Live Music Tip

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Live Music Tip

Post by allisonsdc »

I heard that some of the smaller live music venues around town have started adding a line to tip the band. I haven't seen it personally, but I think it's a cool idea. Anyone come across this before?
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

beantownbubba

Re: Live Music Tip

Post by beantownbubba »

Never seen it. First reaction is that I don't care for it, but I guess it depends on the circumstances: Did you buy a ticket specifically to see the band, was there a cover charge, is there a sign or is it otherwise known that the band is playing for tips?

If this is in lieu of getting paid, it sucks. If it's an extra, and the bar/club isn't taking a share off the top (as they most likely are) and I haven't already paid for the music, I suppose I'd consider it.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't trust it. I would rather put some cash in the hands of a band member.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

LBRod wrote:Don't trust it. I would rather put some cash in the hands of a band member.

Absolutely.

I would've filled in something asinine and cliche like "play some Freebird" or "more cowbell" on that line as a "tip."

I despise tip-jars and added gratuity lines like the one illustrated above. It's basically panhandling.

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

I live in a city where I see panhandlers who sit on their ass all day and shake cups of change in the faces of passers by on the sidewalk. I wouldn't consider giving them a penny, but I think it's a completely different story when it comes to struggling musicians in new or unknown bands who, in many cases, don't earn enough at their gigs to cover their gas money to get from leg to leg on small regional tours. They are out touring because they are passionate about music, even though it usually ends up costing them money. I get the point about not trusting the tip line on a credit card slip, but I definitely don't consider a musician who accepts tips a panhandler.
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

allisonsdc wrote: but I definitely don't consider a musician who accepts tips a panhandler.

To some extent this might be a different use of the term. There is of course a long tradition of musicians playing on street corners, in subways, in parks, etc and "passing the hat" or having an open instrument case in front of them for tips. In my experience this is often called "panhandling" but it's obviously quite different than begging. OTOH, it's not clear to me what category asking for tips in an indoor venue falls into.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

beantownbubba wrote:In my experience this is often called "panhandling"

In mine "panhandling" is exclusively another term for begging. There is no exchange of performance or service for the cash.

Performing for money is "busking"
Beebs is not a ragey man

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Erdlivz wrote:
I despise tip-jars and added gratuity lines like the one illustrated above. It's basically panhandling.

I guess you have never worked a service industry job.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Beebs wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:In my experience this is often called "panhandling"

In mine "panhandling" is exclusively another term for begging. There is no exchange of performance or service for the cash.

Performing for money is "busking"

Yup, and if the person asking (or offering a wager) for a trick, it's called "hustling".'
I hold no ill will towards any type of "street" person, but I do have more respect for hustlers and buskers than just straight panhandling (although I do sympathize with some of them).
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

When I'm in line trying to get on the interstate in the mornings and a homeless person is standing on the ramp begging, I'll give them my lunch or a bottle of water or something. But never money. There but for the grace of God and all that.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

sactochris wrote:
Erdlivz wrote:

I guess you have never worked a service industry job.

Spent my whole career in the service industry. Gratuity is a huge part of my income. Never have thrown a tip jar out in any case.

Maybe a bad term used w panhandling. I'm not at all saying this for bands or as a whole. I just think tip jars are tacky and don't belong in most places. High end, fast food, whatever. Just my angle though.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

The tip-jar has gone too mainstream could be another way of saying it. They're everywhere. I'm not giving you a tip for a freaky fast sandwich. That's what you do. I wasn't seated and served.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Markalanbishop wrote:When I'm in line trying to get on the interstate in the mornings and a homeless person is standing on the ramp begging, I'll give them my lunch or a bottle of water or something. But never money. There but for the grace of God and all that.

I bought a homeless dude a six pack once. Figured it might make his day a little better.
Now it's dark.