The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

The Black Canary

Re: The TV thread

Post by The Black Canary »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Smitty wrote:Nine episodes into the first season of Sons of Anarchy and I'm fuckin' hooked. I hate that it's taken me so long to getting around ot watching it...

what's up with jax and his white leather sneakers?

drum roll............................................

but this is starting to be the pantless version (albeit they do have some serious hammers ;) )

of

so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

oilpiers wrote:
The Black Canary wrote:
sactochris wrote:Mad Men is still the best thing on television even it's no longer as good as it once was.

rEALLY???

SEE BELOW :lol: :lol:

I know some very intelligent women who's favorite show is Big Bang. I see it as just another string of adolescent sex jokes in front of a live audience that will laugh at anything. I will say Sheldon is a good poster child for geeks, and my librarian sister reminds me of him when she is not impersonating Diane Chambers.

I haven't watched this show a lot, but OTOH, when I have, I've never laughed, not once. If it weren't for the audience laughter I wouldn't even know which lines were supposed to be the jokes. Awful, awful stuff.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

[/quote]
I know some very intelligent women who's favorite show is Big Bang. I see it as just another string of adolescent sex jokes in front of a live audience that will laugh at anything. I will say Sheldon is a good poster child for geeks, and my librarian sister reminds me of him when she is not impersonating Diane Chambers.[/quote]

I haven't watched this show a lot, but OTOH, when I have, I've never laughed, not once. If it weren't for the audience laughter I wouldn't even know which lines were supposed to be the jokes. Awful, awful stuff.[/quote]
I agree, but at least the blond chick is from my hometown. Just missed going to high school with my son, unless she went to private school.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

[/quote]
I know some very intelligent women who's favorite show is Big Bang. I see it as just another string of adolescent sex jokes in front of a live audience that will laugh at anything. I will say Sheldon is a good poster child for geeks, and my librarian sister reminds me of him when she is not impersonating Diane Chambers.[/quote]

I haven't watched this show a lot, but OTOH, when I have, I've never laughed, not once. If it weren't for the audience laughter I wouldn't even know which lines were supposed to be the jokes. Awful, awful stuff.[/quote]
I agree, but at least the blond chick is from my hometown. Just missed going to high school with my son, unless she went to private school.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I watch very little TV other than sports.

I like Big Bang. It's not life changing art or anything but it usually makes me chuckle. There seem to be three kinds of TV shows anymore, "reality" shows, shows about children (highschool kids) having sex and acting like they know far more than they do about pretty much everything, and shows about how screwed up somebody's life is. The first and last categories seem to be the most popular. None of it appeals to me. Big Bang is ok.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Cole Younger wrote:I watch very little TV other than sports.

I like Big Bang. It's not life changing art or anything but it usually makes me chuckle. There seem to be three kinds of TV shows anymore, "reality" shows, shows about children (highschool kids) having sex and acting like they know far more than they do about pretty much everything, and shows about how screwed up somebody's life is. The first and last categories seem to be the most popular. None of it appeals to me. Big Bang is ok.

My guys like the hunting, fly fishing stuff, survior man etc...whilst (still love that word LOl) they are watching TV, which is not much. Not sure if Call of Duty video game counts as TV, because apparently Jr. is expert level on this in tourneys.

"Once Upon a Time" has been pretty good, but they really do market it to women/girls as most boys/men really didn't grow up with the whole "Princess" thing story line. They do intertwine all the diff fabels/story lines pretty seemlessly, though if you weren't raised on this stuff, very easy to get lost in some of the plots, if you don't know who all the "fairytale characters."

light and breezy viewing for a wrap up of the weekend whilst making lunches for the week. and it always for just a guilty pleasure endulgence for an hour a week.
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

blackwll wrote:Check out Ray McKinnon's Rectify on Sundance (yuppie network, but worth it). Walt Goggins was supposed to star in it but I guess he got busy with Justified (another cool one name show). Guy gets off death row thanks to a lawyer his sister is schlepping, state tries to get geared up to recharge him despite misgivings as to his guilt, some family members not ready for him to be back, etc. First two episodes were great.

Finally was able to see the 2 hour premier last night. Had started it last week but Comcast fucked with us, as is their want. The acting and direction is top notch although it does move a bit slowly. I think sticking with it will really pay off.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
blackwll wrote:Check out Ray McKinnon's Rectify on Sundance (yuppie network, but worth it). Walt Goggins was supposed to star in it but I guess he got busy with Justified (another cool one name show). Guy gets off death row thanks to a lawyer his sister is schlepping, state tries to get geared up to recharge him despite misgivings as to his guilt, some family members not ready for him to be back, etc. First two episodes were great.

Finally was able to see the 2 hour premier last night. Had started it last week but Comcast fucked with us, as is their want. The acting and direction is top notch although it does move a bit slowly. I think sticking with it will really pay off.

Have the premier on DVR, but haven't had a chance to watch yet. Checked last night to see if the next episode was recording and when I saw it wasn't, realized we don't have Sundance anymore. Apparently Directv was offering it as a free preview last week while the premier aired.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Really enjoyed the season finale of The Americans last night. I'm curious to see how they proceed from here, and I was surprised to learn they shot an episode that never aired dealing with Stan's undercover work with the white supremacist group. Hope they include it in with future DVD releases.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

rlipps wrote:Really enjoyed the season finale of The Americans last night. I'm curious to see how they proceed from here, and I was surprised to learn they shot an episode that never aired dealing with Stan's undercover work with the white supremacist group. Hope they include it in with future DVD releases.

I really want to watch this but Lurleen isn't interested and I've already got Game of Thrones to watch without her. Everything I've heard is great though, I'll get to it at some point.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
rlipps wrote:Really enjoyed the season finale of The Americans last night. I'm curious to see how they proceed from here, and I was surprised to learn they shot an episode that never aired dealing with Stan's undercover work with the white supremacist group. Hope they include it in with future DVD releases.

I really want to watch this but Lurleen isn't interested and I've already got Game of Thrones to watch without her. Everything I've heard is great though, I'll get to it at some point.

I never heard of it until this thread. I was not able to catch the beginning, on demand only has 4 episodes. Very good. Surprisingly well written and well made. Richard Thomas has finally shed his John Boy image. I guess I have to wait until season 2 to access the start of season one on netflix.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

oilpiers wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I never heard of it until this thread. I was not able to catch the beginning, on demand only has 4 episodes. Very good. Surprisingly well written and well made. Richard Thomas has finally shed his John Boy image. I guess I have to wait until season 2 to access the start of season one on netflix.

It's on in the UK later in the year - looking forward to it after all the good things you guys have been saying about it.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread at some point, but does anyone else hate (HATE) the Justified theme song? Awfulness of the song itself aside, I don't think it fits the tone of the show at all. I can think of about half a dozen DBT songs that would be perfect.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Duke Silver wrote:I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread at some point, but does anyone else hate (HATE) the Justified theme song? Awfulness of the song itself aside, I don't think it fits the tone of the show at all. I can think of about half a dozen DBT songs that would be perfect.

Honestly I kind of like it, not that I'll be jamming it in the car anytime soon. Mixing hip hop & bluegrass is kind of interesting no? That being said many DBT songs would have worked. I think the only DBT song I can remember playing on the show is I Do Believe which was great (Boyd listening through headphones) but kind of an odd choice.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

My son hates that theme song. I'm kind of neutral - i don't especially like it, but i see what they're going for (see TC's comment).

But yeah, TC, any number of DBT songs would have been better (or perhaps an original written for the purpose?) and it's funny (odd not haha) that the one song to make the soundtrack is "I Do Believe." Better than nothing, but not the betting favorite if you had to pick only one.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread at some point, but does anyone else hate (HATE) the Justified theme song? Awfulness of the song itself aside, I don't think it fits the tone of the show at all. I can think of about half a dozen DBT songs that would be perfect.

Honestly I kind of like it, not that I'll be jamming it in the car anytime soon. Mixing hip hop & bluegrass is kind of interesting no? That being said many DBT songs would have worked. I think the only DBT song I can remember playing on the show is I Do Believe which was great (Boyd listening through headphones) but kind of an odd choice.

I guess bluegrass and rap could potentially be interesting. Maybe. But that song is just so corny. Reminds me of all those terrible rap metal bands in the late 90s that thought they were groundbreaking, but were just skimming the most obvious, generic elements from both genres.

Imagine how pumped up you would get if at the end of every opening scene you heard the first few palm muted strums of Sinkhole...

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

I know it's a cheese ball soap opera show, but does anyone else watch Nashville? I'm completely addicted and some of the music's really good. I love watching Scarlet's career blossom and the whole east/west divide is a great backdrop for a story. *and of course I love Connie Britton (Tami Taylor)

I think the girls who play Rayna's daughters are real performers, here they're covering The Lumineers:

Loving the story of Scarlet and Gunner' songwriting:

Last edited by Penny Lane on Thu May 09, 2013 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mrs. Coach!!

She's the reason I even thought about watching, but even she couldn't bring me to actually tune in. That's no comment on the show itself; I haven't watched it. It's a comment on what i think the show is like. But Mrs. Coach...yeah!

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Never once saw Nashville,(last 2-3 minutes waiting for the news to start doesn't count) but I think Elizabeth Cook either wrote a song for the show, or they performed one of her songs on it. She tweeted about it a lil while ago.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

PeterJ wrote:Never once saw Nashville,(last 2-3 minutes waiting for the news to start doesn't count) but I think Elizabeth Cook either wrote a song for the show, or they performed one of her songs on it. She tweeted about it a lil while ago.

Buddy Miller, Jim Lauderdale and Colin Linden are involved with the music on the show so that intrigues me. I think Lauderdale and Linden coach the actors. At some point I may check it out for that reason alone.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I'm all for the mixing of genres/scenes, but I honestly believe it's impossible to correctly combine hip-hop and any sortof country/bluegrass music.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The Office finale was fantastic
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

I kept thinking something had to happen that damaged Stan psychologically while working undercover and they'd explain it at some point. Thanks for the heads up.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

It's the season finale of Doctor Who tomorrow (gee that came round quick). Apparently we get to find out loads about the Doctor as well as Clara. Plus obviosuly the 50th Anniversary programme is coming later in the year.

Also been watching 'The Village' which we recorded. Another really good drama on the BBC chronicling the life of a village from 1914 to 1920. The quality of writing on this is really good, they recruited a really good cast and there are quite a few surprises/shocks as it goes along. There were only six episodes but the plan is for this to turn into an English version of Heimat (which was a German series showing the story of life in a German village from 1919 to 2000). If it comes on in the US I highly recommend this.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

I identify with everyone except the main character. Someone should just put her out of her misery.

In my blood, there's gasoline..

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

beantownbubba wrote:I recommend Dexter most highly, Cortez. Seasons 1 - 3 are uniformly excellent, season 4 is meh but is redeemed by a fabulous ending, season 5 is clearly past the peak but still very worthwhile and I haven't seen season 6 yet.

2 1/2 seasons deep & enjoying it. Thanks for the nudge, bubba.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

cortez the killer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I recommend Dexter most highly, Cortez. Seasons 1 - 3 are uniformly excellent, season 4 is meh but is redeemed by a fabulous ending, season 5 is clearly past the peak but still very worthwhile and I haven't seen season 6 yet.

2 1/2 seasons deep & enjoying it. Thanks for the nudge, bubba.

I am 3 episodes into Season 7. Still going strong IMHO
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Anyone else geeking out over the return of Arrested Development this week?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:Anyone else geeking out over the return of Arrested Development this week?

I'm already on my second viewing of the series. Knocked the whole thing out on Sunday/Monday laying around hungover.

The Tobias episode is incredible.

"No, no. It's the Ambiguously Gay Duo."

"I can assure there's nothing ambiguous about me. I'm Johnny Storm, the Human Flamer!"
Last edited by Iowan on Fri May 31, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.