college football 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: college football 2014

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Zip City wrote:Why are we even talking about TCU? Wouldn't Baylor be the one with the argument (since they beat TCU?)

Oh, right, Baylor shit the bed against MSU while TCU pasted Ole Miss, so TCU is the easier argument

I never thought that Baylor should have been the Big 12 team included, and never felt they were Top 4 material. They showed it today. I've been pro TCU all along, and my posts here would indicate it.

They beat TCU, at home, with the assistance of some very questionable officiating. They lost to a mid-pack WVU team, and played a horrible non-conference schedule. TCU pasted a Top 25 squad in the non-conference, and their only loss was very, very close and controversial. Baylor's regular season loss was an ass whooping.

so you're being selective with your arguments. head-to-head means nothing to you, nor does a conference championship, even though those were 2 of the criteria of the committee.

but something something "blue bloods" controversy I guess

Head to head means something, but it's not everything. Same with conference championships.

I think that TCU is one of the top 4 teams in the country, and I think their resume reflected it. I don't think Baylor is, even though they beat TCU. Is Virginia Tech better than Ohio State? The conference champions thing is a little bit the same way. If a team ran the table all year with a bunch of good wins, and then got upset by a 4 loss team in their CCG, I don't think I'd value the 4 loss Champ over the 1 loss.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Neither would I. I'm not saying a CCG is an auto-berth into the playoff. I'm saying that the committee has laid out a groundwork for the CCG being a deciding factor in who goes and who doesn't
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:Neither would I. I'm not saying a CCG is an auto-berth into the playoff. I'm saying that the committee has laid out a groundwork for the CCG being a deciding factor in who goes and who doesn't

I agree, and I think it's clearer now than it was before hand.

Really though, I predict that the committee will change what factors matter in order to justify their picks. If TCU was the outright Big 12 champ, it wouldn't have mattered, because I think the committee preferred to place Ohio State in. As long as they had a decent argument, they would go forward with it. Ohio State is clearly deserving as well (which illustrates the need for playoff expansion), so they could in good faith put the better brand in, despite an arguably weaker resume.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

And for the 2nd straight year, there will be no SEC national champ, and the NFL's 9th division will be at 2-5 in their bowls.

Ok, Ohio State. You deserve to be in. So did TCU. We need 8 teams.
Last edited by Iowan on Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:And for the 2nd straight year, there will be no SEC national champ, and the NFL's 9th division will be at 2-4 in their bowls.

If only FSU had lost a regular season game

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Iowan wrote:And for the 2nd straight year, there will be no SEC national champ, and the NFL's 9th division will be at 2-4 in their bowls.

That was the real turd in the punch bowl.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Phew. I"m glad you guys realized that there was a really good game being played there.

I wouldn't know, but was that the longest non-overtime college football game ever played? It seemed to go on forever, even though it was exciting and mostly well played.

So, 2 of the best coaches in the business and 1 completely fucks up his team's last possession when they might have run out the clock and definitely should have taken at least another 40 or 50 seconds off the clock and then the other's team runs a 2 minute drill worthy of the Eagles in the Super Bowl against the Pats (meaning they horribly mismanaged the clock taking away whatever slim chance they had to tie). And Mr. Saban's team gave up 42 points (35 on offense) to a team being led by a 3rd string QB starting his second game. Hmmmm.

Do i remember correctly that tOSU had 4 straight 3 & outs in the 4th Q and then broke an 85 yard td run?

Damn that punter for 'bama was incredible. While obviously not the best athlete or football player on the field he was clearly the best player at his position. Unbelievable.

And now the national championship game will be played w/out the SEC. Interesting. And I agree that FSU proved to be all smoke & mirrors and undeserving of their slot. A look at their schedule seems to confirm that but I guess being undefeated counts for a hell of a lot. I agree that it should count for something but I'm not sure that much (xref clam's earlier comment about the importance of being undefeated).

As I've said for quite a while, you can definitely put me down for the 8 team playoff.

But damn that was an exciting game and I expect a whole bunch of those players to have NFL careers. Especially that punter. Damn.

Edited once to fix a typo
Last edited by beantownbubba on Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Oh yeah, Meyer's decision to go for 2 was a really good one, made even better by the fact that they converted.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Who's everyone got on the 12th?

I'll take Oregon 45, OSU 32. My gut reaction, based on what we've seen the past few days is that Bama was pretty overrated, and Ohio State has definitely improved. However, I think Oregon's offense is too much for anyone right now, and they're defense has finally started to follow suit.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:Who's everyone got on the 12th?

I'll take Oregon 45, OSU 32. My gut reaction, based on what we've seen the past few days is that Bama was pretty overrated, and Ohio State has definitely improved. However, I think Oregon's offense is too much for anyone right now, and they're defense has finally started to follow suit.

I'll definitely go w/ Oregon but I don't have a real good feel for the score or the kind of game it might be. tOSU definitely has a better defense than FSU but Oregon has more weapons than Alabama and a QB who seems unlikely to make many mistakes. I gather that Oregon's defense is unheralded but if they're as good as they seemed against FSU it will create big problems for Ohio State. I figure the line's going to favor Oregon by at least 10, maybe 2 touchdowns. At 10 I'd take Oregon w/out a second thought, at 14 I'd have to think a little harder but would probably still bet on the favorite. But i reserve the right to change my mind several times between now and the 12th.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

:
OU SUCKS

Now back to your regular programming.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

4sooner wrote::
OU SUCKS

Fucking grouch. It's not our fault that your PT person made you walk 3 steps or whatever this morning. Come to think of it, it's not our fault OU forgot how to play football.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

beantownbubba wrote:
4sooner wrote::
OU SUCKS

Fucking grouch. It's not our fault that your PT person made you walk 3 steps or whatever this morning. Come to think of it, it's not our fault OU forgot how to play football.

Blame Clams
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Bill in CT wrote:http://jezebel.com/did-this-osu-fan-get-caught-on-live-tv-with-her-sidepie-1677079353?utm_campaign=socialflow_jezebel_facebook&utm_source=jezebel_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Too funny! I remember this from the game and thought it was strange. :lol:

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

^^^^
Somebody reversed the clip, makes it look like she wipes a booger on his neck. :lol:

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

That was one helluva game last night. The "tide" is definitely shifting and the "perception" that the SEC/SEC West Subdivision is far superior to other conferences has been laid to rest. The SEC is still the top conference in my book despite the 2-5 record for the almighty SEC West. It will be interesting to see what happens when Saban moves on.

I'm looking forward to the next five years of college football. Ohio State is going to be a juggernaut whether you like it or not. The Big Ten East is going to grow into something special with Michigan, OSU, MSU and Penn State. I wonder if MSU regresses with Harbaugh in town? I don't see it with Dantonio at the helm. I wish the B1G East could trade away Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana somehow. No disrespect to those institutions but they devalue the conference for me. At least the newbies in this never-ending realignment saga.

I'm taking OSU in the championship game. I hate OSU. Urban's gonna find a way and the damn Buckeyes are going to be media darlings once again. :x

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

bovine knievel wrote:^^^^
Somebody reversed the clip, makes it look like she wipes a booger on his neck. :lol:

She definitely got him.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Erdlivz wrote: I wish the B1G East could trade away Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana somehow. No disrespect to those institutions but they devalue the conference for me.

Just wondering what disrespect might sound like?

(You're right that they don't belong, but that's a different subject)

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

beantownbubba wrote:
Erdlivz wrote: I wish the B1G East could trade away Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana somehow. No disrespect to those institutions but they devalue the conference for me.

Why doesn't Indiana belong? They've been in the Big 10 as long as I can remember.
If Rutgers and Maryland don't belong then neither do Penn State and Nebraska.

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

Woo Pig Sooie.
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bill in CT wrote:If Rutgers and Maryland don't belong then neither do Penn State and Nebraska.

Actually, I totally agree w/ that. But of course the counter argument is that they're serious football schools at a level that MD and Rutgers only approach about once every 25 years.

Indiana is a totally different argument: Of course they belong in the Big 10, it would be awful if they left and worse if they were pushed out. But they haven't been competitive in football for longer than Northwestern, which I think was the point being made.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

beantownbubba wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:If Rutgers and Maryland don't belong then neither do Penn State and Nebraska.

Actually, I totally agree w/ that. But of course the counter argument is that they're serious football schools at a level that MD and Rutgers only approach about once every 25 years.

Indiana is a totally different argument: Of course they belong in the Big 10, it would be awful if they left and worse if they were pushed out. But they haven't been competitive in football for longer than Northwestern, which I think was the point being made.

Maryland and Rutgers each won more Big 10 games than Penn State this year. Rutgers and Michigan each won 3 Big 10 games. A conference can't just have the teams that are traditionally good in one sport or another. If they could then I guess Indiana could be in the Big 10 for basketball but not for football.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bill in CT wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Maryland and Rutgers each won more Big 10 games than Penn State this year. Rutgers and Michigan each won 3 Big 10 games. A conference can't just have the teams that are traditionally good in one sport or another. If they could then I guess Indiana could be in the Big 10 for basketball but not for football.

MD and Rutgers (and Nebraska) don't belong in the Big 10 because, well, they don't fucking belong in the fucking Big 10. Not geographically, not historically, not by rivalry, not for any reason. The fact that MD and Rutgers are both historically basketball schools just makes it worse as does the fact that at least in MD's case they gave up several great rivalries and tons of history to create nothing. Oh. Except for revenues. Can't forget about revenues.

I'm w/ you on the not rooting for other teams in your conference. It makes no sense to me either - I mean, who are the teams you are likely to hate the most? The other teams in your conference, right? How can you put all that aside to root for them in one game? I don't see it. But then again the biggest football conference in my neck of the woods is NESCAC (yes, i know BC plays in the ACC, i'm just trying to be irreverent).

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

beantownbubba wrote:MD and Rutgers (and Nebraska) don't belong in the Big 10 because, well, they don't fucking belong in the fucking Big 10. Not geographically, not historically, not by rivalry, not for any reason. The fact that MD and Rutgers are both historically basketball schools just makes it worse as does the fact that at least in MD's case they gave up several great rivalries and tons of history to create nothing. Oh. Except for revenues. Can't forget about revenues.

I agree that those teams don't belong in the Big 10. (I'd add Penn State in there too.) But that's the world we live in now and I don't see it changing back to the way it used to be.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Penn State has been in the Big 10 for over 20 years. I think they belong

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The fact is the Big Ten had to expand for its financial survival. They would have preferred Notre Dame, Texas, Missouri and Texas A&M to Rutgers and Maryland but they didn't succeed in getting those schools. It's simply the realities of college athletics today.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:The fact is the Big Ten had to expand for its financial survival. They would have preferred Notre Dame, Texas, Missouri and Texas A&M to Rutgers and Maryland but they didn't succeed in getting those schools. It's simply the realities of college athletics today.

Bill in CT wrote: But that's the world we live in now and I don't see it changing back to the way it used to be.

I recognize the reality. I thought the question was whether those schools belonged in the big 10, not whether they're there. But the larger points are (a) Who gives a fuck what the Big 10's needs are? It's the schools that matter, the conference(s) is just an artificial construct whose needs don't move me*; (b) the "realities" of which we speak are business realities. We all know that college sports are big business blah blah blah and we're never going back to some allegedly innocent age that never existed but when you bust up traditional rivalries, ignore geography and your own student bodies and alumni by, e.g. playing half your games on the other side of the Mississippi a la WVA, what's the point of even calling them "college sports" anymore? They are what they are but they're not that.

*Yes, "the big 10" is part of the whole rivalry structure of which i speak, but Ohio State could/would still play Michigan at the end of November and the little brown jug would/could still be up for grabs every year even w/out a Big 10.

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

Zip City wrote:

You can blame my team on that. I know FSU escaped defeat all season, but I think clemson was the only team that gave the game away to them multiple times.
I'll never stop the "What ifs" from that one. So, sorry rest of college football and TCU. Our bad.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Bill in CT wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Why doesn't Indiana belong? They've been in the Big 10 as long as I can remember.
If Rutgers and Maryland don't belong then neither do Penn State and Nebraska.

Indiana belongs. Their history of shitty football doesn't......

My angle is geared more towards those three teams not being the caliber of MSU, PSU, UofM and OSU.