The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

pearlbeer

Re: The TV thread

Post by pearlbeer »

305 Engine wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 8:14 am
Really enjoyed The Diplomat. Sharp writing. Excellent cast. No complaints.
Im five or so episodes in and while good...as btb said, it is a lot. I think "Swingers and Spies" would have been a better title. :)
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'll be very sad to see Barry and Ted Lasso end
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

pearlbeer wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 9:34 am
305 Engine wrote:
Im five or so episodes in and while good...as btb said, it is a lot. I think "Swingers and Spies" would have been a better title. :)
Might be a UK/US cultural difference but I actually find a story about leading politicians all fucking each other behind closed doors perfectly plausible. In reality theres probably just a lot more cocaine than in this show.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

305 Engine wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 5:40 am
pearlbeer wrote:
305 Engine wrote:
Might be a UK/US cultural difference but I actually find a story about leading politicians all fucking each other behind closed doors perfectly plausible. In reality theres probably just a lot more cocaine than in this show.
I haven't done a real good overthink in a while so if not now, when?

There is no doubt that leading politicians fucking each other (and who knows who else) is as frequent a story/"scandal"* over here as over there. The only real difference I can think of is that, very unscientifically, it seems that scandals over there often involve the aristocracy while here a disproportionate number seem to involve so called "evangelicals" and other Bible thumping hypocrites. I think the sex in The Diplomat was a bit silly but I didn't find that to be the most unrealistic aspect.

What was harder for me to swallow was the US ambassador performing a role totally beyond the job description, working w/ a staff she didn't select but who seem to love her from minute 2, if not 1 (and who never has to undergo the by now required painful Senate hearing and vote), who talks "truth to power" in the most undiplomatic way and who is the only person in several different governments including the US and the UK to think strategically. And at the end of the day, when she does think strategically and speak truth to power, power is usually convinced in less than 2 minutes on the basis of an impromptu speech. At some level all of these criticisms is the nature of the beast (that is, TV drama) but at some point the impossibilities pile up so high that it became for me unintentional comedy.

But as I think I said earlier, focusing only on the negatives is distorting. More positively, as pluses 1, 2 and 3, the show features Keri Russell. Beyond that it is well made and addresses the substance of issues very well for tv fiction and the time goes by quickly and mostly enjoyably with some good banter along the way. I guess I just didn't think it lived up to the pre-release hype.

*Scandal in quotes because it seems like nothing is really scandalous (i.e. having consequences) these days.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:25 am
305 Engine wrote:
pearlbeer wrote:

There is no doubt that leading politicians fucking each other (and who knows who else) is as frequent a story/"scandal"* over here as over there. The only real difference I can think of is that, very unscientifically, it seems that scandals over there often involve the aristocracy while here a disproportionate number seem to involve so called "evangelicals" and other Bible thumping hypocrites. I think the sex in The Diplomat was a bit silly but I didn't find that to be the most unrealistic aspect.

What was harder for me to swallow was the US ambassador performing a role totally beyond the job description, working w/ a staff she didn't select but who seem to love her from minute 2, if not 1 (and who never has to undergo the by now required painful Senate hearing and vote), who talks "truth to power" in the most undiplomatic way and who is the only person in several different governments including the US and the UK to think strategically. And at the end of the day, when she does think strategically and speak truth to power, power is usually convinced in less than 2 minutes on the basis of an impromptu speech. At some level all of these criticisms is the nature of the beast (that is, TV drama) but at some point the impossibilities pile up so high that it became for me unintentional comedy.

But as I think I said earlier, focusing only on the negatives is distorting. More positively, as pluses 1, 2 and 3, the show features Keri Russell. Beyond that it is well made and addresses the substance of issues very well for tv fiction and the time goes by quickly and mostly enjoyably with some good banter along the way. I guess I just didn't think it lived up to the pre-release hype.

*Scandal in quotes because it seems like nothing is really scandalous (i.e. having consequences) these days.
Thats all fair. I think sometimes you'll get a show or a film which on the surface is presenting itself as very realistic but in fact is very much a thriller and dealing with fairly unlikely situations. The contrast can feel jarring. Even The Wire did it occasionally.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:25 am
305 Engine wrote:
pearlbeer wrote:

I don't think the comedy is unintentional at all. It threw me at at first because of some of the implausibility you mention. Then I realized that realism wasn’t the goal at all. It’s a comedy that exists within into own peculiar universe.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I really enjoyed the Ted Lasso finale.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:55 am
I really enjoyed the Ted Lasso finale.
I thought it was great. One of the few shows I've really loved over the last several years. I'll miss it.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I thought the fourth season of Fauda was excellent. Not as good as the fantastic first season but better than the intervening two. Overall I'd put the series in the must see category, especially season one. 2 and 3 are worth seeing and in any case you'll need to see them if you want to understand what's going on in 4.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

I finally finished Succession this weekend. Great show. Not positive I put it on my HBO Mt Rushmore but perhaps.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

brettac1 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:42 am
I finally finished Succession this weekend. Great show. Not positive I put it on my HBO Mt Rushmore but perhaps.
Logan Roy should be on the Mt Rushmore. Now f*ck off! :D

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

chuckrh wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:20 am
brettac1 wrote:
Logan Roy should be on the Mt Rushmore. Now f*ck off! :D
No doubt he's an iconic character!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Just binged half the new season, couldn't sleep. Excellent with great soundtrack.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yeah, looking forward to jumping back into the Bear, hopefully this weekend.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I agree with what appears to be the unanimous consensus that the second season of The Bear is excellent, with one caveat and one spotlight:

The caveat is that the 10th and last episode is disappointing. Awkward, strained (in the wrong ways) and at least to me unsatisfying. The spotlight is on episode 6 (the Christmas dinner) which, short of shows about the Holocaust or wrongly convicted alleged murderers, is some of the most intense tv I've ever seen and completely, totally dead on. Which does remind me of another quibble which is that the overuse of extreme close ups throughout the season was, for me claustrophobic and eventually over the top/counter-productive.

But overall I totally enjoyed this season and appreciated the way they made important changes to the show and allowed most of the characters to grow while staying consistent to the big picture. I hope there is a season 3.

Clams

Post by Clams »

We're all trying to find the guy who did this
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Clams wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:32 pm
God-tier.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
Love this show, though Season 3 was not my favorite
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:13 am
Clams wrote:
Love this show, though Season 3 was not my favorite

Agree, although season 3 does have its moments...Image
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jack Ryan season 4: You have GOT to be kidding me. They make no attempt at even trying to explain the plot and how the various elements tie together. I suspect a lot of important stuff is still lying on the cutting room floor (residing inside the cutting computer's hard drive?). Plus the derring do of the good guys approaches marvel comic absurdity for supposed actual humans. For a while it survives on momentum alone but even that gives out eventually. The 2 separate "climactic" speeches are total duds. Whoever the writers are, they are not Aaron Sorkin. The speeches, meant to sum up important plot points and themes, don't carry their burden at all which punches a big hole in the overall show. The second speech is also intended to deliver the last big reveal/plot twist, but it is delivered at least a full episode or two after the twist has become obvious. I could go into all the small stuff they get completely wrong but there's just no point, it's all part of a second rate effort. Really, really disappointing. Krasinski and Pierce do try hard, though.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Welcome back Raylon!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to it, but I'm really looking forward to the new Justified.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

brettac1 wrote:
i finally finished it last night, too much work travel to keep up in real time. fantastic show. that America Decides episode was unreal, as was Church and State.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:37 am
I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to it, but I'm really looking forward to the new Justified.
First 2 episodes were really good.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Three episodes in to McCartney 3 2 1, the McCartney/Rick Rubin documentary and I'm loving it. Very different than the wonderful Get Back series of a while ago but equally good in its way. The episodes zip by incredibly quickly; I've been surprised when each one ended. Rubin may not ask the most pointed or focused questions but the laid back conversational mode the 2 establish works well, too, and Rubin manages to walk the fanboy/hey, I'm pretty good at what I do line very well. McCartney is (I guess at this point I have to say, as always) charismatic, incisive, witty, self deprecating and has what seems to be an incredible memory especially considering his likely mental state through most of the era covered. Mad respect for Sir Paul who manages once again to come across as a genius of the highest order while also seeming reasonably humble and like a very fine human being. Some of the little twists and turns and moments of inspiration he describes are mind boggling in the contrast between how simple he makes them seem while what he describes is pretty much mind boggling and reserved for maybe a half dozen people on the planet. Rubin manages to get it while also being suitably awed. Highly recommended at least through the 3 episodes I've seen.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:21 pm
Three episodes in to McCartney 3 2 1, the McCartney/Rick Rubin documentary and I'm loving it. Very different than the wonderful Get Back series of a while ago but equally good in its way. The episodes zip by incredibly quickly; I've been surprised when each one ended. Rubin may not ask the most pointed or focused questions but the laid back conversational mode the 2 establish works well, too, and Rubin manages to walk the fanboy/hey, I'm pretty good at what I do line very well. McCartney is (I guess at this point I have to say, as always) charismatic, incisive, witty, self deprecating and has what seems to be an incredible memory especially considering his likely mental state through most of the era covered. Mad respect for Sir Paul who manages once again to come across as a genius of the highest order while also seeming reasonably humble and like a very fine human being. Some of the little twists and turns and moments of inspiration he describes are mind boggling in the contrast between how simple he makes them seem while what he describes is pretty much mind boggling and reserved for maybe a half dozen people on the planet. Rubin manages to get it while also being suitably awed. Highly recommended at least through the 3 episodes I've seen.
Yep, its really good. There's a mutual respect between them that seems to get Mccartney to open up.

whatwouldcooleydo?

If you have access to HBO/Max you’re gonna want to watch this. Truly insane story

whatwouldcooleydo?

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:34 am
If you have access to HBO/Max you’re gonna want to watch this. Truly insane story

Watched this earlier. Was pretty good.

We watched Poker Face this past weekend and that was a fun show.