college football 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Bill in CT

Re: college football 2014/2015/2016/2017

Post by Bill in CT »

Iowan wrote:I'd say that at this point, ESPN's financial commitment to the SEC has lead to it's propping of the league. ESPN has a vested interest in SEC dominance, so they're going to drive that narrative as much as possible.
I am curious why you always attack ESPN for this but not CBS. Around here, CBS televises the SEC every single week. They seem to promote the SEC as much as NBC (tries to) promote Notre Dame.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Bill in CT wrote:
Iowan wrote:I'd say that at this point, ESPN's financial commitment to the SEC has lead to it's propping of the league. ESPN has a vested interest in SEC dominance, so they're going to drive that narrative as much as possible.
I am curious why you always attack ESPN for this but not CBS. Around here, CBS televises the SEC every single week. They seem to promote the SEC as much as NBC (tries to) promote Notre Dame.

Because CBS is just a carrier of the games. They don't have much influence on polling, ratings, or the College Football Playoff. Lazy fans don't go to CBS to get their perception of the game. Their only interest in college football is covering the SEC.

ESPN is a much larger player, that covers a much broader swath. CBS has never made this claim or tried to carry that torch.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

ESPN makes no secret about how they promote (or don't promote) sports based on their TV deals. When the NHL broke off their TV agreement with ESPN, ESPN basically stopped acknowledging that the sport exists.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:ESPN makes no secret about how they promote (or don't promote) sports based on their TV deals. When the NHL broke off their TV agreement with ESPN, ESPN basically stopped acknowledging that the sport exists.
And yet they hold themselves out as the "World Wide Leader" in sports.

I agree, they're basically a vehicle for promoting their interests. I just wish they'd be a little more transparent, and we'd see some viable alternative that provides a broader, more objective dissection of sports.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I really don't watch it that much. I watch replays of games this time of year to ease my college football dt's. And once the season starts I watch if our game is being shown there or if there is a particularly interesting game being shown. A lot of the second and third tier games end up there usually and I might watch while I'm waiting on another game to start or to see a player I've been hearing about on a team that's not on TV lot (Vanderbilt, Kentucky).

I can not stand Paul Finebaum. I hate his idiotic show with his pro wrestling promo callers screaming at each other.

I truly believe that Paul Finebaum being made the face of the SEC Network is ESPN's middle finger to Southern football fans. They minimized wins by SEC teams over BigWeCantCount teams and west coast teams for years. But after an SEC team won the NC every year for seven straight they were in a corner for something like the SEC Network. But they didn't have to like it. So we got Paul Finebaum. "We have to give you rednecks your own college football network? Well we are going to put the most unhinged among you front and center with this Jerry Springer of college football being the face of the network and his show getting a prime slot.
ESPN couldn't shove Southern football's cock further down its throat. From what I gather on ESPN, college football doesn't exist outside the South.

I think they push Finebaum because people outside the south like to watch his show to confirm their negative biases. It's good for ratings, apparently.

I totally get why you hate it, but I think that's precisely why they do it.
First point, agree. But only because they were put into a position where they almost had to. I don't want them to kiss our ass and I don't want them crap on us. That shouldn't be hard but apparently it is for them.

Second point, totally agree. And that's part of why I loathe him.

Final point, that was my point. That's precisely why they do it and screw them for it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I really don't watch it that much. I watch replays of games this time of year to ease my college football dt's. And once the season starts I watch if our game is being shown there or if there is a particularly interesting game being shown. A lot of the second and third tier games end up there usually and I might watch while I'm waiting on another game to start or to see a player I've been hearing about on a team that's not on TV lot (Vanderbilt, Kentucky).

I can not stand Paul Finebaum. I hate his idiotic show with his pro wrestling promo callers screaming at each other.

I truly believe that Paul Finebaum being made the face of the SEC Network is ESPN's middle finger to Southern football fans. They minimized wins by SEC teams over BigWeCantCount teams and west coast teams for years. But after an SEC team won the NC every year for seven straight they were in a corner for something like the SEC Network. But they didn't have to like it. So we got Paul Finebaum. "We have to give you rednecks your own college football network? Well we are going to put the most unhinged among you front and center with this Jerry Springer of college football being the face of the network and his show getting a prime slot.
This is a fascinating point of view. You, as a southern football fan, feel assailed by ESPN, while those of us up north feel like ESPN is kissing the SEC's ass at every turn.

I realize this is how people feel and I understand why. I remain convinced that Paul Finebaum is ESPN paying us back for having to do it.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:

I get the network and others like them as far as live sports go, whether it be watching "your team" (generic your and you throughout) when the game's not on a traditional national network, or a second level team that's of more interest to you than whatever else might be on, or nothing else might be on, or watching less popular sports because it's your sport or your school, etc etc. The part that is hard to understand FOR ME is watching replays of games in general and in particular games that were of no special import the first time, watching spring practice, etc.
Can't speak for anyone else but for me, that's how much of a college football fanatic I am. Until the season starts, that's what I have to help get me through.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:

This is a fascinating point of view. You, as a southern football fan, feel assailed by ESPN, while those of us up north feel like ESPN is kissing the SEC's ass at every turn.

I realize this is how people feel and I understand why. I remain convinced that Paul Finebaum is ESPN paying us back for having to do it.
Finebaum hosts the kind of meatball sports show that the average dumb fans eat up. See: Mike and Mad Dog in NYC. They pre-screen the calls and only put on the craziest people. It sells advertisements

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

The Ole Miss crap storm is fascinating. I hate to say it but I'm really enjoying it. Lol. Anybody who was paying any attention at all has know there was something dead up the creek for a long time where they were concerned. We all knew something was going on and Freeze was almost certainly dirty but I personally never really believed the ham fisted NCAA who, shall we say makes some odd choices when it comes to picking its battles, would ever do anything g about it. And they probably never would have. If not for Houston Nutt. God bless that man.

Freeze's piousness all this time while he was doing what he was doing makes this all the more enjoyable.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Maybe it’s because I follow a ton of UT-related accounts on Twitter, but is anyone else hearing Derek Dooley’s name being brought up for the Ole Miss job? I understand Ole Miss isn’t exactly what you would call a “desirable” job, but surely they can do way better than him, right?
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Maybe it’s because I follow a ton of UT-related accounts on Twitter, but is anyone else hearing Derek Dooley’s name being brought up for the Ole Miss job? I understand Ole Miss isn’t exactly what you would call a “desirable” job, but surely they can do way better than him, right?
You would think. I've never understood why Dooley is as highly thought of as he apparently still is. There was a time that some Georgia fans wanted him. I was never one of those Georgia fans.

Sterling Bigmouth

Cole Younger wrote:
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Maybe it’s because I follow a ton of UT-related accounts on Twitter, but is anyone else hearing Derek Dooley’s name being brought up for the Ole Miss job? I understand Ole Miss isn’t exactly what you would call a “desirable” job, but surely they can do way better than him, right?
You would think. I've never understood why Dooley is as highly thought of as he apparently still is. There was a time that some Georgia fans wanted him. I was never one of those Georgia fans.
Had he done well at a small time job like LA Tech before flopping at UT, I’d have possibly understood it between that, his connection to his dad, etc., but man, if you can’t cut it in the WAC I’m not sure coaching college football is for you.

Though it does sound like he’s become a pretty well-respected NFL coach, even if his main responsibility seems to be babysitting Dez Bryant.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:...but is anyone else hearing Derek Dooley’s name being brought up for the Ole Miss job?
The sadistic SOB in me wants to see Lane Kiffin go to Ole Miss. Wouldn't that be fun?
Let the outside air in

Sterling Bigmouth

schlanky wrote:
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:...but is anyone else hearing Derek Dooley’s name being brought up for the Ole Miss job?
The sadistic SOB in me wants to see Lane Kiffin go to Ole Miss. Wouldn't that be fun?
Maybe if I didn’t spend every day secretly wishing the Vols still had him instead of Butch Jones. The man has his obvious flaws, but he sure knew how to fire a fanbase up and I think he’d be a hell of a coach if he could ever keep his head on straight.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Sterling you and I don't know each other so I didn't ask because I didn't want to seem like I was being antagonistic but I was curious as to your opinion of Butch Jones.

I personally find the guy unbearable. Tennessee seemed to be ready to start climbing out of the hole they have been in since Fulmer's final days so I never understood the hire.

The guy just hits all the wrong buttons. I'm personally a fan of a fiery style of coaching. That was one of my issues with Mark Richt even when he was winning a lot. But Jones seems like he has no control of himself. He just screams a lot. For no apparent good reason. He also seems to throw his assistants and players under the bus. Tightening up an assistant is understandable but you don't do that in front of the players. I've seem him on the sideline, red in the face, screaming at assistants several times. That's a guy who has no control over his emotions and who is desperate to deflect whatever his shortcomings as a head coach are onto his assistants.

He also, and this may bug me more than anything about him, is a walking book of clichés. All coaches do it to some extent. The term coach speak was invented for a reason. But he takes it to a different level. I imagine him sitting around his office with a book of clichés and a highlighter.

Our game with y'all was a heartbreakerlast year but the worst part was watching him run out on our field and have "a moment".

Can't stand that guy. Kiffin is an arrogant little twerp who was given opportunities he hadn't earned because of his daddy. But at least he can coach offense. Still, seeing him at Ole Miss would make me laugh.

Sterling Bigmouth

I’ve been out on Butch since late 2015/early 2016. It’s quite obvious (in my opinion at least) that he’s the classic example of a guy who can succeed at a small football school (Central Michigan) or even a moderately big school (Cincinnati), but he’s clearly not cut out for the SEC. If he had been fired or took another job after 2016 I think I and the rest of the fanbase would hold him in much higher regard for getting the program relatively back on its feet, but last season was just sickening at times.

In regards to your opinions on his personality, there isn’t much to be said other than the fact you’re 100% right. I think he means well and I hate to trash him because he really does seem to be a good guy, but his personality is just grating as all get out. Underachieving is bad enough as it is, but when you’re simultaneously making the program look like a joke with the “Champions of Life” and “Five Star Hearts” comments, it’s just time to stop.

At the end of the day, Butch Jones isn’t the Vols’ worst coach ever, or even the worst of my lifetime, but if the goal is to win SEC or National Championships at some point, Jones is clearly NOT the answer.

Thanks for getting me riled up about college football, been way too peaceful of a summer :lol:

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:I’ve been out on Butch since late 2015/early 2016. It’s quite obvious (in my opinion at least) that he’s the classic example of a guy who can succeed at a small football school (Central Michigan) or even a moderately big school (Cincinnati), but he’s clearly not cut out for the SEC. If he had been fired or took another job after 2016 I think I and the rest of the fanbase would hold him in much higher regard for getting the program relatively back on its feet, but last season was just sickening at times.

In regards to your opinions on his personality, there isn’t much to be said other than the fact you’re 100% right. I think he means well and I hate to trash him because he really does seem to be a good guy, but his personality is just grating as all get out. Underachieving is bad enough as it is, but when you’re simultaneously making the program look like a joke with the “Champions of Life” and “Five Star Hearts” comments, it’s just time to stop.

At the end of the day, Butch Jones isn’t the Vols’ worst coach ever, or even the worst of my lifetime, but if the goal is to win SEC or National Championships at some point, Jones is clearly NOT the answer.

Thanks for getting me riled up about college football, been way too peaceful of a summer :lol:
Lol. Sorry. This is the time every year when I start to get antsy about the season starting. It's finally within reach.

The "champions of life" thing was a bridge too far. Even for him that was just bad.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:I’ve been out on Butch since late 2015/early 2016. It’s quite obvious (in my opinion at least) that he’s the classic example of a guy who can succeed at a small football school (Central Michigan) or even a moderately big school (Cincinnati), but he’s clearly not cut out for the SEC. If he had been fired or took another job after 2016 I think I and the rest of the fanbase would hold him in much higher regard for getting the program relatively back on its feet, but last season was just sickening at times.

Lol. Sorry. This is the time every year when I start to get antsy about the season starting. It's finally within reach.

The "champions of life" thing was a bridge too far. Even for him that was just bad.
I'm a Tennessean who doesn't really like the Vols and the "champions of life" nonsense had me giddy for weeks.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Cole Younger wrote:The Ole Miss crap storm is fascinating. I hate to say it but I'm really enjoying it. Lol. Anybody who was paying any attention at all has know there was something dead up the creek for a long time where they were concerned. We all knew something was going on and Freeze was almost certainly dirty but I personally never really believed the ham fisted NCAA who, shall we say makes some odd choices when it comes to picking its battles, would ever do anything g about it. And they probably never would have. If not for Houston Nutt. God bless that man.

Freeze's piousness all this time while he was doing what he was doing makes this all the more enjoyable.
South Alabama, a mid-sized mostly commuter school in Mobile, started a football team eight years ago. Beat Miss State on a missed extra point last year.
First game is at Ole Miss. Hoping for a repeat, as unlikely as it might be to happen. Go Jags!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

When I heard this morning that Ara Parseghian had died, I didn't even realize he was still alive yesterday
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Sterling Bigmouth

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:When I heard this morning that Ara Parseghian had died, I didn't even realize he was still alive yesterday
He definitely had one of those ancient college football vibes about him, didn’t he? You could’ve told me he came 3 years or 30 years after Knute Rockne and I’d have believed it.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I was in the same boat as both of you.
Last edited by Iowan on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Roll Tide!
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

cortez the killer wrote:Image
Roll Tide!
I 100% believe it

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Again, Saban is the worst thing to happen to college football in a long time. Particularly down here.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:Again, Saban is the worst thing to happen to college football in a long time. Particularly down here.
Unless you're a Bama fan

Clams

Post by Clams »

Saquon:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

He's gonna wreck shop this year

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Again, Saban is the worst thing to happen to college football in a long time. Particularly down here.
Unless you're a Bama fan
In the short term. When Saban hangs it up it is going to be a crap storm. I know they think the beat will just go on but it won't and they think they have a right to expect the kind of success they've had under him at this point.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:
Unless you're a Bama fan
In the short term. When Saban hangs it up it is going to be a crap storm. I know they think the beat will just go on but it won't and they think they have a right to expect the kind of success they've had under him at this point.
I don't understand your logic. Saban is the best coach in the game and has brought nearly unparalleled success to Alabama, but that's bad because eventually he won't be there?