The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: The TV thread

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

just powered through this earlier in the week, totally hooked

finally started watching the comeback 4th season from 2013, forgot just how much I like this show, even though the Netflix stuff isn't as good as the older seasons

the upcoming season is characterized as "Making a Murder meets Donald Trump," can't wait

http://deadline.com/2016/01/arrested-de ... 201678327/
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

In what should be a surprise to no one:

Steven Avery of ‘Making a Murderer’ Files an Appeal
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

anyone else watch this? We have from start and they are now on season 3. It is one of those shows I can't say i watch with a totally clear conscience, but it is compelling and entertaining and infuriating and exploitative all at once. It's about a youth football league in (where else?) Texas, but this isn't your average league. There is a lot of money spent all the way around (uniforms with names and most teams enter the field out of those huge inflatable helmets, just like college teams), the league has its own radio network (WTF?), and there is illicit recruiting of kids/families by "organizations." Like all kinds of youth sports, there are over-the-top coaches, overzealous families, and kids who just want to play sports caught in the middle. The show has been both roundly criticized and praised and probably deserves both equally. The show itself has high production qualities, especially the on-field camera work, and some of the players are amazing athletes, kids I would expect to see playing college ball down the road should they not get burnt out or injured between now and then.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Watched episode 1 last night. Digging it.

David Schwimmer was cracking me up, though.

I think I have a thing for chain-smoking Marcia Clark...
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

whatwouldcooleydo?

TW_2.0 wrote:Image

Cards on table: I was totally obsessed with this when it all went down, probably should be ashamed of how well-informed I made myself re; all things O.J. trial. So when I saw this coming I was totally psyched up, and even more so once lots of positive reviews started coming in before the first episode aired. I was excited when Tuesday finally got here, but gotta say I was a little let down by episode 1. Cuba Gooding as O.J. is awful, he seemed to make no effort at all to remotely "become" O.J., it's like he just played him like every other Cuba Gooding character ever. Plus he seems way small to be O.J. Sarah Paulson as Marcia Clark and Courtney B. Vance as Johnnie Cochran were both excellent. For that matter, Sarah Paulson is good in everything she does. Travolta's Shapiro is overacting at its finest/worst, plus he seems way too big to be Shapiro. Schwimmer kills me, so awful. Best line was from him: "Don't kill yourself in here, it's where Kimmy sleeps" :D

The dude playing Kato Kaelen absolutely nailed it!

All that said, can't wait for next Tuesday :lol:

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

Cards on table: I was totally obsessed with this when it all went down, probably should be ashamed of how well-informed I made myself re; all things O.J. trial. So when I saw this coming I was totally psyched up, and even more so once lots of positive reviews started coming in before the first episode aired. I was excited when Tuesday finally got here, but gotta say I was a little let down by episode 1. Cuba Gooding as O.J. is awful, he seemed to make no effort at all to remotely "become" O.J., it's like he just played him like every other Cuba Gooding character ever. Plus he seems way small to be O.J. Sarah Paulson as Marcia Clark and Courtney B. Vance as Johnnie Cochran were both excellent. For that matter, Sarah Paulson is good in everything she does. Travolta's Shapiro is overacting at its finest/worst, plus he seems way too big to be Shapiro. Schwimmer kills me, so awful. Best line was from him: "Don't kill yourself in here, it's where Kimmy sleeps" :D

Totally agree on Cuba - especially his physical appearance. WAY too small.

Kato was amazing.

Miss Isringhausen is definitely good in everything.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I forgot about The People vs. O.J. Simpson. I'll have dig up the first episode somewhere and record the rest.

Really excited about 11.22.63 on Hulu. One of my favorite books of the past few years. I know it will be quite a bit different but if they manage the feel of the thing I'm going to dig it.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Any Friday Night Lights fans on here? I'm almost done with the 5th season and I'm devastated that its coming to a close.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:Any Friday Night Lights fans on here? I'm almost done with the 5th season and I'm devastated that its coming to a close.
Hell yeah!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

that, The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood, etc... all on my list to watch.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:that, The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood, etc... all on my list to watch.
Obviously you've got to start going to fewer rock shows. :lol:

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i think 2016 is the year that starts.

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: Cuba Gooding as O.J. is awful, he seemed to make no effort at all to remotely "become" O.J., it's like he just played him like every other Cuba Gooding character ever. Plus he seems way small to be O.J.
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... gooding-jr

Just about every casting decision is spot on. Sarah Paulson looks enough like DA Marcia Clark that we can relax and enjoy her stunning performance. Same with Courtney B Vance as Johnnie Cochran, Sterling K Brown as Christopher Darden and David Schwimmer as Robert Kardashian. They all look enough like the real people that it smooths over any lingering suspension of disbelief.

So, OJ comes out of his house, either right after he murdered Nicole and Ron or right after taking a nice, peaceful nap, depending on your level of belief in Mr Simpson. I’m fine until he starts talking. His whiny, gravely voice sounds absolutely nothing like the real OJ Simpson’s deep, commanding tones. Also, OJ was and is a large man. He was a professional football player, after all. Cuba Gooding Jr looks like the “before” photo in one of those home fitness infomercials.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: Cuba Gooding as O.J. is awful, he seemed to make no effort at all to remotely "become" O.J., it's like he just played him like every other Cuba Gooding character ever. Plus he seems way small to be O.J.
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... gooding-jr

Just about every casting decision is spot on. Sarah Paulson looks enough like DA Marcia Clark that we can relax and enjoy her stunning performance. Same with Courtney B Vance as Johnnie Cochran, Sterling K Brown as Christopher Darden and David Schwimmer as Robert Kardashian. They all look enough like the real people that it smooths over any lingering suspension of disbelief.

So, OJ comes out of his house, either right after he murdered Nicole and Ron or right after taking a nice, peaceful nap, depending on your level of belief in Mr Simpson. I’m fine until he starts talking. His whiny, gravely voice sounds absolutely nothing like the real OJ Simpson’s deep, commanding tones. Also, OJ was and is a large man. He was a professional football player, after all. Cuba Gooding Jr looks like the “before” photo in one of those home fitness infomercials.

Cuba Gooding Jr. ruins everything he is in. He is either smiling all the time like the "friendly negro", or mustering up overacting rage. I simply could not believe that he was cast in this role, especially by a production team that cloned Marcia Clark.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I forgot about The People vs. O.J. Simpson. I'll have dig up the first episode somewhere and record the rest.

Really excited about 11.22.63 on Hulu. One of my favorite books of the past few years. I know it will be quite a bit different but if they manage the feel of the thing I'm going to dig it.

Lets hope they keep the word poundcake out of the miniseries. My biggest problem with that book was the guy was supposed to be born in 1980 or something like that, yet so many of his early 60's cultural references and knowledge was what someone Stephen Kings age would know, not someone born 20 years after the assassination. He knew who Sam Sham was? And he sees him before he was famous? Not exactly a cultural icon even in his time, never mind to Generation Xer's

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Just got around to binge-watching Sons of Anarchy.

Almost through the 1st season.

Digging it so far.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

TW_2.0 wrote:Just got around to binge-watching Sons of Anarchy.

Digging it so far.
Really enjoyable but beware, it drops off a cliff in the 4th season (I think; could be the 3rd). Well, at least it did for me; I know it went on for quite a while after that so it could just be me.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:Any Friday Night Lights fans on here? I'm almost done with the 5th season and I'm devastated that its coming to a close.

Yes sir! Love it.

I was so fond of the movie that I was hesitant to give the Tav show a chance but it was very good.

One of the few atV shows of the last twenty years that I actually enjoyed and could sit down and watch.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

My wife has been watching it and although I don't watch much TV at all I want to check it out.

Man I re beer that trial like it was yesterday. My momma watched nearly every minute of it. It was sort of the backdrop of the summer that I was seventeen.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Digging it so far.
Well shit. That 2nd to last episode of the 1st season sure did end with a big bummer.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

We are now onseason 2 of FARGO. Excellent
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

beantownbubba wrote:

Digging it so far.
Really enjoyable but beware, it drops off a cliff in the 4th season (I think; could be the 3rd). Well, at least it did for me; I know it went on for quite a while after that so it could just be me.

I could never get into S.O.A. For better or worse there was a point in my life where I spent a fair bit of time around the 1% crowd and the show gets so much stuff wrong. The whole concept of Hamlet on Harley's is cool but the execution is terrible. Have you even seen an outlaw MC member riding a bike with a fairing?
Keep calm and have a cigar

whatwouldcooleydo?

episode 2 of O.J. had me thinking Cuba Gooding was evoking his (title) character from Radio more than he was the Juice

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Steve French wrote:We are now onseason 2 of FARGO. Excellent
Monsieur francais! Great to see you.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Steve French wrote:We are now onseason 2 of FARGO. Excellent
You're in for a treat. Actually better than season 1 which I would have thought impossible.

whatwouldcooleydo?

for those on the OJ train:

http://adequateman.deadspin.com/i-m-too ... 1758528043

interesting comments, plus two things: (1) apparently ESPN has a 7.5 hour 30 for 30 coming on OJ, and (2) multiple people comment that they had big crushes on Marcia Clark, something I find surprising and a bit disturbing

whatwouldcooleydo?

TW_2.0 wrote:

Digging it so far.
Well shit. That 2nd to last episode of the 1st season sure did end with a big bummer.
We watched in real-time so it's been ages since I saw the episode you refer to. A little refresher re: said big bummer, if you please

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

I'm watching the Grammys for the first time since I can't even remember. Most of it is terrible but I thought Lady GaGa's tribute to Bowie was amazing.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

better call saul.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

better call saul.