NBA 2015-2016

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

bovine knievel

Re: NBA 2015-2016

Post by bovine knievel »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:73 wins, nice job.

Warriors CAME out to play
And what about Curry surpassing 400 3's!?
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:73 wins, nice job.

Warriors CAME out to play
Congrats, there are a lot of pissed off people in Chicago today but they're assholes and I'm not one of them, what are we the fucking 72 Dolphins ? This was the one record I didn't think would ever be broken because of the way NBA teams really take games off both n the middle of the season and down the stretch to stay sharp. I remember people talking about how that Miami winning streak a few years back actually cost them a ring because they were gassed. If Golden State goes ahead and wins the title again now I think they're the greatest single season team of all time. More power to them. Get it done,
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm more impressed with Curry breaking the 3's record by 116. That might never be broken
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Zip City wrote:I'm more impressed with Curry breaking the 3's record by 116. That might never be broken
shades of Bob Beamon

Beamon broke the existing world record by an unbelievable 21 3/4 inches (55 cm)! Prior to Beamon’s jump, the world record had been broken thirteen times since 1901, with an average increase of 6 cm (2 1/2 in.) and the largest increase being 15 cm (6 in.). His world record stood for 23 years until it was finally broken in 1991 when Mike Powell jumped 8.95 m (29 ft. 4 3/8 in.) at the World Championships in Tokyo, but Beamon's jump is still the Olympic record
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beamon's jump was one of the most amazing athletic feats I've ever witnessed (on TV, but still). Curry's record is impressive but I predict it won't stand half as long. As discussed briefly in the college bball thread, the game is changing in favor of the 3 point shot, both from an athletic standpoint (the shooters are better) and from a coaching/tactical point of view (the better the shooters are the more it makes sense to structure offense around the 3 point shot). Curry is more a harbinger of things to come than a true outlier.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:Beamon's jump was one of the most amazing athletic feats I've ever witnessed (on TV, but still). Curry's record is impressive but I predict it won't stand half as long. As discussed briefly in the college bball thread, the game is changing in favor of the 3 point shot, both from an athletic standpoint (the shooters are better) and from a coaching/tactical point of view (the better the shooters are the more it makes sense to structure offense around the 3 point shot). Curry is more a harbinger of things to come than a true outlier.
All that is true, but to see the record jump from 286 to 402 in one season is unfathomable
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Beamon's jump was one of the most amazing athletic feats I've ever witnessed (on TV, but still). Curry's record is impressive but I predict it won't stand half as long. As discussed briefly in the college bball thread, the game is changing in favor of the 3 point shot, both from an athletic standpoint (the shooters are better) and from a coaching/tactical point of view (the better the shooters are the more it makes sense to structure offense around the 3 point shot). Curry is more a harbinger of things to come than a true outlier.
All that is true, but to see the record jump from 286 to 402 in one season is unfathomable

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:
Also worthy of note is that Curry went from 23 PPG last year to 30 PPG this year. Certianly fathomable but still, when the MVP increases his scoring by 7 per game and is by most "expert" accounts the most improved player in the league, that is something

whatwouldcooleydo?

I really wish I had been old enough to watch and recall the 68 Summer Olympics. I was only 2. I do remember Munich 72 pretty clearly, though much of it would be better forgotten

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

First round predictions:
Warriors in 5.
Spurs in 4.
Thunder in 5.
Clippers in 6.
Cavs in 4.
Raptors in 5.
Heat in 6.
Celtics in 7.

Go Celtics.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Hawks/Celtics was boring last night, but:
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Russell. Westbrook.

whatwouldcooleydo?

When Curry went down and later revealed to be out two weeks, I got very nervous. Then found out Chris Paul broke his hand last night and is done. So if Warriors finish Houston tomorrow, and they should, that should buy Curry a week of recovery before the second round series. And if LA gets by Portland (hopefully in a grueling 7-games), which w/o Paul will be tough, the Warriors would get the Clippers without Paul. I don't see the Clippers in such a scenario giving the Warriors much of a fight, with or without Curry. If Portland wins that series and faces Warriors, all bets are off

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:When Curry went down and later revealed to be out two weeks, I got very nervous. Then found out Chris Paul broke his hand last night and is done. So if Warriors finish Houston tomorrow, and they should, that should buy Curry a week of recovery before the second round series. And if LA gets by Portland (hopefully in a grueling 7-games), which w/o Paul will be tough, the Warriors would get the Clippers without Paul. I don't see the Clippers in such a scenario giving the Warriors much of a fight, with or without Curry. If Portland wins that series and faces Warriors, all bets are off
My question is how healthy will Curry actually be in 2 weeks? He will be in slightly worse shape if nothing else.
I don't consider it automatic they beat Portland OR LA at this point. Obviously Paul's injury helps them out a lot.
I am starting to think the winner of the Thunder Spurs series is going to take this thing.
Assuming no one else gets hurt!

whatwouldcooleydo?

brstigerfan wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:When Curry went down and later revealed to be out two weeks, I got very nervous. Then found out Chris Paul broke his hand last night and is done. So if Warriors finish Houston tomorrow, and they should, that should buy Curry a week of recovery before the second round series. And if LA gets by Portland (hopefully in a grueling 7-games), which w/o Paul will be tough, the Warriors would get the Clippers without Paul. I don't see the Clippers in such a scenario giving the Warriors much of a fight, with or without Curry. If Portland wins that series and faces Warriors, all bets are off
My question is how healthy will Curry actually be in 2 weeks? He will be in slightly worse shape if nothing else.
I don't consider it automatic they beat Portland OR LA at this point. Obviously Paul's injury helps them out a lot.
I am starting to think the winner of the Thunder Spurs series is going to take this thing.
Assuming no one else gets hurt!
That's the question we all want to know, at least out here. I don't think beating either LA or Portland is automatic but I still like their chances. That changes against Spurs/OKC if Curry is less than 100%. Time to see what they've got in their collective belly

I didn't see it but heard DeAndre Jordan airballed two consecutive free throws last night :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Just read that Blake Griffin is also out for remainder of playoffs. Without him and Paul, I think the remainder of the playoffs is gonna be short for Clippers

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Just read that Blake Griffin is also out for remainder of playoffs. Without him and Paul, I think the remainder of the playoffs is gonna be short for Clippers
You play the ridiculously long and boring 82 game regular season for a shot at the playoffs and them boom!, just like that it's over before it starts. I hate when that happens.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Just read that Blake Griffin is also out for remainder of playoffs. Without him and Paul, I think the remainder of the playoffs is gonna be short for Clippers
You play the ridiculously long and boring 82 game regular season for a shot at the playoffs and them boom!, just like that it's over before it starts. I hate when that happens.
This is not in response to what you said. I have read speculation that Griffin's injury was not necessarily season-ending, but with Paul's injury he just shut it down (assuming he just figured they had no shot w/o Paul and said "fuck it"). I guess you gotta protect your "brand" :roll:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
This is not in response to what you said. I have read speculation that Griffin's injury was not necessarily season-ending, but with Paul's injury he just shut it down (assuming he just figured they had no shot w/o Paul and said "fuck it"). I guess you gotta protect your "brand" :roll:
I hadn't heard that, I'm not yet prepared to believe it and I hope it's not true.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: This is not in response to what you said. I have read speculation that Griffin's injury was not necessarily season-ending, but with Paul's injury he just shut it down (assuming he just figured they had no shot w/o Paul and said "fuck it"). I guess you gotta protect your "brand" :roll:
I hadn't heard that, I'm not yet prepared to believe it and I hope it's not true.
If it it is I have no trouble believing it. When has he ever showed any kind of ________ (insert whichever "fire in the belly"-like cliche you prefer) ? He might not be at the level of a Dwight Howard or James Harden but I don't have any trouble seeing him quit on his team

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Houston Rockets are horrifyingly bad. The first quarter was basically 1 (Harden) against 5.

How is it possible for a professional basketball player to shoot thirty-five percent from the foul line? Before this week I would have said it was impossible. Feh.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:The Houston Rockets are horrifyingly bad. The first quarter was basically 1 (Harden) against 5.

How is it possible for a professional basketball player to shoot thirty-five percent from the foul line? Before this week I would have said it was impossible. Feh.
While I am not a Rocket fan by any measure, I was really into those two championship Houston teams of the mid-90s (I lived in Austin then). This gutless bunch is a disgrace and don't deserve to wear the uniform worn by Hakeem, Kenny the Jet, Otis Thorpe, Bob Horry, Clyde Drexler et al.

I wouldn't want Howard or Harden on my team. You aren't winning jack with those two

Oh yeah, Go Warriors :lol:

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Last night this happened in Boston: Hawks beat Celtics, Braves beat Red Sox. That's right, I'm looking at you BTB ;)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Markalanbishop wrote:Last night this happened in Boston: Hawks beat Celtics, Braves beat Red Sox. That's right, I'm looking at you BTB ;)
Oh, really? I hadn't heard. :mrgreen:

whatwouldcooleydo?

missed first 3 quarters of Warriors/Blazers last night but had been tracking score, W's down the entire time. Turned on in time for the 4th and watched a defensive clinic by the Warriors. To say they clamped down on Portland is a massive understatement. Lillard had been tearing them up to that point but not beyond. Textbook team defense but Green and Ezeli were particular standouts. Big win

whatwouldcooleydo?

one thing that really sucks about the NBA playoffs, even with it helping Curry and the Warriors:

game 2 on Tuesday, game 3 on Saturday.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:one thing that really sucks about the NBA playoffs, even with it helping Curry and the Warriors:

game 2 on Tuesday, game 3 on Saturday.

LOL was gonna post to the same effect earlier today. The NBA play off schedule is in its way as bad as the NBA regular season schedule is in its. Totally different but totally not fan or competition friendly.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

beantownbubba wrote: The NBA play off schedule is in its way as bad as the NBA regular season schedule is in its. Totally different but totally not fan or competition friendly.

whatwouldcooleydo?

once again--Warriors came out to play, and by Warriors I mean the MVP in the 4th and OT

R.I.P. City

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Was that an earthquake in Oakland last nite, or just a basketball game? Time will tell I guess.

Interesting that despite each having their own 0 for a lot streaks, Westbrook & Durant were able to make the big shots when needed to while the 50% shooting (first half) Warriors couldn't find the bucket w/ radar in the 2nd half. This one goes in Westbrook's column for sure.