The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dime in the gutter

Re: The TV thread

Post by dime in the gutter »

pilot with captain christopher pike.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

http://www.stream-tv.me

Try it you'll like it.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

This

Anyone? Two episodes in only, but looks promising. Dark.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:This

Loved the original, haven't caught up w/ this version yet.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So there I am, catching up on Downton Abbey in anticipation of tonite's season finale, when all of a sudden it hits me: Downton is the WASP Fiddler on the Roof! Obviously it's not an exact parallel - musical v. drama, rich family v. poor family, etc., but think about it: there are a hell of a lot of similarities.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

beantownbubba wrote:So there I am, catching up on Downton Abbey in anticipation of tonite's season finale, when all of a sudden it hits me: Downton is the WASP Fiddler on the Roof! Obviously it's not an exact parallel - musical v. drama, rich family v. poor family, etc., but think about it: there are a hell of a lot of similarities.

I consider it the stupid hot girl of television shows. I know it's really dumb and frankly, a bit beneath me. But for some reason it's simply pleasing to my eyes and I just can't look away.

Just watched the first episode of this the other night. Kevin Spacey is always great to watch and the whole rooting for the "bad" guy experience is fun. We just got a Roku and I look forward to dialing up more episodes soon.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Beebs wrote:I consider it the stupid hot girl of television shows. I know it's really dumb and frankly, a bit beneath me. But for some reason it's simply pleasing to my eyes and I just can't look away.

Don't feel bad. While I haven't seen a single episode of Downton Abbey I have been watching Nashville. It is without a doubt the very definition of a "nighttime soap opera" but the music storyline keeps me coming back for more.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

dime in the gutter wrote:Image

look at the bridge railings, the uniforms, Spock's makeup and ears, and some of the other props esp the tricorder and phasers. Some interesting detail changes between the pilot (which of course was not picked up) and the TOS main episodes.

I really enjoyed the INSIDE STAR TREK book by Herb Solow by the way: recommended.

Lets get full attack-nerd about STAR TREK for a while to piss everyone else off. ;-0

Live Long, and Prosper.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Beebs wrote:I consider it the stupid hot girl of television shows. I know it's really dumb and frankly, a bit beneath me. But for some reason it's simply pleasing to my eyes and I just can't look away.

Don't feel bad. While I haven't seen a single episode of Downton Abbey I have been watching Nashville. It is without a doubt the very definition of a "nighttime soap opera" but the music storyline keeps me coming back for more.

In the half of one episode of DOWNTON ABBEY I watched, I became a full-on Marxist, and was ready to storm the barricades and burn the fucker to the ground. English upper classes can go fuck themselves.

-Signed: A Wild Colonial Boy.

Plus its awful. SWMBO watches it. I absent myself. She likes the sets and costumes apparently
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I found this thread part way down page 2. I suppose that speaks well of us :)

Watched the premiere episode of Red Widow tonite. It had its moments though it was horribly paced and some of the actors were literally laughably bad (well, at least i laughed). OTOH i thought the lead actress was pretty good. Overall it wasn't bad, it was just network tv I guess. I kinda feel that the folks who made the wire or justified or sons of anarchy could have done a lot more w/ the same story. I doubt i'll watch again but there is a good tv show there waiting to hatch.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Steve French wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:Image

look at the bridge railings, the uniforms, Spock's makeup and ears, and some of the other props esp the tricorder and phasers. Some interesting detail changes between the pilot (which of course was not picked up) and the TOS main episodes.

I really enjoyed the INSIDE STAR TREK book by Herb Solow by the way: recommended.

Lets get full attack-nerd about STAR TREK for a while to piss everyone else off. ;-0

Live Long, and Prosper.

With the exception of about, I don't know, a dozen episodes I really don't care for ST: TOS much. First of all as time has marched on I've developed a full on hatred of William Shatner. Why, I'm not sure but it is what it is. The other thing is that it feels so dated that it's hard to watch with a straight face. That being said I'll watch City On The Edge of Forever any time, any place. It might be my single favorite TV episode of all time, any genre. I do like the subsequent series to various degrees and consider the last season of Deep Space Nine to be among the best Science Fiction ever on TV (along with parts of Babylon 5, some seasons of Doctor Who and a few others). I also like the new movie direction and am looking forward to the new one this summer.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

beantownbubba wrote:

Loved the original, haven't caught up w/ this version yet.

just finished this. loved it..
In my blood, there's gasoline..

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

The girlfriend got me hooked on The Amazing Race. Now it's "our"show. I have never been a huge reality TV fan, actually quite the opposite, however this show combines a little geography with some adventure and of course the human interest aspect. On last nights episode they flew to New Zealand. Holy smokes!! I knew that NZ was spectacular, but Jeez Louise, talk about off the hook beauty. Mr. French, if you're listening, if the DBT's ever come back to your part of the world, I'm going to do my damndest to make it down there.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Penny Lane wrote:
just finished this. loved it..

Me too. Last episode yesterday...
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Workaholics is pretty funny

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

I watched "Girls" last night on HBO. I was horrified. I need to switch to something a little lighter like Walking Dead.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I met Thurber from Gold Rush at a local coffee shop. He was travelling back to WA via the I-5 and stopped in Red Bluff. Pretty cool dude. Random "reality star" meeting.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Gang Green wrote:I watched "Girls" last night on HBO. I was horrified. I need to switch to something a little lighter like Walking Dead.

The theme seems to be, "how can an up and coming, average looking,female writer, producer, director, humiliate herself in the name of art?"

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Playing catch-up. Three episodes deep and really enjoying it.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We finally caught up with Justified on Saturday night. Tonight we'll watch in real time like regular people. Best show in years. Don't know how we missed it for three years.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I love Justified, but its nowhere near Breaking Bad. I been rewatching the last batch of episodes and its smazingly good.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

gutshot

Post by gutshot »

The dialogue in scenes including Boyd, Raylan, Art, Winn Duffy, or even Gutterson now is second to none. I find myself laughing out loud in middle of a heated scene just at some of the shit they say to each other in passing. Outstanding.
The sun, it rises one more time, and I'm still standing here.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

gutshot wrote:The dialogue in scenes including Boyd, Raylan, Art, Winn Duffy, or even Gutterson now is second to none. I find myself laughing out loud in middle of a heated scene just at some of the shit they say to each other in passing. Outstanding.

The dialogue between Raylan and Boyd at the school in last night's episode was some of the best written and performed stuff I've seen in ages. I'm going to be depressed after the season finale.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
gutshot wrote:The dialogue in scenes including Boyd, Raylan, Art, Winn Duffy, or even Gutterson now is second to none. I find myself laughing out loud in middle of a heated scene just at some of the shit they say to each other in passing. Outstanding.

The dialogue between Raylan and Boyd at the school in last night's episode was some of the best written and performed stuff I've seen in ages. I'm going to be depressed after the season finale.

Really? I'm as die-hard a Justified fan as it gets, but this season has seriously underwhelmed me or maybe overwhelmed me plot-wise - I am constantly trying to remember why I or anyone in the show should care who Drew Thompson is, what happened to the bartender Raylan was dating and her bf, Colt's drug dealer, the tent revival bunch, Colt and the drug dealers, where's preggy Winona, etc etc - it has finally started getting coherent here towards the end, but not unlike some of my posts on here (including this one), to quote Goofy off of The Mickey Mouse Club which my kids are enjoying as I type, this season has had "more twisties than a barrel of pretzels".

The acting/dialogue is top notch, but the writers have shot their wad with regards to the plot this season. This is not to say I'm not eagerly anticipating the final episodes and will definitely continue to watch as long as it's on T.V. (or until they kill off Boyd Crowder), but I'm hoping next season is more coherent than this one will be.

Not to switch subjects here, but anyone who appreciates great writing and acting (and hasn't already) should definitely catch up on Breaking Bad before the series' finale this summer. I've been catching last seasons' reruns and still get amazed after repeat viewings at how fucking great it is. The only show that I've seen that's The Wire -level quality. Don't judge it off of one episode - it took me a couple before I fell in, but after I did there was no turning back.

Breaking Bad can be darker than a coal miner's lunchbox at times, so if you're not into that (looking at you, TC) I get that it might not be your thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Really? I'm as die-hard a Justified fan as it gets, but this season has seriously underwhelmed me or maybe overwhelmed me plot-wise - I am constantly trying to remember why I or anyone in the show should care who Drew Thompson is, what happened to the bartender Raylan was dating and her bf, Colt's drug dealer, the tent revival bunch, Colt and the drug dealers, where's preggy Winona, etc etc - it has finally started getting coherent here towards the end, but not unlike some of my posts on here (including this one), to quote Goofy off of The Mickey Mouse Club which my kids are enjoying as I type, this season has had "more twisties than a barrel of pretzels".

The acting/dialogue is top notch, but the writers have shot their wad with regards to the plot this season. This is not to say I'm not eagerly anticipating the final episodes and will definitely continue to watch as long as it's on T.V. (or until they kill off Boyd Crowder), but I'm hoping next season is more coherent than this one will be.

Not to switch subjects here, but anyone who appreciates great writing and acting (and hasn't already) should definitely catch up on Breaking Bad before the series' finale this summer. I've been catching last seasons' reruns and still get amazed after repeat viewings at how fucking great it is. The only show that I've seen that's The Wire -level quality. Don't judge it off of one episode - it took me a couple before I fell in, but after I did there was no turning back.

Breaking Bad can be darker than a coal miner's lunchbox at times, so if you're not into that (looking at you, TC) I get that it might not be your thing

Surprised by your comments, Smitty. Just finished catching up w/ Season 4 yesterday and I'm not seeing most of that. Assuming that Drew Thompson was the main plot thread, I agree it's not as compelling as some of the others, but I thought the "side plots," which seem to be your main complaint were just fine and have all been wrapped up pretty coherently and neatly (except Winona). Maybe it's because I've been watching 3 at a time as opposed to weekly. Anyway, I think we're all agreed that the dialog and main characters are top notch. And I fall more deeply in love w/ Ava every second she's on screen. Turns out that she was in High Fidelity. I assume it must have been a small part but I've been thinking about seeing that one again and it just moved up the priority list :) Oh, and Ellen Mae shooting the "bear" had to be one of the funniest things I've seen in years.

My complaints, such as they are, are that the secondary characters are almost wholly undeveloped (especially Tim and Rachel) despite a couple of half-hearted attempts to address that this season and that the bad guys divide way too easily into "masterminds" (occasionally) and "morons" (too often). I'm not counting boyd & his group as bad guys for this purpose. And of course it pisses me off on general principle that every woman in the show can't wait to jump into bed w/ Raylan. He doesn't even have to buy 'em a drink, much less dinner. Life just ain't fair.

Meanwhile, our copy of season 1 of Breaking Bad continues to reside in KS; the streak of "oh damn I forgot it again" now being up to something like 5 or 6 trips, not even counting the daily availability of the USPS or Fedex. Of course, I could just give up and watch on netflix but that would be too easy.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:Surprised by your comments, Smitty. Just finished catching up w/ Season 4 yesterday and I'm not seeing most of that. Assuming that Drew Thompson was the main plot thread, I agree it's not as compelling as some of the others, but I thought the "side plots," which seem to be your main complaint were just fine and have all been wrapped up pretty coherently and neatly (except Winona). Maybe it's because I've been watching 3 at a time as opposed to weekly. Anyway, I think we're all agreed that the dialog and main characters are top notch. And I fall more deeply in love w/ Ava every second she's on screen. Turns out that she was in High Fidelity. I assume it must have been a small part but I've been thinking about seeing that one again and it just moved up the priority list :) Oh, and Ellen Mae shooting the "bear" had to be one of the funniest things I've seen in years.

My complaints, such as they are, are that the secondary characters are almost wholly undeveloped (especially Tim and Rachel) despite a couple of half-hearted attempts to address that this season and that the bad guys divide way too easily into "masterminds" (occasionally) and "morons" (too often). I'm not counting boyd & his group as bad guys for this purpose. And of course it pisses me off on general principle that every woman in the show can't wait to jump into bed w/ Raylan. He doesn't even have to buy 'em a drink, much less dinner. Life just ain't fair.

Meanwhile, our copy of season 1 of Breaking Bad continues to reside in KS; the streak of "oh damn I forgot it again" now being up to something like 5 or 6 trips, not even counting the daily availability of the USPS or Fedex. Of course, I could just give up and watch on netflix but that would be too easy.

It could be me being distracted more than a problem with the show; I'll give it another go and try to focus harder after the season's over and I can watch it on my own time - focusing completely on any show (edit: anything) is hard to do with two young kids and a pregnant wife.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

What a night of TV!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Surprised by your comments, Smitty. Just finished catching up w/ Season 4 yesterday and I'm not seeing most of that. Assuming that Drew Thompson was the main plot thread, I agree it's not as compelling as some of the others, but I thought the "side plots," which seem to be your main complaint were just fine and have all been wrapped up pretty coherently and neatly (except Winona). Maybe it's because I've been watching 3 at a time as opposed to weekly. Anyway, I think we're all agreed that the dialog and main characters are top notch. And I fall more deeply in love w/ Ava every second she's on screen. Turns out that she was in High Fidelity. I assume it must have been a small part but I've been thinking about seeing that one again and it just moved up the priority list :) Oh, and Ellen Mae shooting the "bear" had to be one of the funniest things I've seen in years.

It could be me being distracted more than a problem with the show; I'll give it another go and try to focus harder after the season's over and I can watch it on my own time - focusing completely on any show (edit: anything) is hard to do with two young kids and a pregnant wife.

If I had a complaint it's that the cast got a bit too big but I didn't mind the sub plots per se. I did like the Drew Thompson story and guessed his identity about three episodes before the reveal. I don't watch a lot of TV anymore and mostly when I get caught up in something now it's purely escapist (Game of Thrones, Revolution. Dr. Who) as I've found most comedies and dramas either dull or too dark (I can't do Breaking Bad for that reason). Justified has been the exception, it hooked me from the first episode and Lurleen and I caught up with the whole series in three weeks. I have been considering starting up with The Americans but so far can't talk Lurleen into it.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

I am in the 6th season of a Sopranos marathon, thanks to a 40 Gigabite file my son gave me. I saw them all years ago, but when you can watch 6 seasons in 6 weeks, it makes much more sense. My favorite show ever is The Wire. I have to give serious props to Shameless. I have been watching it since it started, and the first season I thought it was over the top. It gets better as it progresses. Tonights episode had a very well written show, with at least 6 threads, all progressing in the same timeline. It was actually quite brilliant. It has gone from a guilty pleasure, to the best show on TV. Makes Dexter look like a cartoon, and Homeland is so fucking stupid I can't understand the praise. A 30 something, mentally ill C.I.A. agent, who feels guilty for letting 9-11 happen? She was 22 at the time. Just fucking dumb.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Anyone watching Top of the Lake on Sundance? It's supposed to be like Twin Peaks, but in New Zealand. Caught the first two episodes, it's kind of strange, quirky and low key. But, now I really want to visit New Zealand, no matter how screwed up this little town is.