college football 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: college football 2014/2015/2016/2017

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:8 team playoff sounds A-OK with with me, would’ve loved to have seen UCF get a shot at the big boys this postseason.
you know that expanding to 8 teams would just mean that they can include 2 or 3 more SEC teams :roll:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:8 team playoff sounds A-OK with with me, would’ve loved to have seen UCF get a shot at the big boys this postseason.
you know that expanding to 8 teams would just mean that they can include 2 or 3 more SEC teams :roll:
Hey, if you could just add about 80 more teams maybe the Vols could get in :D
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

It's on, Cole!!
Sooner O vs Dawgs D should make for a great game.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Zip City wrote:I'm proud that PSU got picked for the Fiesta Bowl, but a match up against Washington isn't getting me very excited
I have the same feelings about Auburn's matchup. I would have preferred Miami, Penn State, Ohio State, USC, or Wisconsin over UCF.

If Auburn beats UCF, you don't get much credit because it's a game people think you should have won. But if you lose, it's a big headline.

As for playing in Atlanta, it's just an hour and a half away from campus. Auburn's last game was there and we open 2018 there against Washington---would have been nice to have a different location for a bowl rather than three straight games in Altanta.
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Boston College is in a bowl game against somebody, I don't even know who. The game is in Yankee Stadium. I will never understand these minor bowls - how do they make money? The stands are never full and I can't believe anyone but bettors watch on tv. And it's a pain for real fans - i assume they feel some obligation to be there and to be celebratory, but really? I guess it still means something to say you went to a bowl game, I just can't see why. Even the big bowls have lost something due to the playoffs and these minor bowls just don't seem to be worth the effort.

If Auburn had beaten Georgia would Ohio State have gotten in? It wouldn't seem to change anything for the committee except to make 'bama's loss look even "better". Is it the consensus that if Wisconsin had won the Big 10 championship they would have gotten in and 'bama would not have no matter who won the SEC game? Whatever happened to the PAC however many?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:Boston College is in a bowl game against somebody, I don't even know who. The game is in Yankee Stadium. I will never understand these minor bowls - how do they make money? The stands are never full and I can't believe anyone but bettors watch on tv. And it's a pain for real fans - i assume they feel some obligation to be there and to be celebratory, but really? I guess it still means something to say you went to a bowl game, I just can't see why. Even the big bowls have lost something due to the playoffs and these minor bowls just don't seem to be worth the effort.

If Auburn had beaten Georgia would Ohio State have gotten in? It wouldn't seem to change anything for the committee except to make 'bama's loss look even "better". Is it the consensus that if Wisconsin had won the Big 10 championship they would have gotten in and 'bama would not have no matter who won the SEC game? Whatever happened to the PAC however many?
They're playing Iowa. Actually, the minor bowls do relatively well on TV. That's how they make money. College football degenerates like myself will watch about any bowl game. I love watching weird college football matchups, and bowl games deliver those in spades. Most of the time, the players are absolutely busting their asses, unless it's a blue blood with a disappointing season.

I'm pretty stoked for our bowl game. It's not about prestige, it's about an excuse to go root for my Cyclones one more time in a really fun city (Memphis) and party with ISU fans for a couple of days. That's all a bowl game ever has been, really. A fun exhibition.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Good ol' ESPN.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:Image

Good ol' ESPN.
you're consistent, I'll give you that :lol:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Iowan wrote:Image

Good ol' ESPN.
you're consistent, I'll give you that :lol:
So are they.

Sterling Bigmouth

Every postseason I go in saying I don’t care about any of the bowl games, and invariably I end up watching at least 90% of them. They make for fun gambling experiences though, the best stories are always from guys who lost an inordinate amount of cash on some random MAC team scoring a garbage time touchdown against a 5-7 Big 10 team they allowed in because of academic qualifications (not that I would know anything about this).

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Dan Wetzel wants to eliminate conference championship games. He makes some good points.

"It’s not playoff expansion. It’s postseason reform. And it’s better."

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-make-col ... 44320.html
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

just saw this one:

The score of The Alabama-Auburn game was 26-14................................

Or, as Roy Moore calls it, age of consent

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

schlanky wrote:Dan Wetzel wants to eliminate conference championship games. He makes some good points.

"It’s not playoff expansion. It’s postseason reform. And it’s better."

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-make-col ... 44320.html
Hey, Iowan! 8 team playoff!! 8 team playoff!!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Wetzel nails it.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

4sooner wrote:It's on, Cole!!
Sooner O vs Dawgs D should make for a great game.
If Kirby and Uncle Mel didn't have so much time to prepare I would give y'all the nod. As it is I think it will be a good game either way. Of course I want to win but after winning the SEC and making the playoff in Kirby's second year anything else is just gravy. I said that as soon as the SECC was over.

I would say good luck but I would be less than honest. So I will just hope for a good game with no injuries and I will tip my hat to you if y'all win.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

schlanky wrote:Congrats, Cole. UGA earned it.

Hope we get a rematch of the rematch next year.
Thanks buddy. I hope so too.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Sterling, two questions for you.

How do you feel about Fulmer staging a palace coup and having himself installed as AD?

What are you feeling about the Pruitt hire?

I can give you my two cents on Pruitt as he was our DC for two years if it matters to you.

If you have addressed these subjects already I apologize. Otherwise I'll hang up and listen now.

Sterling Bigmouth

Cole Younger wrote:Sterling, two questions for you.

How do you feel about Fulmer staging a palace coup and having himself installed as AD?

I can give you my two cents on Pruitt as he was our DC for two years if it matters to you.

If you have addressed these subjects already I apologize. Otherwise I'll hang up and listen now.
1. I’m more than ok with Fulmer’s Game of Thrones-ian takeover, because it sounds like by doing so the influence of the Haslam family has been greatly decreased since it sounds like they were controlling John Currie and were the main supporters of Greg Schiano and Dave Doeren, and apparently made a last second push to hire Mel Tucker (who I would not have hated, but much prefer Pruitt). Fulmer is far from a perfect man, but I think has the best interests of UT in mind.

2. If you’d asked me a month ago I’d had been lukewarm on the hire, but that was back when we were having dreams of Dan Mullen, Mike Gundy, etc. At this point I’m more than ok with it, as he seems to be a steady hand with a solid background, and is at the very least a hell of a recruiter. I already love the additions to the staff (Tyson Helton, Kevin Sherrer, etc.), so I think he’s gonna be able to succeed at UT, assuming Saban doesn’t retire any time soon and allow Bama to swipe him away.

And definitely wanna hear your thoughts, since I’ve heard plenty from FSU and Bama fans, not so much from UGA.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Holy shit. Tennessee hired a coach?

I was wondering if that would ever happen.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Sterling, two questions for you.

1. I’m more than ok with Fulmer’s Game of Thrones-ian takeover, because it sounds like by doing so the influence of the Haslam family has been greatly decreased since it sounds like they were controlling John Currie and were the main supporters of Greg Schiano and Dave Doeren, and apparently made a last second push to hire Mel Tucker (who I would not have hated, but much prefer Pruitt). Fulmer is far from a perfect man, but I think has the best interests of UT in mind.

2. If you’d asked me a month ago I’d had been lukewarm on the hire, but that was back when we were having dreams of Dan Mullen, Mike Gundy, etc. At this point I’m more than ok with it, as he seems to be a steady hand with a solid background, and is at the very least a hell of a recruiter. I already love the additions to the staff (Tyson Helton, Kevin Sherrer, etc.), so I think he’s gonna be able to succeed at UT, assuming Saban doesn’t retire any time soon and allow Bama to swipe him away.

And definitely wanna hear your thoughts, since I’ve heard plenty from FSU and Bama fans, not so much from UGA.
Well first, I will refrain from getting too detailed on my opinion of Fulmer. I will just say that Johnny Majors' naming him Judas Brutus is perfect.

As for Pruitt, on the plus side the man is a very good football coach in terms of Xs and O's. When he came to Athens, our defense was in disarray after four years of Todd Grantham. Our secondary in particular was a complete mess. I was in Sanford Stadium with my buddy Mike for our games against South Carolina and LSU in 2013 which was Grantham's final season in Athens. He had those boys so mixed up that as the offense was about to snap the ball the entire secondary would be looking at the sideline with their arms spread and their palms in the air as if to say, "what do we do coach?". This happened nearly every play. Pruitt came in and turned them into a functional and sometimes even above average secondary in one year. By his second year they were a strength. Tackling improved overnight.

As you pointed out he is a ace recruiter. But more importantly, he can spot talent. Two of our current t starters in the secondary, DeAndre Baker and Dominic Sanders were three star recruits that Pruitt saw were actually better than their rankings. Sanders is currently tied for the school record for interceptions. Baker has had so few passes completed against him this season that it is in the single digits. So not only can the man recruit, he has a nose for diamonds in the rough. This will be important for y'all as he probably won't be able to attract a lot of top talent early on.

Now for the not so great stuff. Pruitt is nothing if not confrontational. He has an abrasive personality and is very vocal. To say he is hot head doesn't begin to do it justice. He clashed with our AD over our facilities and went off the reservation by embarrassing the man in the media over it. Now we were all cheering him on when he did it. Our AD is pretty unpopular and got lucky with the Kirby hire but it speaks to Pruitt's lack of judgement and his hot tempered nature.

