college football 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: college football 2014/2015/2016/2017

Post by beantownbubba »

phungi wrote:gotta love Alabama and Notre Dame both losing end-of-the-season big games
'bama didn't just lose, they lost badly and were fading at the end. I would never spend the time to try to figure out NCAA committee politics but I don't see how this team can be in the running for a playoff spot. They're certainly not good enough to go in ahead of a team that beat them and I don't see how they have any claim to superiority over any other 1 loss team out there (if there are any, I don't even know, lol).

And wasn't Michigan supposed to be good this year? Whoever Ohio State was playing Saturday didn't look like a top 20, much less top 4, team to me.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
phungi wrote:gotta love Alabama and Notre Dame both losing end-of-the-season big games
'bama didn't just lose, they lost badly and were fading at the end. I would never spend the time to try to figure out NCAA committee politics but I don't see how this team can be in the running for a playoff spot. They're certainly not good enough to go in ahead of a team that beat them and I don't see how they have any claim to superiority over any other 1 loss team out there (if there are any, I don't even know, lol).

And wasn't Michigan supposed to be good this year? Whoever Ohio State was playing Saturday didn't look like a top 20, much less top 4, team to me.
Michigan lost pretty much their entire defense from 2016
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Matt Campbell got a 6 year extension and 67% raise. Think we keep him until Ohio State takes him back to the the Rust Belt.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

beantownbubba wrote:

So let's say:
Ohio St beats Wisconsin (not a guarantee, but definitely possible and perhaps likely)
Clemson beats Miami
Oklahoma beats TCU
Auburn beats Georgia or vice versa, does not matter because the winner of that game is in and the loser is definitely eliminated

That would more than likely have the rankings as:
1. Clemson (1 loss to Syracuse)
2. Oklahoma (1 loss to Iowa St)
3. Auburn / Georgia
4. ????

So for that 4th spot, do you put in a 2-loss Miami ? A 2-loss Ohio St ? A 2-loss Pac 12 champ ? A 1-loss Wisconsin who has not beat anyone in the Top 25 ?

Or, do you put in a 1-loss Bama team who's only loss was to the #3 team in the country ? And who pretty much ran through their schedule the rest of the season.

I agree, we looked terrible on Saturday, but under this scenario above or a few others out there that exist, who would you put ahead of us ? The only real option in my mind would be Ohio St, and they lost to IOWA (!!!) in a blowout, in addition to Oklahoma.

Grasping at straws here, I know, but I do think it's possible.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Forgot to post this a few weeks back but with PSU being in the news with this Schiano fiasco it triggered the memory:

was in DC two weeks ago. Walking down by the White House on Friday the 17th I passed a guy who I am almost 100% sure was Mike McQueary. He's a pretty distinct dude, and if this wasn't him I would be stunned. I was telling Clams in a text that he looked troubled or distraught, as if he were a guy trying to get away from people who were following him. Even in a crowd he and his behavior totally stood out. I was so convinced that it was him that I Googled him to see if he had any DC connection. I did find that his ex-wife and daughter live in VA
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I went to high school with McQueary

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

No offense to LBRod, but can we all agree that the only reason the committee has Fresno in the Top 25 is to justify their eventual inclusion of Bama?

For the record, I'd probably put Bama in if Clemson, Wisconsin, or Oklahoma lose.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Iowan wrote:No offense to LBRod, but can we all agree that the only reason the committee has Fresno in the Top 25 is to justify their eventual inclusion of Bama?

For the record, I'd probably put Bama in if Clemson, Wisconsin, or Oklahoma lose.
Don't worry, the Dogs will lose on the blue field. Am I bitter because the conference championship
game is in Boise after Fresno just beat them? Not at all.

The real point is that Tedford has righted the ship, and quickly. Hope he sticks around.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

LBRod wrote:
Iowan wrote:No offense to LBRod, but can we all agree that the only reason the committee has Fresno in the Top 25 is to justify their eventual inclusion of Bama?

Don't worry, the Dogs will lose on the blue field. Am I bitter because the conference championship
game is in Boise after Fresno just beat them? Not at all.

The real point is that Tedford has righted the ship, and quickly. Hope he sticks around.
There seems to be a realization in the industry that blue blood jobs can really suck.

Tedford has been through the ringer, and I'd think he'd see the value in sticking to a place where he's supported, appreciated, and is successful. I always enjoyed watching you guys in the Pat Hill days, and would enjoy seeing you stay relevant.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Iowan wrote:I'd think he'd see the value in sticking to a place where he's supported, appreciated, and is successful.
Like the Mayor?
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Nobody wants the Tennessee job lol

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

LBRod wrote:
Iowan wrote:I'd think he'd see the value in sticking to a place where he's supported, appreciated, and is successful.
Like the Mayor?
Yeah, I still don't get that one.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Zip City wrote:Nobody wants the Tennessee job lol
A possible scenario, more likely though that John Currie has fucked up at every turn of the coaching search. I get not being able to woo any of the A-list candidates, but missing out on Jeff Brohm (who is a damn fine coach) because of a miscommunication between you and your chancellor? Absolutely humiliating. Get these clowns out of here.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

BDuck81

Post by BDuck81 »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
A possible scenario, more likely though that John Currie has fucked up at every turn of the coaching search. I get not being able to woo any of the A-list candidates, but missing out on Jeff Brohm (who is a damn fine coach) because of a miscommunication between you and your chancellor? Absolutely humiliating. Get these clowns out of here.
Sterling, I'm a proud UT grad and a huge Vols fan. I noticed the Power T on your logo and wondered what you thought of this debacle. Currie is gone now, and hopefully they can find a coach that can revitalize the program.

I told a fellow DBT and UT fan that I can't stopping thinking about some of the lyrics from Gravity's Gone as this mess plays out.

The program in general:

"I'll meet you at the bottom if there really is one, they always told me when you hit it you'll know it. But I've been fallin so long, it's like gravity's gone, and I'm just floatin."

"What used to be is gone, and what ought to be ought not to be so hard."

On the Sunday uprising: "And don't ever let them make you feel like saying what you want is unbecoming. If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."

Sterling Bigmouth

BDuck81 wrote:
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Sterling, I'm a proud UT grad and a huge Vols fan. I noticed the Power T on your logo and wondered what you thought of this debacle. Currie is gone now, and hopefully they can find a coach that can revitalize the program.

I told a fellow DBT and UT fan that I can't stopping thinking about some of the lyrics from Gravity's Gone as this mess plays out.

The program in general:

"I'll meet you at the bottom if there really is one, they always told me when you hit it you'll know it. But I've been fallin so long, it's like gravity's gone, and I'm just floatin."

"What used to be is gone, and what ought to be ought not to be so hard."

On the Sunday uprising: "And don't ever let them make you feel like saying what you want is unbecoming. If you were supposed to watch your mouth all the time I doubt your eyes would be above it."
Well it certainly feels like we’re at the bottom, but at the end of the day I think this entire thing was necessary. I think more and more people are realizing now this has nothing to do with the fans who (rightfully, IMO) revolted against the Greg Schiano hire and more so an administration that has proved itself to be incompetent over the last decade.

Firing John Currie was the first step, as he was truly terrible at his job. However he, Beverly Davenport (chancellor), and even Joe DiPietro (president) are unfortunately puppets of Jimmy Haslam and his entire family. I’m hoping that by the end of this debacle, they’ll never be associated with our university ever again (and maybe Jimmy will be in jail as a result of the Pilot trial).

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

I just got a call from an 865 area code asking if I was looking for a job

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:the fans who (rightfully, IMO) revolted against the Greg Schiano hire
"Rightfully" because of the Penn State hearsay or because you don't believe he is worthy/qualified to be the head coach at Tennessee?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

John Currie ran Frank Martin out of Manhattan, Kansas and replaced him with fucking Bruce Weber.

I'm not sure in what universe Tennessee found him fit to run one of the largest ADs in the country, but it's made for one hell of a soap opera.

Sterling Bigmouth

cortez the killer wrote:
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:the fans who (rightfully, IMO) revolted against the Greg Schiano hire
"Rightfully" because of the Penn State hearsay or because you don't believe he is worthy/qualified to be the head coach at Tennessee?
I think at worst Schiano was a part of the Penn State coverup, and even still at best is a morally reprehensible person. While I don’t think he is qualified to coach at Tennessee as well, I was willing to accept even less qualified candidates (Jeff Brohm, Tee Martin, etc.) because of their potential or the fact they seemed to be decent people. I think the media has made much ado about nothing in regards to the fan outcry over Schiano, considering former players, local state representatives, and non-Haslam boosters voiced their disapproval as well.

Granted, Knoxville can be a bubble sometimes so I’m of course biased, but I that’s just how I personally feel.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Except Schiano's name never even came up during the exhaustive Sandusky investigation. The only "thing" on him is McQueary saying that Tom Bradley said that Schiano saw something (which both Schiano and Bradley denied). In other words, his ties to Sandusky are tenuous at best, which to my mind, doesn't make him a reprehensible person.

That aside, Schiano has been a head coach, both at college and in the NFL, so lol to saying that he isn't qualified to coach Tennessee

Sterling Bigmouth

Zip City wrote:Except Schiano's name never even came up during the exhaustive Sandusky investigation. The only "thing" on him is McQueary saying that Tom Bradley said that Schiano saw something (which both Schiano and Bradley denied). In other words, his ties to Sandusky are tenuous at best, which to my mind, doesn't make him a reprehensible person.

That aside, Schiano has been a head coach, both at college and in the NFL, so lol to saying that he isn't qualified to coach Tennessee
I would be a lot more likely to give him the benefit of the doubt regarding the PSU scandal if he didn’t seem to be despised by everyone he comes into contact with, or if ANY university was linked to him for a coaching job, but everyone other than OSU is staying away from him for good reason. And we could argue about the merit of his coaching career until the cows come home, but at the end of the day he’s possibly the least qualified candidate UT has interviewed thus far (Brohm is less experienced of course, but his career is trending in the right direction, whereas Schiano’s last head coaching stop was disastrous from the get go).

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

I pulled for Auburn last go round but I always pull for the east in the champianship unless it's Tenn. Even though the Tenn games were some of our best road trips but then again, we had to drive thruogh Georgia to get there.
Georgia by 16
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Sterling Bigmouth

Incredible game from Memphis & UCF if you don’t mind nonexistent defenses. I think Nebraska has a hell of a coach coming in Scott Frost. And Norvell has been linked to Arkansas potentially which I think would be a good fit.

Heart says Auburn wins the SEC since I despise Georgia, but it’s hard to beat a good team twice in the same season. Hope I’m wrong.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Congrats, Cole. UGA earned it.

Hope we get a rematch of the rematch next year.
Let the outside air in

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

We have a Memphis fan in here, right?

See you on the 30th.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm proud that PSU got picked for the Fiesta Bowl, but a match up against Washington isn't getting me very excited

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The Big 10 getting hosed will get us an 8 team playoff, right?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:The Big 10 getting hosed will get us an 8 team playoff, right?
In five years maybe

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

poor OSU. wahhhhh. what kind of name is urban for a motherf*cker anyway? :D

Sterling Bigmouth

8 team playoff sounds A-OK with with me, would’ve loved to have seen UCF get a shot at the big boys this postseason.