NBA 2015-2016

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: NBA 2015-2016

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

there's a good joke to be made about how nice it was for Steph Curry to spend Father's Day with his daddy

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Speaking of sports hate :lol:
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:My 2 cents--I love sports hate, it's fun. As long as everyone recognizes that at the end of the day it's just entertainment.
Exactly
I thought you were supposed to be the resident hippie :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:My 2 cents--I love sports hate, it's fun. As long as everyone recognizes that at the end of the day it's just entertainment.
Exactly
I thought you were supposed to be the resident hippie :lol:
Me? I'm a Deadhead but was never a hippie, I pay/paid too much attention to hygiene :lol:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

My sports hate list:
1A. KU
1B. Nebraska
1C. Iowa

2. The Packers

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Packers and Cardinals....that's it

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Derrick Rose traded to the Knicks. The question is why would anyone want him?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Derrick Rose traded to the Knicks. The question is why would anyone want him?
from the comments section from the Gawker report on this:

Aren’t there laws against transporting corpses across state lines?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

word is that the Knicks also are pursuing Dwight Howard.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Derrick Rose traded to the Knicks. The question is why would anyone want him?

I hope they trade Butler to Minnesota now for the 5th pick. Break it down and start all over again. Unfortunately I doubt the dumbasses in charge of the Bulls will do that or if they're even capable of building a team from scratch.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I hope they trade Butler to Minnesota now for the 5th pick. Break it down and start all over again. Unfortunately I doubt the dumbasses in charge of the Bulls will do that or if they're even capable of building a team from scratch.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

The problem is that the fifth pick is worthless in this weak ass draft

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:The problem is that the fifth pick is worthless in this weak ass draft
A role player is enough at this point. Dragen Bender could end up as a decent big. They're going to have to be a lottery team for a few years to get anywhere at all.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:The problem is that the fifth pick is worthless in this weak ass draft
A role player is enough at this point. Dragen Bender could end up as a decent big. They're going to have to be a lottery team for a few years to get anywhere at all.
I don't think they'll go full rebuild because big market teams rarely do. They'll have to sell Butler for pennies on the dollar for the unknown of the lottery. Not a great spot to be in

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
I don't think they'll go full rebuild because big market teams rarely do. They'll have to sell Butler for pennies on the dollar for the unknown of the lottery. Not a great spot to be in
Are you saying that the current/recent state of Lakers and Knicks isn't "full rebuild"? Does one have to be the current/recent Sixers to be in full rebuild? 100% unsnarky question, just want to be clear on your definition

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Holding onto Bryant/Carmelo means no, they weren't in full rebuild. I don't think the Knicks have been losing on purpose to get higher picks, they just suck

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:Holding onto Bryant/Carmelo means no, they weren't in full rebuild. I don't think the Knicks have been losing on purpose to get higher picks, they just suck
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

And you are right, they do suck :D

whatwouldcooleydo?

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
A couple thoughts I have, but I don't have answers to regarding the Bulls situation.
1) It's my understanding that the Celtics are desperate for another star on their team. I believe you could Butler and receive back Jae Crowder, another player or two who would even out the contracts, and likely the #3 and #16 overall pick in a weak draft class. With that pick you could take your successor at point guard in Kris Dunn or forward Jaylen Brown. I am not opposed to blowing this whole thing up given that they likely won't come close to be a contender with their current construction for 3-4 years which Jimmy would be 29 or 30. A 29/30 year old with a couple years of hard Thibs minutes on him too. A really good two way player, whose isolation style of offense doesn't match their current coach and the direction the league is going in.
The other side of the coin is that going into next year's free agent class the Bulls will only have about $33 million on the books, which would enable them to acquire immediate assets to parlay with Jimmy, their presumed 2017 high lottery pick, Robin Lopez (who doesn't excite me, but whose fiscal contract isn't crippling), and the other unproven role player rookies which they have will have rostered (Portis/McDermott/Jerian Grant/the #14th pick tonight) . So the Bulls may feel that they can get more competitive in a year. It likely won't get you to anything more than a ceiling as a one and done playoff team.
So I don't know what the answer is on whether to keep him or not. But if you could get a decent haul for Butler I'd say get really young and really bad so that you may catch lightening in a bottle with a draft pick or the development of a one or two of your draft picks. I'm open minded to either way they go.

2) Joe Cowley from the Sun Times has reported yesterday on 670 The Score that the Bulls will not even engage in dialogue with the T'Wolves for the #5 pick, just based on the Thibs factor. What shitty owner ship to not even discuss a potential business transaction. If not to simply say, "I'm not interested." The Bulls ownership and management has had a shitty reputation for years and why burn any bridges for potentially doing a deal down the road with the T'Wolves. The #5 pick could yield you an undersized shooting guard in Jamal Murray, but this team could use some scoring moving forward. They would also give you Zach Lavigne, Dieng, and another $13 big whose name escapes me.

3) Do you think that the Lakers would be willing to part with #2 pick (Brandon Ingram) with a package for Jimmy Butler? Even if they don't the Lakers are still in a much better spot than the Bulls moving forward. Jim Buss, is considered to be a world class asshat, but D'Angelo Russell, Brandon Ingram, and Julius Randle, and a shitload of cap space for an intriguing free agent destination isn't a bad spot to be in the year after Kobe retires.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:
2) Joe Cowley from the Sun Times has reported yesterday on 670 The Score that the Bulls will not even engage in dialogue with the T'Wolves for the #5 pick, just based on the Thibs factor. What shitty owner ship to not even discuss a potential business transaction. If not to simply say, "I'm not interested." The Bulls ownership and management has had a shitty reputation for years and why burn any bridges for potentially doing a deal down the road with the T'Wolves. The #5 pick could yield you an undersized shooting guard in Jamal Murray, but this team could use some scoring moving forward. They would also give you Zach Lavigne, Dieng, and another $13 big whose name escapes me.
This is the crux of it right here. These guys don't do everything that it takes to win. A deal with Thibs for Butler does make some sense and if you refuse to deal with him because you're organizationally pissed at him that makes you incompetent at your job. Not that the revelation comes as a shock. Last year's abysmal performance exposed a few things:

- Butler and Rose could not coexist
- Gar-Pax hired a coach in Fred Hoiberg who didn't fit the talent that was there.
- Butler ignored the game planning of Hoiberg openly and repeatedly

So now they've solved one problem and are left with at least 2 more. So if they're keeping Butler how is Hoiberg supposed to win over his team? This is a guy in open revolt. Also Gar Foreman was responsible for it. Why are all three of these guys, Butler, Hoiberg and Foreman, still in the mix together? If it's Butler you love Hoiberg and Foreman should have been fired. If it's Foreman who you believe has the vision than you trade Butler. Pretty simple shit and they don't get it.

I just don't believe this team will ever win under current ownership/leadership. Even if everything goes perfectly they're a decade from a championship run after spending almost a decade getting here.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:
This is the crux of it right here. These guys don't do everything that it takes to win. A deal with Thibs for Butler does make some sense and if you refuse to deal with him because you're organizationally pissed at him that makes you incompetent at your job. Not that the revelation comes as a shock. Last year's abysmal performance exposed a few things:

- Butler and Rose could not coexist
- Gar-Pax hired a coach in Fred Hoiberg who didn't fit the talent that was there.
- Butler ignored the game planning of Hoiberg openly and repeatedly

So now they've solved one problem and are left with at least 2 more. So if they're keeping Butler how is Hoiberg supposed to win over his team? This is a guy in open revolt. Also Gar Foreman was responsible for it. Why are all three of these guys, Butler, Hoiberg and Foreman, still in the mix together? If it's Butler you love Hoiberg and Foreman should have been fired. If it's Foreman who you believe has the vision than you trade Butler. Pretty simple shit and they don't get it.

I just don't believe this team will ever win under current ownership/leadership. Even if everything goes perfectly they're a decade from a championship run after spending almost a decade getting here.
Yeah. They are awful. I understand that Thibs shelf life might have run out. It isn't uncommon for hard driving coaches to spend shorter times with organizations. He was a great coach though, that did get the most out of his players. But the way that whole thing went down and the way that he was sabotaged by management, it is ridiculous that Paxson and Foreman have a job. Especially given exhibit B, in which John Paxson physically choked Vinnie DelNegro with his tie. And exhibit C, the firing of Scott Skiles on Christmas Eve. Low class moves between management and your three previous coaches. It begins and ends with Jerry Reinsdorf though and his loyalty in putting friends in management positions for two long. One could even point to Phil Jackson's exit and the tension with management there, which I throw more on Reinsdorf than Krause.
Reinsdorf's ownership in Chicago's South Side baseball team has a lot of similar parallels.

Me? I'll still always follow this team as my #1. But I'll be damn sure buying some Minnesota T'Wolves gear to rock, as my timely #1A team.

whatwouldcooleydo?

After 52 years I guess Cleveland fans were used to the taste

still probably better than that chili in Cincinnati :lol: :lol: :lol:

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Serge Ibaka to Orlando for Victor Oladipo, the young Sabonis (11th pick) & some guy named Irlyasova who I know nothing about. I've been an Ibaka fan but I think the Thunder comes out well in this deal. Helps to get rid of his max salary and Oladipo is the 2 way player thyve been desparately looking for. Not real sure why Orlando agreed to it but I''ll take it.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Kevin Durant is joining the Golden State Warriors next season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16759 ... e-warriors
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

reports are saying that the Spurs have signed Pau Gasol and that Tim Duncan is almost certainly retiring

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Durant playing the "if you can't beat em' join em'" game

Westbrook counting down the days before he can bolt for LA

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Zip City wrote:Durant playing the "if you can't beat em' join em'" game

Westbrook counting down the days before he can bolt for LA
He may be. I don't think he'll get the chance to just walk away like KD did. Thunder is at work right now trying to renegotiate/extend Westbrooks contract. If he just won't do that then he'll be traded. Mark it down. I think everyone on the Thunder side really thought KD would sign the 2 yr deal with player option with them. He's free to do what he wants but it was at least a little shitty to wait til today to announce it after all other free agent possibilities had signed elsewhere. I don't believe for a minute his mind wasn't made up by Saturday morning. Plus, the ibaka trade would've never happened if KD hadn't given the thunder some sort of indication that he was for changing the team that way.
I think I'll blame rock nation.

whatwouldcooleydo?

this was inevitable

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

4sooner wrote:
I think I'll blame clams.
Fixed that for ya.

Superstars creating their own super teams was not my personal vision of how free agency would work. I don't like the way it is actually working out.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard