college football 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: college football 2014

Post by cortez the killer »

:lol:
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Even though its a hoax, it's completely believable to think he did any of those things.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

sorry for partying.

dime in the gutter

sporting news top 25. included notes about mother fucking lsu.

1. Oklahoma
2. Oregon
3. FSU
4. Alabama
5. Auburn
6. Stanford
7. Baylor
8. UCLA
9. Ohio State
10. South Carolina
11. LSU
12. Michigan State
13. Arizona State
14. Notre Dame
15. Georgia
16. USC
17. Nebraska
18. Texas A&M
19. Wisconsin
20. Ole Miss
21. Washington
22. Florida
23. Texas
24. North Carolina
25. UCF

11. LSU - Best possible scenario last season: LSU, already out of the SEC West Division race at the end of the regular season, gets some critical playing time for QB Anthony Jennings. The best thing for a young quarterback is a strong defense, and the Tigers will be significantly better defensively (and last year they were solid). And don’t forget freshman tailback Leonard Fournette, maybe the best at his position in high school since Adrian Peterson.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

dime in the gutter wrote:sporting news top 25. included notes about mother fucking lsu.

1. Oklahoma
2. Oregon
3. FSU
4. Alabama
5. Auburn
6. Stanford
7. Baylor
8. UCLA
9. Ohio State
10. South Carolina
11. LSU
12. Michigan State
13. Arizona State
14. Notre Dame
15. Georgia
16. USC
17. Nebraska
18. Texas A&M
19. Wisconsin
20. Ole Miss
21. Washington
22. Florida
23. Texas
24. North Carolina
25. UCF

11. LSU - Best possible scenario last season: LSU, already out of the SEC West Division race at the end of the regular season, gets some critical playing time for QB Anthony Jennings. The best thing for a young quarterback is a strong defense, and the Tigers will be significantly better defensively (and last year they were solid). And don’t forget freshman tailback Leonard Fournette, maybe the best at his position in high school since Adrian Peterson.

Not a horrible list. Glad to see OU/Big 12 getting some love. The cock stomping of 'Bama wasn't an accident. They've been playing good to great football between the Mississippi and the Rockies for ages, and ESPN's investment in a certain league hasn't changed that.

No disparagement to anyone else, but after 5 years of outright celebration on the Big 12's grave, and the national media (and folks like Zip; and if my spreadsheet is accurate, he was practically jacking it to Big 12 destruction back in '10 or '11) celebrating over the idea of Big 12 schools getting kicked to the curb, it's nice to see some recognition that the league is producing quality squads like usual. I've spewed a lot of anti-SEC shit over the past few years, but it's not about any particular beef I have with the folks of that region/league, and more a reaction to the onslaught of accolades from The World Wide Leader and the the gloating over the possibility of that which I hold dear being expelled.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Ummm, isn't it still May in the land of big-time football?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I guess it runs in the family :lol:

Jeremy Bernfeld for Only a Game on college athletes who will never make a professional dollar from their sport unable to make money from their own name and image in return for a $7K scholarship while the NCAA rakes in the big bucks:

http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2014/05/24/im ... ete-profit

dime in the gutter

not enough marquee players in the "boom" muschamp era to fill out the 2014 gator calendar?

cortez the killer

The new hardware.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

cortez the killer wrote:Image
The new hardware.

meh, bring back the crystal ball
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Ladies and gentlemen, your NCAA: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ent-broken

In brief, the head of the Big 12 thinks cheating is rampant in NCAA sports and is a good risk for those who care to indulge in it, yet he takes no responsibility for either the current state of affairs or for fixing it.

Worse, much worse, the guy is totally and completely clueless about the world he oversees, apparently understanding nothing about economics, sports, Title IX, morality or legality. This is the best a group of some of the biggest universities in the country can come up with?

My more detailed comments are posted in the comment thread below the article if you're interested.

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, your NCAA: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ent-broken

In brief, the head of the Big 12 thinks cheating is rampant in NCAA sports and is a good risk for those who care to indulge in it, yet he takes no responsibility for either the current state of affairs or for fixing it.

Why should the Big 12 commissioner take responsibility for or fix the problems of the SEC?
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, your NCAA: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ent-broken

Worse, much worse, the guy is totally and completely clueless about the world he oversees, apparently understanding nothing about economics, sports, Title IX, morality or legality. This is the best a group of some of the biggest universities in the country can come up with?

My more detailed comments are posted in the comment thread below the article if you're interested.

If you really think Bob fucking Bowlsby doesn't understand the world of college sports, I have some oceanfront property in Nebraska to sell you. The guy has built multiple universities into all-around athletic powerhouses (Stanford being the best example) and secured a massive payday for a conference that 4 years ago was left for dead by the national media.

This is just another statement from the head of a Power 5 conference laying out the case for why these universities should be free of the yoke of the NCAA and allowed to come above board and offer more benefits for players out in the open, instead of the shady back-room deals that run rampant today. When the Power 5 break away, it's going to clean up college sports, as the schools will be able to be up front about providing benefits. It's like buying your weed from some screw-ball dealer trying to secure tax-free income vs. going to a licensed dispensary.

Lastly, it's partially a shot at the SEC. Like Bob Stoops fired (and completely backed up on the field) last summer. College football is about rivalries, competition, and shit-talking your opponents. That's not going anywhere.

cortez the killer

Iowan wrote:

Lastly, it's partially a shot at the SEC.

As my above comment indicates, that's the lens through which I read the piece.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:

If you really think Bob fucking Bowlsby doesn't understand the world of college sports, I have some oceanfront property in Nebraska to sell you. The guy has built multiple universities into all-around athletic powerhouses (Stanford being the best example) and secured a massive payday for a conference that 4 years ago was left for dead by the national media.

This is just another statement from the head of a Power 5 conference laying out the case for why these universities should be free of the yoke of the NCAA and allowed to come above board and offer more benefits for players out in the open, instead of the shady back-room deals that run rampant today. When the Power 5 break away, it's going to clean up college sports, as the schools will be able to be up front about providing benefits. It's like buying your weed from some screw-ball dealer trying to secure tax-free income vs. going to a licensed dispensary.

Lastly, it's partially a shot at the SEC. Like Bob Stoops fired (and completely backed up on the field) last summer. College football is about rivalries, competition, and shit-talking your opponents. That's not going anywhere.

That's what happens when you do things quickly and summarily. In my initial comments on the espn site, I suggested that the guy probably was continuing in the great NCAA tradition of throwing up smoke and mirrors to continue to rip off athletes for the benefit of schools and conferences. If he wasn't, then he's incredibly ignorant.

I understand the shot at the SEC, Cortez, but if you think the problems are limited to one conference, Iowan has some oceanfront property to sell you. More generally, either you're part of the solution or you're part of the problem. I'd put him in the part of the problem category 'cause he's clearly not part of the solution.

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:I understand the shot at the SEC, Cortez, but if you think the problems are limited to one conference, Iowan has some oceanfront property to sell you. More generally, either you're part of the solution or you're part of the problem. I'd put him in the part of the problem category 'cause he's clearly not part of the solution.

I appreciate the black & white response, bubba. Isn't Iowa landlocked?
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I understand the shot at the SEC, Cortez, but if you think the problems are limited to one conference, Iowan has some oceanfront property to sell you. More generally, either you're part of the solution or you're part of the problem. I'd put him in the part of the problem category 'cause he's clearly not part of the solution.

I appreciate the black & white response, bubba. Isn't Iowa landlocked?

Yes, but the land is in Nebraska.

Oh. Wait.

cortez the killer

I'll give you a landlocked line in the sand will hold up much better than one on the coast.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:
Iowan wrote:

Lastly, it's partially a shot at the SEC.

As my above comment indicates, that's the lens through which I read the piece.

That was definitely a big part of it. But I read it as also more of the ground-laying for the major conferences to take further control of their affairs, in particular, paying players.

cortez the killer

Yeah, there's more to that piece than the thinly-veiled shot @ the SEC. Perhaps you should write something in the comments section.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:Yeah, there's more to that piece than the thinly-veiled shot @ the SEC. Perhaps you should write something in the comments section.

It's really the only way to legitimize my stance.

Then again, I hate the lay out of the ESPN comment section.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

cortez the killer

I guess there was no veil whatsoever. :lol:
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Very tough week off the field for Oklahoma and Texas. UT has two players charged with rape and OU has an incoming running back seemingly about to be charged with assault and battery of a female.
Cortez would certainly know more about this than I do but how do you keep players out of trouble during the summer?
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I think Chuck Strong's solution is just to slash and burn. He doesn't seem to have much tolerance for misbehavior.

cortez the killer

OkieinTexas wrote:Cortez would certainly know more about this than I do but how do you keep players out of trouble during the summer?

At the type of school I work at, we really have zero say in how the players live their lives in the off-season. It is not a scholarship school and it is a prestigious academic institution. I point out the latter to provide some understanding of the decision-making skills most of our players possess. Our kids aren't perfect, but most of them come from backgrounds where they have not been exposed to the hopelessness many of the troubled players we are discussing here have. Our student-athletes go home and are on their own pretty much all summer. We don't deal with nearly the number or type of headaches those at bigger, scholarship institutions do. At a place like Texas, the players are on campus all summer taking classes as well as attending workouts and meetings. Players on scholarship are essentially "owned" by the schools they attend. If they do not tow the line, as the situation at Texas shows, they can be dismissed from the team and lose their scholarship.

Whether or not Charlie Strong is a no-nonsense kind of guy (and all signs point to he is), he inherited a storied program that has become a shell of itself in recent years. I'm not there and have no true insight on the situation, but I can only imagine the number of bad eggs that currently populate the Longhorn roster. Anytime a new coach takes over a program that has slipped, the first order of business is to run off the dead weight. I'm guessing you'll see less dismissals at Texas once Charlie has a few recruiting seasons to bring in "his guys."
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:
OkieinTexas wrote:Cortez would certainly know more about this than I do but how do you keep players out of trouble during the summer?

At the type of school I work at, we really have zero say in how the players live their lives in the off-season. It is not a scholarship school and it is a prestigious academic institution. I point out the latter to provide some understanding of the decision-making skills most of our players possess. Our kids aren't perfect, but most of them come from backgrounds where they have not been exposed to the hopelessness many of the troubled players we are discussing here have. Our student-athletes go home and are on their own pretty much all summer. We don't deal with nearly the number or type of headaches those at bigger, scholarship institutions do. At a place like Texas, the players are on campus all summer taking classes as well as attending workouts and meetings. Players on scholarship are essentially "owned" by the schools they attend. If they do not tow the line, as the situation at Texas shows, they can be dismissed from the team and lose their scholarship.

Whether or not Charlie Strong is a no-nonsense kind of guy (and all signs point to he is), he inherited a storied program that has become a shell of itself in recent years. I'm not there and have no true insight on the situation, but I can only imagine the number of bad eggs that currently populate the Longhorn roster. Anytime a new coach takes over a program that has slipped, the first order of business is to run off the dead weight. I'm guessing you'll see less dismissals at Texas once Charlie has a few recruiting seasons to bring in "his guys."

Well said.

Looked at through the other end of the telescope, football factories don't recruit for "character" (whatever that is), academic ability, manners, ability to cope in the majority culture, ability to handle fame & coddling, likelihood of graduating or any number of other factors that might result in weeding out some of the best athletes and players. For whatever reasons (and they are hotly debated), a disproportionate number of high level athletes come from disadvantaged backgrounds where they grow up differently than your typical college student, often without the basic academic and social skills most of us take for granted and subject to the very influences that most of us here try awfully hard to protect our kids from. A certain number of them will inevitably be the "bad eggs" to which Cortez refers. And when those players do come to the big campus, they have a tremendous "support system" which is devoted almost entirely to keeping them eligible, not to helping them grow and develop in ways that might help them avoid the worst excesses.

The "system" that results in these kids finding themselves at UT and the 50 or so other schools that play at that level starts in middle school, maybe even earlier these days. It is rotten and hypocritical and based on misplaced priorities. What we're seeing is the inevitable by-product of that system - it seems that we accept a certain amount of "collateral damage" as long as enough kids hang around long enough to use up their eligibility. UT is no better and no worse than any of the other schools; it just seems like it's their turn in the spotlight.

cortez the killer

Bo's ready to go.
- DPM

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

cortez the killer wrote:Image
Bo's ready to go.

What a goober
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll