The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brettac1

Re: The TV thread

Post by brettac1 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:27 pm
Today's NYT has a nice retrospective on The Wire twenty years on, focusing on one scene from each season.

Stringer Bell, Omar and Bubbles are among the many indelible characters whose memory is brought back by the article. They just don't make TV like they used to :)
I have probably watched The Wire at least five times straight through over the years since it finished airing and it gives me different feelings each time through. It's my favorite show ever and I don't think anything challenges it.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brettac1 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:40 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Today's NYT has a nice retrospective on The Wire twenty years on, focusing on one scene from each season.

Stringer Bell, Omar and Bubbles are among the many indelible characters whose memory is brought back by the article. They just don't make TV like they used to :)
I have probably watched The Wire at least five times straight through over the years since it finished airing and it gives me different feelings each time through. It's my favorite show ever and I don't think anything challenges it.
That just might be because it's the best show ever.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:13 pm
brettac1 wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

My people. Shouldn’t be surprised. Have you watched We Own This City yet?
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:43 am
beantownbubba wrote:
brettac1 wrote:

I've been saving it for when I'm on vacation for the week of the 4th. Looks terrific and I'm excited to dig into it.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I have really been enjoying the show “Made for Love” on HBO.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

brettac1 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:57 am
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

I've been saving it for when I'm on vacation for the week of the 4th. Looks terrific and I'm excited to dig into it.
It is kind of like a "True Life" version of the Wire. Same writers/producers for the most part. Same Baltimore locations. Many of the same actors changing roles significantly. Bernthal steals the show, again as a guy I would avoid all encounters with if I met in real life. Your prior post about watching the series 5 times and seeing it differently sounds like a post I would have put up. Nothing comes close. Recently saw a video clip of the the greatest Wire quotes. There was background music to it, and it limited the impact. Just the fact that there was no backing soundtrack, except for end of last episode of the season, is a piece of pure genius that I can't think of any other examples.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

oilpiers wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:32 am
Recently saw a video clip of the the greatest Wire quotes.
-"Fuck"
-"Fuck"
-"Fuck!"...

One of the greatest scenes ever.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

oilpiers wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:32 am
brettac1 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:57 am
Mundane Mayhem wrote:

It is kind of like a "True Life" version of the Wire. Same writers/producers for the most part. Same Baltimore locations. Many of the same actors changing roles significantly. Bernthal steals the show, again as a guy I would avoid all encounters with if I met in real life. Your prior post about watching the series 5 times and seeing it differently sounds like a post I would have put up. Nothing comes close. Recently saw a video clip of the the greatest Wire quotes. There was background music to it, and it limited the impact. Just the fact that there was no backing soundtrack, except for end of last episode of the season, is a piece of pure genius that I can't think of any other examples.
I would imagine anyone who loves The Wire will find much to enjoy in We Own This City. It had a few dialogue choices that irked me: certain characters speak in Op-Eds and the show really goes out of its way to remind you over and over and over about the Freddie Gray backdrop/context.

The first critique is probably inevitable when you have a strong point of view and only six episodes in which to make your point. The latter seemed to violate something The Wire did so well, which was to trust that your audience is paying attention and is smart enough to connect the dots.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Fascinating stuff. I want to read the book this is based on.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Just a guess, but it looks like The Offer might be based on a book I mentioned in the book thread, Leave the Gun, Take the Cannoli. If so, that is promising

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

We watched Under the Banner of Heaven and The Dropout on vacation and really liked both. As an Elizabeth Holmes stan, I really enjoyed The Dropout. Absolutely fantastic cast.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

brettac1 wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:48 pm
We watched Under the Banner of Heaven and The Dropout on vacation and really liked both. As an Elizabeth Holmes stan, I really enjoyed The Dropout. Absolutely fantastic cast.
I thought The Dropout was pretty good, too. Haven't seen the other one yet but I'm interested.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

This is really excellent. Jeff Bridges is outstanding as usual.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

chuckrh wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:31 am
This is really excellent. Jeff Bridges is outstanding as usual.
That's on my "to binge" list. Have heard nothing but great things.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bloodlands on Prime: WTF? I have no idea what the makers of this miniseries were thinking. Starts out quite intense, well acted and with a pretty good hook, to the extent one can follow it. But it disintegrates, first w/ one crazy plot twist, and then inevitably once the implications of that plot twist and some inexplicable "decisions" by a couple of major characters work through the rest of the story. I truly wonder what the writers/producers/directors wanted the viewer to take away from this mess, but to me it's ultimately pretty spineless and shies away from saying anything important or interesting. OTOH, my knowledge of the Troubles in Ireland and the Peace Accords which ended them is not cutting edge. Maybe knowing more would help me to understand more, but I doubt it. Really well acted, especially by James Nesbitt as DCI Brannick.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

The Responder - TV series, 6 ep, one season, with Martin Freeman as troubled and struggling, corrupt police officer, set i Liverpool. Great actors. Good show.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

We started The Responder but found the first episode soooo depressing that we stopped, lol. But clearly high quality so maybe we should brave it.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:17 pm
We started The Responder but found the first episode soooo depressing that we stopped, lol. But clearly high quality so maybe we should brave it.
Depressing, yes, but I love depressing ;) Or maybe it's just very British? Great casting on some of the supporting roles. Josh Finan as Marco is hilarious.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

brettac1 wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

have you listened to the Way Down in the Hole podcast w/ Jemele Hill and Van Lathan? essential stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:37 pm
Depressing, yes, but I love depressing
How Scandinavian of you :)

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:18 pm
brettac1 wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

have you listened to the Way Down in the Hole podcast w/ Jemele Hill and Van Lathan? essential stuff.
I caught some of the early ones on YouTube when it first started but fell off of it.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:29 pm
RolanK wrote:
Haha! Yes, it's a thing.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

RolanK wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:39 am
beantownbubba wrote:
RolanK wrote:
Haha! Yes, it's a thing.
There's a big Scandinavian population in Seattle. A factor in why we have a high suicide rate I'm sure.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

chuckrh wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:12 am
RolanK wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Haha! Yes, it's a thing.
There's a big Scandinavian population in Seattle. A factor in why we have a high suicide rate I'm sure.
I believe weather/climate/daylight are factors as well. Never been to Seattle myself, but understand the climate may be somewhat "nordic". So perhaps a combination of genetics and external factors. Finland rank high as well, I believe, so perhaps genetics is not the dominating factor... probably some research on this some where, but too depressed to look it up.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

RolanK wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:10 am
chuckrh wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:12 am
RolanK wrote:

Haha! Yes, it's a thing.
I believe weather/climate/daylight are factors as well. Never been to Seattle myself, but understand the climate may be somewhat "nordic". So perhaps a combination of genetics and external factors. Finland rank high as well, I believe, so perhaps genetics is not the dominating factor... probably some research on this some where, but too depressed to look it up.
On my dad's side his grandparents there was 1 from each (Norway, Sweden, Finland & Denmark). I'm a prophet of doom! :lol:

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

This final season of Better Call Saul has been great! Can't wait for the series finale next week.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

cortez the killer wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:46 am
This final season of Better Call Saul has been great! Can't wait for the series finale next week.
I'm binge watching it right now. I saved it because waiting every week make me crazy (crazier). :lol:

phungi

Post by phungi »

cortez the killer wrote:
final episode is titled: "Saul Gone" :cry:
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

phungi wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:40 am
cortez the killer wrote:
final episode is titled: "Saul Gone" :cry:
They've done as masterful job transitioning back and forth between the show being both a prequel and sequel to Breaking Bad.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

"The Rehearsal" is fucking wild
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever