The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flea

Re: The TV thread

Post by Flea »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Flea wrote:I rather enjoyed the live reenactments of old All In The Family and The Jeffersons episodes the other night.

We liked them both, but in the All in the Family portion Woody Harrelson didn't quite capture Archie. Marisa Tomei, on the other hand was incredible as Edith and the rest of the cast was good as well. The scene stealer, in my opinion, was Jamie Fox as George Jefferson. The guy had it DOWN. Overall the takeaways were that 1) they simply don't write television like this anymore 2) if they did no one would be that brave 3) it's amazing how these same issues are still relevant more than four decades on. Overall a highly enjoyable experience.

As a side note we got a kick out of the dog's reactions to our laughing our asses off. I cannot remember the last time I saw something funny on TV so they weren't used to it. There hasn't been a TV comedy worth watching in twenty years and every time we try to watch one we turn it off in five minutes. Those were the days indeed.
I agree with every word of that.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:I'm a little surprised. I stopped watching Bar Rescue because the episodes follow one of only a very few scripts that eventually get boring (though I do think what appears to be a newer style that mostly ignores the "race" to finish the physical changes is a big improvement). And Taffer is certainly who he is. But I do think he has a talent for finding and honing in on personal, interpersonal and organizational weak spots and forcing principals to confront them. HIs approach is surely not everyone's cup of tea as a marriage counseling methodology but I don't see why it wouldn't work in the right cases. Whether it will make for interesting TV is a very different question. If and how Taffer adapts to a field where he actually doesn't have demonstrated expertise and experience could also prove interesting (though I'm guessing the show will not focus on this lol).
Was pretty taken aback when in a recent episode Taffer's guest was "one of his best friends in the world," David Portnoy of Barstool Sports infamy. I find Portnoy to be a 100% loathsome tool from what I know of him....... and you know what they say about the company one keeps
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Won’t be able to watch it until Sunday night, but surely I’m not alone getting excited for the Deadwood movie tomorrow, right?
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

whatwouldcooleydo?

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Won’t be able to watch it until Sunday night, but surely I’m not alone getting excited for the Deadwood movie tomorrow, right?
Hell yeah! May not be able to watch until Saturday...... and anyone who doubts me sucks cock by choice :lol: :lol: :lol:

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Wife & I just got around to watching The Shield. We saw the episode last night where a despondent Shane is listening to "18 Wheels of Love."
Let the outside air in

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Just finished Barry. It was good and I'm looking forward to Season 3. The character NoHo Hank is too fucking funny. This is one of his best lines...

Last edited by bovine knievel on Fri May 31, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

whatwouldcooleydo?

bovine knievel wrote:Just finished Barry. I was good and I'm looking forward to Season 3. The character NoHo Hank is too fucking funny. This is one of his best lines...

With you 100% on the show and Hank, he steals every scene he’s in. That quote made me spit beer from laughing when we watched that episode. I always thought Hader was talented as hell but he’s elevated his game with Barry

Another favorite was the feral martial arts tween girl. “She is not of this world!”

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: There is no question that the Taff is a master of bar science- hell, he invented the damn discipline- but I have yet to see any
sign of him being a marriage-science master :lol:

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/ ... bar-rescue
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: There is no question that the Taff is a master of bar science- hell, he invented the damn discipline- but I have yet to see any
sign of him being a marriage-science master :lol:

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/ ... bar-rescue
I'd call that a full and frank exchange of views :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I don't remember seeing the UK show Line of Duty mentioned here. We just finished season 1 and enjoyed it a whole lot. The ending was disappointing, but OTOH, it didn't seem possible that they'd be able to bring the story to a satisfying close so I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed that they didn't. OTOOH, that's why they get paid the big bucks. Apparently the later seasons are very popular and of similar quality so I'm looking forward to delving deeper.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

schlanky wrote:Wife & I just got around to watching The Shield. We saw the episode last night where a despondent Shane is listening to "18 Wheels of Love."

And last night we caught the episode that opens with "Blessing and a Curse."
Let the outside air in

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Anyone watching Good Omens on Amazon Prime? Sadly it’s only six episodes but so far it’s amazing
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

Anyone else? Late to the game on this but once in we are totally in! So fuckin' hilarious on multiple levels. We are almost caught up to real time on this so I'm gonna be bummed when I actually have to wait for new episodes.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:Pick to Hit: So it appears that John Taffer of Bar Rescue fame has a new show premiering in June called Marriage Rescue. I assume the title says it all. I feel vindicated because I've always said that what he does more often than not on Bar Rescue is fix dysfunctional families (whether literally related or not). Hopefully it will be more interesting than, say, Maury or Jerry Springer.
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2019/6/12/ ... jon-taffer

I am linking to this article for no other reason than this gem:

Reconnection occurs via a series of bonding activities—skydiving, parasailing, salsa dancing, clay-doll modeling. (A husband enthusiastically attaches a pair of “boobies” to his: “That’s the best part,” he says, warmly.) These moments are interspersed with Taffer stomping around like the bouncer at the Bada Bing! club to berate the lovers for being insufficiently warm, caring, interested, honest, and/or trusting. True to form, he tends toward vulgarity and volume: “That’s such a crock of shit,” he tells a wife; “FIX IT!” he shrieks at a husband.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Taffer stomping around like the bouncer at the Bada Bing!
I once told my wife I wanted a John Taffer pull string doll. You pull the string and he says "This is disgusting!" and "YOU'RE A FAILURE!"
Let the outside air in

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Flea wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:As a side note we got a kick out of the dog's reactions to our laughing our asses off. I cannot remember the last time I saw something funny on TV so they weren't used to it. There hasn't been a TV comedy worth watching in twenty years and every time we try to watch one we turn it off in five minutes. Those were the days indeed.
I agree with every word of that.
No love for The Good Place?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Just binged the first season of Barry. I fucking love it.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Zip City wrote:Just binged the first season of Barry. I fucking love it.
This guy steals the show.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:I don't remember seeing the UK show Line of Duty mentioned here. We just finished season 1 and enjoyed it a whole lot. The ending was disappointing, but OTOH, it didn't seem possible that they'd be able to bring the story to a satisfying close so I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed that they didn't. OTOOH, that's why they get paid the big bucks. Apparently the later seasons are very popular and of similar quality so I'm looking forward to delving deeper.
Two thumbs up for Season 2. Intuitively the ending felt like it worked, but when we thought about it we were confused as hell. Enough to check out some of the internet blogging on the show to get some insight/direction. While that normally doesn't sound like a description of a successful show, what can I say? It worked. Great story, great acting, very intense.
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Reconnection occurs via a series of bonding activities—skydiving, parasailing, salsa dancing, clay-doll modeling. (A husband enthusiastically attaches a pair of “boobies” to his: “That’s the best part,” he says, warmly.) These moments are interspersed with Taffer stomping around like the bouncer at the Bada Bing! club to berate the lovers for being insufficiently warm, caring, interested, honest, and/or trusting. True to form, he tends toward vulgarity and volume: “That’s such a crock of shit,” he tells a wife; “FIX IT!” he shrieks at a husband.
:lol: :lol:

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

on episode 5, so far so good!

scotto

Post by scotto »

chuckrh wrote:on episode 5, so far so good!

Three episodes in and I concur. Simultaneously darker and funnier. Although I'm this close to an '80s overdose.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image

Anyone else? Late to the game on this but once in we are totally in! So fuckin' hilarious on multiple levels. We are almost caught up to real time on this so I'm gonna be bummed when I actually have to wait for new episodes.
That show is so god damned funny.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I don't see any Letterkenny in here.

Give your collective balls a tug, ya titfuckers.

PonyGirl

Post by PonyGirl »

Iowan wrote:I don't see any Letterkenny in here.

Give your collective balls a tug, ya titfuckers.
Been a big fan of that show for years. Very glad to hear it has exposure in the States and that people actually like it. I wasn't sure its brand of particularly Canadian humour and weirdness would resonate in other countries.
His facial expression is terrifying. He's basically the equine Chucky.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image

That show is so god damned funny.
Stop quoting your dad’s law commercials!

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Season 2 of Succession on HBO starts in August. I really enjoyed season one, and did not want to be lost when 2 started, so I am rewatching it. I think it is in the top 10 of any HBO show ever. At first it seems like another version of Billions, but it is miles ahead in script and acting. Maybe not so much in music soundtrack, but that piano riff from the theme that plays periodically is pretty great. It is a family that apparently is an amalgamation of Rupert Murdoch and Donald Trump, with out the political angle so far. The main children are direct caricatures of Eric, Don Jr., and the Kushners. There is even a Baron, but he is 20 years older instead of younger. Roman, (Keiren Caulkin's Eric?), steals every scene he is in. Just wished HBO dropped their shows like Netflix. I like binging shows like this.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Started Vice Principals on HBO GO last night. I don’t love it as much as Danny McBride’s (in my opinion) masterpiece Eastbound and Down, but it’s kept me laughing pretty hard throughout. Must see for anyone that’s ever worked in education.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

whatwouldcooleydo?

We just powered through Stranger Things season 3 over the past 3-4 days. Really enjoyed it. I would imagine if one liked the previous seasons then this one will be liked as well. Lots of good performances throughout but gotta give a shoutout to the Robin character, played by Maya Hawke, daughter of Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke (and her lineage is literally all over her face). The interplay between her and Steve may be the best part of the whole season. If this role is any indication of her abilities, I predict a bright future for her. I know she is in the Tarantino film coming out next week, no idea how prominent the role is.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Enjoying this on Netflix.
[+] Makses me want to eat my way through Mexico
[-] Voiceover with talking tacos during the intros of each episode.

Probably would have passed on a few of the dishes presented at the fear of getting sick but damn these looks sooo tasty.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I don't think I've seen anyone mention Welcome to Sweden before. It's a cute comedy from the Poehler family available on Hulu. Nothing groundbreaking or earth shattering but it's fun, like a comedy is supposed to be.

Also on Hulu, MI5 from the BBC is very disappointing. The show apparently had a 10 year run in the UK and won the British emmy for best drama. It's ok, nothing wrong w/ it, but completely undistinguished.

The Brief, which I think I mentioned before, played out between these 2 (but on Netflix). Keeps one's attention but never really takes off into truly interesting territory. But it threatens to often enough to be worth watching on a slow nite and the main characters are all well played and genuinely likeable (except for the ones we're meant not to like who are sweetly unlikeable).