He made life so unbearable for some of our defensive players that they transfered. I'm not talking about one or two guys. Now again, we were cheering him on because our thought was, if he demands more than what they had been giving, which had yielded less than stellar results, they needed to go if they didn't want to pick their game up. But again, the man is hard to deal with.

He also caused a major rift within our coaching staff in 2015. Not all of the details have been disclosed but the same version of events has been relayed by several of the coaches from that staff that I know it is accurate. There was a coach's meeting at Mark Richt 's house on the Sunday afternoon following g the Florida game (I think it was the Florida game). Pruitt called out our OC, Brian Schottenheimer (who was terrible) in front of the entire staff. When our running backs coach Thomas Brown tried to get Pruitt to calm down, Pruitt shoved him and a fist night nearly broke out in Richt 's house. Pruitt was asked to leave to calm things down. He also had the staff divided between hi self and his "Alabama boys" and the others. Linebackers coach Mike Eckler (who is a very good coach) was so miserable with Pruitt that after leaving UGA he said he just wanted to forget all about it.

Y'all are getting a very good Xs and O's defensive coach who is a strong recruiter and has a nose for hidden talent. But he is extremely hard to get along with, has a horrible temper, and has a very strong personality. As a DC I think that's mostly alright u see a guy like Saban who will keep him under wraps. I don't know that Pruitt is cut out to be a head coach. The managing of delicate situations in terms of dealing with people and the political side of the job don't suit him at all. And if Fulmer doesn't butt out and carries through on his promise (threat) to be "very involved in the football program" Pruitt is going to have a high speed come apart and it will not work. If Fulmer will butt out and let him run the program his way, maybe it will work. Also, their are problems particular to this job that I just don't know that Pruitt is suited to handle. This is a big job for a first time head coach and it is a mess right now. A guy like Pruitt may not be the right guy for this situation. Then again, he may be exactly the right guy.

A buddy of mine who is an Alabama fan told me this fwiw, "This does not worry me like it did when UGA hired Kirby."

I guess time will tell.

Sterling Bigmouth

I definitely get those points. I have a feeling he will end up like most Saban disciples, and will turn the entire program around (ex. Jimbo Fisher) or will flame out quickly and be lucky to make it 2-3 years (ex. Derek Dooley). The former would be fantastic, the latter slightly less so, but I could at least deal with it if we don’t let it linger too long like Butch.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:I definitely get those points. I have a feeling he will end up like most Saban disciples, and will turn the entire program around (ex. Jimbo Fisher) or will flame out quickly and be lucky to make it 2-3 years (ex. Derek Dooley). The former would be fantastic, the latter slightly less so, but I could at least deal with it if we don’t let it linger too long like Butch.
Yeah that makes sense. And I agree on Butch. That was allowed to play out too long. But he had this annoying ability to do just enough so I guess it was tough to pull the trigger until they did.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Well the inaugural early signing period has been good to UGA. Kirby and staff made a haul that just makes me shake my head.

I'm not a recruitnik but I keep up with it just enough to know what's going on. Recruiting is necessary of course but it seems like such a slimy business. And the age of social media has made it even worse as it has lots of other things. One of the more vile aspects of social media is the fading of the social contract most of us recognize most of the time. People are far more willing to forego their part in that social contract when engaging in social media. And that brings me to my point.

Cade Mays is a highschool kid who also happens to be a very talented and very big offensive tackle. He is from and attended highschool in Knoxville, Tenn. He chose to come to UGA. A group of Tennessee football fans have taken that as a personal affront. They have gone on social media trashing this kid and verbalizing their desire for him to tear up one of his knees when he plays in his first game at Neyland stadium. What is wrong with people?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Cole Younger wrote:What is wrong with people?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sterling Bigmouth

Speaking of idiots on social media, a nice flow chart to determine when you should tweet at recruits (spoiler: never).

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

End of 1.
So far so good.
Thank you Kirby for opting for that field goal attempt. I doubt the Sooners could've stopped you short.
Edit to add: your welcome Kirby smart. Riley just paid you back with a stupid ass squib kick. Here's 3 points.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

UGA making a game of it. Lot of man love for Baker in the booth. not that there's anything wrong with that. as long as Saban loses tonight, its all good.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Total choke job by OU. Georgia’s run game is something else.

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:Lot of man love for Baker in the booth.
surprised Fowler had anything left after jizzing all himself during the flyover/anthem :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clams

Post by Clams »

Wow. Bummer for OU but congrats to UGA. What a great game.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck