The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Slipkid42

Re: The TV thread

Post by Slipkid42 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:Oh, I didn't know it was on shaky ground.
Shaky ground? Haven't you been watching? They have an earthquake every 2 or 3 episodes :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh & see I thought earthquake talk might be considered a spoiler. Good stuff.
I'll be your straight man.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Slipkid42 wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:Oh, I didn't know it was on shaky ground.
Shaky ground? Haven't you been watching? They have an earthquake every 2 or 3 episodes :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh & see I thought earthquake talk might be considered a spoiler. Good stuff.
I'll be your straight man.
oh man, you might be right. My spoiler-avoidance game is weak these days :oops:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

had this on the DVR for months, finally got around to watching 2/3 of the thing last night, hope to finish it tonight. Good, gritty stuff

whatwouldcooleydo?

The League shuts it down tonight. I'm gonna miss them, a lot..... especially Jenny :lol:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14320 ... ory-league

whatwouldcooleydo?

League finale was one of their weaker episodes but I'll still miss them

South Park's season ended last night and the entire season was a home run, the finale was great

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

there's *seven* seasons of The League? never heard of it before today.

whatwouldcooleydo?

tinnitus photography wrote:there's *seven* seasons of The League? never heard of it before today.
fairly acclaimed show, at least critically, imagine the ratings were just so-so. What I find interesting is how many friends I have who are way into fantasy football yet they never watched even one episode

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

whatwouldcooleydo?

TW_2.0 wrote:Image

hopefully Nora and Meg will each get a spinoff

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

The villain is awesome but Kristen Ritter has to be the worst actor working today. Liked her character in Breaking Bad but this is just abysmal.

About half done with the season. I'll finish it just to see how the bad guy develops.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

My buddy told me this ranks in his Top 3 along with Breaking Bad and The Sopranos. I'm on Season 1 Episode 4. Not bad. Not blown away. I'm sure it will get good.

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

Erdlivz wrote:My buddy told me this ranks in his Top 3 along with Breaking Bad and The Sopranos. I'm on Season 1 Episode 4. Not bad. Not blown away. I'm sure it will get good.

It will. I kind of remember it being a slow build as well, but it's my favorite of all time.
I'm jealous of anyone who gets to start it fresh.
Enjoy.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Beebs wrote:Image

The villain is awesome but Kristen Ritter has to be the worst actor working today. Liked her character in Breaking Bad but this is just abysmal.

About half done with the season. I'll finish it just to see how the bad guy develops.
As a Marvel fanboy and non-TV watcher, I'm curious about other folks' responses to this. Many of my friends elsewhere think it's pretty much the show of the year.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Beebs wrote:Image

As a Marvel fanboy and non-TV watcher, I'm curious about other folks' responses to this. Many of my friends elsewhere think it's pretty much the show of the year.
To be clear, I think the show is OK. Requires a little more suspension of disbelief than I'm up for, but in the context of what it is, it's pretty OK.

Kristen Ritter (Jessica) is the terrible part. One dimensional, angsty, shadow of a character. Same sigh and head cock and fake bad girl sneer on repeat throughout every single scene. Again, I recall really liking the way she played her character on Breaking Bad. Seems like this is just not her kind of role.
Beebs is not a ragey man

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

brstigerfan wrote:
Erdlivz wrote:My buddy told me this ranks in his Top 3 along with Breaking Bad and The Sopranos. I'm on Season 1 Episode 4. Not bad. Not blown away. I'm sure it will get good.

It will. I kind of remember it being a slow build as well, but it's my favorite of all time.
Enjoy.
This is the reason I startet watching TV again.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

RolanK wrote:
brstigerfan wrote:

Enjoy.
This is the reason I startet watching TV again.
Seen the entire series 4 times. Each time it is like watching it for the first time. They have sociology classes at Harvard and Stanford that examine this show. Best TV show ever in my opinion.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Hot damn. I'm getting more excited about this show by the minute. I've heard a lot of people throw The Wire well ahead of Breaking Bad. I'm all in. Starting back up tomorrow tonight. My wife is catching up on a couple episodes. Excited to see the series unfold.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Erdlivz wrote:I've heard a lot of people throw The Wire well ahead of Breaking Bad.
Count me as one of those people

phungi

Post by phungi »

Erdlivz wrote:I've heard a lot of people throw The Wire well ahead of Breaking Bad.
Count me as one of those people
After an extended stay at home on the couch recovering from wrist surgery, I re-watched Breaking Bad. Hard to imagine there is a better show but I am up for the challenge of watching The Wire
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Nothing touches The Wire...nothing.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

We've had a few rounds of discussions on the Wire on this thread over the past 5 years and I am one of the many, self proclaimed, Wire nerds who has chimed in. Anyway, the link below is to an article David Simon (Wire Producer) wrote for the Baltimore Sun many years ago on Little Melvin Williams the Drug Kingpin of Baltimore from the 60's, 70's, 80's, who the character of Avon Barksdale in the Wire partially based. It was Ed Burns, one of the Wire's other Producers, who took down Little Melvin Williams when he was a Baltimore cop using the wire. Little Melvin passed away fairly recently, but, ironically, he played the Deacon in Season 3 and 4 or the Wire. A fairly substantial part for a non-actor ex-drug kingpin and was quite good as a man of the cloth. Sorry, maybe a little too much inside baseball.

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/2 ... Empire.pdf

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

brett27295 wrote:Nothing touches The Wire...nothing.
Recently binged Game of Thrones. For completely different reasons, it is arguable which is greater. It certainly is the greatest display of television cinematography and B cups ever.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

After an incredible first 9 episodes of Fargo season 2, it went out with a whimper. The finale sucked.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Breaking Bad > The Wire, but it's damn close.

40% of the way through Fargo Season 2. Digging it a lot. The accents are a little over the top (but pretty damn close) and I can guarantee there were no black dudes in Luverne in the 70's, but it's a damn well written show.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:40% of the way through Fargo Season 2. Digging it a lot. The accents are a little over the top (but pretty damn close) and I can guarantee there were no black dudes in Luverne in the 70's, but it's a damn well written show.
We recorded the season finale and will watch it tonight. Can't wait. It's been the first thing I've really looked forward to week to week since Justified.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:40% of the way through Fargo Season 2. Digging it a lot. The accents are a little over the top (but pretty damn close) and I can guarantee there were no black dudes in Luverne in the 70's, but it's a damn well written show.
We recorded the season finale and will watch it tonight. Can't wait. It's been the first thing I've really looked forward to week to week since Justified.
I'll finish this today for sure. Glued to it.

One last minor quibble: why is matching locations and filming so hard? Luverne appears to be in the north woods, but in reality it's out on the prairie, about 15 miles from Iowa and 20 from South Dakota. It's kind of like how in the movie, they show the Brainerd area as open prairie farm country, but it's actually deep in the woods. For all the incredible detail they put into these stories and writing, it just seems like low-hanging fruit.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

This has pulled me in. Anybody else watching this?

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Fargo was great. Nice to be able binge it in between Linda Blair impressions today.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Iowan wrote:Fargo was great. Nice to be able binge it in between Linda Blair impressions today.

How many times DID you diddle yourself with a crucifix?
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Moses Tripoli. Awesome.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved