The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

rlipps

Re: The TV thread

Post by rlipps »

Smitty wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:You know what happened. The question is, can you live with it?
That episode was as good as any from Breaking Bad.
It was great, Jonathan Banks is an amazing actor.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

RolanK wrote:
oilpiers wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:We never got through season 1 of House of Cards but are thinking of picking it back up again. Everything about it was good, it was just very draining. It didn't lend itself to binge watching at all as I think if I saw two episodes in a row I might have jumped off a building. Maybe I'll fee differently the second time around.
The first few episodes of season one are very draining. I stopped, but jumped onboard a year later. it gets much better and easier to follow as it progresses.
I more or less binge watched all of S1 before I got my wife onboard, started over and binge watched together. S2 also a couple of episodes each night for about a week. Now, with S3 we are slacking somewhat with only one episode every other night or so. Ep7, I think, is up tonight.
we've been doing about 1 episode a night... finished #7 last night, and it was great.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

We're now 3 episodes behind on Better Call Saul, and I'm honestly not feeling a sense of urgency to catch up. We'll probably end up marathoning it at some point.

The Jinx, on the other hand -- WOW. Watched two of those last night and thought hard about calling in sick today to slam through the rest.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Duke Silver wrote:We're now 3 episodes behind on Better Call Saul, and I'm honestly not feeling a sense of urgency to catch up. We'll probably end up marathoning it at some point.

The Jinx, on the other hand -- WOW. Watched two of those last night and thought hard about calling in sick today to slam through the rest.
Episode 6 of Better Caul Saul (Five-O) was the best one of the season by far.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

rlipps wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:We're now 3 episodes behind on Better Call Saul, and I'm honestly not feeling a sense of urgency to catch up. We'll probably end up marathoning it at some point.

Episode 6 of Better Caul Saul (Five-O) was the best one of the season by far.
No doubt. That was one for the ages. I watched the last 10 minutes of it last night before Episode 7. Powerful.

Last night's episode (#7) was pretty good, too. Only three more episodes left this season and I'm already looking forward to Season 2.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

You can have your own talking Clay Davis bobblehead doll. Just head over to Isiah Whitlock Jr.'s Kickstarter page.
:?
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

This week's Justified may or may not have been the best of the season but things did happen. It could been called "Everyone's Shit Gets Fucked Up". Damn I will miss that show.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

2 episodes left watching Netflix Bloodline. Halfway through the first episode I thought it was schmaltz, but it got interesting, and more interesting as it progressed. Ben Mendelsohn Is amazing. He is like Phillip Seymour Hoffman, in the fact that he is so good, he makes all the others look like they are acting and he is a real person. It even manages to make Chloë Sevigny look super hot as a white trashy chick. Never thought I would say that. Plus, it makes me long for the week I spent in the Florida Keys 10 years ago.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

BTB should probably not click on the link below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32074921
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:This week's Justified may or may not have been the best of the season but things did happen. It could been called "Everyone's Shit Gets Fucked Up". Damn I will miss that show.
I am through episode 5 or 6 and I just remarked to my son and co-watcher "damn a lot of people are gonna die pretty soon." I don't know if that's what happened but it sounds like it's at least along the same lines.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Trevor Noah a 31 year old comic from South Africa is taking over for Jon Stewart on the Daily Show. I've only seen bits and piees of this guy but I kind of think it's an inspired choice. We shall see.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/31/arts/ ... -show.html

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

The least surprising revelation on HBO's Scientology documentary last night was that the "church" used Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody to torture people. ;)
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:This week's Justified may or may not have been the best of the season but things did happen. It could been called "Everyone's Shit Gets Fucked Up". Damn I will miss that show.
Watched episode 10 today and am now all caught up. Damn that was one hell of an episode w/ one hell of an ending. You could say I did not expect that but that wouldn't quite capture the flavor of how floored my son and I were. Sorry to be caught up (now we have to wait each week like everyone else) but looking forward to what should be a thrilling finish.

Chances are I probably heard something about the Durst case when it was happening but I don't remember it. Watched episodes 1 - 4 tonite, courtesy of a freebie from Verizon. I never, ever thought I'd see prosecutors in a major case as incompetent nor a jury as stupid as the ones in the OJ trial but this has to top that by a Texas mile. Absolutely incomprehensible verdict. It made me ill to watch it unfold. The only reason my TV survived to live another day is that I knew the outcome in advance.

As a documentary I found the show to be less than great television but the story is good enough to carry it a fair ways. I feel more like I have to watch the last 2 episodes than that I want to.

cortez the killer

The caviar of the South
- DPM

Flea

Post by Flea »

cortez the killer wrote:Image
The caviar of the South

Shouldn't that be on white bread?
Now it's dark.

cortez the killer

Flea wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:Image
The caviar of the South

Shouldn't that be on white bread?
I don't recall having an opportunity to peek inside Mike's brown bag to confirm the bread type.
- DPM

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Rarely have time for anything feature length by the time I'm down for the night, so I've been trying to get everything out of TV episode length stuff of Netflix streaming.

LUTHER
1st episode so far. I like the main character and actor but the rest seems to be average police procedural stuff. I'll probably watch more but don't (now, anyway) feel compelled to watch every episode and see it through.

THE FALL
Sometimes it plods along, occasionally there are daring twists and character developments. Has only once or twice made me role my eyes. I've seen roughly every other episode as Mrs Beebs watches more than I.

UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT
Good clean fun with an unmistakable 30Rock feel (produced by Tina Fey).

Alternate title to this post: God I miss Breaking Bad
Beebs is not a ragey man

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Am I the only one to have been suckered in by Last Man On Earth?
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

cortez the killer

A simple Chicago sunroof....
- DPM

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

cortez the killer wrote:A simple Chicago sunroof....
Love this first season. The stage is set for it to really get going now.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

oilpiers wrote:2 episodes left watching Netflix Bloodline. Halfway through the first episode I thought it was schmaltz, but it got interesting, and more interesting as it progressed. Ben Mendelsohn Is amazing. He is like Phillip Seymour Hoffman, in the fact that he is so good, he makes all the others look like they are acting and he is a real person. It even manages to make Chloë Sevigny look super hot as a white trashy chick. Never thought I would say that. Plus, it makes me long for the week I spent in the Florida Keys 10 years ago.
Chloe was hot in the last season of Big Love--they gave Nikki a complete makeover. That's the only time I've seen her NOT looking trashy in anything..
I want to start this next--I loved Coach Taylor in Friday Night Lights and have heard this is good.

Enjoying The Americans Season 2 and new eps of Louie.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

1 episode in to True Detective. The possibility for epicness has been demonstrated. I'm eager to find out if they deliver on the promise. I know the show's been "well reviewed" here.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:1 episode in to True Detective. The possibility for epicness has been demonstrated. I'm eager to find out if they deliver on the promise. I know the show's been "well reviewed" here.
There are 472 red herrings, but about 397 legitimate clues as the thing progresses. Good luck figuring out which is which. Truly amazing TV.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:1 episode in to True Detective. The possibility for epicness has been demonstrated. I'm eager to find out if they deliver on the promise. I know the show's been "well reviewed" here.
There are 472 red herrings, but about 397 legitimate clues as the thing progresses. Good luck figuring out which is which. Truly amazing TV.
And Alexandra Daddario's puppies.
Now it's dark.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Smitty wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:A simple Chicago sunroof....
Love this first season. The stage is set for it to really get going now.
Yes
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

cortez the killer

- DPM

Flea

Post by Flea »

cortez the killer wrote:

They have a steep climb to avoid a Sophomore Slump.
Now it's dark.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Just started a trial for HBO Now. This could be the push I need to cut the cord from traditional satelite TV. Kiss my ass DirecTV.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

bovine knievel wrote:Just started a trial for HBO Now. This could be the push I need to cut the cord from traditional satelite TV. Kiss my ass DirecTV.
The problem is the providers will likely amp up the unbundled internet fees to rival cable prices. Same companies. They are not going to let everyone cut the cord without making it up somewhere else.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

This week I saw the final episodes of both Justified and True Detective. Some SPOILER references below.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's impossible to satisfyingly end a long-running well loved show. That said, I think the Justified folks did a really fine job. For the most part, the right people stayed alive, all the dead people deserved it and the device of briefly checking in "4 years later" was a good way of tying off loose ends. SPOILER ALERT: Once they showed that Raylan wasn't w/ Winona, I really thought that he and Ava would get together. Just as well they didn't - as Jim Carrey said in Dumb and Dumber, "so there's still a chance!" :D Anybody know anything about Joelle Carter? I don't think I've ever seen her in anything else. I will really miss this show.

I thoroughly enjoyed True Detective from beginning to end. Really well done in all respects from the story to the dialog to the acting to the locale etc etc. SPOILER ALERT: While I was glad both main characters lived, that was a bit of a stretch. Was the implication when Marty met Maggie at her new house that Maggie had married well the second time? I thought the parallels and the related sexism between Marty and his older daughter were really well done - clear but they didn't hit you over the head w/ it. Every time she was on screen, I couldn't help wondering how Tom Brady could have left Michelle Monaghan until I remembered each time, oh, yeah, he wound up w/ Giselle Bundchen. Some guys... But I digress. I guess because of the character he played on Cheers any comment about Woody Harrelson always starts or ends w/ how surprising his excellent performance was. I think we can finally conclude that he's actually a pretty good actor. And of course McConaughey has already placed himself on the A+ list and did nothing to diminish that status. He was annoyingly hard to hear too often but I can't really hold that against him - his speech pattern really fit the character. I understand that later seasons of the show will feature different leads. I will certainly watch, I just hope they can match the standard that has been set.