NBA 2015-2016

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: NBA 2015-2016

Post by Zip City »

Damn, Cavs....wow. Did not see that coming
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The NBA is entertaining as hell again.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

well double fuck :x :x :x

Warriors played much of this series like they were entitled to win, while Cleveland grabbed every loose ball and rebound and generally played infinitely harder. I can't stand LeBron but he took the belt from the Warriors, game recognize game
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

So which results in more burning/arrests/property damage: celebrating this or the Republican convention?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

How many kids named lebron will be born in OH in the next 12 or so months?

This did more for his reputation and ultimate place in the history books than his entire time in Miami. If he wasn't before, he's now in the mix for GOAT.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Warriors played much of this series like they were entitled to win, while Cleveland grabbed every loose ball and rebound and generally played infinitely harder. I can't stand LeBron but he took the belt from the Warriors, game recognize game
This. Congratulations to the Cavs, they deserve the title.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

beantownbubba wrote:If he wasn't before, he's now in the mix for GOAT.
Agreed. Never seen anything like those last 3 games.
Now LeBron, CP3, and Melo can structure their contracts to play on the same team in 2018-2019 for an old man run at the title.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

96 Bulls retain "best team ever" honors

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:96 Bulls retain "best team ever" honors
Yup.

LBJ pushing Jordan for GOAT. Pushing.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

beantownbubba wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

This did more for his reputation and ultimate place in the history books than his entire time in Miami. If he wasn't before, he's now in the mix for GOAT.
I am a die-hard Chicago Bulls fan. Some of my most fond memories were of watching the Michael Jordan led Bulls. There was a general sentiment among many of the local Chicago Bulls fans who were cheering against the Warriors so that their breaking of the Bulls regular season 72 win record would be trivialized if they did not win the NBA title. I always argued that protectionism for the '96 Bulls legacy would be better cheering against Lebron. The West was tough, but the fact of the matter is that their appears to be bigger disparity in the league between "the haves" and the "have nots" and that the floor of teams in the NBA is weaker in modern times than it was in '96. That may be true or it may not be true. I do not have any data to provide that, but I feel that I could at least argue that case in a bar room debate.
With the harshness of winters and entrenched in our DNA, sports in Chicagoans is so important. There is an absence of objectivity and stern protectionism over the legacy of our greats. When building a Mount Rushmore of Chicago sports athletes the first two to put on the mountain would be Walter Payton and Michael Jordan. From elementary school to late high school, Michael Jordan and the Bulls was everything to me.
Lebron shouldn't give enough respect to the modern era Chicago Bulls to call them a rival, however from his first stint in Cleveland (in the Central), to the Miami move (which many viewed the Bulls as an unrealistic Eastern Conference second fiddle), to his return to Cleveland (in the Central) Lebron James has always been viewed by myself and many to be a rival. Those Bulls teams never really had a chance, but I and many in Chicago despised him. It was the whining (which admittedly Jordan did much of for calls as well). It was the movement to inorganically join super forces twice in two respective "Big 3's".
It pains me to great ends to say this, but when his legacy is finished there will be MJ and there will be Lebron. And for the first time, I am unsure of what order it will be in. All of what was previously done in his "Decision" to go to Miami has thus been erased. Replaced by a redemption story in which the gladiator returns back to carry his team from being down 3-1 to NBA Finals Champions and the first Cleveland Championship in over 50 years. One could argue that he should have been Finals NBA last year in a losing effort. I believe that had Cleveland lost, he would still have been Finals MVP.
Nobody can accurately predict the future, however with the technologies and staff that Lebron implores, its very possible that he visits the NBA Finals another 5-6 times in his career. Now that he has gotten the monkey of off his back in Cleveland, there is a good possibility that the pressure to bring a championship home will be much lesser. And I believe the lack of pressure could create a windfall to even more Championships. Could he match Michael's six rings? I now believe that he could. People in Chicago always argue that Michael never lost in the NBA Finals. But the truth be told, he only got there six times. People also say that had Michael not taken a hiatus from the NBA, the Bulls would have won 8 straight. But the facts are that he didn't. When all is said and done Lebron may play in 12-13 NBA Finals series. People may say that the East was watered down during his time playing. The early Boston Celtics were on the same level of the Bad Boy Detroit Pistons in my book as far as quality of teams. And for the sake of being objective, the East is weak because many players want to avoid that conference due to Lebron's dominance. (And also because Midwest and East Coast winters suck)

It pains me to say all of this. I have been a Lebron-hater since he was drafted out of high school. The protectionist in me has always been sickened by the MJ comparisons, because I now realize that I didn't want to believe in my heart-of-hearts that he could get there. It hurts me to so much to say that he can. And very well might be the GOAT when all is said and done.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:
beantownbubba wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

I am a die-hard Chicago Bulls fan. Some of my most fond memories were of watching the Michael Jordan led Bulls. There was a general sentiment among many of the local Chicago Bulls fans who were cheering against the Warriors so that their breaking of the Bulls regular season 72 win record would be trivialized if they did not win the NBA title. I always argued that protectionism for the '96 Bulls legacy would be better cheering against Lebron. The West was tough, but the fact of the matter is that their appears to be bigger disparity in the league between "the haves" and the "have nots" and that the floor of teams in the NBA is weaker in modern times than it was in '96. That may be true or it may not be true. I do not have any data to provide that, but I feel that I could at least argue that case in a bar room debate.
With the harshness of winters and entrenched in our DNA, sports in Chicagoans is so important. There is an absence of objectivity and stern protectionism over the legacy of our greats. When building a Mount Rushmore of Chicago sports athletes the first two to put on the mountain would be Walter Payton and Michael Jordan. From elementary school to late high school, Michael Jordan and the Bulls was everything to me.
Lebron shouldn't give enough respect to the modern era Chicago Bulls to call them a rival, however from his first stint in Cleveland (in the Central), to the Miami move (which many viewed the Bulls as an unrealistic Eastern Conference second fiddle), to his return to Cleveland (in the Central) Lebron James has always been viewed by myself and many to be a rival. Those Bulls teams never really had a chance, but I and many in Chicago despised him. It was the whining (which admittedly Jordan did much of for calls as well). It was the movement to inorganically join super forces twice in two respective "Big 3's".
It pains me to great ends to say this, but when his legacy is finished there will be MJ and there will be Lebron. And for the first time, I am unsure of what order it will be in. All of what was previously done in his "Decision" to go to Miami has thus been erased. Replaced by a redemption story in which the gladiator returns back to carry his team from being down 3-1 to NBA Finals Champions and the first Cleveland Championship in over 50 years. One could argue that he should have been Finals NBA last year in a losing effort. I believe that had Cleveland lost, he would still have been Finals MVP.
Nobody can accurately predict the future, however with the technologies and staff that Lebron implores, its very possible that he visits the NBA Finals another 5-6 times in his career. Now that he has gotten the monkey of off his back in Cleveland, there is a good possibility that the pressure to bring a championship home will be much lesser. And I believe the lack of pressure could create a windfall to even more Championships. Could he match Michael's six rings? I now believe that he could. People in Chicago always argue that Michael never lost in the NBA Finals. But the truth be told, he only got there six times. People also say that had Michael not taken a hiatus from the NBA, the Bulls would have won 8 straight. But the facts are that he didn't. When all is said and done Lebron may play in 12-13 NBA Finals series. People may say that the East was watered down during his time playing. The early Boston Celtics were on the same level of the Bad Boy Detroit Pistons in my book as far as quality of teams. And for the sake of being objective, the East is weak because many players want to avoid that conference due to Lebron's dominance. (And also because Midwest and East Coast winters suck)

It pains me to say all of this. I have been a Lebron-hater since he was drafted out of high school. The protectionist in me has always been sickened by the MJ comparisons, because I now realize that I didn't want to believe in my heart-of-hearts that he could get there. It hurts me to so much to say that he can. And very well might be the GOAT when all is said and done.
Michael Jordan was the greatest basketball player I've ever seen up close. I went to excess of two dozen games in his career and that guy was the shit. I don't think I missed watching more than a few minutes total in the six championship playoff runs. That said I've always loved Lebron's game. That guy makes boring, mid season basketball fun to watch. Both of these guys serve(d) as the best player in the game in their respective eras. It's the differences between the two that makes this discussion so interesting.

MJ is and was a crazy person. Some have even called him a sociopath although that's probably taking it a step too far. Winning was not just a goal for him it was a way of being. Someone told me a story once that I've never forgotten. When he was just starting his career he used to gather with friends and teammates to play board games mostly as a way to stay out of trouble. After a while no one would accept his invites anymore because he was as ruthless at Monopoly as he was at basketball. His high stakes golf games are legendary. All guys want to win, Michael Jordan needed to win. On the court I have always likened him to a mob boss with a bunch of henchmen. The henchmen have their roles but if they failed he would take over and try to win in spite of them. Michael would have won at any sport he set his mind to as a young man, it just happened to be basketball where the chips fell. Lebron James in many ways stands in stark contrast. That dude loves basketball. Absolutely loves it. Loves to play with teammates who can help him win. He "took his talents to South Beach" to essentially play with buddies and win. He rarely needed to take the last shot or "be the man" especially in the playoffs as his teammates were good complements and he liked being part of that. He also has more of a need to be liked than Jordan did. In fact while Lebron thrives on that MJ couldn't have cared less. The former trait lead him to championships in Miami, the latter led him back to Cleveland because was so hurt to not be Ohio's favorite son anymore. Also James is an encouraging leader to Jordan's "mob boss" persona. To start the playoff run this year Lebron had full sized battle shields made up with everyone on the team's name on them and gave them to each man. The message was that they were all in it together. Somewhere Jordan was laughing his ass off.

The playoffs started with Lebron taking much the same role, relying on teammates and trying to execute a game plan. They failed miserably in three losses going down 3-1 and then something changed. Lebron did what people have hoped he would do for years and years; he took the team on his shoulders and willed them forward. No one ever doubted, with his physical skills, that he could do that but there was rarely much indication that he wanted to. This time, this series, he clearly wanted to and won this series largely by himself. He pushed guys, he took over when they wouldn't be pushed and sparked some confidence in guys like Irving and even Love both of whom had been lethargic and non factors early on. He won this championship because of himself. Because of his willing it to be so. It was really impressive.

When you talk about the GOAT you really are talking about special guys, those with something extra, those that make their teammates better and make wins happen because that's what they do. Michael Jordan did it with the flu, he did it when he was hurting and he won six rings. Lebron has now one three but only one in Jordan fashion. He is a great, great player and one of the greatest ever. If he does this again I think you start having that "greatest" conversation. This Championship sure points to that as being a valid argument down the road. That jury is still out though.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

It's pretty much confirmed Jordan's flu was of the brown bottle variety, correct?

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Iowan wrote:It's pretty much confirmed Jordan's flu was of the brown bottle variety, correct?
The recent stories have said that it was food poisoning from late night pieces of pizza in Utah at a late night slice shop. That story makes zero fucking sense to me though on the sole basis that , "why on Earth would anyone from one of the two pizza capitals of the US, choose a Utah pizza place as their meal of choice during a 2 day trip". Especially when MJ's representative could make a call at any time to have a chef open up shop for any meal, just simply to say that MJ had eaten there.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:It's pretty much confirmed Jordan's flu was of the brown bottle variety, correct?
Not from any credible source I've ever read or heard despite a lot of theories. The most viable story seems to be food poisoning even though the explanation is a little hinky. The thing is, while that was on the big stage of the playoffs, Jordan played very well while sick many times in his career. I believe in a lot of the alleged dark secrets of Jordan, but not necessarily that one.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'd just heard more than a few times that the team was out raising hell the night before the game, which of course was still in the pre-social media era so it seemed believable enough.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Cleveland has now lost its identity as a town of lovable losers.

At least they still have the Browns.

:lol:

Congrats to the Cavaliers and their fans.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Lovable losers is a cute moniker for everyone except the losers. I've hated it as a scuba fan and can't wait for them to win some can stop hearing about Bartman and goats and all the other nonsense

whatwouldcooleydo?

Bill in CT wrote:Cleveland has now lost its identity as a town of lovable losers.

I was really hoping Cleveland wouldn't see a championship in my lifetime, though I could much easier tolerate it being the Indians or Browns.

Just another case of me not getting my way :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Bill in CT wrote:Cleveland has now lost its identity as a town of lovable losers.

I was really hoping Cleveland wouldn't see a championship in my lifetime, though I could much easier tolerate it being the Indians or Browns.

Why would you hope that?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:

Why would you hope that?
I don't like any of their teams, therefore I don't want them to win. Plain and simple. It's sports, I'm not wishing anything on the city other than their teams not winning. It's a great city, I love it and have had great times there, but that doesn't mean I have to want their teams to win.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Seems unnecessarily malicious. I get the LA hate; that's a geographic rivalry. But Cleveland? That's as random as me in Ohio wishing Arizona teams never win or something

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:Seems unnecessarily malicious. I get the LA hate; that's a geographic rivalry. But Cleveland? That's as random as me in Ohio wishing Arizona teams never win or something
Malicious? Good lord, it's not like I want the city to have poverty or crime or unrest or flood or drought or _______ (fill in the blank with real life terrible things)

If the worst thing a city has to deal with is never winning professional sports championships, well, I guess that's what they call first world problems

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

It is a bit unusual that a guy from Cali with Carolina roots has a particular disdain for Cleveland sports. Not malicious, but just surprising.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

There are very few teams that I'm happy to see lose. Most I'm just wholly indifferent about

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:It is a bit unusual that a guy from Cali with Carolina roots has a particular disdain for Cleveland sports. Not malicious, but just surprising.
well, sports fandom is well-known for its rationality :lol:

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:It is a bit unusual that a guy from Cali with Carolina roots has a particular disdain for Cleveland sports. Not malicious, but just surprising.
I don't know you in real life, but your posts here seem to concentrate more on hating other teams than cheering on your own

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:
I don't know you in real life, but your posts here seem to concentrate more on hating other teams than cheering on your own
You are correct, you don't know me.

And while I don't agree with your point, so what if that were the case? If the worst thing you can call me is "sports hater,' I'm more than fine with that. There are a lot of 3DD folks who do know me in real life and I feel confident most of them think I am a pretty solid guy

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I think you're a pretty solid guy as well. Just making an observation ;)

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

My 2 cents--I love sports hate, it's fun. As long as everyone recognizes that at the end of the day it's just entertainment. E.g., I hate in no particular order: Florida Gators (my brother graduated from there and sorry, Mr. and Mrs. Swamp); Notre Dame; the Dodgers (holdover from when they were in the Braves' division and constantly kicking our ass); the Red Sox for no reason that I know of (shout out to BTB); the New Orleans Saints; the Detroit Pistons (mainly b/c of Isiah and Lambeer). The owner of Manuel's Tavern where I tended bar all through the 90's was a huge Ga. Tech fan and he used to kick everyone out of his bar if Tech lost to UGA that year. The waiters would bring beer and food to the customers out in the parking lot until he cooled off and everyone could come back in. Now that's sports hate. :lol:
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Markalanbishop wrote:My 2 cents--I love sports hate, it's fun. As long as everyone recognizes that at the end of the day it's just entertainment.
Exactly