The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: The TV thread

Post by Iowan »

Am I the only person who thinks the Big Bang Theory is one of the worst shows they've ever seen?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:Am I the only person who thinks the Big Bang Theory is one of the worst shows they've ever seen?

No, count me in that number. I have seen one whole episode and it is insipid.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:Am I the only person who thinks the Big Bang Theory is one of the worst shows they've ever seen?

No, count me in that number. I have seen one whole episode and it is insipid.

Every Chuck Lorre shows recycles the same jokes with different characters. Just pure crap, IMO.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Iowan wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:Anyone else geeking out over the return of Arrested Development this week?

I'm already on my second viewing of the series. Knocked the whole thing out on Sunday/Monday laying around hungover.

The Tobias episode is incredible.

"No, no. It's the Ambiguously Gay Duo."

"I can assure there's nothing ambiguous about me. I'm Johnny Storm, the Human Flamer!"

:lol: The Tobias and Gob episodes have been my favorites so far. Just watched the second Gob episode last night. I would have plowed through the whole thing a couple times already, but the wife wants to watch it with me and she can only handle 1 or 2 episodes per night.

The little things are what make this show so great. Like all the Mike's Hard Lemonade left behind in the To Entrap A Predator house.

"Daddy needs help getting his rocks off!"
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The Writers Guild of America has released it's 101 best written shows of all time:

http://www.wga.org/content/default.aspx?id=4925

Good list. There are a surprising amount of current shows on the list (Mad Men, Daily Show, Breaking Bad & Justified among others) but it's hard to argue with most of it.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

OMG GOT
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

one belt loop wrote:OMG GOT

Just goes to further my belief that the Starks end up winning.

Flea

Post by Flea »

:lol: I love the reactions from folks who haven't read the books!
Now it's dark.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Flea wrote:

:lol: I love the reactions from folks who haven't read the books!

I know! I was watching with my sister, who HAS read them. I deliberately didn't because I'd rather have it unfold. She did a great job not letting on....I was devastated. Holy crap.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

No.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Not a regular but I tivo'd a recent episode because Bob Newhart was the guest. Laughed my ass off. ( disclaimer: I love Newhart)
Always go to the show

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I like the show. It's not one of my top 10 of all time or anything but I enjoy it.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I like Big Bang Theory too.

Bernadette is HOT!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I've never been as excited about a show.

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I guess I oughta start watching breaking bad, huh? Keep meaning to...
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:I've never been as excited about a show.

That makes two of us.

I swear this show has nearly ruined everything else for me.

Anyone else mildly let down by the GOT finale last night? Maybe it was just because the last episode set the bar so damn high.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:I guess I oughta start watching breaking bad, huh? Keep meaning to...

Yes. Get to it.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I've never had a problem with The Big Bang Theory or even Two and A Half Men though I haven't watched the latter since the whole Charlie Sheen incident when he left the show. Same old jokes? Yes but I kept on watching.

I recently signed back up for Netflix' streaming service but mainly to finish watching Freaks and Geeks, which I missed out on the first time around. Now, I'm catching up on Lost. Since it was a serial, I never tried catching up after I'd missed several episodes. If I end up staying with Netflix for any length of time this time around it's going to be more for the TV series' I've missed out on as their movie selection is shit for the most part and they rarely add anything new. I'll hit Redbox every once in a while for new stuff.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

http://instantwatcher.com/

Keep up with titles coming and going on Netflix. They got hundreds of movies you can't find unless you search for them specifically.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

have been re-watching the sopranos from the beginning. so fucking good on so many levels. all sorts of hidden clues and foreshadowing and shit. ungodly music. and the writing....marone.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Maron on IFC is great. Not every episode. But every mistake he makes in the show I'm like shit Maron, I did that too. I love the self loathing humor.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Smitty wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I guess I oughta start watching breaking bad, huh? Keep meaning to...

Yes. Get to it.

When my son Jake moved back last year I was reluctant. then I started watching and i couldn't stop. To me it is right up there with The Sopranos or Lost, my own personal favorites. I can't believe you wouldn't love this.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

start on 11 August s1 ep 1 then by the time you have finished the five seasons you will be able to top it off with the last 8. It really is one of the best tv shows I have ever seen. In the top five with THE WIRE, THE SOPRANOS, etc
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

dee dee wrote:Maron on IFC is great. Not every episode. But every mistake he makes in the show I'm like shit Maron, I did that too. I love the self loathing humor.

I'd watch that because I like kitties
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

dee dee wrote:
Smitty wrote:

Yes. Get to it.

When my son Jake moved back last year I was reluctant. then I started watching and i couldn't stop. To me it is right up there with The Sopranos or Lost, my own personal favorites. I can't believe you wouldn't love this.

I haven't sampled Breaking Bad yet but I'm sure I will. Lost is very addictive. I think I'm somewhere about midway through the second season now.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

I'd never watched Mad Men until last week. Can. Not. Stop. Just started season 2 yesterday. The closest thing I can think of is when I heard Outfit and got obsessed with DBT. So far, Don Draper is fascinating more than any character I can think of. Andy why do I simultaneously loathe and empathize with Pete Campbell? How the fuck did I miss this?

Please, no big spoilers!

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Anybody else watching Under The Dome?

I read the book and enjoyed it enough that I wanted to watch this. King's books translate really poorly to the big and small screens normally. But so far this isn't bad. Of course I run into the same old problem that the characters look nothing like I imagined them and the premise is pretty silly once you find out what's going on. Buts not bad and not bad is usually good enough for me when it co es to tv because I watch so little of it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Freaks and geeks was great Kudzu. It's a shame it had such a short run.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

dee dee wrote:Maron on IFC is great. Not every episode. But every mistake he makes in the show I'm like shit Maron, I did that too. I love the self loathing humor.

I've never seen a discussion of Marc Maron's podcast "WTF" on 3DD, I've tried to bring it up a few times. But, he did real good interviews with Lucinda Williams, Jack White and Billy Bragg. If you have the time, they are all worth a listen. Plus, he's done great shows with Jon Hamm and Bryan Cranston. You just have to get through his very long and involved introduction before all his interviews.