The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The TV thread

Post by beantownbubba »

Pulled up Slings and Arrows on Amazon Prime last nite and was reminded just how good this Canadian series is. I've posted about it before in this thread but the good news is that it stands up to re-watching. Highly recommended. The added bonus is that the first season features Rachel McAdams in (I think) her first major role and she lights up the screen in every scene she's in.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

dime in the gutter wrote:Image

I finished this the other day. It is pretty much the worst thing I've ever watched. I highly recommend it. In fact, it should be required viewing for every American citizen. I'll rewatch this whole thing twice, once my girls are old enough.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

pearlbeer wrote:

I finished this the other day. It is pretty much the worst thing I've ever watched. I highly recommend it. In fact, it should be required viewing for every American citizen. I'll rewatch this whole thing twice, once my girls are old enough.
powered through it this weekend, only have two episodes left. Agree 100%, minus the part about the girls being old enough (I am childless)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I watched part one of Rolling Stone: Stories from the Edge

Any music and/or history buff will enjoy this film. Part one featured stories from Ike & Tina, The Boss, Hunter S Thompson, Patti Hearst, etc. It is well done and a lot of fun.

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/rolli ... m-the-edge
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

RolanK wrote:
Beebs wrote:Image

Only two episodes in but I dig already. It definitely has that David Fincher vibe but not so that it's distracting.
Indoor smoking and 70s vintage correct cars. Wait for it. It gets better. Binged through entire season one over a weekend.
This is spectacular.

I feel a David Fincher fanboy phase coming on where I rewatch everything he's done.
Beebs is not a ragey man

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Peaky Blinders series 4 started last Wednesday. Great first episode, especially the start with the hangings. This season we get Peaky Blinders vs The Mafia.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

BLUE PLANET 2

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Finally caught the Ric Flair 30 for 30. So great. Really makes me appreciate how on the nose “The Wrestler” was
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Started this. Two episodes in. Liking it.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man

whatwouldcooleydo?

anyone else watching White Famous and/or SMILF on Showtime?

Enjoying both

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:anyone else watching White Famous and/or SMILF on Showtime?

Enjoying both
last night's episode of SMILF was superb, loved the Run Lola Run references. This show is 4 or 5 episodes in and each week its better than the one before

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:anyone else watching White Famous and/or SMILF on Showtime?

Enjoying both
last night's episode of SMILF was superb, loved the Run Lola Run references. This show is 4 or 5 episodes in and each week its better than the one before

The show hasn't met my expectations. I think Rosie O'Donnell is really good, but other than that I haven't found much to like. The story line seem's rather flat and one dimensional. It's like they took Fiona from Shameless and made her a single mother.

Shameless has been really good. I thought last season was one of the best. It's nice to see them be able to maintain such a high level of quality for this long.

White Famous is just ok. It's just Californication with a comedian instead of a writer. I watch it mostly for Balls. That motherfucker is funny.
Keep calm and have a cigar

whatwouldcooleydo?

finally started this one, totally into it. Watched 6 of the 10 episodes, hope to finish it off tonight

whatwouldcooleydo?

Big Errol Morris fan, and I am a total sucker for all things MK-Ultra, so this is right in my wheelhouse. Watched the first three episodes so far

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thought I remembered seeing some references to The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel here but can't find any at the moment. Watched the first season over the past few nites and really enjoyed it. The cast is tremendous with special bonus of old friend Joe Grifasi seemingly cornering the market on TV judges and doing a very fine job of it :) The actual stand up comedy bits are really funny despite some ridiculous anachronisms (a problem in other parts of the show as well) and the actor playing Lenny Bruce is just fantastic - he totally nails it. The show has one big problem though and that's that Joel is just such a schlemiel. Every time he comes on screen it feels like the whole show grinds to a halt (that's not a comment on the acting, i think he does a good job w/ what he has to work with). Other than the "that's the way it was for women back then" aspect which explains why Midge married him in the first place but not why she continues to care about him, it's impossible to get what Midge sees in Joel.

The portrayal of the Upper West Side Jewish mileu is heavy on the nostalgia and romanticism but still gets more than enough right to make it fun to watch from that perspective alone.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

coming up on cbs news. They found Steve Mcqueens mustang
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

whatwouldcooleydo?

just finished the first two seasons of this and absolutely love it! Third and (I'm fairly certain) final season just became available here in past week or so

Been meaning to get around to watching this for a long time, finally started it this weekend. About halfway into season 2 now

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

If we have any Trekkers here I highly recommend Star Trek Discovery. It took a little while to hit it's groove (like pretty much every series in the franchise) but I'll be damned if last night's episode wasn't the best Star Trek in twenty years.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

dogstar wrote:Peaky Blinders series 4 started last Wednesday. Great first episode, especially the start with the hangings. This season we get Peaky Blinders vs The Mafia.
Loved this show from the start. Really loved the music and for some reason it helped me understand the Scottish accent. Don't know why. Was done with PB by the end of the year. In my search to find something to get me through our 2 weeks of winter
I ran across The end of the f***ing world. Really great show (with the exception of the pet killings) Again great music but I blew
through this one pretty quik. Hope there's a second season.
Then I found Mind Hunters. WOW! Had to stop the second episode and put Killers and Stars on the turntable. I knew I had heard
that name somewhere before. I fired one up and let Marina in the room. When the Assassin came on she says "this doesn't sound like the version we heard live" "That's because we saw Jason do it" I answered. After my album break I start the show back and they play Psyco Killer. Again great music. I was a big Sweet fan back in the day and even though Fox on the Run was my least favorite Sweet song it was sweet to hear it.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

dogstar wrote:Peaky Blinders series 4 started last Wednesday. Great first episode, especially the start with the hangings. This season we get Peaky Blinders vs The Mafia.
Loved this show from the start. Really loved the music and for some reason it helped me understand the Scottish accent. Don't know why. Was done with PB by the end of the year. In my search to find something to get me through our 2 weeks of winter I ran across The end of the f***ing world. Really great show (with the exception of the pet killings) Again great music but I blew through this one pretty quik. Hope there's a second season. Then I found Mind Hunters. WOW! Had to stop the second episode and put Killers and Stars on the turntable. I knew I had heard that name somewhere before. I fired one up and let Marina in the room. When the Assassin came on she says "this doesn't sound like the version we heard live" "That's because we saw Jason do it" I answered. After my album break I start the show back and they play Psyco Killer. Again great music. I was a big Sweet fan back in the day and even though Fox on the Run was my least favorite Sweet song it was sweet to hear it.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

watched the end of the fucking world on netflix this weekend. i vaguely remembered the comic, but not enough to really compare it. it was a cool mini series though. started off a bit slow and felt like it was trying too hard to spawn tumblr gif's or something but once the characters were fleshed out it was very compelling. graham coxons score/soundtrack (and one sturgill simpson song, among other non-coxon tracks) was a nice treat too.

then started american vandal, which is a sort of parody of true crime documentaries. its premise is extraordinarily childish (a guy gets expelled for allegedly spray painting 27 dicks on faculty cars) but so far theyve gotten a lot of mileage out of some really cheap jokes. im 3 episodes in and ive got a few theories going, so its working as a crime show too. looking forward to wrapping that up soon

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i watched End of the F***ing World last night. not bad but didn't live up to the hype i'd heard.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Did anybody watch The Alienist? I loved the book and was really looking forward to this 2 parter, but w/ travel and stuff I just plain forgot about it. Will try to catch up w/ it somewhere but I'm curious if anybody here has an opinion.

Flea

Post by Flea »

pearlbeer wrote:

Finally wrapped this last night. Thought that the final episode would be an enlightening and informative contrast to the tangerine pusbucket's 90 minute fallacious diatribe.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Shakespeare wrote:watched the end of the fucking world on netflix this weekend. i vaguely remembered the comic, but not enough to really compare it. it was a cool mini series though. started off a bit slow and felt like it was trying too hard to spawn tumblr gif's or something but once the characters were fleshed out it was very compelling. graham coxons score/soundtrack (and one sturgill simpson song, among other non-coxon tracks) was a nice treat too.

then started american vandal, which is a sort of parody of true crime documentaries. its premise is extraordinarily childish (a guy gets expelled for allegedly spray painting 27 dicks on faculty cars) but so far theyve gotten a lot of mileage out of some really cheap jokes. im 3 episodes in and ive got a few theories going, so its working as a crime show too. looking forward to wrapping that up soon
We really enjoyed American Vandal. It was stupid/clever fun

#freedylan

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i just finished it last night. its truly dumb as hell but the attention to detail was crazy. seems like there wasnt a single character involved that wasnt explored in detail and tied into everything, and all the acting performances were spot on.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs wrote:Image
Always late to the party. But glad I final showed up.
Beebs is not a ragey man

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Flea wrote:
pearlbeer wrote:

Finally wrapped this last night.
I finally finished this last Friday. It should be required viewing for everyone. I knew some of it but it's interesting to see how all the bits you do know actually fit together.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

I love how Cisco and Pancho's hats never come off.
Last edited by Swamp on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.