College Basketball 2014-15

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

College Basketball 2014-15

Post by Iowan »

Tip-off tonight for my boys. Taking on Oakland, a small school out of Detroit. They've made it to the Dance a few times in recent years, but if this isn't a blow out, there will be some reason for concern.

Ranked #14 by the national pundits, but picked 5th by Big 12 coaches. Can't get my head around it, as Hoiberg hasn't finished below third since his first year, and this is shaping up to be his best team yet. That said, we were picked 8th last year coming off consecutive NCAA bids and returning a shit-ton of talent. I suspect the other coaches are fucking with him.

We'll be anchored by this motherfucker:

George Niang. One of the toughest individual matchups in the country, offensively. He's slotted as a post (there aren't really true 1-5 positions in Hoiberg's system), and while not overly athletic, he has some of the smoothest one-on-one offensive moves I've ever seen. Announcers frequently refer to it as "Old man at the YMCA" style, and there's some truth to that. He isn't blowing past people, but he can just out maneuver them, get to the hole, and has a very smooth finish. He can also shoot it from anywhere on the floor, which gives us some great looks when he get him on the perimeter and have him up against a guard who is giving up 6 inches to him.

I think we'll most likely finish second in the Big 12, but have a real shot to knock off KU. If we can stay healthy down the stretch, I like our odds of getting into the third weekend of March Madness or god forbid, beyond. Looks to be a great year in Ames.

How's everyone else feeling about their squads? Our resident Kentucky fans have to be feeling pretty good about the season.

Zip City

Re: College Basketball 2014-15

Post by Zip City »

I have the annual conflict of a) loving college hoops while b) having two alma maters that always suck
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:I have the annual conflict of a) loving college hoops while b) having two alma maters that always suck

I can relate to this vis a vis football.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I love the gamesmanship surrounding KY. I haven't followed it in detail but it seems like more than a couple of coaches are intentionally ratcheting up the pressure on the Wildcats by claiming, e.g., that the team could make the NBA playoffs.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Interesting opening night. The defense left something to be desired, and we felt very stiff on offense. Despite that, it was a 93 point effort. Transfer 2/3 hybrid Bryce Dejean-Jones from UNLV is an absolute beast of a player, but was a complete black hole when he got the ball. If he can learn to find open teammates here and there, he's the type of player that can break this season wide open for us.

In other news, Tashawn Taylor of Oklahoma, who transferred there from Houston after a coaching change was granted immediate eligibility. Jameel McKay, who transfered to ISU after Marquette had a coaching chance, is forced to sit until the end of the first semester. There is literally no difference in these fact patterns other than the schools involved. Because Oklahoma is one of the 10-15 most powerful schools in college athletics, they get the nod and ISU gets fucked. There is a laundry list of examples where the Iowa State player gets treated completely differently than a player from a more powerful school in the same factual situation. I hate that organization so fucking much.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

My Michigan guys are entering the season ranked in the top 25, but barely. Three players left early to go to the NBA (after two doing the same last year). Our back court should be fine, but we have no returning big men and unless our freshman overachieve I don't see us competing with the top teams this year. But I've underestimated this team two years in a row, so I'm hoping I'm proven wrong yet again.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Iowan wrote:Interesting opening night. The defense left something to be desired, and we felt very stiff on offense. Despite that, it was a 93 point effort. Transfer 2/3 hybrid Bryce Dejean-Jones from UNLV is an absolute beast of a player, but was a complete black hole when he got the ball. If he can learn to find open teammates here and there, he's the type of player that can break this season wide open for us.

In other news, Tashawn Taylor of Oklahoma, who transferred there from Houston after a coaching change was granted immediate eligibility. Jameel McKay, who transfered to ISU after Marquette had a coaching chance, is forced to sit until the end of the first semester. There is literally no difference in these fact patterns other than the schools involved. Because Oklahoma is one of the 10-15 most powerful schools in college athletics, they get the nod and ISU gets fucked. There is a laundry list of examples where the Iowa State player gets treated completely differently than a player from a more powerful school in the same factual situation. I hate that organization so fucking much.

I was shocked Thomas was allowed to play. I agree with you, I would like to know the NCAA's reasoning behind the two decisions.

However, I am pretty happy Thomas is eligible. He was the missing piece OU really needed.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

OkieinTexas wrote:
Iowan wrote:Interesting opening night. The defense left something to be desired, and we felt very stiff on offense. Despite that, it was a 93 point effort. Transfer 2/3 hybrid Bryce Dejean-Jones from UNLV is an absolute beast of a player, but was a complete black hole when he got the ball. If he can learn to find open teammates here and there, he's the type of player that can break this season wide open for us.

I was shocked Thomas was allowed to play. I agree with you, I would like to know the NCAA's reasoning behind the two decisions.

However, I am pretty happy Thomas is eligible. He was the missing piece OU really needed.

The reasoning is clear to me: OU draws more water than ISU.

Ain't taking it on you as a fan, just stating the obvious. Your boys will be salty again this year. Buddy Hield is on my personal all-conference team and Spangler is the classic guy that every other team hates.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Iowan wrote:
OkieinTexas wrote:

The reasoning is clear to me: OU draws more water than ISU.

Ain't taking it on you as a fan, just stating the obvious. Your boys will be salty again this year. Buddy Hield is on my personal all-conference team and Spangler is the classic guy that every other team hates.

I agree that ISU doesn't get the respect it should but I don't think OU is an NCAA favorite. After all, although it was back in 1984, OU and Georgia sued the NCAA to allow universities to gain control of their TV football rights. I know you're aware of Baker Mayfield, who wasn't even on scholarship as a Sand Aggie last year and still had to lose a year after transferring to OU. And we certainly couldn't get DGB eligible, although that was probably the correct decision by the NCAA.

And as many times as we've been put on probation (an embarrassing amount in football), I just wouldn't consider OU especially tight with the NCAA.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I forgot all about Switzer and Sampson when I typed that. Ypu guys have had your share of NCAA run ins.

I guess it just seems that they have some deep seeded hatred for us. They give us harsher penalties than they give other schools in the same exact position.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The UConn women's 47 game winning streak is over thanks to Stanford's OT victory. Presumably Geno now has his motivator for the rest of this season. I don't know who UConn's next opponent is but I wouldn't want to be them.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:The UConn women's 47 game winning streak is over thanks to Stanford's OT victory. Presumably Geno now has his motivator for the rest of this season. I don't know who UConn's next opponent is but I wouldn't want to be them.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but it blows me away how concentrated elite talent is in NCAA women's basketball. The gap between the Top 5 and the rest of the Top 25 is greater than teams 6-25 and the bottom tier.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Hoguey Badger (Dustin Hogue) don't give a shit.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:The UConn women's 47 game winning streak is over thanks to Stanford's OT victory. Presumably Geno now has his motivator for the rest of this season. I don't know who UConn's next opponent is but I wouldn't want to be them.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but it blows me away how concentrated elite talent is in NCAA women's basketball. The gap between the Top 5 and the rest of the Top 25 is greater than teams 6-25 and the bottom tier.

I'm not sure your numbers are exactly right but your overall point/observation is right. OTOH, at least the top teams play each other regularly so the long winning streak is more than just 50 point wins over Our Lady of the Divine Clouds. OTOOH, it's not all that surprising that things are the way they are when you consider that Mo'ne Davis, that little league pitcher who was all the rage this summer has already declared that she wants to play basketball at UConn (she's 12).

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:

I'm not sure your numbers are exactly right but your overall point/observation is right. OTOH, at least the top teams play each other regularly so the long winning streak is more than just 50 point wins over Our Lady of the Divine Clouds. OTOOH, it's not all that surprising that things are the way they are when you consider that Mo'ne Davis, that little league pitcher who was all the rage this summer has already declared that she wants to play basketball at UConn (she's 12).

Yeah, I was throwing numbers around without any specific verification. Still, the talent concentration is probably unmatched any other similar profile athletic endeavor.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Then again, the #1 men's team beat the #5 team, a team w/ as proud a tradition as any in the sport, by a mere 32 points tonite :o

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

beantownbubba wrote:Then again, the #1 men's team beat the #5 team, a team w/ as proud a tradition as any in the sport, by a mere 32 points tonite :o

Yeah, I had pretty high hopes going into this year, but if tonight was any indication, UK might end up being better than I imagined by the time March rolls around. Obviously, there's a million things that could go wrong between now and then, but I'm looking forward to spending the first weekend in April in Indy (where I just so conveniently have family with a spare couch that live 15-20 minutes from Lucas Oil Stadium).

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

rlipps wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Then again, the #1 men's team beat the #5 team, a team w/ as proud a tradition as any in the sport, by a mere 32 points tonite :o

Yeah, I had pretty high hopes going into this year, but if tonight was any indication, UK might end up being better than I imagined by the time March rolls around. Obviously, there's a million things that could go wrong between now and then, but I'm looking forward to spending the first weekend in April in Indy (where I just so conveniently have family with a spare couch that live 15-20 minutes from Lucas Oil Stadium).

I don't know how much you guys are paying the dudes on your second platoon who are playing 15-20 minutes per game, but they would be 35 minute per night guys anywhere else. I think we need to dig deep and start chucking more cash around.

This isn't a dig at UK, I'm just not at all delusional about college sports. I know for a fact that ISU has paid players in some regard or another, and there's no way the bigger boys aren't. Especially Cal. How else do you get guys that talented to sacrifice minutes?

If Kentucky loses a game this year, I'll shit myself in surprise. This is the best assemblage of talent I've ever seen in the college game, and Cal knows how to make it work. If I know the NCAA like I think I do, they'll put us in Kentucky's region just to ensure w don't get the satisfaction of a Final 4.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Iowan: The hapless Anthony Grant-led Crimson Tide faces off against the heavily-favored ISU Cyclones tonight.

Ugh.

Prediction: Big Moral Victory for Bama. Lose by 8-10.

Grant is 3-23 against ranked teams.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

TW_2.0 wrote:Iowan: The hapless Anthony Grant-led Crimson Tide faces off against the heavily-favored ISU Cyclones tonight.

Ugh.

Prediction: Big Moral Victory for Bama. Lose by 8-10.

Grant is 3-23 against ranked teams.

The line looked a little closer than I would have guessed. Should be a large ISU contingent down there, as we love basketball in KC (we bring more fans to the Big 12 tournament than anyone but KU), but your muck-it-up style of play could really throw us off kilter. Going to be an interesting match up for sure, and any non-conference game against another power conference school is always fun. Here's to a good game with no injuries!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Looks Vegas knew that the Tide were capable of running with us tonight. TW, your boys shot the fucking lights out tonight and gave us all we wanted. I was disappointed by the amount of bone headed turnovers we committed, but when we held on to the ball, our offense looked fantastic. Even better than it has.

But Bama wasn't missing, and their guys obviously weren't phased by the crowd. I'll tip my cap to the the Tide tonight.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Iowan wrote:Looks Vegas knew that the Tide were capable of running with us tonight. TW, your boys shot the fucking lights out tonight and gave us all we wanted. I was disappointed by the amount of bone headed turnovers we committed, but when we held on to the ball, our offense looked fantastic. Even better than it has.

But Bama wasn't missing, and their guys obviously weren't phased by the crowd. I'll tip my cap to the the Tide tonight.

We shot better than we have in several years.

Still a 10 point loss. To be expected.

Nice game by yours boys (minus the turnovers). Good luck against the Terps.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

TW_2.0 wrote:
Iowan wrote:Looks Vegas knew that the Tide were capable of running with us tonight. TW, your boys shot the fucking lights out tonight and gave us all we wanted. I was disappointed by the amount of bone headed turnovers we committed, but when we held on to the ball, our offense looked fantastic. Even better than it has.

We shot better than we have in several years.

Still a 10 point loss. To be expected.

Nice game by yours boys (minus the turnovers). Good luck against the Terps.

I hope you can keep it up and makes some noise in a league that seems wide open between spots 3-14, well maybe 2-14 after seeing how Florida has started.

Should be a fun game tonight. My cousin is a sophomore at Maryland, so I might have to make a friendly wager on it.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Iowan wrote: Should be a fun game tonight. My cousin is a sophomore at Maryland, so I might have to make a friendly wager on it.

Hopefully, unlike some others on this board, he'll actually pay off the wage if you win!

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

First big test for my Wolverines tonight, playing Villanova in Brooklyn. Should be a good game between two guard-oriented offenses. Probably our first defeat of the year, but we shall see.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Mr. B wrote:
Iowan wrote: Should be a fun game tonight. My cousin is a sophomore at Maryland, so I might have to make a friendly wager on it.

Hopefully, unlike some others on this board, he'll actually pay off the wage if you win!

I thought we were even between '11 and '13?

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Terps look good heading into their inaugural season in the B10(14). Melo Tremble might be our best freshman ever (and that's saying something). Dez Wells is rock solid (NBA ready already). Jake Layman is a wild wild card & we finally seem like we're buying into coach Turg's defensive mindset. Picked to finish 10th by the B10 writers. I think we'll do better than that.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

Looking forward to good game tonight,Iowan. Our teams play similar styles. Should be fun. Go Hogs.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

Maybe I should've said I'm looking forward to a game. Our teams tonight are playing dissimilar styles and, if we don't make a drastic change at half (which rarely happens) we're going to be badly embarrassed. Your guys look like a well oiled machine, and are on fire from the three. Nevertheless, Go Hogs.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

porkulator wrote:Maybe I should've said I'm looking forward to a game. Our teams tonight are playing dissimilar styles and, if we don't make a drastic change at half (which rarely happens) we're going to be badly embarrassed. Your guys look like a well oiled machine, and are on fire from the three. Nevertheless, Go Hogs.

I remember Mike Anderson defenses pressing more when he was at Mizzou.

Gotta say, I expected a slobber knocker tonight. Turnovers really are the difference it seems.