R.I.P. Robin Williams

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

TW_2.0

R.I.P. Robin Williams

Post by TW_2.0 »

Apparent suicide.

Ugh.

So sad.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: R.I.P. Robin Williams

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Just saw the report. So very sad. He was always one of my very favorites.

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Man... what a drag.

Here's one of my favorites:

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Despite him being a comedian, I thought he was far better in non-comic film roles
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

The black dog is a harsh mistress.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Awful. RIP.

One my favorite roles of his he wasn't even credited for, that of the crazy discredited shrink in Dead Again.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I'm rooting for autoerotic asphyxiation as the relatively healthy alternative to suicide...and I've got Live at the Met running right now. In fact, it just made me laugh.

"It's the Mansons versus the Hinckleys!...I built this cruise missile to keep these kids from playin' ZZ Top...One little old lady up in front of them in a little tiny Volkswagon with a grenade launche4r going, 'Make my day!'...Mister Reagan, in the dictionary, under redundant, it says, "See redundant'?"

Damn. What a talent. What a waste.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Damn that sucks. Very upsetting, very sad.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

I just saw where someone referred to Robin Williams as a "coward". I remember several similar responses to the news of Philip Seymour Hoffman's passing. It just goes to show how very few actually have any grasp of what depression is or how it affects people.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Sad day.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Noo! Damn. He was one of the best.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Marc Maron - who did some excellent interviews with Patterson and Jason Isbell earlier this year - has re-posted his interview from a few years back with Williams on the WTF podcast. Heavy stuff.

http://www.wtfpod.com/
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

My wife said something that really struck a chord with me last night, she said that "you know, if someone with his wealth and connections can't get the help that he needs then who amongst us really can?" I too hope it's not suicide however it just goes to show how someone who can bring so much joy and entertainment to the world can be silently suffering in their own personal hell and you'd never know it. Very very sad

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

psychobillycadillac wrote:My wife said something that really struck a chord with me last night, she said that "you know, if someone with his wealth and connections can't get the help that he needs then who amongst us really can?" I too hope it's not suicide however it just goes to show how someone who can bring so much joy and entertainment to the world can be silently suffering in their own personal hell and you'd never know it. Very very sad

Or looked at another way, not every problem is capable of being fixed or treated.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

RolanK wrote:Marc Maron - who did some excellent interviews with Patterson and Jason Isbell earlier this year - has re-posted his interview from a few years back with Williams on the WTF podcast. Heavy stuff.

I have always appreciated his talents, but was never a huge fan. This interview is probably my favorite thing I have ever heard him do. It is so real and unguarded. As far as suicide goes, it happens hundreds of times a day, and there are no parameters as to who is immune. (My job is primarily evaluating survivors of suicide attempts before they leave medical hospitals to see if they need forced psychiatric treatment)

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

This is a big favorite of mine. This show had quite a cast, so it's worth spending the minute and a half to get there:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

oilpiers wrote:
RolanK wrote:Marc Maron - who did some excellent interviews with Patterson and Jason Isbell earlier this year - has re-posted his interview from a few years back with Williams on the WTF podcast. Heavy stuff.

I have always appreciated his talents, but was never a huge fan. This interview is probably my favorite thing I have ever heard him do. It is so real and unguarded. As far as suicide goes, it happens hundreds of times a day, and there are no parameters as to who is immune. (My job is primarily evaluating survivors of suicide attempts before they leave medical hospitals to see if they need forced psychiatric treatment)

Indeed. I was listening through the whole thing while at work, and it was painful. RW came through in a completely new way for me (obviously in hindsight) and it was as if you suddenly realized what had been driving his characters and sense of humor all along.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

This is such sad news.
At the 2000 Bridge School Benefit, it rained a lot on Saturday. Robin Williams came out and did an unannounced set that resulted in what seemed like a laugh that kept growing and growing until it exploded. Everyone was laughing so hard we could barely stay in our seats.

RIP

http://gawker.com/conan-broke-the-news- ... socialflow
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

The brightest lights burn the shortest. Thank you Robin for bring so much laughter and joy to my life, and to the lives of countless others.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Bill in CT wrote:This is such sad news.
At the 2000 Bridge School Benefit, it rained a lot on Saturday. Robin Williams came out and did an unannounced set that resulted in what seemed like a laugh that kept growing and growing until it exploded. Everyone was laughing so hard we could barely stay in our seats.

RIP

http://gawker.com/conan-broke-the-news- ... socialflow

What a great memory to have. Thanks for sharing Bill.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Nice job Dave. That was really well done. Wonderful and tough to watch. Thanks for posting.

http://www.charlierose.com/watch/60431021

Charlie Rose did a remembrance episode last night. WIlliams had been a guest many times and it seems like he and Charlie were genuine friends.

In some of the excepts he's talking soberly about acting and his career, in others it seems like he has limited control over the fire hose of voices and improv that shoot out of him. He really was a uniquely talented man.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

RolanK wrote:
oilpiers wrote:

Indeed. I was listening through the whole thing while at work, and it was painful. RW came through in a completely new way for me (obviously in hindsight) and it was as if you suddenly realized what had been driving his characters and sense of humor all along.

listened to this yesterday..wow..
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming