RIP George

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

PeterJ

RIP George

Post by PeterJ »

I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Penny Lane

Re: RIP George

Post by Penny Lane »

wow.....didn't know he was sick
In my blood, there's gasoline..

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

RIP

BostonREB

Post by BostonREB »

Thanks for the memories Boss. Glad you got to see one more World Championship before you passed on.
Send lawyers, guns and money....

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Penny Lane wrote:wow.....didn't know he was sick

Heart attack.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Clams

Post by Clams »

PeterJ wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:wow.....didn't know he was sick

Heart attack.

The heart attack did him in but he's been sick (alzheimers) and out of the public eye for a long time. He might be the last of a dying breed and I'm sorry to see him go. He had his flaws but on the whole, more sports owners should have the passion for winning that he had.

If you don't run you rust

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Clams wrote:Image

awesome outfit, RIP
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

wait, Steinbrenner had a heart? I keed, I keed.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

ain't no static on the gospel radio

Clams

Post by Clams »

And who can forget Steinbrenner's "cameos" on Seinfeld?
If you don't run you rust

The Black Canary

LuthierJustin wrote:
Clams wrote:Image

awesome outfit, RIP

Hey Papa Eagle, wore that with a matching jacket and scali hat to my high school graduation back in 198? !!! He wanted to make sure I could see him from the field!!!! :lol: :lol: and this is not even a joke, he actually did this!!!! Love my Papa Eagle !!!!

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I don't think so. I think the guy was a jerk and a blowhard and a sleazebag of the highest order. I mean come on, the crap he pulled on Winfield. I give him a bit of a break on account of how he was shook down by Nixon for a campaign contribution but that's about it. I actually find a great deal of dazzling irony, that years later he would use the same kind of dirty tricks on one of his own players. He also, along with the evil Bud selig, had a huge hand it transmogrifying the game from the elegant purity of it's golden years, into the modern, free agent, steroid riddled, moneyball shell of it's former great self that it is right now.
Keep calm and have a cigar

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I hate the fact that the revisionist history has already started on the guy, who imo was, is and always will be an unfortunate development in the game of baseball, but i really don't see the point in that sort of "humor" before he's even buried. He was, despite everything, a human being and he has family.

But let me be clear: I think he was one of the worst things to ever happen to the game, and an insufferable blowhard to boot. He had his good points - his charitable contributions and appearances on Seinfeld prime among them, but as far as i'm concerned, the bad far outweighed the good.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flood18

Post by Flood18 »

sactochris wrote:

I don't think so. I think the guy was a jerk and a blowhard and a sleazebag of the highest order. I give him a bit of a break on account of how he was shook down by Nixon but that's about it. He had a huge hand it transmogrifying the game from the elegant purity of it's golden years and into the modern, free agent, steroid riddled, moneyball shell of it's former great self that it is right now.

If half of owners cared as much about their teams as he did, would the game not be better? As for the money thing, I believe you would be hard pressed to find someone that owuld act differently in the same shoes. If you had the money to spend and the rules allowed it, then whose to say you cant do it? Not to mention he raised a lot of the money through YES and all that other broadcasting BS he started up. As much as i hate the yankees, its mostly out of jealousy. George Steinbrenner was good for the game. And as for the steroids and lack of salary cap, that falls as much upon the COmmish and MLBPA than it doesn anyone.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

beantownbubba wrote:I hate the fact that the revisionist history has already started on the guy, who imo was, is and always will be an unfortunate development in the game of baseball, but i really don't see the point in that sort of "humor" before he's even buried. He was, despite everything, a human being and he has family.

But let me be clear: I think he was one of the worst things to ever happen to the game, and an insufferable blowhard to boot. He had his good points - his charitable contributions and appearances on Seinfeld prime among them, but as far as i'm concerned, the bad far outweighed the good.

BINGO!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flood18 wrote:
sactochris wrote:

I don't think so. I think the guy was a jerk and a blowhard and a sleazebag of the highest order. I give him a bit of a break on account of how he was shook down by Nixon but that's about it. He had a huge hand it transmogrifying the game from the elegant purity of it's golden years and into the modern, free agent, steroid riddled, moneyball shell of it's former great self that it is right now.

If half of owners cared as much about their teams as he did, would the game not be better? As for the money thing, I believe you would be hard pressed to find someone that owuld act differently in the same shoes. If you had the money to spend and the rules allowed it, then whose to say you cant do it? Not to mention he raised a lot of the money through YES and all that other broadcasting BS he started up. As much as i hate the yankees, its mostly out of jealousy. George Steinbrenner was good for the game. And as for the steroids and lack of salary cap, that falls as much upon the COmmish and MLBPA than it doesn anyone.

That's an interesting comment, Flood. It's like the old debate about whether running to 1st base on a walk means you hustle more or care more than somebody who jogs down to 1st in the same situation. Bluster, publicly insulting and humiliating players, coaches and staff, and public tantrums are not necessarily evidence of caring more than the other guy. I'm not saying he cared less, i just doubt that he cared more.

Flood18

Post by Flood18 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Flood18 wrote:
sactochris wrote:

That's an interesting comment, Flood. It's like the old debate about whether running to 1st base on a walk means you hustle more or care more than somebody who jogs down to 1st in the same situation. Bluster, publicly insulting and humiliating players, coaches and staff, and public tantrums are not necessarily evidence of caring more than the other guy. I'm not saying he cared less, i just doubt that he cared more.

My argument was more based on the fact that i think his commitment to winning should be the standard among owners rather than the exception it seems to be. I will not argue the fact he came across as a bitch more than 80% of the time. But he also at least attempted to keep the class and "swagger" (lack of a better word) of the yankees in tact. Its not like he walked into the greatest situation when he bought the team from CBS or whoever the fuck it was. He built the organization from the ground up and is very loyal to the players the yankees bring up through the organization. He may act like a dick to any outsiders and to anyone who crosses him, but i do think the yankees are better for it. And in my opinion baseball would be a much more competitive league as a whole implementing his mindset. That being said i am not the least bit surprised people despise him nor do i completely disagree with most of your statements. But take that for what you will, baseball is a sport with many many flaws and until someone actually gives a shit and Selig gets his act together its a lost cause.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'll give u swagger, and i'll even agree that he CARED about the "Yankees" meaning something. But class???? No way, no how. Almost the dictionary definition of lack of class, imo.

The Black Canary

beantownbubba wrote:I'll give u swagger, and i'll even agree that he CARED about the "Yankees" meaning something. But class???? No way, no how. Almost the dictionary definition of lack of class, imo.

BTB please do not hold back tell us you really feel about George!!! ;) ;)

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

beantownbubba wrote:I hate the fact that the revisionist history has already started on the guy, who imo was, is and always will be an unfortunate development in the game of baseball, but i really don't see the point in that sort of "humor" before he's even buried. He was, despite everything, a human being and he has family.

Make that one less good point...he wasn't really on Seinfeld. It was Larry David's voice that played him. And, yes, that character is gold, Jerry, gold.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

beantownbubba wrote:I'll give u swagger, and i'll even agree that he CARED about the "Yankees" meaning something. But class???? No way, no how. Almost the dictionary definition of lack of class, imo.

Bingo yet again my good man!

Flood18

Post by Flood18 »

sactochris wrote:

I suppose i didnt really mean class when i said it, because the yankees are pretty notorious for having shit heads on their team, my main point was just that the guy wasnt as bad as the public viewed him, IMO. There have been much worse owners in history.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flood18 wrote:
sactochris wrote:

I suppose i didnt really mean class when i said it, because the yankees are pretty notorious for having shit heads on their team, my main point was just that the guy wasnt as bad as the public viewed him, IMO. There have been much worse owners in history.

In today's Globe, columnist Dan Shaugnessy, a major George basher over the years, swears that if we met Steinbrenner we would have liked him. Maybe, maybe not, but i thought it was interesting that he said that.

Flood18

Post by Flood18 »

Such is the duality...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flood18 wrote:Such is the duality...

of the yankee thing? :D

Flood18

Post by Flood18 »

Weird how well that fits. Oh well whatever, just so i dont get to into the habit of defending them....Fuck the yankees, go braves.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Color me shocked that the Red Sox fan has less than positive things to say about the Yankees owner
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Fuck that pompous Yankee fuck. Remember when he made up some story about two Dodger fans attacking him in an elevator?

That being said, one thing I liked about him was that he was able to make fun of himself. The commercials with Billy Martin (You're fired! You're hired!), being on Saturday Night Live, etc. and he supposedly thought Seinfeld was hilarious.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Why Henry Drinks

Post by Why Henry Drinks »

BostonREB wrote:Thanks for the memories Boss. Glad you got to see one more World Championship before you passed on.

Fuck Steinbrenner, he ruined baseball. Maybe now we will get a salary cap like every other sport. Yankees Suck and so did Georgie....

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Steinbrenner didn't ruin anything. He played by the rules and built MLB into what it is today. In fact, several teams wouldn't exist right now if not for the Yankees
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever