college football 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cole Younger

Re: college football 2014/2015/2016/2017

Post by Cole Younger »

4sooner wrote:Congrats Cole. Your guys have one helluva squad. It was a great game. I'll be a big UGA fan Monday.
Thanks buddy. Y'all have got a very good football team. And I think you have a very good young coach too. Best off luck next season.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Swamp wrote:
Howlinwolf wrote:GO DAWGS - Southern Football, the best in the land...
My favorite reason people hate the south.
Football is way down the list, just below beach music, South of the Border, and Goody’s Headache Powders. #1 on the list is Phyllis from Mulga
Phyllis from Mulga! :lol: "Paaaaaaaaaaaaawl. We shouldn't even have to play the games Paaaaaaaaaaaaawl! They should just hand us the trophy because we're Alabama."

South of the Border. Yuck!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Cole Younger wrote:
Swamp wrote: My favorite reason people hate the south.
Football is way down the list, just below beach music, South of the Border, and Goody’s Headache Powders. #1 on the list is Phyllis from Mulga
Phyllis from Mulga! :lol: "Paaaaaaaaaaaaawl. We shouldn't even have to play the games Paaaaaaaaaaaaawl! They should just hand us the trophy because we're Alabama."

South of the Border. Yuck!
Goo Goo Clusters and Cheerwine are in there somewhere as well
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Cole Younger wrote:South of the Border. Yuck!

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Iowan wrote:Ehh, I have no issue with the results of the game. Georgia and Bama won fair and square. OU flat out choked in a couple of spots on special teams, and that was the difference. A great game between even matched opponents, and Georgia had just enough more discipline to zip it up, as well as better coaching down the stretch. Listening to Herbstreit made me want to puke though, and the I'm sure, just like last year, the bowl records will be discarded and all we'll hear about all off season is how the SEC is the greatest thing since sliced bread and the Big 12 is dog shit.

I wish we'd go to 8 with 5 auto bids so all of this inane arguing about who the best conference is would become irrelevant. UCF certainly deserved a chance and based off of head to head results could hang with all 4 of these teams. Create some objective standards that need to be achieved, and let the chips fall from there.
I don't know how many people will actually say that about the Big 12 but whoever does, who cares? A lot of people who talk about football don't have any more idea what they are talking about and they say stupid things. I have always thought the Big 12 was a pretty good conference and anybody who knows anything at all about college football has to respect Oklahoma as a program. I never cared about the narrative going into this that SEC offenses aren't that good and that's the reason the defenses look good. That's stupid. Especially so after last night. Oklahoma is a very good football team.

Baker Mayfield is the kind of guy who is a pleasure to beat. His antics just make him seem immature and like an attention whore. Good player but a weapons grade douche bag in my opinion. I loved Davin Bellamy yelling "Humble yourself!" At him post game.

I would rather listen to Keith Jackson eat macaroni through a straw for four hours than listen to Kirk Herbstriet's "analysis". He sucks. His "Baker" this and "Baker" that like they are drinking buddies was annoying.

The game was agonizing until the blocked field goal but I will look back on it as one of my greatest football memories. Hats off to Oklahoma.

What a season. What a team. One more time. Go Dawgs! GATA.
I wouldn't care if these narratives didn't drive decision making, but they do. For example, in the NFL, what talking heads say doesn't make any ounce of difference. There are set, objective criteria to be achieved in order to have success and progress to the next levels. College football is easily the most subjectively determined popular sport in this country, and there's not really a good analog out there. The perceptions created by the media effect who gets to compete at the highest levels. The narratives driven by ESPN, et al can and have had a very tangible and negative effect on my school, so I'm naturally going to give a shit.

In the sports realm, I basically constantly have one eye over my shoulder worrying that the perception of the Big 12 will deny OU and Texas opportunities that they'd be afforded elsewhere, and everything goes nuclear, and ISU will just be completely fucked over, because that's usually what happens to Iowa State.

Really, I only care about this perception because the powers that be have forced it on me. 20 years ago, no one gave a shit about rooting for their conference (other than the SEC), and the 24/7 media cycle wasn't beating you over the head with their manufactured narratives to prop up the products they were invested in. You wanted the teams you played to get their butts kicked all the time and you wanted your team to win. When your status of being part of the game is constantly at jeopardy, it forces you to root for a certain outcome that you wouldn't naturally be invested in.
I get it. Believe me I do. I'm a life long Georgia fan. The talking heads love to take pot shots at us and we have even invented a term for a thing they do whenever we beat an opponent they have been hyping and saying we would get flattened by. We call it dawg grading. Before we play the media flavor of the month or one of their darling programs that they love, that team is the greatest thing since cheese grits. After we beat them, they suddenly aren't anything special. That's dawg grading. So believe me when I say that I understand how you feel about the talking heads and how their manufactured narratives and preferences carry undue weight.

That said, I hate the NFL game and do not want college football to become more like it.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Cole Younger wrote:South of the Border. Yuck!
That place and its 500 billboards gives me the creeps.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Getting REAL nervous...

Good luck Cole and other Georgia fans.

Roll Tide

I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

TW_2.0 wrote:Getting REAL nervous...

Roll Tide

And to you sir. I was surprised by how nervous I wasn't all day. Then I got in the truck to come home from work and the pregame show was on.

See you on the other side. Go Dawgs!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Go UGA. Is this even entertaining for Bama fans any more?

whatwouldcooleydo?

TW_2.0 wrote:Getting REAL nervous...

Roll Tide

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Yes, it is still important to Bama fans. Got to keep the former assistants in check. RTR!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

blackwll wrote:Yes, it is still important to Bama fans. Got to keep the former assistants in check. RTR!
Of course it's important, but I could see when you're that good for that long, and anything short of winning it all is a failure, that it loses a lot of the fun.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

It should hurt more than it does but honestly I'm kind of numb. Too many squandered opportunities to put it away in the third. Fun season, crappy ending. We will be back. Go Dawgs!

whatwouldcooleydo?

The Devil is obviously a better football coach than he is a fiddler

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

that young QB for Bama sure reminds me of Russell Wilson. bummed that UGA lost.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I went to bed at halftime (whoops)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Terrified of what that Bama QB is gonna do these next couple years. Bama might have a gem in him.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

That was quite a game w/ so many story lines the announcers couldn't keep up, lol. But what came thru the loudest to me was the number of key performances contributed by freshmen, true or otherwise. It's mind boggling that kids only a few months removed from high school can perform that well on that big a stage w/ that much pressure/stakes.

It also seemed like the days of major programs being able to stockpile talent are back (if they ever left). Players went down, others came in and play continued at more or less the same level. Beyond the obviously stellar play by the 'Bama QB & WR, I thought their freshman left tackle was the best example.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

beantownbubba wrote:That was quite a game w/ so many story lines the announcers couldn't keep up, lol. But what came thru the loudest to me was the number of key performances contributed by freshmen, true or otherwise. It's mind boggling that kids only a few months removed from high school can perform that well on that big a stage w/ that much pressure/stakes.

It also seemed like the days of major programs being able to stockpile talent are back (if they ever left). Players went down, others came in and play continued at more or less the same level. Beyond the obviously stellar play by the 'Bama QB & WR, I thought their freshman left tackle was the best example.
It was an excellent football game with (as you point out) a number of great story lines. I saw something on Twitter this morning where Chris Brown of the excellent SmartFootball pointed out that it was both odd and thrilling to see 'Bama fall behind and have to play frenetic football to claw their way back into the game rather than slowly and methodically gutting their opponent.

The stockpiling of talent is an interesting issue. Back in the Bear Bryant days, The Tide could certainly stockpile talent. Until Title IX took hold in the early 70s, schools were permitted to award unlimited scholarships. In the 1973, they were "limited" to 105 and then further restricted in 1978 to 95. Starting in 1992, FBS programs today are capped at 85 full scholarships. However, with advances in technology, scouting and the advent of social media, far fewer elite talent slips through the cracks. Alabama has certainly established itself as a national powerhouse in college football and has the ability to attract a disproportionate number of elite five-star recruits from across the country. And with a freshaman QB from Hawai'i, OT from Florida, RB from California, and WR from Louisiana all making major impacts in a national championship game, you see that ability to recruit elite, ready-to-contribute-immediately talent on full display.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Terrified of what that Bama QB is gonna do these next couple years. Bama might have a gem in him.
I remember Garret Gilbert nearly leading Texas to victory over Bama at the start of this run after Colt McCoy got knocked out early on. He went on to achieve such illustrious accomplishments as first ever loss in school history to us, and first Big 12 era loss to Baylor. I think he ended up transferring to SMU or a smaller school.

In my completely hack opinion, as long as the guy is reasonably capable, switching QBs unexpectedly, and especially without film, is the most effective single game Hail Mary coaching move in football. Maybe this kid is that much better than the guys that came before him, but the fact that Georgia was completely unprepared to play him was a big, big part in last night's victory.

I'm really tired of Saban, because I find the same thing happening over and over to be simply uninteresting, but it's hard not to respect him. He's the college GOAT/Belichik equivalent.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Yep. It's still entertaining.

RTR

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

TW_2.0 wrote:Yep. It's still entertaining.

RTR
Being an Alabama fan is like the complete opposite of being an Iowa State/Viking fan. They find new and creative ways to win games, as opposed to the inverse.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Iowan wrote: In my completely hack opinion, as long as the guy is reasonably capable, switching QBs unexpectedly, and especially without film, is the most effective single game Hail Mary coaching move in football. Maybe this kid is that much better than the guys that came before him, but the fact that Georgia was completely unprepared to play him was a big, big part in last night's victory.
This, though it still took some balls by Saban to make the move.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

LBRod wrote:
Iowan wrote: In my completely hack opinion, as long as the guy is reasonably capable, switching QBs unexpectedly, and especially without film, is the most effective single game Hail Mary coaching move in football. Maybe this kid is that much better than the guys that came before him, but the fact that Georgia was completely unprepared to play him was a big, big part in last night's victory.
This, though it still took some balls by Saban to make the move.
Absolutely. It was a desperate, only-going-to-work-for-a-game kind of thing, but Saban sat on that card until he needed it. Like the master card shark that he is.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Iowan wrote:
TW_2.0 wrote:Yep. It's still entertaining.

RTR
Being an Alabama fan is like the complete opposite of being an Iowa State/Viking fan. They find new and creative ways to win games, as opposed to the inverse.
Ha. True. But this has not always been the case. we had some dark days in the 80s and from about '95 - 2007

And, I am a Vikings fan, too (the wife). So I can sympathize.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

TW_2.0 wrote:And, I am a Vikings fan, too (the wife). So I can sympathize.
Well, this has been a fun 6 days of football in my house, between Bama and the Vikes.

Nerve-wracking but really fun.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Well it seems Paul Finebaum is in a stare down with ESPN. He has told them he will not attend media days unless he gets a new contract.

I really hope this blows up in his face. I can not stand that guy or his show.

To Mr. Firebomb I say this; threaten ESPN if you want to, Paul. But you work for a company that is losing money hand over fist which is owned by another company that doesn't really understand college football culture and always has one thing in the front of their minds, "who can we get who will do it cheeper?"

i think F bomb loses.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:Well it seems Paul Finebaum is in a stare down with ESPN. He has told them he will not attend media days unless he gets a new contract.

To Mr. Firebomb I say this; threaten ESPN if you want to, Paul. But you work for a company that is losing money hand over fist which is owned by another company that doesn't really understand college football culture and always has one thing in the front of their minds, "who can we get who will do it cheeper?"

i think F bomb loses.
How much money does it take to open the phone lines for 4 hours and have redneck Alabama fans shriek on air?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

To the surprise of no one here, I'm absolutely rooting to see Finebaum go down in flames.

I'm also at an unheard of level of excitement for football season. Ready for this guy to do his thing:

David Montgomery is the best player in college football that you've never heard of.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Well it seems Paul Finebaum is in a stare down with ESPN. He has told them he will not attend media days unless he gets a new contract.

i think F bomb loses.
How much money does it take to open the phone lines for 4 hours and have redneck Alabama fans shriek on air?
I don't know but he wants more.