The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tinnitus photography

Re: The TV thread

Post by tinnitus photography »

i kinda can't wait for Succession to come back... those two seasons were so excellent. total scumbags, all of them!

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:13 pm
i kinda can't wait for Succession to come back... those two seasons were so excellent. total scumbags, all of them!
I told someone that I've never loved a show while simultaneously hating every single person on it.

tinnitus photography

rlipps wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:31 am
I told someone that I've never loved a show while simultaneously hating every single person on it.
Greg is the only somewhat redeemable person but he's mainly just too stupid to be craven and evil.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:00 pm
The Bureau is a French spy series that I hadn't heard of and kind of stumbled into. The first season was very good - very intense and totally absorbing. We didn't quite binge it (too intense for more than a couple of episodes at a time) but on the other hand we finished all 10 episodes in just over a week. The plot is hard to follow at times, but one gets enough of it to ride w/ it and the confusion is overcome by the characters and the individual scenes. Be forewarned, however, that some major plot points are not resolved by the end of the season.

If I understand it correctly, the series is showing on Sundance and season 1 is free until the end of the month. We accessed it thru Amazon Prime and will probably pay for at least the next season.
One of my favorite shows the last few years. I have meant to come here and post about it but somehow forgot. Finished the last season a while back and I think it holds up very well through all of them. Love to see a show were the actors are speaking different language from "the usuals ones". Russian, Iranian, Syrian etc all sounds pretty authentic and adds to how I perceive this show. I also find the plot(s) quite realistic (although I dont really have any way to confirm this other than a Norwegian "Secret Service" agent stating he was a huge fan and thought it to be very realistic), both on a political and personal level between the characters.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:09 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
The Bureau is a French spy series that I hadn't heard of and kind of stumbled into. The first season was very good - very intense and totally absorbing. We didn't quite binge it (too intense for more than a couple of episodes at a time) but on the other hand we finished all 10 episodes in just over a week. The plot is hard to follow at times, but one gets enough of it to ride w/ it and the confusion is overcome by the characters and the individual scenes. Be forewarned, however, that some major plot points are not resolved by the end of the season.
One of my favorite shows the last few years. I have meant to come here and post about it but somehow forgot. Finished the last season a while back and I think it holds up very well through all of them. Love to see a show were the actors are speaking different language from "the usuals ones". Russian, Iranian, Syrian etc all sounds pretty authentic and adds to how I perceive this show. I also find the plot(s) quite realistic (although I dont really have any way to confirm this other than a Norwegian "Secret Service" agent stating he was a huge fan and thought it to be very realistic), both on a political and personal level between the characters.
I agree with almost all of that. Having just started Season 2, I'm not sure where this is going but the plot point about Guilliaume's actions w/in the DGSE (trying not to drop a spoiler) has me wondering on the realism point - not that it seems impossible, I'm just skeptical about an agent's ability to do that much manipulation on the inside. Also, the question must be asked: If a Norwegian Secret Service agent tells you that he's a Norwegian Secret Service Agent, can he really be a Norwegian Secret Service agent? :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:47 am
RolanK wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
I agree with almost all of that. Having just started Season 2, I'm not sure where this is going but the plot point about Guilliaume's actions w/in the DGSE (trying not to drop a spoiler) has me wondering on the realism point - not that it seems impossible, I'm just skeptical about an agent's ability to do that much manipulation on the inside. Also, the question must be asked: If a Norwegian Secret Service agent tells you that he's a Norwegian Secret Service Agent, can he really be a Norwegian Secret Service agent? :)
Well, I see your point, but that is sort of the main premiss for the whole show... there are internal issues within the department and inter-person relations, politics and HR-issues that affects decision making and everything that goes with it. Probably something that everyone who has ever had a job at an office can relate to. I postulate that this is as much of an "Office-show" like and Mad Men and, well, The Office, but with subtle french humor, than it is a pure spy show.

The "quote" from the secret service agent was something I read in the news, and was actually how I started watching when everyone else were already on season 3. I found the article (Norwegian). Turns out he was a retired agent in the norwegian military intelligence agency (probably a more accurate translation than Secret Service)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:45 pm
Well, I see your point, but that is sort of the main premiss for the whole show... there are internal issues within the department and inter-person relations, politics and HR-issues that affects decision making and everything that goes with it. Probably something that everyone who has ever had a job at an office can relate to. I postulate that this is as much of an "Office-show" like and Mad Men and, well, The Office, but with subtle french humor, than it is a pure spy show.
You're right.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

RolanK wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

If I understand it correctly, the series is showing on Sundance and season 1 is free until the end of the month. We accessed it thru Amazon Prime and will probably pay for at least the next season.
Someone has kept recommending this to me constantly over the past five years. At the height of lockdown I gave in and ended up bingeing through all 5 seasons.

Just a superb show. Brilliant writing. Great ensemble cast and Kassovitz very charismatic. Wonderful surprise.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:11 pm
rlipps wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:31 am
Greg is the only somewhat redeemable person but he's mainly just too stupid to be craven and evil.
I recently stopped HBO because it has really gone downhill the past 2 years. Succession is THE exception. Easily my favorite show the past several years, any network/streaming service. Might have to get HBO Max after season 3 is over, and binge it.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

only two eps in so far but im not really feeling the new season of fargo at all.

jessie buckley is fantastic but chris rock and jason schwartzman are terribly out of place as the leads, both feel way too much like comedians to fit the shows humor, and its just a limp gangster tale with none of the charm of any prior season. the show needs well intentioned doofuses tripping in over their heads and so far thats not here at all.

i had some issues with season 3 aiming well beyond the scope of the movie and seasons 1/2 but it had great performances and an enjoyable plot. this seems like its going even bigger into wider social issues but has none of the good things

ways to go so we'll see i guess

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Shakespeare wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:32 pm
only two eps in so far but im not really feeling the new season of fargo at all.

jessie buckley is fantastic but chris rock and jason schwartzman are terribly out of place as the leads, both feel way too much like comedians to fit the shows humor, and its just a limp gangster tale with none of the charm of any prior season. the show needs well intentioned doofuses tripping in over their heads and so far thats not here at all.

i had some issues with season 3 aiming well beyond the scope of the movie and seasons 1/2 but it had great performances and an enjoyable plot. this seems like its going even bigger into wider social issues but has none of the good things

I am definitely a fan and liked the previous three seasons. I did feel season 3 was the weakest but I re-watched it during C-19 nothing to do and it was way better the second time.
Season 4, I am not ready to give judgement but it is definitely slower and the story lines seem all over the place. I am hoping last nights episode will start to bring me in more, haven't watched yet. I will continue to watch just hoping it lives up to the hype.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I finished watching Breaking Bad, and have started Better Call Saul.

BCS is fun, but as with any prequel, the stakes are REALLY low (as you already know all the people that survive, so any "life or death" situation is far less dramatic)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

hendooman wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:45 pm
Shakespeare wrote:

I am definitely a fan and liked the previous three seasons. I did feel season 3 was the weakest but I re-watched it during C-19 nothing to do and it was way better the second time.
Season 4, I am not ready to give judgement but it is definitely slower and the story lines seem all over the place. I am hoping last nights episode will start to bring me in more, haven't watched yet. I will continue to watch just hoping it lives up to the hype.
i think 3 went off the rails a bit with global conspiracy plotlines, and the ending was pretty bad, but david thewlis was incredible (either him or billy bob have been the best role of the series imo. id give the slight nod to billy bob for encapsulating several different characters in his performance but thewlis was one of the most repulsive-but-cant-look-away performances ive ever seen) and i thought a lot of the black humor was great. maybe past seasons having so many incredible performances set the bar too high to keep matching and this ones more lowkey cast could work in its favor but its really gonna have to get going soon.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Zip City wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:49 pm

BCS is fun, but as with any prequel, the stakes are REALLY low (as you already know all the people that survive, so any "life or death" situation is far less dramatic)

I gave BCS 1 1/2 seasons to click, but it just did not work for me. Decent show, but I could never get over that it seemed like a lazy & shameless money grab.
Now it's dark.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I have started Better Call Saul in the past six months/year or so, but it has yet to reel me in the way that Breaking Bad did.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Been through all seasons of Better Call Saul. Imo it is up there with Breaking Bad. Yes, you know where some people end up based on BB, but there are enough new characters in BCS that are not in BB to make it interesting and entertaining. Some marvelous acting and incredible writing further down the road.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Just started the binge on this. Excellent hard sci fi so far.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Shakespeare wrote:

I wanted to think you were jumping the gun on your assessment, but after episode 4, you hit every nail on the head. It is almost like a cartoon compared to previous seasons, which were surrealistic in their own sense. The best thing for me to look foreword to is I upgraded to Hulu with no commercials today, so I don't have to see 12 pro McConnell commercials every episode.

tinnitus photography

Flea wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:49 pm
Zip City wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:49 pm

I gave BCS 1 1/2 seasons to click, but it just did not work for me. Decent show, but I could never get over that it seemed like a lazy & shameless money grab.
Beaverdam wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:49 pm
I have started Better Call Saul in the past six months/year or so, but it has yet to reel me in the way that Breaking Bad did.

i am with RolanK... in some regards, I think BSC is far superior to BB, and overall at least on par with it. It's definitely a different feeling show, but i really love the development how Jimmy McGill turns into Saul Goodman, and how he warps and distorts those in his sphere (in a similar but less sinister way as Walter White did). the seasons w/ Mike McKean as Chuck was as good as TV gets imo. shocked that he didn't win an Emmy for his role. and let's talk about Odenkirk... what amazing strides he's made as an actor. can you imagine he'd turn into this after Mr Show?

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

You're missing the best part of BCS.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I'm with Tin and Rod. I loved BB, but Better Call Saul is superior. The writing and acting is off the chart. And I am deeply in love with Kim.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

pearlbeer wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:59 pm
I'm with Tin and Rod. I loved BB, but Better Call Saul is superior. The writing and acting is off the chart. And I am deeply in love with Kim.
I'm not sure which one I prefer, but both are on the short list of my favorite shows ever, along with The Wire and The Americans.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

oilpiers wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:52 pm
Shakespeare wrote:

I wanted to think you were jumping the gun on your assessment, but after episode 4, you hit every nail on the head. It is almost like a cartoon compared to previous seasons, which were surrealistic in their own sense. The best thing for me to look foreword to is I upgraded to Hulu with no commercials today, so I don't have to see 12 pro McConnell commercials every episode.
im through episode 4 now too and its still not winning me over

somehow andrew bird is becoming the closest thing to a saving grace for me. hes exactly the sort of bumbling character the show thrives on, but theyve been really slow tying him into the story

im still watching every new ep as soon as i can because i still think it has potential to get great in a hurry but ive about given up any hope of the overall cast coming together like past seasons. they gambled big on the leads and whiffed

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

LBRod wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:40 pm
You're missing the best part of BCS.
wishful thinking: the future Mrs Chuckrh!

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Shakespeare wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:29 pm
oilpiers wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:52 pm
Shakespeare wrote:

im through episode 4 now too and its still not winning me over

somehow andrew bird is becoming the closest thing to a saving grace for me. hes exactly the sort of bumbling character the show thrives on, but theyve been really slow tying him into the story

im still watching every new ep as soon as i can because i still think it has potential to get great in a hurry but ive about given up any hope of the overall cast coming together like past seasons. they gambled big on the leads and whiffed
I see nothing special in the Andrew Bird character. I think it is just something for hip music fans to latch on to. He is not a great actor by any means.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Accidentally double posted. Don't see a delete for this.
Last edited by oilpiers on Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Not too impressed with Fargo season 4. Agree with what is being said above. Will continue watching though, to see how it develops.

Also a bit disappointed that there are no "Jaaa" or "Uffda!" in this season.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

305 Engine wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:59 pm
RolanK wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Someone has kept recommending this to me constantly over the past five years. At the height of lockdown I gave in and ended up bingeing through all 5 seasons.

Just a superb show. Brilliant writing. Great ensemble cast and Kassovitz very charismatic. Wonderful surprise.
Finished season 5 last nite and agree wholeheartedly w/ both of you. Superb show. The ending blew us both away. One can always find a few nits to pick but here they are remarkably few and extremely microscopic. I did enjoy and find most interesting how they seemed to evolve to a methodology of having characters explain particularly convoluted plot points as part of the "regular" dialogue between characters, lol. My guess is that they were responding to complaints about how complicated parts of the plot are, but as I think I said before, even w/out the explanations they managed to keep the momentum, suspense and quality going. Man, that ending!

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Yes, the ending is intense. But also, SPOILER ALERT, imo the "right way" to end the story. There was just no way there could be a happy ending. It was never "ment to be".
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa