college football 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

rlipps

Re: college football 2014/2015/2016/2017

Post by rlipps »

beantownbubba wrote:
rlipps wrote:UK lost the turnover battle 4-0 ... and still managed to win
Isn't that mathematically impossible? :D :shock:
Close, lol:

Tennessee gained 400+ yds. Didn't turn it over. Kentucky turned it over 4 times. Doesn't matter, Tennessee still lost.

First time in at least 2 decades an SEC team has lost when gaining 400+ and having 4+ fewer TOs than opponent.

— Peter Edmiston (@peteredmiston) October 29, 2017

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

rlipps wrote:If anyone needs any more proof that Butch Jones needs out at UT...
Maybe a homecoming loss to a C-USA team is just what the doctor ordered?
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Headed down to T-Town on Friday.
Hoping to avoid a letdown after the bye week.
Roll Tide, dime.

I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The committee actually didn't do a horrible job.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Looks like Butch Jones and staff knowingly played a concussed lineman the entire second half against UK Saturday night. At this point, it's like he's trying to make them fire him.

https://thereadoptional.com/source-butc ... 97e5b70938

Sterling Bigmouth

I can’t even call UT’s handling of Butch Jones a comedy of errors anymore, because that would imply there’s much humor left to be found.

Honestly wasn’t a fan of the first playoff poll. Alabama and Georgia I get, Notre Dame less so but at least their one loss is to the #1 team in the nation, but Clemson baffles me. I figured that Syracuse loss would be a killer.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:I can’t even call UT’s handling of Butch Jones a comedy of errors anymore, because that would imply there’s much humor left to be found.

Honestly wasn’t a fan of the first playoff poll. Alabama and Georgia I get, Notre Dame less so but at least their one loss is to the #1 team in the nation, but Clemson baffles me. I figured that Syracuse loss would be a killer.
I'm with you on Clemson. It seems as though too much of an emphasis on their success the past two years was taken into account when ranking them #4. With that said, if both Ohio State and Oklahoma win out in style I believe that one of them will leap Clemson. I believe it will actually be Oklahoma, since they beat Ohio State head-head and their only loss came against an Iowa State team which looks to be pretty sound.

Full disclosure. I'm a life-long, die-hard Notre Dame homer, so please forgive me. But I don't see how you could take issue with ND being in the top 4 at this time. Other than a point loss to Georgia in a game that could have gone either way, they are absolutely crushing teams with a strength of schedule that currently is 7th in the nation, and will finish even higher on the heels of road games at both Miami and Stanford. They have a stout defense against both the run and pass. Josh Adams could and should be a dark horse candidate for Heisman consideration. And while Brandon Wimbush and his young wide receiving are competent enough to move the chains and score.
I believe given their strength of schedule. Their absolute domination and style points achieved in all of their strong opponents other than Georgia, I'd find it hard to make a case for any of the other 1 loss teams over them.

Just of curiosity and civil debate, what teams would you rank above Notre Dame at this time? You obviously watch a lot of college football so I'm interested to hear how you see it.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

ND deserves their rank.

Clemson doesn't. But there's a lot of ball to play.

I'm rooting for the Big 10 to get left out. We won't go to 8 until they or the SEC get left out

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Iowan wrote:ND deserves their rank.

I'm rooting for the Big 10 to get left out. We won't go to 8 until they or the SEC get left out
I'm in favor of 8 as well. It doesn't ever need to be 16. 8 teams is perfect. I traditionally cheer for the Big Ten over the Big 12, SEC, and Pac 12, because they are both more local to me and do a better job selling the concept that their players are student/athletes. :lol: I don't cheer for Urban Meyer lead teams though. The man has been a penis for a long time running. I believe that there is a good chance that the Big Ten does get left out this year.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

8 makes perfect sense. 5 P5 champs get an auto bid, and then let your controversy/beauty pageant/"eye test" focus on those last 3 spots that will belong to teams that weren't capable of winning their fucking conference or play no one through the season.

It has an objective component and subjective component.

My pipe dream is that you'd eventually see the 72 largest schools form their own division and geographically realign into 8 9 team conferences that were geographically based. You would try to stay as true to pre 2000 conference affiliation as possible (old Pac, Big 8, SWC, SEC, Big East, ACC, etc).

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

TW_2.0 wrote:Headed down to T-Town on Friday.
Hoping to avoid a letdown after the bye week.
Roll Tide, dime.

Have we ever confirmed if this is dime? Seems like a member of the "old and high" demographic.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cubfan06 wrote:

I'm in favor of 8 as well. It doesn't ever need to be 16. 8 teams is perfect. I traditionally cheer for the Big Ten over the Big 12, SEC, and Pac 12, because they are both more local to me and do a better job selling the concept that their players are student/athletes. :lol: I don't cheer for Urban Meyer lead teams though. The man has been a penis for a long time running. I believe that there is a good chance that the Big Ten does get left out this year.
Zero chance Ohio State gets left out if they win out
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:

Zero chance Ohio State gets left out if they win out
If Clemson, OU, and Notre Dame win out, I don't see how Ohio State jumps any of them.

Wait, what am I saying? Ohio State would be in consideration at 0-12

Sterling Bigmouth

Cubfan06 wrote:
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:I can’t even call UT’s handling of Butch Jones a comedy of errors anymore, because that would imply there’s much humor left to be found.

I'm with you on Clemson. It seems as though too much of an emphasis on their success the past two years was taken into account when ranking them #4. With that said, if both Ohio State and Oklahoma win out in style I believe that one of them will leap Clemson. I believe it will actually be Oklahoma, since they beat Ohio State head-head and their only loss came against an Iowa State team which looks to be pretty sound.

Full disclosure. I'm a life-long, die-hard Notre Dame homer, so please forgive me. But I don't see how you could take issue with ND being in the top 4 at this time. Other than a point loss to Georgia in a game that could have gone either way, they are absolutely crushing teams with a strength of schedule that currently is 7th in the nation, and will finish even higher on the heels of road games at both Miami and Stanford. They have a stout defense against both the run and pass. Josh Adams could and should be a dark horse candidate for Heisman consideration. And while Brandon Wimbush and his young wide receiving are competent enough to move the chains and score.
I believe given their strength of schedule. Their absolute domination and style points achieved in all of their strong opponents other than Georgia, I'd find it hard to make a case for any of the other 1 loss teams over them.

Just of curiosity and civil debate, what teams would you rank above Notre Dame at this time? You obviously watch a lot of college football so I'm interested to hear how you see it.
I wouldn’t rank them ahead of ND at this very moment, but if either Wisconsin or Miami or both win out I would be fine with them eventually jumping Notre Dame. At the moment they haven’t played anyone, but it they can get through their conference championships unscathed I could live with it.

Full disclosure: I am a lifelong Notre Dame hater, so there’s a good chance personal feelings could play a role in this opinion :D

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:

I wouldn’t rank them ahead of ND at this very moment, but if either Wisconsin or Miami or both win out I would be fine with them eventually jumping Notre Dame. At the moment they haven’t played anyone, but it they can get through their conference championships unscathed I could live with it.

Full disclosure: I am a lifelong Notre Dame hater, so there’s a good chance personal feelings could play a role in this opinion :D
That's totally fair, and I agree. But I was simply referring to the committee's decision on the decision on their rankings for the initial rankings. The Catholics vs Convicts discussion will be settled at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami next Saturday 11/11 when the Irish visit there.
I have watched a lot of Wisconsin football games this year and while they are good, I feel that they are far from elite. I wouldn't be surprised if they get upset by Indiana this weekend on the road. After that they play Iowa and Michigan at home, while finishing on the road in Minnesota in a game that they should win. They would also have to play either Penn State or Ohio State in the Big Ten championship game. If they win out, sure they are deserving of a spot in the Final 4, even though their schedule is poor. After personally having seen them struggle with both Northwestern and play too close of a game against a dumpster fire that is Lovie Smith's Fighting Illini I am unimpressed. They'll be favorites in each of their last 4 mediocre games, but I believe they'll lose at least one down the stretch. And if they played Penn State or Ohio State in the Big Ten title game I'd definitely play the favorite at the books while spotting Wisconsin 14. I could be wrong, but I don't believe in them at all. And I like Wisconsin.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Wisconsin and Miami play absolute dog shit schedules. The Big 10 West is a fucking joke (yes, I'm aware I've put myself out here).

Wisconsin is basically doing what Iowa did in 2015. Play in the west division, and miss all the good teams in the east (this is why conferences larger than 12 schools are stupid). Get slaughtered by the first really good team they play in the Rose Bowl. Hopefully they get exposed in the Big 10 title and that silliness ends. Same with Miami. There are some very good ACC teams, but Miami is dodging them for now.

I have an affinity for Wisconsin as well, but we've seen this before.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Iowan wrote:Wisconsin and Miami play absolute dog shit schedules. The Big 10 West is a fucking joke (yes, I'm aware I've put myself out here).

Wisconsin is basically doing what Iowa did in 2015. Play in the west division, and miss all the good teams in the east (this is why conferences larger than 12 schools are stupid). Get slaughtered by the first really good team they play in the Rose Bowl. Hopefully they get exposed in the Big 10 title and that silliness ends. Same with Miami. There are some very good ACC teams, but Miami is dodging them for now.

I have an affinity for Wisconsin as well, but we've seen this before.
Yup.

I'm predicting that although they will likely be favorites in each game, Wisconsin loses 2 of their next 3 games against unranked teams with Indiana, Iowa, and Michigan on the books. I could be wrong, but I'd be absolutely stunned if they are in a top 6 ranking when the final rankings are unveiled.
ND may lose another game and not be there either, but the eye test tells me that I don't think Wisconsin is even a top 4 team in the Big 10 East.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Early was pretty close last week.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

The U will beat the green out of ND.

I still do not get leaving Wisc and UM out. Top teams in their conferences this year. SB UGA 1, Bama 2, UM 3, WISC 4. IMHO
Cubfan06 wrote:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

It's Riot Bowl time, baby! The Gas Can of Destiny is coming back to Ames. #bringthecanhome.

njMark

Post by njMark »

Wow Ohio St. That was something I didn't expect.

Sterling Bigmouth

Fun fact: before last night, Tom Petty had performed live more recently than UT had won a football game.

njMark

Post by njMark »

It seems my completely arbitrary decision to root for UGA simply because I love going to Athens is working out this year. Living in NJ, college football is a complete non-entity and I never had a desire to be a fan of any particular school.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

njMark wrote:It seems my completely arbitrary decision to root for UGA simply because I love going to Athens is working out this year. Living in NJ, college football is a complete non-entity and I never had a desire to be a fan of any particular school.
Not such a bad reason and we are glad to have you regardless. This Saturday is going to be tough.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Cole Younger wrote:
njMark wrote:It seems my completely arbitrary decision to root for UGA simply because I love going to Athens is working out this year. Living in NJ, college football is a complete non-entity and I never had a desire to be a fan of any particular school.
Not such a bad reason and we are glad to have you regardless. This Saturday is going to be tough.
Go Dawgs - for this weekend at least.

I am worried about our game in Starkvegas too. We need to get a win and rest next week.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:https://twitter.com/TrinFootball/status ... 9838688256

Back-to-back

Roll Bants

Is that a Natty Light hat?

Congrats

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »