Nashville this weekend...

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

GuitarManUpstairs

Nashville this weekend...

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

So I have never spent really any time in Nashville other than passing through and know very little about the town. As it turns out we will be there this weekend. Strutter is taking our niece to an Austin Mahone "concert" which thankfully I do not have to attend and am free to roam about town with my brother-in-law as we wish. I know I can probably stumble pretty easily onto Music Row and the tourist traps but I really want to avoid that and explore into this mythical world that is supposedly East Nashville without necessarily getting too dirty over there. So where would yall, who have opinions and more experience than I with this area, suggest we go?

I need bars/restaurants, music venues, weird shit to do or see, etc....

Thanks!
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Clams

Re: Nashville this weekend...

Post by Clams »

"Sense of Place: Caitlin Rose takes World Cafe’s David Dye on an East Nashville Bar Crawl"

http://thekey.xpn.org/2013/04/08/nashvi ... bar-crawl/

Looks like some great bars in this vid
If you don't run you rust

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:So I have never spent really any time in Nashville other than passing through and know very little about the town. As it turns out we will be there this weekend. Strutter is taking our niece to an Austin Mahone "concert" which thankfully I do not have to attend and am free to roam about town with my brother-in-law as we wish. I know I can probably stumble pretty easily onto Music Row and the tourist traps but I really want to avoid that and explore into this mythical world that is supposedly East Nashville without necessarily getting too dirty over there. So where would yall, who have opinions and more experience than I with this area, suggest we go?

I need bars/restaurants, music venues, weird shit to do or see, etc....

Thanks!

Todd Farrell plays a lot of gigs in Nashville and is worth checking out. Give him a shout on FB. If he's not playing he'll probably know some good bands that are.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

East Nash--You have to have a hot dog from the I dream of Weenie hot dog cart in East Nash. (See visual stimulation)

--if you park near the hot dog cart, you can walk to all the little shops in east nash, stalk Elizabeth Cook's house, the 5 spot, all those bars (just remember they still smoke in bars in east nash ....so yuck) Todd Snider's wife has a little shop down there, too.

And try to get into The Pharmacy Burger, however, if it's a weekend, wait may be over an hour. Waiters are super stoned and carry around ipads they can't figure out...(depending on how close to 4:20 it is, you may be able to dine and dash with the kids)..

http://nashvilleody.blogspot.com/2013/07/yet-another-burger-coda-pharmacy.html

whatever you do, do NOT go to this place, i don't care what Jason Isbell says on the podcast with Marc Maron.

The kids will cry, you will poop your pants, I did both.. trust me on this one. Maybe World Wide BBQ Bill could handle it but seriously..apparntly Prince's Cx is where it's at.

The Station Inn for live music--This isn't in East Nash---but a pretty cool place. Otis Gibbs just had his record release there---it would seriously be a church basement. There are folding chairs and they serve popcorn --but there are some original Nash songwriters who get up there every night i think. No one is under the age of 50, too. It's great. (or is that just me)...if you want to avoid Tootsies and all those crappy touristy places, this is an alternative:

http://stationinn.com/index01/

If you two want a date night, try here! Really good (reasonably priced Italian food)-they have a market attached, live piano player and gelato (woo!)..it's about 3/4 miles out.

http://www.italianmarket.biz/Italian_Market_Menus.html

If you have a couple hours, check out the Country Music Hall of Fame---it's REALLY good. (not to mention the new taylor swift WING!!) But seriously, it's really good. That's all I've really done there.

but if you've got the kiddos, going out to the mall/aquarium out by the opry might be a good idea....they have a lot of other kid stuff i think.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

GuitarManUpstairs

Penny Lane wrote:The kids will cry, you will poop your pants, I did both..

Thanks for the heads up. I actually had went back to the WTF Maron to see where they said to go. lol

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

If Smitty doesn't post here (I imagine he's a bit busy these days) I suggest either searching for his previous Nashville recs or PMing him. He seems to know what he's talking about. On this subject only, I hasten to add.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Penny Lane is right about The Pharmacy. It is great but can be tedious.
Right down the street from it is The 5 Spot where Tim Carroll, Elizabeth Cook's husband and great writer and guitar player, plays happy hour on fridays. If you are in east Nashville you have to go to 3 Crow Bar which is probably the most famous spot in east Nashville.
Other good food spots I can think of......Soulshine in midtown, Pied Piper ice cream in east Nashville, Chuy's is kind of a chain type thing but is fantastic, Belcourt Taps in Hillsboro Village, Mad Donna's in east Nashville, Mitchell's Deli in east Nashville.
Phonoluxe Records, Mckay Used Books and Music, and Grimey's are all really good record stores. There is also a record store in east Nashville called The Groove.
There are a few things to start. I will look around a bit and see if I can find any other good music going on.

GuitarManUpstairs

Muchas gracias everyone. I'll probably go in without any plan with all these things in mind then you know....look for any kind of trouble I can find.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Prince's hot chicken is very good. The medium is plenty hot.
I have been to the one off Dickerson Pike several times.
Just wander downtown. The bars on Broadway all have free live music
and cold beer. Go into Hatch Show prints and browse. Have a blast.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.