The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The TV thread

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:Image
Just finished watching Season 1
OMG, what a sensation this was when it was first released. Seemed like the entire country had Twin Peaks fever. Now what I mostly remember is cherry pie.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

beantownbubba wrote:
OMG, what a sensation this was when it was first released. Seemed like the entire country had Twin Peaks fever. Now what I mostly remember is cherry pie.
I was junior in high school and remember hearing about it, but never watched. It's obviously dated, but I'm digging. Also digging, Norma Jennings.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

cortez the killer wrote: I was junior in high school and remember hearing about it, but never watched. It's obviously dated, but I'm digging. Also digging, Norma Jennings.
When I was a young teen she was Julie from the Mod Squad.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I really think and hope that one doesn't have to be Jewish to appreciate and enjoy the 4 part netflix series, Unorthodox. I was just this much short of spellbound. The contrast in cultures, the great work by the cast and the idea of leaving an ultraorthodox community to end up in Berlin is mindblowing (that's not a spoiler, btw). The "making of" documentary is only about 20 minutes long but is disappointing and not worth even that small amount of time.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

finished fargo season 2. really enjoyed it but i cant get on board with ranking it above 1 at all. the time frame was great, it connected well to season 1 but still stood alone, several incredible performances (though none quite as good as thorntons in season1), but the end felt a bit slight and the alien shit was a baffling misstep. the season was peppered with enough references to know it would play a big role but when it did it was so anticlimactic and not even a goofy sort of ridiculous. maybe if i ever rewatch the season ill come around but for now, big whiff for me.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Shakespeare wrote:finished fargo season 2. really enjoyed it but i cant get on board with ranking it above 1 at all. the time frame was great, it connected well to season 1 but still stood alone, several incredible performances (though none quite as good as thorntons in season1), but the end felt a bit slight and the alien shit was a baffling misstep. the season was peppered with enough references to know it would play a big role but when it did it was so anticlimactic and not even a goofy sort of ridiculous. maybe if i ever rewatch the season ill come around but for now, big whiff for me.
Fair enough. I thought the alien stuff was a pretty big macguffin from the start.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i guess my issue with it was less that it was really only relevant to two scenes (although they were two big ones), and more that it was such a departure from the shows general tone. all involved did such a good job making all of these settings and characters 100% real, even down to the most boring details. how these regular people can find themselves tangled in such high stakes games has been the biggest appeal of the show and movie for me, and introducing aliens that haphazardly was just too big a leap for me.

wouldnt say it killed the whole season for me though, it still did a lot of things really well and i hope its not the last we see of mike milligan at least

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

We finally finished our forced march through the third season of Mrs. Maisel. What a disappointment. Started out mediocre and went down from there w/ the occasional bright spot. The only consistently good part was Midge's stand up stuff which I think was largely spot on and very funny. Here's hoping they can turn it around.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

I’ve been watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer from the beginning. Halfway through season two. The writing is pretty sharp and I think holds up well. Also loving the cheap special effects.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dogstar wrote:Also loving the cheap special effects.
:lol: Yep.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

https://relix.com/news/detail/bill-kreu ... dium=email

I just made a note to watch in May!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Reminds me, I never did watch the continuation from a couple of years ago.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Flea wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote: it's the sexual liberation series of the decade!

I Am Curious (Chartreuse)
Color me intrigued - care to elaborate?
sorry i left you hanging; it would be cool if this board gave you a notification when someone quotes you. it was a reference to a famous early movie which showed the deed, and Mark E Smith also took a turn with it. my color choice was completely random.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
it was really great. weirdo lynch at its finest.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
I started it last week. It's crazy!
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Flea

Post by Flea »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Flea wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote: it's the sexual liberation series of the decade!

I Am Curious (Chartreuse)
Color me intrigued - care to elaborate?
sorry i left you hanging; it would be cool if this board gave you a notification when someone quotes you. it was a reference to a famous early movie which showed the deed, and Mark E Smith also took a turn with it. my color choice was completely random.
I've watched the series since, and developed a new appreciation for Kathryn Hahn nudge nudge wink wink
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Free at last, free at last, the strange tyranny and bewitching pull of Homeland is finally over. It it, I'm pretty sure, unique in my tv watching lifetime in that I can't remember so disliking a show in so many ways but still finding it to be pretty compelling, drawing me back week after week (or binge after binge as I caught up w/ the previous seasons). I got the early part: The characters were great, the plot lines were fascinating and intense and the drama was pretty much "ripped from the headlines." But over time the characters became caricatures and/or unlikeable and the plots, especially the "surprise twists" became so preposterous that suspending disbelief became a chore that was often not possible to achieve. But again, I watched the whole damn thing. Make of that what you will.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i rewatched the seinfeld reunion season of curb your enthusiasm over the last week. enjoyed it (i sure missed marty funkhauser in the latest season, and it sucks that we wont see the character again) but felt like the actual seinfeld reunion plot was pretty bad and i can never quite tell if its supposed to be or not. the curb plot of larry doing it for purely selfish reasons is great, and there are a ton of great moments with the seinfeld cast out of character, so i like the season a lot overall, but the actual seinfeld show within a show feels like something youd find on some college students twitter. they subverted the reunion gimmick nicely by doing it this way, i just wish theyd stuck the landing with a better fake reunion story. kinda makes me wonder how id feel about classic seinfeld eps if i just saw them for the first time now.

having said that, curbs def a show best served not thinking much about imo. for me it lives and dies on the strength of banter more than plot and so far no season has been totally lacking

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Shakespeare wrote:but felt like the actual seinfeld reunion plot was pretty bad and i can never quite tell if its supposed to be or not.
LOL. Welcome to Seinfeld/Larry David world I guess.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

This season of Better Call Saul has placed it firmly in my all-time favorite shows, along with The Wire, The Americans and Breaking Bad. Just started Succession, I'm on Season 1 Ep. 7 and I don't think I've ever watched a show where I can't find one person that I actually like, but I'm loving the show so far.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

BCS is one of my favorite shows also.
I like to watch Ellen in the afternoon but I hate the local news that comes on that channel. Ever since they had my truck towed back in 78 while I was at a AC/DC concert, so I change channels as soon as Ellen ends. Tuesday I wasn't quick enough cause I had a bong and lighter in my hands. Jeannie Blaylock comes on and with a big smile and a gleem in her eye, ala Don Henly, she says "The United States past a milestone today in the corona virus epidemic, 1 million cases."
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

watched the new seinfeld netflix special last night, even though i think i just dont like standup comedy as an art form (and also it seems clear by now that larry david was the real engine behind seinfeld. jerry can be a funny guy but he lucked out big time)

some truly dire phone bits early on that played like a parody of a 90s comedian, but the second half was solid enough. could spend a worse hour

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

We started rewatching Rome. The show seems as good now as it was years ago.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

finished fargo 3 this weekend. overall really enjoyed it. id say 1>3>2 overall. 1 being by far the funniest and closest to the film and 3 feeling like it strayed from the film the most. not inherently a bad thing but i found it losing some of its charm as the crimes got bigger/more global. seasons 1 and 2, especially 2, featured more than just petty crime but it all still felt uniquely small and local, and that won me over despite generally not caring for crime dramas. three went much bigger, with semi mixed results for me personally

spoilers here, in case anyone cares:
i didnt like the ending very much. wrapping emmit up via on-screen text then promptly killing him off with no reaction was anticlimactic, and the deliberately ambiguous final scene felt oddly cheap. i get that they were going for a true to life thing where people like gloria make a strong case but people like varga do generally skate, so i wasnt expecting a totally satisfying ending, but this felt like a copout

speaking of emmit, i thought they jerked his character around a bit much. made it sometimes too hard to tell where his head was at in any given scene. i guess thats the point but i had trouble getting a consistent read on him throughout, and the ending swerve didnt help

i never felt like this season was dragging or anything but when mr wrench (and the season 1 drum theme) reappeared, hoo boy did that get the blood pumping. the second to last ep was probably the most thrilling of any of the seasons so far.

kinda took issue with varga's bulimia. i get the whole the one thing he cant control thing, but for all the shots of it/his eating/his bad teeth it felt like an oversimplified explanation. expected it to play a much bigger role somehow. what a performance overall though. cant remember the last time one actor's presence made me legitimately squirm every time he appeared on screen.

i guess this kinda related to my beef with season 2's alien bits, but i dont think this show quite nails its more surrealist bits like it thinks it does. maybe it just doesnt do it enough and they end up feeling gimmicky but in this season ennis' sci-fi past, gloria not being recognized by sensors, and the whole bowling alley/god scene felt off to me. the LA ep in particular, seemed mostly pointless except for explaining where he got his fake name? almost felt like a standalone movie or something, because most of its leads were promptly dropped when the story returned to minnesota

this whole show has been phenomenally cast. even the characters that fill similar roles in each season all have their individual quirks that are wonderfully brought out. i dont think ive ever seen chris rock in a dramatic role so id been a little apprehensive about season 4 but i think the shows earned the benefit of the doubt. hope it premieres sorta soon!

gotta imagine therell be at least one character overlap in season 4. my guess is itll come from one of the KC people in season 2 and i sure hope it involves mike milligan somehow!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Just finished season 1 of “Kidding”. Great writing, super weird but touching. Feels like long-form Charlie Kauffman

scotto

Post by scotto »

Anyone else watching What We Do In the Shadows? Thought the film was OK, but really enjoying the show--more chuckles/guffaws/giggles that I've gotten from TV in awhile.
Also, love Ricky Gervais' second season of After Life. Thought the first season was brilliant right out of the gate. This one's a bit more serious and more of a grower, but well done.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Finished “Kidding” and am now into season two of “Stranger Things”

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

scotto wrote:Anyone else watching What We Do In the Shadows? Thought the film was OK, but really enjoying the show--more chuckles/guffaws/giggles that I've gotten from TV in awhile.
Also, love Ricky Gervais' second season of After Life. Thought the first season was brilliant right out of the gate. This one's a bit more serious and more of a grower, but well done.
Agree on both points.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

scotto wrote:Anyone else watching What We Do In the Shadows? Thought the film was OK, but really enjoying the show--more chuckles/guffaws/giggles that I've gotten from TV in awhile.
he'll always be Steven Toast to me

Yes, I can hear you, Clem Fandango!
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
he'll always be Steven Toast to me

That's Douglas Reynholm to me.