college football 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Sterling Bigmouth

Re: college football 2014/2015/2016/2017

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Just get him out of the SEC for all I care. I’m sick of his cronies getting hired and teams wondering why they aren’t any good while they keep making the same mistakes.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The SEC 's raging jealousy of Alabama is endlessly amusing
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:The SEC 's raging jealousy of Alabama is endlessly amusing
Now you know how college football fans in the south feel about Yankees who are college football fans. Because that is nothing if not amusing.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Now you know how college football fans in the south feel about Yankees who are college football fans. Because that is nothing if not amusing.
I don't get it. Do southerners think northerners are bad fans or something? Or don't deserve football?

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote: I don't get it.
Bingo. Neither do I, but I accept the reality.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Again, Saban is the worst thing to happen to college football in a long time. Particularly down here.
Unless you're a Bama fan
In the short term. When Saban hangs it up it is going to be a crap storm. I know they think the beat will just go on but it won't and they think they have a right to expect the kind of success they've had under him at this point.
I don't agree with that at all. Sure, there are the gumps out there that think this way. But all of my buddies know that we are in one of the greatest runs in college football history, if not THE greatest run. And we know it won't last forever - so trying to enjoy it while it's here.

Explain how he's ruined college football ?
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

I don't get how Saban has ruined football for anyone, much less Bama fans. Sports are supposed to be fun and entertaining, and if you are a Bama fan and can't appreciate it the historic run they are on, I honestly don't know why you are watching in the first place. As for fans of other teams in college football, myself included, all you can do is marvel at the run Bama has put together over the past several years and hope he retires or moves on soon.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
I don't get it. Do southerners think northerners are bad fans or something? Or don't deserve football?
I know you dont get it. And that's precisely what I'm talking about.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

rlipps wrote:I don't get how Saban has ruined football for anyone, much less Bama fans. Sports are supposed to be fun and entertaining, and if you are a Bama fan and can't appreciate it the historic run they are on, I honestly don't know why you are watching in the first place. As for fans of other teams in college football, myself included, all you can do is marvel at the run Bama has put together over the past several years and hope he retires or moves on soon.
When I posted that about Saban I never dreamed it would be this misunderstood.

I say that because now every fanbas down here sees the anamoly that is the run Alabama is on under Nick Saban and they think they have the right to expect same.

As for how it is bad for Alabama in the long run, for that very reason. They have become what Florida fans were in the 90s. Spoiled and entitled.

As for how you can't watch and just marvel at it, I really cat explain that to you if you did not grow up the fan of an SEC team with all of your family and most of your friends loving that same team. Going to the home games and away games when you could. Knowing about guys who played for your team when your dad was a kid. Etc etc. When one of our rivals goes on a run of great success, fun and entertaining are about the last two things it is.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

TW, your an Alabama fan, of course you don't agree with it.

Let me ask you this, did you go to school at Alabama? This is important.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:
that's helpful

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
I say that because now every fanbas down here sees the anamoly that is the run Alabama is on under Nick Saban and they think they have the right to expect same.
Idiot fans aren't unique to the SEC
As for how it is bad for Alabama in the long run, for that very reason. They have become what Florida fans were in the 90s. Spoiled and entitled.
And they've earned that right, just as Patriot fans have. It's annoying, but their teams are dominant and on long dynasties.
As for how you can't watch and just marvel at it, I really cat explain that to you if you did not grow up the fan of an SEC team with all of your family and most of your friends loving that same team. Going to the home games and away games when you could. Knowing about guys who played for your team when your dad was a kid. Etc etc. When one of our rivals goes on a run of great success, fun and entertaining are about the last two things it is.
Again, not unique to the SEC. I grew up 4 blocks off of Penn State's campus, in a town that lived and breathed college football year round. You are attributing things to the SEC that are not unique to the SEC

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:
that's helpful
Jeez, dude. Do you take everything everybody says completely literally? Did you really not see that I was responding to your snarky "endlessly amusing" comment with more snark?

As for the rest of it, I give up. Yoour comparison to Patriots fans is on the right track but doesn't really work. I wish you could spend some time around some Bammer fans. It is unique.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Bama fans sound like Nebraska fans. They still think it's 1997. Watching their old recruiting base dry up in the Big 10 (where they are way down the ladder for choice Ohio/PA talent) as they slide further into irrelevance pleases me greatly.

I think this kind of thing happens everywhere college football is a big deal, which (and I realize sports media doesn't like to acknowledge this) extends beyond the SEC footprint,

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:
Are you saying Northerners annoyance with the SEC is based in jealousy?

That's some what true, but there would be less of that feeling had the SEC been winning all the titles as the result of some kind objective measure of accomplishment, as opposed to receiving an automatic bid to the title game based on subjective perceptions. The playoff is remedying that to an extent, but of course there's still an insane amount of subjectivity in determining that field.

Of course, that's part of what makes FBS football so damn entertaining. Football is a game where objective factors determine the outcome, as opposed to sports like gymnastics where subjective judging determines the outcome. Yet the champion of FBS football is largely determined through an extremely subjective process that has historically been even more of a beauty pageant.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

If he coached anywhere but Bama, Florida, or Georgia I’d wish Saban would just win 1 or 2 more titles and finally retire. Not too hard to respect what he’s done while still hating his guts. I wouldn’t say he’s “ruined” college football or the SEC, but his existence has definitely hampered the growth of the conference (from a quality perspective, obviously not financially or marketing-wise). Feels like the SEC is in a sort of bind until he finally calls it quits and they get rid of the clowns running half the programs.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Cole Younger wrote:TW, your an Alabama fan, of course you don't agree with it.

I did.

Born and raised in Montgomery also. Auburn country.

And I know where you are going with the school question. I get the whole "sidewalk alum" thing, but I honestly don't know how it takes away from the legitimacy of the fan.

Sure, there are obnoxious and entitled Bama fans. But football fans in general can be pretty obnoxious and entitled. Winning or not. Just look at UGA fans. Every year is "their year" until it's not. Again. And they are some of the loudest and most obnoxious one's out there. This phenomenon did not begin with Saban or Bama.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

TW_2.0 wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:TW, your an Alabama fan, of course you don't agree with it.

I did.

Born and raised in Montgomery also. Auburn country.

And I know where you are going with the school question. I get the whole "sidewalk alum" thing, but I honestly don't know how it takes away from the legitimacy of the fan.

Sure, there are obnoxious and entitled Bama fans. But football fans in general can be pretty obnoxious and entitled. Winning or not. Just look at UGA fans. Every year is "their year" until it's not. Again. And they are some of the loudest and most obnoxious one's out there. This phenomenon did not begin with Saban or Bama.
Pfft. Whatever. I've been a Georgia fan my entire life. I love them no matter what. You are right that there are Georgia fans like that. But Alabama fans are pretty much regarded as the worst around the SEC whether they are winning or not. Claiming national titles that don't even exist from years and years ago. Back when there might be three or more different polls that all named a different champion. And Bama claims them. Lol.

As for sidewalk alumni, it doesn't make you less of a fan. But ive noticed that the really over the top obnoxious Alabama fans are the sidewalk variety. Most Alabama fans that I know that went to school there are usually very reasonable.

Also, never said this started with Saban or Alabama. In fact I said the opposite.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:If he coached anywhere but Bama, Florida, or Georgia I’d wish Saban would just win 1 or 2 more titles and finally retire. Not too hard to respect what he’s done while still hating his guts. I wouldn’t say he’s “ruined” college football or the SEC, but his existence has definitely hampered the growth of the conference (from a quality perspective, obviously not financially or marketing-wise). Feels like the SEC is in a sort of bind until he finally calls it quits and they get rid of the clowns running half the programs.
That's exactly what I mean. Btw, never said I didn't respect what he has done.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Are you saying Northerners annoyance with the SEC is based in jealousy?

That's some what true, but there would be less of that feeling had the SEC been winning all the titles as the result of some kind objective measure of accomplishment, as opposed to receiving an automatic bid to the title game based on subjective perceptions. The playoff is remedying that to an extent, but of course there's still an insane amount of subjectivity in determining that field.

Of course, that's part of what makes FBS football so damn entertaining. Football is a game where objective factors determine the outcome, as opposed to sports like gymnastics where subjective judging determines the outcome. Yet the champion of FBS football is largely determined through an extremely subjective process that has historically been even more of a beauty pageant.
Not really, Iowan. Mostly I was just meeting Zip's smugness with sarcasm. I know plenty of northern college football fans who love their football every bit as much as we do down here. I do think as a whole we are more psycho about it down here and a lot of that is because we didn't have pro football for a long time. Sometimes that being psycho about it makes it more fun. Sometimes not.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

most passionate fans i have ever witnessed were wiscy fans at lambeaux field last year. incredible.

sec fans are mostly just loud assholes. and i'm one.

on, wisconsin.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Goddam, when do the actual games start? Because I don't think I can take any more of yalls' preseason banter.
If you don't run you rust

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Clams wrote:Goddam, when do the actual games start? Because I don't think I can take any more of yalls' preseason banter.
Lol. Clams this is nothing, brother. I mean this is kids stuff. I wasn't going to say this but now I will, this is a really weird college football thread to me. I have been real active on a college football board for several years and it is expected that you are going to absolutely trash each others' teams, coaches, cheerleaders, mascots, fans, everything. And nobody is surprised when you don't act like you enjoy watching a conference rival succeed and hear their fanbase crow. They don't say, "What do you mean he is ruining college football?" Like they are surprised. They instead say things like, "Screw your team and the mule they rode in on.". Lol

Thing is, everybody knows it's just banter. Just trash talk. And it's rare that anybody takes it all that seriously or takes it to heart.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Nice start for my Wolverines today, an ass-whiping of the Gators despite throwing back to back pick-6s in the second quarter. Lost 16 or 17 starters from last years but these new guys can play. The defense looks really good and fast. Not sure we are good enough to beat Penn State and Wisconsin on the road or Ohio State anywhere, but we shall see.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

dime in the gutter wrote:most passionate fans i have ever witnessed were wiscy fans at lambeaux field last year. incredible.

sec fans are mostly just loud assholes. and i'm one.

on, wisconsin.
Fucking cheese heads.

Seriously though, Madison is wild on game days.

The Clones are 1-0. It was a great day on the plains of Central Iowa.

Clams

Post by Clams »

14 carries, 172 yards
3 receps, 54 yards
1 KR, 20 yards
2 TD's
I'm not up on all the good players in the NCAA this season but I'd have a hard time believing there's anyone better than Saquon Barkley. Every time he touches the ball it seems like a TD is possible. Smart kid too. Dude is phenominal.
Last edited by Clams on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:Image
14 carries, 172 yards
3 receps, 54 yards
1 KR, 20 yards
2 TD's
Don't love him returning kicks (it's an injury waiting to happen) but the kid is something special

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote: Don't love him returning kicks (it's an injury waiting to happen) but the kid is something special
Agree 100%. Was surprised by that especially given the big lead at the time.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Baker mayfield yesterday in Lincoln Rileys head coaching debut.
Played first half only. 19/20, 329 yds, 3 td's
Hope Ohio St plays next week like they did in first half of Indiana game. Doubt the Sooners can handle em for 4 quarters defensively but hey, that's why they play the game.
BOOMER