college football 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: college football 2014

Post by cortez the killer »

Sun's out, guns out.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

TW_2.0 wrote:Doesn't every hobby or interest fill a void ? Music ? Drinking ? Sports ?

We are easy targets to make fun of, but the few lunatics like Harvey Updyke are not the norm.

There seems to be far more examples of really poor or tacky behavior tied to the following of college sports in that region, and in particular, the University of Alabama. This is probably a result of an extremely high amount of societal importance placed upon it. How often do you hear of people committing crimes in fulfillment of their hobbies? The lunatics probably aren't the norm, but there's more of them when it comes to football in the South, and in particularly, the University of Alabama, than there are other places. Unless it's just media bias.

I'm not saying all Alabama fans are that way, but ones who poison trees, or assault people, or take family pictures that give the appearance of actually worshiping football are stacking the deck against the majority.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

TW_2.0 wrote:Doesn't every hobby or interest fill a void ? Music ? Drinking ? Sports ?

We are easy targets to make fun of, but the few lunatics like Harvey Updyke are not the norm.

It's exactly the same: Most people can drink in moderation or not drink but some drink to excess, either all the time or on wkends or whatever. College football fans (espy in the SEC) have their rooting interest, their passion, and in some cases, insane devotion that causes over the line behavior.

When I was growing up, at least as I remember it, a sudden passion for interior decorating particularly among women was considered code for "well you can bet they're not having sex anymore." Now I think football also sends the same signal, particularly among men (and no, I don't think it's 100% true but yeah, I think there's some truth to it, same as w/ interior decorating)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

I know there's a few Georgia fans around here. Can anyone suggest a good place to park Saturday? Getting there early won't be a problem, we will be trying to park around 8am. I read that some places are strict on loud music and drinking. I would like to avoid those places if at all possible.
I also would prefer to not be near the Frat row. The verbal back and forth was fine last time I was there as a student, in 2002, but I don't want to deal with that again.
Somewhere where it won't take me two hours to exit would be icing on the cake.
Thanks for any help. Feel free to add a prediction. I had been confident all summer, but I'm losing it. As good as our defense is, I think we will still need to score in the 30s and I don't believe our offense can do that yet. I think Uga wins about 28-21 or so.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brstigerfan wrote:I read that some places are strict on loud music and drinking.

They require that you play loud music and drink continuously? How do they enforce it and how much do you have to drink?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

This story about USC's Josh Shaw is absolutely amazing in it's stupidity. First he was a hero, then he was injured running from the law, then he was injured trying to sneak out of an apartment in the same building as his his girlfriend so she wouldn't catch him stepping out and now he's supposedly a hero again but wait five minutes and that might change. This is a captain on a top 25 program for the love of pete. Does anyone vett anything anymore?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:This story about USC's Josh Shaw is absolutely amazing in it's stupidity. First he was a hero, then he was injured running from the law, then he was injured trying to sneak out of an apartment in the same building as his his girlfriend so she wouldn't catch him stepping out and now he's supposedly a hero again but wait five minutes and that might change. This is a captain on a top 25 program for the love of pete. Does anyone vett anything anymore?

It is a classic example of why I fucking hate today's news cycle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Saturday @ 8:30am... Live from Dublin...

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

brstigerfan wrote:I know there's a few Georgia fans around here. Can anyone suggest a good place to park Saturday? Getting there early won't be a problem, we will be trying to park around 8am. I read that some places are strict on loud music and drinking. I would like to avoid those places if at all possible.
I also would prefer to not be near the Frat row. The verbal back and forth was fine last time I was there as a student, in 2002, but I don't want to deal with that again.
Thanks for any help. Feel free to add a prediction. I had been confident all summer, but I'm losing it. As good as our defense is, I think we will still need to score in the 30s and I don't believe our offense can do that yet. I think Uga wins about 28-21 or so.

I think UGA wins, but I really hope Dabo can pull it off somehow.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Geaux Tigers

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Have I mentioned that pre-season rankings are stupid? Because they're stupid
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Big 12 also rans still doing fine in SECSECSEC I see.

Don't worry, South Carolina wasn't overrated. The SEC is just that good. Better than the NfL. Sewing that patch on Aggy's jersey automatically made them better because SECSECSEC. Aggy will go to #1 and South Carolina will not drop in rank, because that's how the propaganda machine/ESPN rigging works. Put the whole SEC in the top 10. Claim league is tough when teams beat each other. Claim all other leagues are work when their teams beat each other. Profit.

Fuck ESPN and their garbage agenda. Go Boise.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

On the same token, god bless the SEC. Sports are less fun without something to passionately hate.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Wow. And it's still August.

Edit: In his first game, Hill breaks Manziel's passing yardage record. How long 'til we hear "it's not the QB, it's the system"? And how loud will the chorus be in certain parts of Ohio?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:Wow. And it's still August.

Edit: In his first game, Hill breaks Manziel's passing yardage record. How long 'til we hear "it's not the QB, it's the system"? And how loud will the chorus be in certain parts of Ohio?

Well, look at Sumlin's history. He always has huge numbers at that position. Kevin Sumlin is the true difference maker in the Aggy equation. Not Johnny Football, and not the the SECSECSEC. Hell of a coach.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan, I've never understood your SEC hate. I have no rooting interest whatsoever but after years of watching primarily Big 10 teams in the Midwest it's kind of fun to watch the SEC which typically is a better brand of football. When you have no interest in the outcome that's all you want really.

PS. I did watch Boise State-Ole Miss last night and Ole Miss in a win was not playing good football so it's not an absolute. Lord that was ugly.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I don't think many people hate the SEC teams, as such. They mostly hate the fans and the media fellating the conference every chance they can
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Iowan wrote:

Well, look at Sumlin's history. He always has huge numbers at that position. Kevin Sumlin is the true difference maker in the Aggy equation. Not Johnny Football, and not the the SECSECSEC. Hell of a coach.

Case Keenum concurs.
- DPM

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

brstigerfan wrote:I know there's a few Georgia fans around here. Can anyone suggest a good place to park Saturday? Getting there early won't be a problem, we will be trying to park around 8am. I read that some places are strict on loud music and drinking. I would like to avoid those places if at all possible.

I always park in East Campus. There are a few decks and there is a lot of open parking areas for tailgates and music and the such. It is easy to leave after the game and get right on the loop. There is a shuttle that takes you back and forth from the stadium or it is about a 10 min walk. You have to walk by two frat houses but they are over 100 yards back off the street and there will be no interaction from them because they are up a large hill. If you are planning on going to downtown Athens before the game it is a bit of a hike from east campus, about a 20-25 minute walk. I hope you enjoy everything tomorrow up until about 5:31pm :) GO DAWGS.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Iowan, I've never understood your SEC hate. I have no rooting interest whatsoever but after years of watching primarily Big 10 teams in the Midwest it's kind of fun to watch the SEC which typically is a better brand of football. When you have no interest in the outcome that's all you want really.

PS. I did watch Boise State-Ole Miss last night and Ole Miss in a win was not playing good football so it's not an absolute. Lord that was ugly.

Big ten panties easily wadded.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

cortez the killer

- DPM

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

ScottyC wrote:

I always park in East Campus. There are a few decks and there is a lot of open parking areas for tailgates and music and the such. It is easy to leave after the game and get right on the loop. There is a shuttle that takes you back and forth from the stadium or it is about a 10 min walk. You have to walk by two frat houses but they are over 100 yards back off the street and there will be no interaction from them because they are up a large hill. If you are planning on going to downtown Athens before the game it is a bit of a hike from east campus, about a 20-25 minute walk. I hope you enjoy everything tomorrow up until about 5:31pm :) GO DAWGS.

It went well ;)

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

ScottyC wrote:
ScottyC wrote:

It went well ;)

Nailed the 21 points for Clemson in my prediction!
Georgia's got some great tailbacks. Gurleys possibly the best player in the country, but those others played well too.
Except for the 4th quarter, I had a great weekend in Athens. Good gameday experience all the way around.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

It went well ;)[/quote]

Nailed the 21 points for Clemson in my prediction!
Georgia's got some great tailbacks. Gurleys possibly the best player in the country, but those others played well too.
Except for the 4th quarter, I had a great weekend in Athens. Good gameday experience all the way around.[/quote]

Is Gurley better than Hill of TA&M? I have A&M #1 followed by UGA and Auburn. Bama #4 in SEC???

Seeing Kiffin interact with Saban was priceless.

What chances do you give for CU to beat FSU? I wish Boyd was still there although new QB did OK in 1st half. UGA D was awesome in 2nd half. Their new DC from FSU and Bama is great.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:I don't think many people hate the SEC teams, as such. They mostly hate the fans and the media fellating the conference every chance they can

This.

I have no problem with any individual SEC school. It's the slurping, and the negative ramifications to the rest of college football because.

Oh yeah - is it basketball season yet? Starting to think Rhoads is completely fucking lost. After watching WVU and OSU take 1 and 2 to the wire, away from home, I have little hope for a win other than maybe Kansas. In the words of Rob Schneider "oh no! We suck again!"

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:
Iowan wrote:

Case Keenum concurs.

I think he might have worked with Kliff Kingsbury and all of Mike Leach's Playstation QBs when he was an assistant at Tech.

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

blackwll wrote:

Is Gurley better than Hill of TA&M? I have A&M #1 followed by UGA and Auburn. Bama #4 in SEC???

Seeing Kiffin interact with Saban was priceless.

What chances do you give for CU to beat FSU? I wish Boyd was still there although new QB did OK in 1st half. UGA D was awesome in 2nd half. Their new DC from FSU and Bama is great.

Yea, I would say Gurley is the best player over Hill, because I've seen Gurley over 2 seasons and a game, compared to one nice game from Hill. Maybe Hill will prove he's better over the course of the season, but Todd gurley is the best college football player right now as far as I am concerned.

I didn't get to see much of Florida State Saturday, but I would not give Clemson much of a chance. I'm not impressed enough with the running-backs or offensive line. I think Stoudt is ok at quarterback, but the true freshman Watson proved to me he deserves to be on the field more. There are just more things he can do than Cole Stoudt. He will be the starter by mid-season I think.