiliar with the actor, he reminds me of Edie Falco playing Hillary. Simply a reprise of Carmela. I got lost in Clive Owen's Bill, among other characters, but when a main character doesn't capture an icon, it makes it very difficult to get into. Like Cuba playing OJ. Worst casting in history. Would love to have seen Duane Johnson play him. I may have bought that.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

oilpiers wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:02 am
chuckrh wrote:
I really want to like it. i lived in LA metro then, and basically same age as Magic. Lakers/Celtics in the 80's is the pinnacle of NBA history to me. But I can't buy that guy as Magic. He may have charm, but not the same kind Magic had, at all. Even though I am unfamiliar with the actor, he reminds me of Edie Falco playing Hillary. Simply a reprise of Carmela. I got lost in Clive Owen's Bill, among other characters, but when a main character doesn't capture an icon, it makes it very difficult to get into. Like Cuba playing OJ. Worst casting in history. Would love to have seen Duane Johnson play him. I may have bought that.
John C Reilly is good though. Jerry West sure doesn't come off well, at least in the first episode.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

chuckrh wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:39 am
oilpiers wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:02 am
chuckrh wrote:
John C Reilly is good though. Jerry West sure doesn't come off well, at least in the first episode.
I totally agree on both points. I had no idea West was perceived as such an asshole. I even googled about it and found nothing to substantiate this characterization. I remember in 1983 when Bowie tickets for Anaheim Stadium were sold at the Forum in a daylong wristband lottery type thing, there were thousands outside in the parking lot. West came out of his office with a briefcase and set it down and looked over the crowd in amazement at the circus. Virtually right in front of me.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

chuckrh wrote:
First episode was excellent. Looking forward to the 2nd installment tomorrow night.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

cortez the killer wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:33 pm
chuckrh wrote:
First episode was excellent. Looking forward to the 2nd installment tomorrow night.
I'm looking foreword also. But there are language anachronisms of slang that were not around in 1980. Most obvious example is when Norm Nixon asked Magic how he liked Cali. I couldn't believe it. I never heard that term until around 2000, and only from younger people or people not in California. No way anyone born in the 50's used that term in 1980. Just a pet peeve of mine that should have been better vetted in the script. Cali was a drug cartel in Columbia back then.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I'm a bit late on this (don't have Netflix) but it's excellent. I'm a recent convert to F1 (I should get bonus points for getting into it before I saw the show). I've given up on NASCAR. They've ruined that with the rule changes. Indy car has some potential. I hope it continues to come back. I watched the whole Indy 500 when I was in the hospital last year & it was an amazing race. F1 though is just awesome. You get everything in the series. Lot of enjoyable soap opera & politics. Some colorful personalities, too. I'm a fan of Lewis Hamilton. I have set myself a goal of being in good enough health (& having enough money) to go to the inaugural Las Vegas Grand Prix, Thanksgiving weekend 2023. Evidently they are going to build a track on the Bellagio grounds. That's the rumour anyway. Good series!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mare of Easttown - Season 1. Very, very good although it could have been 1 to 2 episodes shorter. The depiction of people trapped in lives by forces they don't fully understand is distressingly painful but the hope and optimism, such as it is, is hard and well earned.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I've gotten pretty good at pulling the plug on TV series that just don't work for me. But sometimes I plow through anyway. Just finished The Tourist on HBO. It was pretty bad. I have no idea why I stuck w/ it. The last episode redeemed it a little bit, so there's that, but ultimately I don't really know why I watched. I guess I wanted to know the answers to the show's mysteries <shrug>. It's probably not a blazing insight to say that second hand David Lynch influenced (copied? lol) intentional weirdness is really boring.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:25 pm
Mare of Easttown - Season 1. Very, very good although it could have been 1 to 2 episodes shorter. The depiction of people trapped in lives by forces they don't fully understand is distressingly painful but the hope and optimism, such as it is, is hard and well earned.
We enjoyed it. The performance were uniformly excellent
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

oilpiers wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:33 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:33 pm
chuckrh wrote:
I'm looking foreword also. But there are language anachronisms of slang that were not around in 1980. Most obvious example is when Norm Nixon asked Magic how he liked Cali. I couldn't believe it. I never heard that term until around 2000, and only from younger people or people not in California. No way anyone born in the 50's used that term in 1980. Just a pet peeve of mine that should have been better vetted in the script. Cali was a drug cartel in Columbia back then.
I first heard it in the LL Cool J song "Going Back to Cali" in 1988. Still, I know what you mean. Sometimes, I think writers incorporate current slang even in period pieces to give them more of a contemporary feel.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Larry Legend time!
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm very excited that Better Call Saul is back
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:10 pm
I'm very excited that Better Call Saul is back
+ 1! I've got it on the DVR & will probably watch later today.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Anatomy of a Scandal on Netflix, produced by David E. Kelley. This show raises two questions: What in the world made me sit through the whole thing, and is this actually the worst big budget major player tv show ever made? The first episode was merely cliched standard tv and offered the possibility that it might get better. By the end of the second episode I should have known. By the fourth episode it was kind of like watching a slow motion train wreck and there were less than 2 hours to go so I figured what the hell just finish it, but how did I let it get so far? It's really hard to describe this much awfulness but I guess it starts and ends with the absolutely nonsensical plot. As we watched the show head towards its biggest twist/reveal my wife and I are both going "no, no, they can't possibly be going there, can they?" But yeah, they were.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Gary Oldman is great in Slow Horses on Apple TV+. British spy drama/comedy. Currently 5 episodes in and enjoying every minute. Highly recommended.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:20 pm
Gary Oldman is great in Slow Horses on Apple TV+. British spy drama/comedy. Currently 5 episodes in and enjoying every minute. Highly recommended.
Absolutely! Though we still haven’t seen the most recent episode. BTW the books by Mick Herron on which the show is based (and on which I hope they’ll base additional seasons) are equally highly recommended. Gary Oldman might not have been the first person I thought of for the role (don’t know who would have been) but he is perfect.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Watching qualifying for the F1 Miami Grand Prix. I started getting into F1 before the Netflix series. They did a nice job with the course in Miami. Fast track but tough. The race tomorrow should be great.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Watched the Magic Johnson doc series ("They Call Me Magic") on Apple and thought it was really good for the most part. Ran out of steam in the final episode when it turned into an infomercial for Magic Johnson Enterprises.

That said, as someone who devours old NBA content, I generally liked it. Wasn't as awesome as ESPN's "Best of Enemies" series but worth watching. I hope to dig in on Winning Time this weekend or the following.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:55 pm
RolanK wrote:
Absolutely! Though we still haven’t seen the most recent episode. BTW the books by Mick Herron on which the show is based (and on which I hope they’ll base additional seasons) are equally highly recommended. Gary Oldman might not have been the first person I thought of for the role (don’t know who would have been) but he is perfect.
I made a note when you mentioned this series in Athens. Headed west in a few weeks and it's on the agenda for vacation viewing. Looks great. In fact, a lot of the Apple originals do. I honestly hadn't opened the app since I caught up on Ted Lasso.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brettac1 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 5:14 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:55 pm
RolanK wrote:
I made a note when you mentioned this series in Athens. Headed west in a few weeks and it's on the agenda for vacation viewing. Looks great. In fact, a lot of the Apple originals do. I honestly hadn't opened the app since I caught up on Ted Lasso.
Speaking of Apple TV, we were late to the first season of The Morning Show, but enjoyed it very much. We were also late to the 2nd season and barely got through the first episode. Really, really bad. Perhaps we'll give it one more shot but there's not a lot of motivation to do so.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Episodes 7 & 8 of Bosch: Legacy were very disappointing and just plain bad. Here's hoping they get it back together for a big finish.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 5:46 pm
Episodes 7 & 8 of Bosch: Legacy were very disappointing and just plain bad. Here's hoping they get it back together for a big finish.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

The racing on Sunday was across the board good to great, from F1 in Monaco (typically a snoozefest but compelling thanks to the strategy brought on by the rain) all the way through the Indy 500 to one of the best NASCAR races of the year (and the best Coke 600 in several years).

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I binged Pistol (HULU) over the past few nights. If you have not heard, it's a biopic of the Sex Pistols. It's a little goofy, but fun and entertaining.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Other than SNL I've never really followed Norm McDonald but I watched his "Not so Special", well most of it.
I didn't watch the other comedians analyze it. Maybe some other time, but I did enjoy Norms routine. :D
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

scotto

Post by scotto »

pearlbeer wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:03 pm
I binged Pistol (HULU) over the past few nights. If you have not heard, it's a biopic of the Sex Pistols. It's a little goofy, but fun and entertaining.
I'm really liking it, much to my surprise. Especially the little historical (musical and otherwise) bits and pieces tossed in.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

With Better Call Saul and Stranger Things on a break, it’s just Barry and Obi-Wan Kenobi right now. I did go back and watch season four of Fargo (which was great) and I’m halfway through season three of Arrested Development (which I never watched before)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 5:46 pm
Episodes 9 & 10 were an improvement, but little did I realize that they were the season ending episodes. I think I would have watched differently if I'd known those were the season enders. There's a big difference between an episode cliff hanger and a season cliff hanger. Oh well.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

scotto wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:04 am
pearlbeer wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:03 pm
I'm really liking it, much to my surprise. Especially the little historical (musical and otherwise) bits and pieces tossed in.
I'm going to check this one out. When I first saw it pop up it seemed like a show that had potential to be great or a total failure.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Today's NYT has a nice retrospective on The Wire twenty years on, focusing on one scene from each season.

Stringer Bell, Omar and Bubbles are among the many indelible characters whose memory is brought back by the article. They just don't make TV like they used to :)