The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

oilpiers

Re: The TV thread

Post by oilpiers »

Smitty wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Thanks to a link someone posted on the Netflix streaming site under the comments section for Breaking Bad I was finally able to see the final 8 episodes. Unfortunately, it was impossible to avoid spoilers unless you wanted to swear off the internet all together so I pretty much knew how it ended. For anyone who wants to watch the entire series, you can find it here.

i was fortunate enough to avoid the spoilers, despite not swearing off the internet.

damn, i ended shelling out for the last 8 episodes...i wonder how that website's content stays up.

and oilpiers, of the shows you mentioned i haven't seen any of them. but i am gonna start with The Wire next.

The Wire may have you thinking it's better than Breaking Bad. Until you watch Breaking Bad again. And then vice versa.
The best compromise I can come up with myself is that they're just different beasts. BB is more of a conventional story, with throwbacks to classic TV/movie tropes. The Wire is almost documentary-ish. It's a testament to both that it's such a toss up, but personally I think they're in a category of their own. I stand by my opinion that BB has the better writing and acting though.

I haven't seen the Sopranos yet and I'm eager to start; may do that during my T'giving break.

You have not seen the old shows I listed? As for Wire/BB the Sopranos is easily in that class. They stand above all other shows in my opinion. Even significantly higher than Deadwood, which at one time topped my list. Al Swearengin my be the single greatest TV character of all time. Season 3 of Walking Dead is also in the debate.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Orange Is the New Black really came on strong at the end of the season. Can't wait for season 2!
ain't no static on the gospel radio

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

oilpiers wrote:You have not seen the old shows I listed?

No. No Mad Men or Lost for me either. I don't watch a lot of tv. If I am not out at a show I am upstairs editing photos, or maybe watching sports or the occasional movie.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Duke Silver wrote:Orange Is the New Black really came on strong at the end of the season. Can't wait for season 2!

Big YUP there!

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

tinnitus photography wrote:
oilpiers wrote:You have not seen the old shows I listed?

No. No Mad Men or Lost for me either. I don't watch a lot of tv. If I am not out at a show I am upstairs editing photos, or maybe watching sports or the occasional movie.

All I watch are sports, Netflix, AMC,and HBO GO. More than enough quality programming for my time, and only commercials when I don't pause for 45 minutes while I walk the dog. Gave up on that perverted infotainment called TV news about 10 years ago. But watching Neil Cavuto have an on camera coniption fit on Fox Business during the 2012 election results was HIGHLY entertaining.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Just finished watching the finale of Breaking Bad. I watched every single episode in 2 months courtesy of Netflix and purchased the final 8 episodes from amazon.com. Holy shit was that an intense show!
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Diggin this!

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Flea

Post by Flea »

Spoiler may or may not be below - you've been warned!

I guess spaghetti Tuesday is off...

Last edited by Flea on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now it's dark.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Did you seriously just drop a spoiler here with no warning?
Beebs is not a ragey man

Flea

Post by Flea »

Beebs wrote:Did you seriously just drop a spoiler here with no warning?

I thought everyone realized that the Guv raided the prison and stole the spaghetti!
Now it's dark.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Flea wrote:
Beebs wrote:Did you seriously just drop a spoiler here with no warning?

I thought everyone realized that the Guv raided the prison and stole the spaghetti!

Some of us don't even know that the Guv is still alive.

Dick move, man. Dick move.
Beebs is not a ragey man

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

bovine knievel wrote:Diggin this!

Ditto.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

I hate to admit, I really love HBO's new show, "Getting On", hits pretty close to home from what I've experienced with geriatric places with my dad prior to his passing. That doesn't sound very funny, but, shit, I'm laughing. Plus, Fruit from the Wire is in the cast.

Mike127

Post by Mike127 »

As a newbie here, I haven't read through all 50-something pages of the thread to know if this has been discussed, but I was wondering if anyone else on 3DD has any experience with cord cutting cable and going to an all broadcast/streaming option for TV viewing? We're about to take the plunge later this month.

We have an amplified antenna that has decent reception for all but one of major local stations and a Roku box with Netflix, Hulu & Amazon subscriptions. For the few areas where those options come up short (new eps of Mad Men, The Americans, etc), the money we are saving will make buying those a la carte from Amazon still pretty cost effective. All in all, this is likely to save about $800/year.

Am I missing something? Has anyone else done this and decided to go back to cable? If so, why?

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Mike127 wrote:As a newbie here, I haven't read through all 50-something pages of the thread to know if this has been discussed, but I was wondering if anyone else on 3DD has any experience with cord cutting cable and going to an all broadcast/streaming option for TV viewing? We're about to take the plunge later this month.

We have an amplified antenna that has decent reception for all but one of major local stations and a Roku box with Netflix, Hulu & Amazon subscriptions. For the few areas where those options come up short (new eps of Mad Men, The Americans, etc), the money we are saving will make buying those a la carte from Amazon still pretty cost effective. All in all, this is likely to save about $800/year.

