First Vehicles?

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

First Vehicles?

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Well, besides a Little Indian motorcycle, a skateboard or a bicycle this was mine. Not sure why this is labeled "powerful car" as mine was a piece of shit that I drove until there was no other alternative than to take it to the salvage yard. What was yours?

1974 Ford Mustang II
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barely_Oakely

Re: First Vehicles?

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Damn near identical to that. I miss that truck badly...
My grandfather bought it new in 1990, and when he passed in 1999 my dad inherited it because my grandma had no use for a truck. When I got my permit in 2001 it became my primary vehicle. The paint flaked, the engine always smelled hot, it had a leak in the front gas tank, and the topper was one of those ugly old aluminum and fiberglass ones that rattled and had ranch scenes decalled on the windows. That straight six ran like a top though.
As a 16 year old kid, I hated it. I wanted a turbo'd rice rocket with silly graphics on it ala Fast and Furious. No girl wanted to go cruising in an old smelly truck. My dad sold it for 1500 bucks when I was 18 as an excuse for my mom to let him buy a new silverado - which I wasn't allowed to drive... A decade later, I wish like hell I'd bought it off him. I'm pretty sure I'd trade my Rav4 for that most days.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

1966 Biscayne. The picture is of an Impala, the fancier version of the same boat.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Ty Webb

Post by Ty Webb »

1978 Mercury Zephyr. Inherited from my great grandmother after she stopped driving. I got my license when I turned 16 in 1996 and drove this for the better part of a year before upgrading to a '92 S10.
I'm sleeping under strange, strange skies.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

This is just a photo I found on Google, but mine was pretty much identical to this:

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Fill it up with oil, check the gas.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Flea

Post by Flea »

'72 Mustang with a 357 Cleveland. Light blue close to this color. Oh how I regret totaling that beast.

Now it's dark.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Mine was a 1981 Dodge Diplomat, powder blue with a black leather roof, that I picked up for $300. It had a lousy carburetor, slick tires, a leak at the very top of the gas tank and a never-say-die slant 6 engine. The Diplomat was used as a cop car back then and my car had some traces of a cop car package...no inside door handles in the back seat. I scraped the bumper sticker that said, "Lefties Have Rights, Too" off of it shortly after I bought it. I don't think anything political was meant by it. Rather, it had been added by my long-ago neighbor, who owned the car several owners removed—he may have owned it new—and was a southpaw.

the 10 miles to a gallon/Ain't got no good intentions line always reminds me of this beast.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Y'all have cool ones, I'm going to put a stop to that:

Yep. Bet you're jealous.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

There she is. Not a stock photo but my actual car. A '79 Corolla four speed with a manual choke and no AC. It was basically a car with a lawnmower engine. The rubber around the stick shift was ripped so you could see straight down to the ground as you drove, just like Fred Flinstone's car. "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" was playing on the radio as she passed 100,00 miles. Note the Rolling Stones tongue air freshener hanging from the rear view. Pretty sure she also had U2, Darkness on the Edge of Town and "Eat Bertha's Mussels" bumper stickers on the back. First she was my dad's, then my brothers, and then I got her in about 1985 until we sold her in 1990 for $250. Lots of good times in that car. I remember seeing her drive by with her new owner while I was out for a run a few months after I sold her, and I was totally bummed out. For $250 I should've kept her.

Great thread, Kudzu.
If you don't run you rust

grapico

Post by grapico »

The Grey Ghost. The gas pedal was two seconds behind and it had an automatic glove box opener whenever it felt like opening. Mine was silver, and less flashy/trashy than the model below. Got about 2 MPG.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

'84 Renault Alliance

4-speed, AM Radio
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

'87 Nissan Sentra
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

95 Dodge Ram 4x4. Mine was pretty much identical to this one.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

1967 Chevy Impala Super Sport convertible. My uncle gave it to me in '74 when he bought a Caddy. Good times
Always go to the show

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

'86 GMC Jimmy, in blue/white was the first vehicle I had access to. I think my dad unofficially handed it down and kept it in his name. Didn't last long.

CLose to the pic but no sweet ass spoiler or sun roof.

First car I know I truly owned was an '84 Dodge Omni. $200 cash. No heat, bad exhaust and a hole in the floor that would suck fumes up into the vehicle. Almost passed out while driving in winter when it was too cold to crack the windows.

Beebs is not a ragey man

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

First car I bought with my own money was a 1990 Honda CRX (stick shift):

Thing got about 35 mpg in the city, 45+ on the highway
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer wrote:Image
'87 Nissan Sentra

That was my second car! Mine was a '90 in black but it looked just like that one.
If you don't run you rust

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

1986 Dodge Charger. $400. Ran like a champ. This isn't my photo, but it looked just like this, down to the paint coming off the bumper and being that yellow color underneath.

Eventually spray-painted it black with white racing stripes, a la "Melba Toast" Wooderson's car in Dazed and Confused, and put the Van Halen symbol on the hood. Yes, this was in 1996. I was/am awesome. :lol:
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

The plan was to buy my dad's black, stick shift Ford F150 on installments, but he was T-boned a month before my 17th birthday. So....I ended up driving a Chevy camper van for about a year or so. Having tinted windows and a comfy bed did not, in fact, help my dating prospects. It was however, a fine vehicle for pulling tubes before school senior year and this is one of the many reasons why I went to community college.
Not forever, just for now.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Except color was dark blue.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

1986 Dodge Omni. Don't know why, (I recall it was to go buy some ping-pong balls for beer pong) but I lent it to two girls who proceeded to drive it into flood waters downtown at college. When I got it back, I could see the high-water marks on the head-rests. What a disaster.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Almost exactly...
'76 Mustang II 4 cylinders of pure rage :twisted:

Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Also, my third car was that exact Omni above, same color and everything. Had a kind of rigged up system with a hooked over coat hanger that needed to be pulled up to shift gears. Real babe magnet.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

GW in IA wrote:Almost exactly...
'76 Mustang II 4 cylinders of pure rage :twisted:

It was obviously a different model Mustang that Jason sang about in "Outfit" as there damn sure weren't any babies made in the back of a Mustang II. Well, unless you were a contortionist. That drivetrain that ran down the middle of the backseat was a motherfucker.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

My beloved 2nd car I had in college. Got high and finger painted "Boogie Chillen" (John Lee Hooker song) in red fluorescent day glo paint on the driver side door. Left it with my girlfriend and went to visit friends out of state---she and her new boyfriend totaled it while I was gone. Unfortunately no one was injured. Still miss her. The car of course.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

This badboy was ugly,but it would fly! Nice backseat area too.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:It was obviously a different model Mustang that Jason sang about in "Outfit" as there damn sure weren't any babies made in the back of a Mustang II. Well, unless you were a contortionist. That drivetrain that ran down the middle of the backseat was a motherfucker.

I once had to make a really pretty girl ride in the back while my bass rode shotgun. The damn car was so small that the case wouldn't fit in the backseat or the trunk.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

But black. The town I grew up next to, Meyer (pop. ~25) had a Saab dealership. It was the family car when I was kid and was handed down to me when I was 14. I never drove it legally, as my mom wrecked it when I was 15.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring as a contender for oldest age to own their first car. I was around 25, possibly 26. It was a renault alliance. Maybe it looked like the one in zip's pic, but i really don't remember except that it was light blue. It started when I turned the key. I'm not exactly a car guy.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard