The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dime in the gutter

Re: The TV thread

Post by dime in the gutter »

rlipps wrote:I miss having Cortez around to discuss The Americans with. Such a great, great show.
i'm no cortez......fuck that dude......but i'm into that show. did the new season start?

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

dime in the gutter wrote:
rlipps wrote:I miss having Cortez around to discuss The Americans with. Such a great, great show.
i'm no cortez......fuck that dude......but i'm into that show. did the new season start?
Yep, first episode aired this past Tuesday at 10:00.

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

Flea wrote: Image
yepper.
I didn't know the series was based on a film. I'll have to check that out! I've only seen Season 1 of the television series but I know there's at least a Season 2 because I was googling it to find out who's on the soundtrack -- really smooth Italian gangster rap. My favorite is a guy named Rocco Hunt, I've been listening to him when I run. I have no idea what he's saying but that's probably for the best.
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

dime in the gutter

very much, most excellent.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

What a mess
Beebs is not a ragey man

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dime in the gutter wrote:Image
Title sounds like a thriller/adventure thing, but the pic sort of makes it look comedic. Can you spare us a few descriptive words, dime?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

dime in the gutter

beantownbubba wrote:
Title sounds like a thriller/adventure thing, but the pic sort of makes it look comedic. Can you spare us a few descriptive words, dime?
dark comedy thriller about a depressed folk singing assassin who must gain employment (for NOC reasons) at a milwaukee based manufacturer of industrial piping. his real father is his cia boss and his younger brother is a track suit wearing, beastie boy loving helper of his assassin deeds. top notch. great cast. snappy nonsense "piping" dialogue. amazing to look at and listen to. sad man in a suit.

highly recommended.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
dark comedy thriller about a depressed folk singing assassin who must gain employment (for NOC reasons) at a milwaukee based manufacturer of industrial piping. his real father is his cia boss and his younger brother is a track suit wearing, beastie boy loving helper of his assassin deeds. top notch. great cast. snappy nonsense "piping" dialogue. amazing to look at and listen to. sad man in a suit.

highly recommended.
I'm hooked just from dimes summary
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:I'm hooked just from dimes summary
Yep. The magic of the dimer in full flight.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Clams wrote:I'm hooked just from dimes summary
Yep. The magic of the dimer in full flight.
Episode 1 in the can. Dime is a genius.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Really loved last weeks "Blackish" Talk about hitting the nail on the head.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Just started this. Looks like its gonna be a good one.

Also, fuck Nazis.
Beebs is not a ragey man

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Swamp wrote:Really loved last weeks "Blackish" Talk about hitting the nail on the head.
such a consistently great show. Ruby and Diane are awesome characters, and the show does indeed nail pretty much every issue they confront
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

The newest episode of Billions featured Ronnie & Neal & Goddamn Lonely Love...

Great show to, season 2 is better than season 1 IMO.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

TW_2.0 wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Haven't started season 2 yet. We almost did last night but instead started the BBC series The Fall. Watched the first two episodes

Finished this a couple of weeks ago. We liked it, although I thought it petered out a bit towards the end.
If you liked The Fall, check out The Killing (Netflix). 4 seasons, 3 crimes...really good crime drama.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Fowl Play: Saying Goodbye to 'Duck Dynasty,' TV's Worst Show

This is the way the dynasty ends – not with a quack but with a whimper.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Fowl Play: Saying Goodbye to 'Duck Dynasty,' TV's Worst Show

good riddance
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Fowl Play: Saying Goodbye to 'Duck Dynasty,' TV's Worst Show

good riddance
Lol. I've never understood why some people hate that show so much and love crapping on the Robertson family.

I get it that the show wouldn't be a lot of people's cup of tea. But the hissing from the social justice warrior crowd about how awful those folks are is just funny. Two of the sons and their wives have adopted black children. For all the lip service given from the fringe left types who are so vocal about the plight of the black community in this country I wonder how many of them would do something like that. Another of the sons adopted a young man with pretty serious emotional problems who suffered some pretty frightening abuse early in his life. I guess social programs are better than actually trying to do something about it.

For all the talk about what bigots these people supposedly are from the intellectual virtu signaling crowd, they do more to actually help others and give more of their own money and time to good causes than the majority of their critics. Maybe that's why those people dislike them so much.

Or maybe it's he Jesus stuff. I'm sure if they were any other religion besides Christians or Jews they would be heros to these same folks. And with all the crap on TV where the heros are drug dealers and murderers, Lord forbid we have one show that itsn't "dark" or "gritty". Lol. People are so funny.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I think it's the disgusting anti-LGBT stuff, which, admittedly, has been spewn places other than the tv show

http://ew.com/article/2013/12/18/duck-dynasty-anti-gay/
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:

good riddance
Lol. I've never understood why some people hate that show so much and love crapping on the Robertson family.

I get it that the show wouldn't be a lot of people's cup of tea. But the hissing from the social justice warrior crowd about how awful those folks are is just funny. Two of the sons and their wives have adopted black children. For all the lip service given from the fringe left types who are so vocal about the plight of the black community in this country I wonder how many of them would do something like that. Another of the sons adopted a young man with pretty serious emotional problems who suffered some pretty frightening abuse early in his life. I guess social programs are better than actually trying to do something about it.

For all the talk about what bigots these people supposedly are from the intellectual virtu signaling crowd, they do more to actually help others and give more of their own money and time to good causes than the majority of their critics. Maybe that's why those people dislike them so much.

Or maybe it's he Jesus stuff. I'm sure if they were any other religion besides Christians or Jews they would be heros to these same folks. And with all the crap on TV where the heros are drug dealers and murderers, Lord forbid we have one show that itsn't "dark" or "gritty". Lol. People are so funny.
I watched it a few times when it was at it's zenith of popularity. I didn't care a bit about the "we love Jesus so much" stuff. I just thought it was fake and silly. Pretty much what I think about most of those type of reality shows. So many of those shows have ruined my favorite channels, The History Channel, TLC, Discovery, etc.

I didn't even care much when the patriarch was spouting his nonsense at speaking engagements. I actually thought some of the things he said were taken out of context and he was unfairly crucified by the easily offended. But the fact that the show is over. Good riddance. I just wish it would take the rest of the reality shows with it.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

brett27295 wrote:I just thought it was fake and silly. Pretty much what I think about most of those type of reality shows. So many of those shows have ruined my favorite channels, The History Channel, TLC, Discovery, etc.
brett27295 wrote: I just wish it would take the rest of the reality shows with it.
This. It's less about the family and more about our culture's race to the bottom with hokey, scripted "reality" non-content.

The fact that so many Americans can stare lovingly at this, or Honey Boo Boo, or Jerry Springer explains a lot about the mess we're in.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:

good riddance

I don't really care about their politics, I just think it's funny that a bunch of guys who can't dress up without using a headband have become the spokespeople for American morality.

The Robertsons are just cashing in on trash TV and playing up stereotypes for yucks and $. I'm just not sure why that gives them any kind of credibility. I guess it's how conservatives feel about liberal celebrities acting like their take on politics means jack shit. The difference for me is that I don't know if I've ever had a liberal friend spam social media with celebrity opinions and hold liberal celebrities on the pedestal some of my conservative friends put the Robertsons on.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I also agree that scripted reality shows in general help make people dumber and less able to think critically, but that's the viewer's prerogative.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

Beebs wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
The fact that so many Americans can stare lovingly at this, or Honey Boo Boo, or Jerry Springer explains a lot about the mess we're in.
It's almost as if a reality TV star is running your country.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

whatwouldcooleydo?

PonyGirl wrote:
Beebs wrote:
brett27295 wrote:
It's almost as if a reality TV star is running your country.
It's almost as if a reality TV star is ruining your country. FTFY

blueridgehiker

Post by blueridgehiker »

Young Pope, anyone? I could watch Jude Law walk around in head to toe rich, flowing fabrics for hours. And truly that's much of the show - not a lot of plot but a lot of fun.

A girl as plain as a primer coat

whatwouldcooleydo?

anyone else still watching Walking Dead?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We just finished season 1 of This is Us yesterday and I have to say that it's probably the best written network television show in a decade. Not usually my cup of tea but this one is innovative enough and incredibly well executed.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Flea

Post by Flea »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:anyone else still watching Walking Dead?
Yep. Pretty good finale last night. Shiva is now my favorite character.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:anyone else still watching Walking Dead?
Yep. Pretty good finale last night. Shiva is now my favorite character.
Finale was definitely better than most of the season. Indeed glad to see Shiva finally get to run wild. Happy to see Shiva chomp on that "vegetables, not veggies" dude who was creeping on Enid :lol:

That said, for a show that demands a ton of disbelief suspension, last night took it to an altogether new level. :P

a few random questions:

(1) where did Gregory run off to?

(2) has Eugene truly emraced "I am Negan" mode or is he running a long con?

(3) does the carved solider with "didn't know" mean Dwight didn't know that Negan had made a deal with the garbage people (Heapsters)?

(4) why the hell do the Heapsters talk the way they do?

(5) how does Shiva know who to kill?