Am I missing something? Has anyone else done this and decided to go back to cable? If so, why?

My wife and I tried that a couple years ago but only lasted a couple months before going back to cable*. The problem was we're both football fans, and I couldn't find an antenna strong enough to pull in the local Fox and NBC stations. If I could, though, I'd do it in a heartbeat. What kind of antenna are you using?

*It didn't hurt that they gave us a great deal when we came back.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Mike127

Post by Mike127 »

Duke Silver wrote:
My wife and I tried that a couple years ago but only lasted a couple months before going back to cable*. The problem was we're both football fans, and I couldn't find an antenna strong enough to pull in the local Fox and NBC stations. If I could, though, I'd do it in a heartbeat. What kind of antenna are you using?

*It didn't hurt that they gave us a great deal when we came back.

I'll have to get the brand name later, but it is an indoor amplified antenna we got at Costco - it looks like a flat sheet of plastic that plugs into both the wall and the tv (via coax)

I know sports is usually the main reason people don't do this - but the only sport I watch with any regularity is baseball and if spring comes around and I find I can't live without it, MLB TV is actually a great deal on streaming services, so we'll see.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Wilfred and Workaholics are pretty damn good. pretty much the only shows I watch except for Fast N Loud and Mountain Men

Flea

Post by Flea »

dbtfan4life wrote:Wilfred and Workaholics are pretty damn good. pretty much the only shows I watch except for Fast N Loud and Mountain Men

I do believe that Wilfred was either cancelled or only being renewed for an abbreviated season. It certainly took a less funny, darker tone this season.
Now it's dark.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

I know wat u mean that last episode was pretty crazy. Dam that sucks if its canceled I havent heard that. Thanks for the info man

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Borgen.

It's Danish. The main characters are mostly (hot) women. There's lots of politics. It's great

Also

Inspector Montalbano and Young Montalbano.

Italian detective show, which mainly seems to be about food. BTB would love it.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dogstar wrote:Borgen.

It's Danish. The main characters are mostly (hot) women. There's lots of politics. It's great

Also

Inspector Montalbano and Young Montalbano.

Italian detective show, which mainly seems to be about food. BTB would love it.

Oh, so you're saying I wouldn't love a show about politics filled w/ hot Danish women? OTOH, probably don't want Mr. Obama to know about that show :lol:

But yeah, no doubt, I am going to have to keep an eye out for Signore Montalbano. You've certainly got your finger on my pulse, Sir Dogstar.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Marvel Agents of SHIELD is my new favourite guilty pleasure. I have the hots for Agent May in the worst (best?) way. Has all the Whedon signatures, decent humour, good action sequences and enough plot/subplot to keep me interested.

Its not FIREFLY seasons 2-8, but it'll do.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Shit I've watched lately:

The Returned (French) on Sundance. Dead people return to their families and confusion ensues. Damn near close to A+.

Black Mirror (British) on Audience/Directv. Anthology in Twilight Zone tradition. Theme is negative effects of tech on society. I've watched first three episodes and all are A/A+.

Homeland Season 3 got better at end but Dana damn near scared me off the show. The whole Carrie in nuthouse thing ended up making sense. Last two episodes were pretty good. B-

Only a few eps into Masters of Sex but it look to be in A range.

Boardwalk Empire was great this season. Agent Knox and Eli had a fight zone to rival the one on Deadwood where the dude gets his eye gouged out. I love the Capone character and Van Alden. Richard such a great character. Chalky was fantastic this season. A/B+

Walking Dead and American Horror Story entertain me the same way a bowl of Lucky Charms does. B-/C+

Finished The Wire. Somewhere in my top 3 of all time. Can't decide between Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and The Wire. All different and all great.

Four episodes into Justified and liking this and I hear it gets better.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

just rewatched this after many years. a must see. netflix.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

dime in the gutter wrote:Image
just rewatched this after many years. a must see. netflix.

Fantastic. Probably Burns' best.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Sub

Post by Sub »

Just started watching The Wire looks like it'll be right up my alley.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sub wrote:Just started watching The Wire looks like it'll be right up my alley.

Yup. I guess we're not gonna see you around here for another long while :)
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I watched the first 2 episodes of Masters of Sex last night - highly recommended. Very funny and interesting. Not exactly sexy.....not *not* sexy.

You know...a little clinical. ;)
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Sub wrote:Just started watching The Wire looks like it'll be right up my alley.

Congratulations! If you go through chronologically, as you should, don't less season 2 discourage you. It may be considered the weakest season, but it rears it's awesome head in a vengeance after that. McNulty was filming movies that year, which may be a factor.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Started House of Cards last night. Intriguing. Not sure I like the breaching of the fourth wall with Spacey's character but looking forward to continuing.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved