The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

bovine knievel

Re: The TV thread

Post by bovine knievel »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: Sunday's season finale was quite good, especially all the incredibly raunchy material from Judy. Loved this gem:

Judy: BJ, I need to tell you: part of my pajama pants are drenched right now. And it’s not drenched with pee.

BJ: It better not be, Judy Gemstone. You save that piss for my chest.
:lol:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

bovine knievel wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: Sunday's season finale was quite good, especially all the incredibly raunchy material from Judy. Loved this gem:

Judy: BJ, I need to tell you: part of my pajama pants are drenched right now. And it’s not drenched with pee.

BJ: It better not be, Judy Gemstone. You save that piss for my chest.
:lol:
Judy also got to utter “snail trails”
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

^^^^

I was gonna mention :lol:

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Levieva
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

whatwouldcooleydo?

bovine knievel wrote:^^^^

I was gonna mention :lol:
That entire scene where she talked about her professor was outstanding on multiple levels: funny as hell, creepy, frightening, and sad.

Also, she talked about going down on buttholes :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think she is the star of the show....unlike wretched Kelvin. What a waste of a character

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

phungi wrote:Image

Surprised to see nothing on El Camino. Won't spoil anything, but it was great to be back in the Breaking Bad universe, even just for 2 hours.
i watched it two nights ago and completely agree with your thoughts about being back in that universe. i might need to do a BB re-watch soon.

this is a good read, and the AV Club's commenters are some of the best on the web.. no shit talking just some really insightful posts.

https://tv.avclub.com/el-camino-gives-t ... 1839011334

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Watched Late Night, the Mindy Kaling/Emma Thompson movie last night. Once I got past my mistaken impression that I was watching a sitcom series I enjoyed it. Nothing life changing but fun, amusing and not too heavy handed in making its political points. The portrayals of the white privileged "frat boys" veered towards caricature/stereotype but in context it wasn't too out of place. Emma Thompson is terrific, as always. She is a treasure and an amazing talent. Meryl may get more press but Emma is right there w/ her.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

phungi

Post by phungi »

tinnitus photography wrote:
phungi wrote:
Surprised to see nothing on El Camino. Won't spoil anything, but it was great to be back in the Breaking Bad universe, even just for 2 hours.
i watched it two nights ago and completely agree with your thoughts about being back in that universe. i might need to do a BB re-watch soon.

this is a good read, and the AV Club's commenters are some of the best on the web.. no shit talking just some really insightful posts.

https://tv.avclub.com/el-camino-gives-t ... 1839011334
Great article, especially this blurb:
But what I’ve always loved about letting Vince Gilligan tell me stories is that it’s not about what I want. I look forward to hearing him all the way through, seeing what he wants to show me, thinking about it afterwards rather than trying to engineer or predict it in advance.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Finished The Righteous Gemstones last night. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole season, though I have absolutely no clue what direction season 2 might go, which worries me a little bit. I wouldn’t put it on the same level as Eastbound & Down, but Danny McBride has to be one of my favorite guys on TV right now.
Tequila Cowboy wrote:We're several episodes into The Righteous Gemstones and I honestly don't know how I feel about the show. It's incredibly well done, the dark humor is often on point, but somehow it seems like a chore to watch sometimes. Definitely more good than bad but I wish I liked it more. Still any chance to watch Walton Goggins (other than the dreadful Vice Principals) is a good thing.
Speaking of Danny McBride shows, I’m curious as to your distaste for Vice Principals? I think it’s the weakest of his 3 HBO shows, but I found his and Goggins’ characters to be so hateable I couldn’t stop watching.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

whatwouldcooleydo?

anyone else watching Succession? Jumped aboard the train for season 2 after Jen bugged me to join her, and now I'm hooked. Such awful people but such a good show.

And Shiv is a total eye-magnet. I am indeed saying that she is most lovely but she also has a powerful charisma or presence or whatever you want to call it in any scene in which she appears. She commands attention

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Finished The Righteous Gemstones last night. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole season, though I have absolutely no clue what direction season 2 might go, which worries me a little bit. I wouldn’t put it on the same level as Eastbound & Down, but Danny McBride has to be one of my favorite guys on TV right now.
Tequila Cowboy wrote:We're several episodes into The Righteous Gemstones and I honestly don't know how I feel about the show. It's incredibly well done, the dark humor is often on point, but somehow it seems like a chore to watch sometimes. Definitely more good than bad but I wish I liked it more. Still any chance to watch Walton Goggins (other than the dreadful Vice Principals) is a good thing.
Speaking of Danny McBride shows, I’m curious as to your distaste for Vice Principals? I think it’s the weakest of his 3 HBO shows, but I found his and Goggins’ characters to be so hateable I couldn’t stop watching.
I have a very hard time with shows without a redeemable character. Seinfeld got that way for me after the novelty of the first season wore off. I think Righteous Gemstones could be the rare show that I like with horrible protagonists but the jury is out. The story has to really elevate the material for me to get past it. Just to clarify, I don't need every character to be a "good guy" but they have to have some humanity. Goggins character on Justified, Boyd Crowder, was a bad, bad man but he was capable of genuine kindness on occasion. Bad people without any redemptive qualities are not characters I enjoy watching.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:anyone else watching Succession? Jumped aboard the train for season 2 after Jen bugged me to join her, and now I'm hooked. Such awful people but such a good show.

And Shiv is a total eye-magnet. I am indeed saying that she is most lovely but she also has a powerful charisma or presence or whatever you want to call it in any scene in which she appears. She commands attention

Succession is on the first tier of HBO shows, alongside, The Sopranos, The Wire, and GOT. Immensely enjoyable. Mashup of Murdochs and Trumps. Can't agree about Shiv. She commands attention, but lovely is not the word for me.

whatwouldcooleydo?

oilpiers wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:anyone else watching Succession? Jumped aboard the train for season 2 after Jen bugged me to join her, and now I'm hooked. Such awful people but such a good show.

Succession is on the first tier of HBO shows, alongside, The Sopranos, The Wire, and GOT. Immensely enjoyable. Mashup of Murdochs and Trumps. Can't agree about Shiv. She commands attention, but lovely is not the word for me.
I have a feeling that I am in the minority when it comes to Shiv. She probably goes in the “acquired taste” file

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Have not seen the show, but based on the example given she reminds me of a young Miranda Otto, and that is a good thing.

Not that there is anything wrong with the current Miranda Otto.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

oilpiers wrote:

Love the dynamic between Roman and Gerri, they should get their own show!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tonight's episode of the Deuce was fucking devastating. I really, really wanted a particular character to have a happy ending but it went about as dark as it could get. Second week in a row that it's choked me up (Maggie Gyllenhaal's monologue last week was gut-wretching as well and is further proof she's as good as it gets)

BTW, this last half of this final season has been pert-near Wire-worthy (as have stretches of the first two). Criminally underwatched/underrated show.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

tinnitus photography

i just started last week and am nearly done season 2.

every character is a complete scumbag w/ the slight exception of Greg (who also is the funniest character, along w/ Roman).

whatwouldcooleydo?

tinnitus photography wrote:

i just started last week and am nearly done season 2.

every character is a complete scumbag w/ the slight exception of Greg (who also is the funniest character, along w/ Roman).
Greg is hilarious- his rapport with Tom kills me- but damn, he is so mind-numbingly stupid that it's tough to take at times. That said, he'll likely pull a Bran and sit on the throne when all is said and done :lol: :lol: :lol:

They are all indeed scumbags through and through but the siblings are all so deeply damaged from Logan that it's easy to see becoming a scumbag as a defense mechanism (plus being so filthy rich contributes greatly as well).

Going back to Shiv (all roads lead to Shiv), she is an absolute master of the side-eye and other facial expressions. Both she and Kendall speak volumes via facial expressions as well as anyone you'll see

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Watched the second season of The Kominskiy Method this weekend. Thought it was better than season one. It seemed to have more Alan Arkin and less acting class, which is good to me. The biggest shock was Paul Reiser. It took me a minute to figure out that was him. He is doing a Mad About You reunion, and I don't think this will be his look in that. In one scene he is in the hospital, and he channeled George Costanza so vividly, it almost appeared to be on purpose.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Flea wrote:I rather enjoyed the live reenactments of old All In The Family and The Jeffersons episodes the other night.

We liked them both, but in the All in the Family portion Woody Harrelson didn't quite capture Archie. Marisa Tomei, on the other hand was incredible as Edith and the rest of the cast was good as well. The scene stealer, in my opinion, was Jamie Fox as George Jefferson. The guy had it DOWN. Overall the takeaways were that 1) they simply don't write television like this anymore 2) if they did no one would be that brave 3) it's amazing how these same issues are still relevant more than four decades on. Overall a highly enjoyable experience.

As a side note we got a kick out of the dog's reactions to our laughing our asses off. I cannot remember the last time I saw something funny on TV so they weren't used to it. There hasn't been a TV comedy worth watching in twenty years and every time we try to watch one we turn it off in five minutes. Those were the days indeed.
I agree with every word of that.
https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/ain-t- ... 1839690688

just read that The Jeffersons is gonna get the same treatment! This makes me very happy, one of my favorite shows from childhood. Awesome blend of hilarity with real-life sadness and harsh issues (poverty, child abuse, forgotten elderly people, etc)

No mention of the casting but we riot if Kenan Thompson isn't Buffalo Butt Bookman :lol: :lol: :lol:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jack Ryan Season Two - It really depends on how charitable I want to be. In no way was it awful; it's more a question of whether it was actively bad, just ok or merely disappointing. I think "meh" pretty much sums it up. Not enough good parts, too many bad parts, and way too many boring parts accented by the preposterous parts. I understand the need to suspend disbelief, but really...

For those trying to calibrate, I was a happily surprised big fan of season one and John Krasinski is from my (actually my kids') home town.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Smitty wrote:Tonight's episode of the Deuce was fucking devastating. I really, really wanted a particular character to have a happy ending but it went about as dark as it could get. Second week in a row that it's choked me up (Maggie Gyllenhaal's monologue last week was gut-wretching as well and is further proof she's as good as it gets)

BTW, this last half of this final season has been pert-near Wire-worthy (as have stretches of the first two). Criminally underwatched/underrated show.
I enjoyed The Deuce a lot. I wasn’t sure about the ending but after a few days to reflect on it, I think it was perfect.

I will miss seeing Abby. What a fucking fox!

whatwouldcooleydo?

bovine knievel wrote:
Smitty wrote:Tonight's episode of the Deuce was fucking devastating. I really, really wanted a particular character to have a happy ending but it went about as dark as it could get. Second week in a row that it's choked me up (Maggie Gyllenhaal's monologue last week was gut-wretching as well and is further proof she's as good as it gets)

I enjoyed The Deuce a lot. I wasn’t sure about the ending but after a few days to reflect on it, I think it was perfect.

I will miss seeing Abby. What a fucking fox!

We’re behind on this, just finished episode 4, you know, the one that ends with Frankie talking about the infield fly rule

whatwouldcooleydo?

It's happening...and with throat rips all over this thing!!!

Best news I've heard all day, hell, all month

tinnitus photography

what the hell is a Macgruber?

I thought it was another Dumb and Dumber movie.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I just started Peaky Blinders! Powered through Season 1 in a day and am about half way through Season 2. I wish I would have discovered it sooner. The only disappointing thing for me so far is Sam Neill's accent. :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

bovine knievel wrote:I just started Peaky Blinders! Powered through Season 1 in a day and am about half way through Season 2. I wish I would have discovered it sooner. The only disappointing thing for me so far is Sam Neill's accent. :lol:
Huge fan of PB!!!

Don’t worry, Sam Neill’s character might not be around forever :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

bovine knievel wrote:I just started Peaky Blinders! Powered through Season 1 in a day and am about half way through Season 2. I wish I would have discovered it sooner. The only disappointing thing for me so far is Sam Neill's accent. :lol:
Has Tom Hardy’s character appeared yet? Good luck understanding a fuckin’ word he says

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Has Tom Hardy’s character appeared yet? Good luck understanding a fuckin’ word he says
He has :lol:

A lot of the dialogue goes right past me but I’m able decipher enough. Hot damn is Grace a beauty.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I was doing some chores last night and wife put on old episode of NCIS while I finished up. She was far enough into it when I got done and sat down that I told her to just finish it out. Episode wrapped with "Heavy & Hanging."
Let the outside air in