The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tinnitus photography

Re: The TV thread

Post by tinnitus photography »

yeah both episodes were really good. i watched the 2nd one again w/ kids last night as one of them hadn't seen it yet.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Crime is a 6 part Scottish detective series on Prime. The first 2 episodes were excellent and so intense we had to take a break before continuing. The next 2 episodes continued the high quality w/ a little less intensity, which made the watching experience even better. The 5th episode was a bit disappointing but could be seen as a transition to the anticipated big finish. The 6th episode sucked and took all the enjoyment out of the series. Totally disappointing. Damn. Added bonus: the Scottish slang and the Scottish dialogue generally.
They're not monsters. They're not animals.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:58 pm
Crime is a 6 part Scottish detective series on Prime. The first 2 episodes were excellent and so intense we had to take a break before continuing. The next 2 episodes continued the high quality w/ a little less intensity, which made the watching experience even better. The 5th episode was a bit disappointing but could be seen as a transition to the anticipated big finish. The 6th episode sucked and took all the enjoyment out of the series. Totally disappointing. Damn. Added bonus: the Scottish slang and the Scottish dialogue generally.
You seem to enjoy Brit cop shows so can recommend Vigil. Not top tier cop drama and a bit ridiculous at times but delivers tension. And its Scottish.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

305 Engine wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:50 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:58 pm
You seem to enjoy Brit cop shows so can recommend Vigil. Not top tier cop drama and a bit ridiculous at times but delivers tension. And its Scottish.
I know that's an excellent recommendation because I've seen it and enjoyed it very much. :) Your summary is accurate except you didn't mention Suranne Jones, who is a positive addition to everything she's in.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Dopesick is horrifying. Compelling. Gripping. Upsetting. And a fantastic tv series. The obvious villains are obvious but what struck me was the relatively de-emphasized (not ignored but never fully explored either) failures, stupidity, coincidences, corruption, whatever that created the playing field on which Purdue was able to thrive. The scenes of creeping then accelerating addiction and its effects had us twisted in knots - couldn't look away but had to binge watch to get past it. The parts about ordinary people (mostly Purdue employees) getting sucked in by the money and momentum seem pretty much dead on to me and serve as an important warning to all of us. Stellar acting throughout even by most of the more cliched "stock" characters, w/ Barry Levinson in charge.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:18 pm
Dopesick is horrifying. Compelling. Gripping. Upsetting. And a fantastic tv series. The obvious villains are obvious but what struck me was the relatively de-emphasized (not ignored but never fully explored either) failures, stupidity, coincidences, corruption, whatever that created the playing field on which Purdue was able to thrive. The scenes of creeping then accelerating addiction and its effects had us twisted in knots - couldn't look away but had to binge watch to get past it. The parts about ordinary people (mostly Purdue employees) getting sucked in by the money and momentum seem pretty much dead on to me and serve as an important warning to all of us. Stellar acting throughout even by most of the more cliched "stock" characters, w/ Barry Levinson in charge.
I thought that series was pretty good, too. Michael Keaton was outstanding in it.

tinnitus photography

Euphoria is wild... what Spring Breakers would look like as a TV show.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The White Lotus - barely made it through the second episode before I had to turn it off. I know it's popular but it went right over or under my head.

Ted Lasso - Yes, finally got around to this after astonishing friends and acquaintances for months with the news that I hadn't yet seen it. In a rare defiance of the odds it has lived up to its extravagant billing thus far (just into season 2). Kudos all around.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Reacher - Based on the first 2 episodes, approximately 100x better than the Tom Cruise movies. In the first five minutes a guy from Boston was referred to as Beantown and within the first half hour or so we already had music from Fred McDowell and Howard Tate among others. Outro to the first episode was the Stones' "Can't You Hear Me Knockin.'"

It is both unsurprising and more than a little surprising how much difference it makes having a lead character who physically resembles the Reacher of the books.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:50 pm
Reacher - Based on the first 2 episodes, approximately 100x better than the Tom Cruise movies. In the first five minutes a guy from Boston was referred to as Beantown and within the first half hour or so we already had music from Fred McDowell and Howard Tate among others. Outro to the first episode was the Stones' "Can't You Hear Me Knockin.'"

It is both unsurprising and more than a little surprising how much difference it makes having a lead character who physically resembles the Reacher of the books.
Ya, it was just wrong to have a midget play Reacher.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Clams wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:16 pm
There was one done prior to this. The guy who plays all the characters said he decided to crank up the ridiculousness of Shiv in the Domino's one. He absolutely nails most of the characters, even the subtle facial movements and speech pattern of Tom. He could actually replace Kendall if needed. The dude is a genius.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Not sure what think of this, but can’t stop watching…
chuckrh wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:17 am
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Last night we finished watching “Freaks and Geeks.”

How was only one episode of this show made?

How did I not see this show for 20-25 years after it debuted???

“Ripple” has been playing in my head all day!

tinnitus photography

I finished watching Euphoria (assuming there isn't another season, which i think would be dumb) and have 3 eps left of Ozark. there have been some holes in Ozark but overall pretty good.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:04 am
I finished watching Euphoria (assuming there isn't another season, which i think would be dumb) and have 3 eps left of Ozark. there have been some holes in Ozark but overall pretty good.
Looks like they are only going to make us wait until April for the final season part 2 of Ozark. I won't put any spoilers here for you. Love that show!

Clams

Post by Clams »

I finished watching Euphoria (assuming there isn't another season, which i think would be dumb)
I'm two episodes in. Damn that's some fucked up shit. My kids (in college) and all their friends have seen it. Did I mention that's some fucked up shit?
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

tinnitus photography

Clams wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:10 am
I finished watching Euphoria (assuming there isn't another season, which i think would be dumb)
I'm two episodes in. Damn that's some fucked up shit. My kids (in college) and all their friends have seen it. Did I mention that's some fucked up shit?
yeah it's out there. all the drugs, tits and dicks you want! inspired music choices, excellent acting and a good storyline. i dug it.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Every time a certain new character from Chicago pops up on screen this season, I say, out loud, “How the fuck is this guy still alive?”
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Two episodes into "Severance" and I'm really digging it
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Finished season 2 of The Righteous Gemstones this week. I like every show Danny McBride has put out on HBO, but at this point I’d rank them:
1. Eastbound and Down
2. The Righteous Gemstones
3. Vice Principals
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I loved Eastbound and Down, but my wife hated it; however, she seems to like Righteous Gemstones more than I!
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:03 am
Finished season 2 of The Righteous Gemstones this week. I like every show Danny McBride has put out on HBO, but at this point I’d rank them:
1. Eastbound and Down
2. The Righteous Gemstones
3. Vice Principals

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I have no idea what's up w/ Mrs. Maisel, but 3 episodes in, the current season is just dreadful. We keep saying we'll give it one more chance but we're close to throwing in the towel. It seems like they're not even trying to be funny, that they're going for some strange form of "dramedy" but they're missing on every level. Too bad.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Zip City wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:12 pm
Two episodes into "Severance" and I'm really digging it
Yup. Loving it.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »