college football 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Bill in CT

Re: college football 2014/2015/2016

Post by Bill in CT »

Four P5 teams have less than 2 losses on the season. Those are the four teams that are in the playoff. I see no reason for any handwringing this year.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Iowan wrote:This thing needs to go to 8 teams with P5 champions getting auto bids ASAP.
I agree with this.
I also have no problem with Washington. They won their conference in pretty impressive fashion and beat a very good Clo team to do it.
Clemson and OSU otoh.........

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

4sooner wrote:
Iowan wrote:This thing needs to go to 8 teams with P5 champions getting auto bids ASAP.
I agree with this.
I also have no problem with Washington. They won their conference in pretty impressive fashion and beat a very good Clo team to do it.
I don't mind Clemson being in.

Ohio State irks me, because it's now obvious that the committee doesn't give a flying fuck about any criteria other than getting helmet schools in via whatever argument they can use.

I think you guys were a VA Tech drive away from sneaking in.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

There's an argument that the best thing about college football is the traditional rivalries and that conferences promote and build up those rivalries. So now the conferences are unrecognizable and geographically absurd and winning one doesn't matter. That probably doesn't matter to those of you (I discount myself as a not nearly serious enough fan whose HS, college and grad school did not even have football teams) who grew up when those things mattered, but as kids grow up under this "system" things will change, for the worse imho.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:There's an argument that the best thing about college football is the traditional rivalries and that conferences promote and build up those rivalries. So now the conferences are unrecognizable and geographically absurd and winning one doesn't matter. That probably doesn't matter to those of you (I discount myself as a not nearly serious enough fan whose HS, college and grad school did not even have football teams) who grew up when those things mattered, but as kids grow up under this "system" things will change, for the worse imho.
This is why my pipe dream is the 72 largest schools breaking away and splitting into 8 9 team conferences based on geography, where the winners of each conference goes to a bowl and conference affiliation is set.

I'd give a nut to go back to the days of the Big 8, 10 team Big 10, create a Big East with Penn State, Southwest Conference, etc. You could basically realign in that fashion, and the collective bargaining would be an NFL style cash machine.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Iowan wrote:
4sooner wrote:
I agree with this.

Ohio State irks me, because it's now obvious that the committee doesn't give a flying fuck about any criteria other than getting helmet schools in via whatever argument they can use.

Totally agree.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

OkieinTexas wrote:
Iowan wrote:
4sooner wrote: I agree with this.

Totally agree.
I hope you guys beat the shit out of Auburn.

I hate Stoops, and have definitely rooted against OU in some bowl games, but I like your recent teams. I think Mayfield is a badass and I just find him to be an entertaining guy to watch.

That said, I'm rooting for every Big 12 school sans Baylor in the bowls. I'd prefer we kick them out and bring Houston or Colorado State into replace the rape enablers.

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

4sooner wrote:
I agree with this.
Who would you put in over Clemson? Clemson has the 7th rated SOS, 3rd rated strength of record, and I believe is the only team with top 15 offense and defense.
Yes, we could have lost to NC State. We also could have beat Pitt. We played some close games, but also beat 3 power 5 teams by over 45.
I think Ohio State or Penn State is a legitimate, tricky debate. I don't think Clemson-Penn State or Clemson-Oklahoma is tricky at all.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clemson was a one-loss conference champ. Hard to argue against them.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:and from the "what the fuck?" file

Wake Forest Radio Announcer Fired For Giving Game Prep Materials To Opponents
Wakey Leaks

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:and from the "what the fuck?" file

Wake Forest Radio Announcer Fired For Giving Game Prep Materials To Opponents
Wakey Leaks
I love that.

Seems like a total horse shit move on his part. I'm sure all 3 Wake Forest fans are devastated.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So now college football players are skipping bowl games so that they can "prepare for the draft." I read that as meaning "so they don't get hurt." Either way, I understand it, and add in the fact that at least as far as I know the players who have done this are scheduled to play in minor league bowls that don't mean shit. And teammates and coaches seem to be saying all the "right" supportive shit. I do wonder if the players might decide differently and if the coaches, teams and teammates might react differently if the team was in the final 4.

But seriously? :shock: I think it's great that players are looking out for themselves because it's been clear for a long time that their schools and coaches don't look out for them. But OTOH, how can you have a team sport where this goes on? The "old college try" and "win one for the Gipper" sound a lot different today than they did a few wks ago.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:So now college football players are skipping bowl games so that they can "prepare for the draft." I read that as meaning "so they don't get hurt." Either way, I understand it, and add in the fact that at least as far as I know the players who have done this are scheduled to play in minor league bowls that don't mean shit. And teammates and coaches seem to be saying all the "right" supportive shit. I do wonder if the players might decide differently and if the coaches, teams and teammates might react differently if the team was in the final 4.

But seriously? :shock: I think it's great that players are looking out for themselves because it's been clear for a long time that their schools and coaches don't look out for them. But OTOH, how can you have a team sport where this goes on? The "old college try" and "win one for the Gipper" sound a lot different today than they did a few wks ago.
It's just a matter of time before this mindset spreads to the regular season and the NFL.

If playoffs are the only thing that matters, why play at all post-elimination? There will be those who do it to get more tape of themselves out there, but this seems like more in a trend that keeps making the game increasingly boring.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Iowan wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:So now college football players are skipping bowl games so that they can "prepare for the draft." I read that as meaning "so they don't get hurt." Either way, I understand it, and add in the fact that at least as far as I know the players who have done this are scheduled to play in minor league bowls that don't mean shit. And teammates and coaches seem to be saying all the "right" supportive shit. I do wonder if the players might decide differently and if the coaches, teams and teammates might react differently if the team was in the final 4.

It's just a matter of time before this mindset spreads to the regular season and the NFL.

If playoffs are the only thing that matters, why play at all post-elimination? There will be those who do it to get more tape of themselves out there, but this seems like more in a trend that keeps making the game increasingly boring.
Hijacking this with some basketball stuff but, it pertains. Last week the Cavs played here in Memphis and sat their big three, James, Irving and Love. All three were healthy scratches. They got the night off strictly for rest...didn't even travel here. There were many people very pissed.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Hey Iowan (or anyone else who may care), what did you think about the Joe Mixon video? Hard to believe Stoops kept him after seeing that. Taking a lot of heat and justified.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

OkieinTexas wrote:Hey Iowan (or anyone else who may care), what did you think about the Joe Mixon video? Hard to believe Stoops kept him after seeing that. Taking a lot of heat and justified.
It's pretty bad. I don't think anything happens to Stoops, but I think Mixon's career is (deservedly) toast.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Iowan wrote:
OkieinTexas wrote:Hey Iowan (or anyone else who may care), what did you think about the Joe Mixon video? Hard to believe Stoops kept him after seeing that. Taking a lot of heat and justified.
It's pretty bad. I don't think anything happens to Stoops, but I think Mixon's career is (deservedly) toast.
First off, I couldn't believe they allowed mixon to stay in school back when it happened 2-1/2 years ago. the video is exactly what I expected. I think the person that looks worse than anyone in this is Pres Boren. This goes past Stoops. Of course he wanted to find a way to keep him. Just incredible that boren went along with it.
But the story gets even worse if possible. As it turns out, Dede Westbrook, our Heisman trophy finalist, was arrested twice for domestic abuse before the recruited him out of JUCO 2 years ago. He was not conviceted because the victim didn't appear in court but for them to say now they knew nothing about it just defies logic. the reporter that uncovered it did it from a simple google search. :shock:
Ive been a huge sooner fan all my life as I attended there-well I was enrolled there anyway- and most of my extended family graduated from there. An uncle of my played there in the mid 60š.
I let my season tickets go a few years ago and now I've just lost my enthusiasm for the football program and thereby most of bigtime college football.
I'm now a Div II fan. Go ATU! ;)

whatwouldcooleydo?

4sooner wrote:I let my season tickets go a few years ago and now I've just lost my enthusiasm for the football program and thereby most of bigtime college football.
At this point I don't know how anyone with a conscience and two working eyes can still have enthusiasm for big-time football of any level. Yes, most sports these days are corrupt and dirty and sleazy, but football seems to have all that in spades will adding a shit ton of off-field violence to the mix

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

4sooner wrote:
Iowan wrote:
First off, I couldn't believe they allowed mixon to stay in school back when it happened 2-1/2 years ago. the video is exactly what I expected. I think the person that looks worse than anyone in this is Pres Boren. This goes past Stoops. Of course he wanted to find a way to keep him. Just incredible that boren went along with it.
But the story gets even worse if possible. As it turns out, Dede Westbrook, our Heisman trophy finalist, was arrested twice for domestic abuse before the recruited him out of JUCO 2 years ago. He was not conviceted because the victim didn't appear in court but for them to say now they knew nothing about it just defies logic. the reporter that uncovered it did it from a simple google search. :shock:
Ive been a huge sooner fan all my life as I attended there-well I was enrolled there anyway- and most of my extended family graduated from there. An uncle of my played there in the mid 60š.
I let my season tickets go a few years ago and now I've just lost my enthusiasm for the football program and thereby most of bigtime college football.
I'm now a Div II fan. Go ATU! ;)
I bet I hate Boren more than you do. His running his mouth off for no good reason endangers my school's very existence in big time college sports.

From what I've heard, the Westbrook deal isn't anywhere near as bad as Mixon.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

4sooner wrote:I let my season tickets go a few years ago and now I've just lost my enthusiasm for the football program and thereby most of bigtime college football.
At this point I don't know how anyone with a conscience and two working eyes can still have enthusiasm for big-time football of any level. Yes, most sports these days are corrupt and dirty and sleazy, but football seems to have all that in spades will adding a shit ton of off-field violence to the mix
My two exit points are if Iowa State has a Baylor/Penn State kind of scandal, or the sports writers get their wet dream of 4x16 Superconferences and ISU is the one current P5 + Notre Dame school that doesn't get in.

If either of these things happens, I'm done.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Theres no video on Westbrook so we don't know anything about it. The thing that bothers me about it is that he was recruited right after Mixon broke that girls face. All the while the fan base was being told they were seriously digging into the history of each recruit through Exhaustive" background checks. really?
David Boren is from my hometown. My grandparents were at the hospital when he was born. One of my aunts and he were best friends and debate partners in high school. I've always had the utmost respect for him. I DO NOT hate the man. especially over college athletics. Heš probably been the most effective president in school history. That's what makes this situation so unbelievable to me. And incredibly disappointing.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

4sooner wrote:Theres no video on Westbrook so we don't know anything about it. The thing that bothers me about it is that he was recruited right after Mixon broke that girls face. All the while the fan base was being told they were seriously digging into the history of each recruit through Exhaustive" background checks. really?
David Boren is from my hometown. My grandparents were at the hospital when he was born. One of my aunts and he were best friends and debate partners in high school. I've always had the utmost respect for him. I DO NOT hate the man. especially over college athletics. Heš probably been the most effective president in school history. That's what makes this situation so unbelievable to me. And incredibly disappointing.
I had read, and I could be wrong, that the Westbrook situation was a long running toxic relationship in which the female had been violent towards him. Don't remember where I read that, but it wasn't coming from someone who would have a reason to be an apologist for Westbrook/OU.

Not that it excuses violence towards women, but I believe there's a point where it's rational and acceptable for a man to defend himself. Mixon obviously was nowhere near that point, and he should suffer the consequences.

Regardless, you're right in that's an absolutely tone deaf move for OU to recruit that guy knowing what they clearly knew about Mixon.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote:
My two exit points are if Iowa State has a Baylor/Penn State kind of scandal,
Oh yeah, trust me that'll do it. I still follow the program but not anything like before. For the most part I don't really care if they win games or lose them. It tarnished most of my football memories too. For me that scandal was a life changer.
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I still care a lot about the PSU football team. I can mentally separate the atrocities that happened THEN from what is happening NOW.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Clams wrote: It tarnished most of my football memories too. For me that scandal was a life changer.
too bad more fans don't feel the same as you

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:I still care a lot about the PSU football team. I can mentally separate the atrocities that happened THEN from what is happening NOW.
You're missing the point. Of course the players and coaches are different, but many of the problems that indirectly led to the scandal still pervade big time college football: the win at all costs attitude, the god complex of head coaches, players who get away crimes, the money that flows though the NCAA., etc. It should be just a football game, but it never is. For me now, all of that is a huge turn off.
If you don't run you rust

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:
Iowan wrote:
My two exit points are if Iowa State has a Baylor/Penn State kind of scandal,
Oh yeah, trust me that'll do it. I still follow the program but not anything like before. For the most part I don't really care if they win games or lose them. It tarnished most of my football memories too. For me that scandal was a life changer.
I would come back in time, assuming the culpable heads rolled, but I could never take joy in that past. It's like a whole era of great memories would be tainted forever. I suppose I'm preaching to the choir here.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:I still care a lot about the PSU football team. I can mentally separate the atrocities that happened THEN from what is happening NOW.
You're missing the point. Of course the players and coaches are different, but many of the problems that indirectly led to the scandal still pervade big time college football: the win at all costs attitude, the god complex of head coaches, players who get away crimes, the money that flows though the NCAA., etc. It should be just a football game, but it never is. For me now, all of that is a huge turn off.
I get all of that, and agree. But the players have almost nothing to do with that, and on Saturdays, I'm watching the players
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever