The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: The TV thread

Post by chuckrh »

fantastic film!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

schlanky wrote:I was doing some chores last night and wife put on old episode of NCIS while I finished up. She was far enough into it when I got done and sat down that I told her to just finish it out. Episode wrapped with "Heavy & Hanging."
Nice.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:fantastic film!

Obviously eagerly looking forward to this but it's surprisingly hard to find a 3.5 hour window that works for both my wife and I and which falls at a time that we're both likely to make it through w/out at least one of us falling asleep. First world old people problems.

I hadn't realized that Joe Pesci had been out of movies for so long. I'm really surprised by that and in retrospect, that's too bad. He's always a treat.

Clams

Post by Clams »

oilpiers wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:anyone else watching Succession? Jumped aboard the train for season 2 after Jen bugged me to join her, and now I'm hooked. Such awful people but such a good show.

And Shiv is a total eye-magnet. I am indeed saying that she is most lovely but she also has a powerful charisma or presence or whatever you want to call it in any scene in which she appears. She commands attention

Succession is on the first tier of HBO shows, alongside, The Sopranos, The Wire, and GOT. Immensely enjoyable. Mashup of Murdochs and Trumps. Can't agree about Shiv. She commands attention, but lovely is not the word for me.
Just finished season one last night. Outstanding.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Clams wrote:
oilpiers wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:anyone else watching Succession? Jumped aboard the train for season 2 after Jen bugged me to join her, and now I'm hooked. Such awful people but such a good show.

And Shiv is a total eye-magnet. I am indeed saying that she is most lovely but she also has a powerful charisma or presence or whatever you want to call it in any scene in which she appears. She commands attention

Succession is on the first tier of HBO shows, alongside, The Sopranos, The Wire, and GOT. Immensely enjoyable. Mashup of Murdochs and Trumps. Can't agree about Shiv. She commands attention, but lovely is not the word for me.
Just finished season one last night. Outstanding.
Astonishingly, season two is even better.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

chuckrh wrote:fantastic film!

Watched it the other day and loved it. Saw it with my oldest son and the fact that someone of his generation with an attention span of maximum 20 seconds sat through the whole 3.5 hours says a lot. I suspected there would be some controversy given the topic of Hoffa and I made sure not to google any of that before watching it, but even after having read some of the articles and options on the book/manuscript I find it doesn't take anything away from the experience imho. I love the genre, and Scorsese is truly the master.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Flea

Post by Flea »

This series is much much better than I thought it would be.

Now it's dark.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Flea wrote:This series is much much better than I thought it would be.

yeah, it's tremendous
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Zip City wrote:
Flea wrote:This series is much much better than I thought it would be.

yeah, it's tremendous
what y'all said!
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

A buddy just texted me about a CBS show called “Unicorn,” because one of the characters discussed going to a DBT show. I looked up this show and understood completely when I saw Walton Goggins stared in it!

B-rad G

Post by B-rad G »

Beaverdam wrote:A buddy just texted me about a CBS show called “Unicorn,” because one of the characters discussed going to a DBT show. I looked up this show and understood completely when I saw Walton Goggins stared in it!
My wife was watching it last night and yelled for me to come in the room. She says, "Watch this" and Walton's character talks about going out to see his date's favorite band, the Drive By-Truckers. It was pretty cool.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I’m crushing hard on Kathryn Hahn.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

bovine knievel wrote:Image

What the heck is this show? I'm getting a bunch of presumably targeted ads for it and it's either very intriguing or subversive clickbait.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

beantownbubba wrote:

What the heck is this show? I'm getting a bunch of presumably targeted ads for it and it's either very intriguing or subversive clickbait.
it's the sexual liberation series of the decade!

I Am Curious (Chartreuse)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:it's the sexual liberation series of the decade!
So I guess those advertisers know their market after all.

scotto

Post by scotto »

beantownbubba wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:it's the sexual liberation series of the decade!
So I guess those advertisers know their market after all.
They should come up with a different term for "artificial" intelligence. Seems pretty fucking real to me.

Flea

Post by Flea »

tinnitus photography wrote: it's the sexual liberation series of the decade!

I Am Curious (Chartreuse)
Color me intrigued - care to elaborate?
Now it's dark.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

The Sopranos is probably my favorite all time show. I saw this as while watching local news.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ5aKGa2DjY

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

By the end of January of this year, I had not watched a single episode of Homeland. As of last night I am completely caught up to the middle of the 8th and last season. So you can say I've been kind of bingeing it and I certainly have devoted an inordinate amount of time to it. Yet I have this strange love/hate relationship w/ the show and don't even know if I would recommend it to anyone else. The show regularly, bu which I mean multiple times per season, jumps the shark yet always seems to find a way to keep the (or at least this) viewer hooked, intrigued and coming back for more. I have never yelled at the screen so much about a show I've continued to watch. Perhaps one of these days I'll figure out how they do that. In the meantime I'm truly losing patience w/ the "sharkiness" and am very ready for the series to end. I will, however stick it out 'til the end considering how much time and energy I've devoted to it.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT RE MINOR, TANGENTIAL PLOT POINTS:

Early in season 8, does Aleksandr (her guard) have sex w/ Carrie in her cell?
Has anybody else noticed that Janet (season 7) and Jenna (season 8) are basically the same person? Somebody seems to have a "type," lol.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Finished season one of fargo last night. big fan of the movie but the show never really interested me even though i knew it was entirely new. glad i finally checked it out though because i absolutely loved it. billy bob thornton was a phenomenal lead but there were really a bunch of great performances and a well paced story that never got predictable. Was skeptical early on by how much happened in episode one, and at a few points later when it seemed like it was wrapping up with so many eps left, but it kept finding new directions that never felt like filler. Only real issue I had was I thought key and Peeles characters didn't really fit the overall vibe of the show. The show was frequently hilarious but those two seemed like pure comic relief without the dry humor used elsewhere, and it was a bit over the top compared to the rest of the humor. idk, really stuck out for me

I'd still say I generally don't get the whole prestige tv thing, more often than not I'd rather just have a movie than 10 or so connected eps I'd never watch on their own, but this was probably a more convincing argument for the format than anything else I've seen. i watched it in 2/3 ep chunks and it all felt self contained enough on its own not to feel like each episode had an obligatory cliffhanger

Not sure I'll jump right into the next seasons but I'm excited to see them eventually

Clams

Post by Clams »

My son turned me on to the Real Bros of Simi Valley which is incredibly stupid but also incredibly brilliant and fucking hilarious. It uses the Real Housewives reality format and follows a group of stoner/skateboarder dudes in the valley who are 25 years old and still live with their parents. Season 1 is on Youtube, seasons 2 and 3 are on Facebook Watch (which is a streaming platform that I didn't even know existed).

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Flea

Post by Flea »

Finished this last night, and my feelings totally align with yours.
Now it's dark.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Shakespeare wrote:Finished season one of fargo last night. big fan of the movie but the show never really interested me even though i knew it was entirely new. glad i finally checked it out though because i absolutely loved it. billy bob thornton was a phenomenal lead but there were really a bunch of great performances and a well paced story that never got predictable. Was skeptical early on by how much happened in episode one, and at a few points later when it seemed like it was wrapping up with so many eps left, but it kept finding new directions that never felt like filler. Only real issue I had was I thought key and Peeles characters didn't really fit the overall vibe of the show. The show was frequently hilarious but those two seemed like pure comic relief without the dry humor used elsewhere, and it was a bit over the top compared to the rest of the humor. idk, really stuck out for me

I'd still say I generally don't get the whole prestige tv thing, more often than not I'd rather just have a movie than 10 or so connected eps I'd never watch on their own, but this was probably a more convincing argument for the format than anything else I've seen. i watched it in 2/3 ep chunks and it all felt self contained enough on its own not to feel like each episode had an obligatory cliffhanger

Not sure I'll jump right into the next seasons but I'm excited to see them eventually
Fargo season 2 blows season 1 out of the water, IMO. Haven’t been able to get into season 3

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:Finished season one of fargo last night. big fan of the movie but the show never really interested me even though i knew it was entirely new. glad i finally checked it out though because i absolutely loved it. billy bob thornton was a phenomenal lead but there were really a bunch of great performances and a well paced story that never got predictable. Was skeptical early on by how much happened in episode one, and at a few points later when it seemed like it was wrapping up with so many eps left, but it kept finding new directions that never felt like filler. Only real issue I had was I thought key and Peeles characters didn't really fit the overall vibe of the show. The show was frequently hilarious but those two seemed like pure comic relief without the dry humor used elsewhere, and it was a bit over the top compared to the rest of the humor. idk, really stuck out for me

Fargo season 2 blows season 1 out of the water, IMO. Haven’t been able to get into season 3
I like them all but would probably rate them in order 1, 2 then 3. Just saw that season 4 has been delayed because of the virus. It was supposed to have premiered in April.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I thought Season 2’s time period was perfect for the genre. No cell phones, no computers, no way to quickly warn people that trouble is on its way.

And the music was fucking incredible.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Just finished this. :shock:
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Flea wrote:

Finished this last night, and my feelings totally align with yours.
She’s sexy AF 8-)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Spent the past several days of this quarantine introducing my 10 year old son to the Dukes of Hazzard. It was my favorite show growing up, and he loves it so far too. After a few episodes though, it sounds like I might have a miniature Boss Hogg on my hands after hearing this exchange with his sister:

Ansley: "Share that blanket with me, John David"

JD: "Ok, but I get 90% and you get 10%"

Ansley: "No, we have to share it 50/50"

JD: "70/30, and that's my final offer"

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

cortez the killer wrote:
Just finished this. :shock:
+1 for Tiger King

What a great distraction during Covid19 lockdown. Merica!
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Just finished watching Season 1
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM