college football 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: college football 2014/2015/2016/2017

Post by Zip City »

This is going to be an all-SEC title game, isn't it? FUUUUUCCCKKKK
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Zip City wrote:This is going to be an all-SEC title game, isn't it? FUUUUUCCCKKKK
And on top of that, in Atlanta :roll:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

a potential all-SEC final that will be televised on ESPN?

Iowan, it was good to know you, sorry we never met

:lol: :lol: :lol:

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

4sooner wrote:Riley just paid you back with a stupid ass squib kick. Here's 3 points.
In almost every situation, I find the squib kick to be a foolish strategy. In that situation, it was straight up dumb. OU had control of the game, handed it back to Georgia and never recovered. It was an entertaining game to watch, but young Riley got exposed and OU gave that game away.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

RIP Iowan

Roll Damn Tide
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

I have to say a Georgia-Alabama title game is my absolute nightmare scenario, unless Florida can somehow butt their way in and make it a triple threat match. On the bright side, Jeremy Pruitt’s defense looked like a bunch of ass kickers tonight.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:On the bright side, Jeremy Pruitt’s defense looked like a bunch of ass kickers tonight.
On the not-so-bright-side, Kelly Bryant is a massive drop-off from Deshaun Watson.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Sterling Bigmouth

You aren’t wrong about that. I thought Watson did a great job his whole career of making Dabo look just a little bit better than he actually is.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

GO BULLDOGS!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Ehh, I have no issue with the results of the game. Georgia and Bama won fair and square. OU flat out choked in a couple of spots on special teams, and that was the difference. A great game between even matched opponents, and Georgia had just enough more discipline to zip it up, as well as better coaching down the stretch. Listening to Herbstreit made me want to puke though, and the I'm sure, just like last year, the bowl records will be discarded and all we'll hear about all off season is how the SEC is the greatest thing since sliced bread and the Big 12 is dog shit.

I wish we'd go to 8 with 5 auto bids so all of this inane arguing about who the best conference is would become irrelevant. UCF certainly deserved a chance and based off of head to head results could hang with all 4 of these teams. Create some objective standards that need to be achieved, and let the chips fall from there.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:
4sooner wrote:Riley just paid you back with a stupid ass squib kick. Here's 3 points.
In almost every situation, I find the squib kick to be a foolish strategy. In that situation, it was straight up dumb. OU had control of the game, handed it back to Georgia and never recovered. It was an entertaining game to watch, but young Riley got exposed and OU gave that game away.
Pretty succinct and accurate summary.

I'm probably the only person reading this thread who didn't know that Baker Mayfield is the first walk on to win the Heisman. That strikes me as a pretty incredible accomplishment and another victory for the luddites (i.e. those of us just a bit depressed and turned off by the corporatization of everything down to middle school recruits/rankings).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

GO DAWGS - Southern Football, the best in the land...

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:all we'll hear about all off season is how the SEC is the greatest thing since sliced bread and the Big 12 is dog shit

:lol: :lol: :lol:

national champions by conference in last 20 years

SEC- 10
ACC- 3 (doesn't include Miami in 2001, as they weren't in the ACC then)
Big 12- 2
Big 10- 2
PAC 12- 2
Big East-1

ETA: 2 championships in 20 years certainly isn't dog shit, but when the ACC has more in the same period, and the Big East has just one fewer, I don't see the "Big 12/Rodney Dangerfield" argument getting much traction.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The SEC has been the best conference over the past however many years, or at least been home to the best team more years than not.

But to listen to the Oklahoma/Georgia game, which went in to double OT, and saw an awful lot of plays where Oklahoma was eviscerating the Georgia D, you would think these teams were coming from 2 different levels of the game. Those teams were about as evenly matched athletically as you can get. The better team won, but they were the better team by a cunt hair.

You can acknowledge that the SEC has been the best conference without making it sound like everyone else is walking around shitting themselves. Of course, they do give the Big 10 quite a bit of respect compared to the other leagues.

whatwouldcooleydo?

something something protest too much ;) ;) ;)

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:This is going to be an all-SEC title game, isn't it? FUUUUUCCCKKKK
There are not words to sufficiently describe the joy this post brings me.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
There are not words to sufficiently describe the joy this post brings me.
I’m here to serve
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:Ehh, I have no issue with the results of the game. Georgia and Bama won fair and square. OU flat out choked in a couple of spots on special teams, and that was the difference. A great game between even matched opponents, and Georgia had just enough more discipline to zip it up, as well as better coaching down the stretch. Listening to Herbstreit made me want to puke though, and the I'm sure, just like last year, the bowl records will be discarded and all we'll hear about all off season is how the SEC is the greatest thing since sliced bread and the Big 12 is dog shit.

I wish we'd go to 8 with 5 auto bids so all of this inane arguing about who the best conference is would become irrelevant. UCF certainly deserved a chance and based off of head to head results could hang with all 4 of these teams. Create some objective standards that need to be achieved, and let the chips fall from there.
I don't know how many people will actually say that about the Big 12 but whoever does, who cares? A lot of people who talk about football don't have any more idea what they are talking about and they say stupid things. I have always thought the Big 12 was a pretty good conference and anybody who knows anything at all about college football has to respect Oklahoma as a program. I never cared about the narrative going into this that SEC offenses aren't that good and that's the reason the defenses look good. That's stupid. Especially so after last night. Oklahoma is a very good football team.

Baker Mayfield is the kind of guy who is a pleasure to beat. His antics just make him seem immature and like an attention whore. Good player but a weapons grade douche bag in my opinion. I loved Davin Bellamy yelling "Humble yourself!" At him post game.

I would rather listen to Keith Jackson eat macaroni through a straw for four hours than listen to Kirk Herbstriet's "analysis". He sucks. His "Baker" this and "Baker" that like they are drinking buddies was annoying.

The game was agonizing until the blocked field goal but I will look back on it as one of my greatest football memories. Hats off to Oklahoma.

What a season. What a team. One more time. Go Dawgs! GATA.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Congrats Cole. Your guys have one helluva squad. It was a great game. I'll be a big UGA fan Monday.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:
Iowan wrote:Ehh, I have no issue with the results of the game. Georgia and Bama won fair and square. OU flat out choked in a couple of spots on special teams, and that was the difference. A great game between even matched opponents, and Georgia had just enough more discipline to zip it up, as well as better coaching down the stretch. Listening to Herbstreit made me want to puke though, and the I'm sure, just like last year, the bowl records will be discarded and all we'll hear about all off season is how the SEC is the greatest thing since sliced bread and the Big 12 is dog shit.

I don't know how many people will actually say that about the Big 12 but whoever does, who cares? A lot of people who talk about football don't have any more idea what they are talking about and they say stupid things. I have always thought the Big 12 was a pretty good conference and anybody who knows anything at all about college football has to respect Oklahoma as a program. I never cared about the narrative going into this that SEC offenses aren't that good and that's the reason the defenses look good. That's stupid. Especially so after last night. Oklahoma is a very good football team.

Baker Mayfield is the kind of guy who is a pleasure to beat. His antics just make him seem immature and like an attention whore. Good player but a weapons grade douche bag in my opinion. I loved Davin Bellamy yelling "Humble yourself!" At him post game.

I would rather listen to Keith Jackson eat macaroni through a straw for four hours than listen to Kirk Herbstriet's "analysis". He sucks. His "Baker" this and "Baker" that like they are drinking buddies was annoying.

The game was agonizing until the blocked field goal but I will look back on it as one of my greatest football memories. Hats off to Oklahoma.

What a season. What a team. One more time. Go Dawgs! GATA.
I wouldn't care if these narratives didn't drive decision making, but they do. For example, in the NFL, what talking heads say doesn't make any ounce of difference. There are set, objective criteria to be achieved in order to have success and progress to the next levels. College football is easily the most subjectively determined popular sport in this country, and there's not really a good analog out there. The perceptions created by the media effect who gets to compete at the highest levels. The narratives driven by ESPN, et al can and have had a very tangible and negative effect on my school, so I'm naturally going to give a shit.

In the sports realm, I basically constantly have one eye over my shoulder worrying that the perception of the Big 12 will deny OU and Texas opportunities that they'd be afforded elsewhere, and everything goes nuclear, and ISU will just be completely fucked over, because that's usually what happens to Iowa State.

Really, I only care about this perception because the powers that be have forced it on me. 20 years ago, no one gave a shit about rooting for their conference (other than the SEC), and the 24/7 media cycle wasn't beating you over the head with their manufactured narratives to prop up the products they were invested in. You wanted the teams you played to get their butts kicked all the time and you wanted your team to win. When your status of being part of the game is constantly at jeopardy, it forces you to root for a certain outcome that you wouldn't naturally be invested in.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:College football is easily the most subjectively determined popular sport in this country, and there's not really a good analog out there. The perceptions created by the media effect who gets to compete at the highest levels.
This starts w/ the ridiculous pre-season and early season polls, which affect how voters view early seasons wins, losses and "upsets" so, e.g. #3 loses to #19 in week 1 and #3 tumbles to #12, but it turns out that #19 was actually really good and ends up at #5, but original #3 never recovers its accurate place in the rankings, solely because of that initial ranking for the #19 team.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

In the ratings system past I always rooted for the teams the Gators play to have winning seasons.
I'll have no problem rooting for Geogia next week.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Howlinwolf wrote:GO DAWGS - Southern Football, the best in the land...
My favorite reason people hate the south.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Swamp wrote:
Football is way down the list, just below beach music, South of the Border, and Goody’s Headache Powders. #1 on the list is Phyllis from Mulga

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote: I basically constantly have one eye over my shoulder worrying that the perception of the Big 12 will deny OU and Texas opportunities that they'd be afforded elsewhere
No offense, but I don't think it's the "perception" of the Big 12 that you need to worry about when it comes to OU and Texas being denied opportunity

Sterling Bigmouth

Almost think I’d rather see Bama win championship #38763 at this point than Georgia. Not sure I can handle the Dawgs having more reason to bark when they come back to Knoxville in 2019.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Iowan wrote: I basically constantly have one eye over my shoulder worrying that the perception of the Big 12 will deny OU and Texas opportunities that they'd be afforded elsewhere
No offense, but I don't think it's the "perception" of the Big 12 that you need to worry about when it comes to OU and Texas being denied opportunity
It's the league falling apart and ISU being left out. I think I've made that pretty clear.

If the perception is that the Big 12 is weak, and deserving UT and OU squads miss the playoffs as a result, all hell will break loose and ISU is in a precarious spot.

That's my entire point on why I care. It's because my school is at risk of getting shut out of major college sports as a result of it.
Last edited by Iowan on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
It's the league falling apart and ISU being left out. I think I've made that pretty clear.
That you have, that you have indeed

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Swamp wrote:
Lol. This x10.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Iowan wrote:College football is easily the most subjectively determined popular sport in this country, and there's not really a good analog out there. The perceptions created by the media effect who gets to compete at the highest levels.
This starts w/ the ridiculous pre-season and early season polls, which affect how voters view early seasons wins, losses and "upsets" so, e.g. #3 loses to #19 in week 1 and #3 tumbles to #12, but it turns out that #19 was actually really good and ends up at #5, but original #3 never recovers its accurate place in the rankings, solely because of that initial ranking for the #19 team.
Agree. Preseason rankings are stupid and pointless.