Polar Vortex wtf???

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tinnitus photography

Re: Polar Vortex wtf???

Post by tinnitus photography »

i am gonna get my snowshoes out of my car and get ready for some trekking on sunday.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:13 pm
i am gonna get my snowshoes out of my car and get ready for some trekking on sunday.
Ouch! We went through the arctic thing around Xmas/New Year's. I don't do cold like that well. Stay warm & safe.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Blizzard conditions w/ 1 to 3 feet of snow predicted for the upper midwest, w/ tornado warnings further south. WTF?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Blizzard conditions w/ 1 to 3 feet of snow predicted for the upper midwest, w/ tornado warnings further south. WTF?

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:56 pm
Very glad that my piece of the upper midwest is in the severe thunderstorm area and not the blizzard one.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

FIVE FEET of snow??!! What the fuck is that?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:33 pm
FIVE FEET of snow??!! What the fuck is that?
Northern Alaska

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

View from my office this AM. Homecoming can get here any day now.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

brettac1 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:32 am
It's looking like we're getting another bout in Seattle. Last one wasn't much but it's the cold that kills me. Just in case I'm delivering Xmas presents for my little kid friends this weekend in case we get a major snow dump. Driving in Seattle in the snow is really ugly. We don't get snow a lot here which I am thankful for. Think warm thoughts.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

chuckrh wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:03 pm
brettac1 wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:32 am
It's looking like we're getting another bout in Seattle. Last one wasn't much but it's the cold that kills me. Just in case I'm delivering Xmas presents for my little kid friends this weekend in case we get a major snow dump. Driving in Seattle in the snow is really ugly. We don't get snow a lot here which I am thankful for. Think warm thoughts.
I was in Seattle for one of those rare snowstorms some years back and you aren't kidding. It was MAYBE two inches of snow, but there were buses sliding down hills, businesses closing down, etc. It was a rough scene!
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Clams

Post by Clams »

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2022 ... o-with-it/
When you hear the phrase “polar vortex,” it’s usually referring to the North Pole and we’re talking about Northern Hemisphere winter weather.

So this is an area of low pressure up in the stratosphere, usually centered near the North Pole. It can slosh around, it can stretch, and it can break into two pieces.

There is also often a vortex near the North Pole lower down, in the first few miles of the atmosphere, which we call the “weather layer,” or the troposphere. That’s where systems hustle around the globe, come and go, cold fronts and warm fronts. Above that, in the stratosphere, is the much more defined vortex over the North Pole, and that one can have effects that percolate down to the surface.

So meteorologists are watching both of those layers, the stratosphere and the troposphere, but when you hear “polar vortex,” it’s usually referring to that well defined area of low pressure that’s typically over or near the North Pole, about 10 to 30 miles above the surface in the stratosphere.
Btw If you are into weather, and by that I mean the causes, effects and probabilities of storms, this blog is for you.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

It got up to a balmy 27 (+wind chill) in Politicallycorrectville. Supposed to get into teens tonight. I said f all & didn't leave the house today. The snow wusses are out in force on the roads. People see snow here & their brains shut down.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Clams wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:11 pm
https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2022 ... o-with-it/
When you hear the phrase “polar vortex,” it’s usually referring to the North Pole and we’re talking about Northern Hemisphere winter weather.

So this is an area of low pressure up in the stratosphere, usually centered near the North Pole. It can slosh around, it can stretch, and it can break into two pieces.

There is also often a vortex near the North Pole lower down, in the first few miles of the atmosphere, which we call the “weather layer,” or the troposphere. That’s where systems hustle around the globe, come and go, cold fronts and warm fronts. Above that, in the stratosphere, is the much more defined vortex over the North Pole, and that one can have effects that percolate down to the surface.

So meteorologists are watching both of those layers, the stratosphere and the troposphere, but when you hear “polar vortex,” it’s usually referring to that well defined area of low pressure that’s typically over or near the North Pole, about 10 to 30 miles above the surface in the stratosphere.
Btw If you are into weather, and by that I mean the causes, effects and probabilities of storms, this blog is for you.
This is great. I've become somewhat of a weather nerd since the start of the pandemic. Moreso tornadoes and thunderstorms but I dig it all.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Seattle is basically closed today. The ice storm hit overnight & it's bedlam. Bus service in the county has been totally shut down & the airport is a mess. Only 1 runway is open (out of 3). 3600 flights have been cancelled across the US today on 1 of the busiest travel days of the year. I was supposed to go to a holiday dinner tonight that is an hour drive each way under normal conditions. Not happening. I'll deliver presents for my little friends tomorrow or Sunday.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Been without power since 1pm. Temp is 11 and falling. Polar vortex wtf

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Clams wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:14 pm
Been without power since 1pm. Temp is 11 and falling. Polar vortex wtf
Hope you got your power back, Clams. My neighborhood missed that piece of joy this time. Usually we're the first ones to lose power (& cable!).

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

I live in a rural area and that's always one of the most concerning parts in this situation. We've been having 40+ MPH gusts for over 24 hours now. I especially worry about people whose roads/driveways have been drifted shut losing power. It's 2 degrees with a windchill of -18 at the moment.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

brettac1 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:27 am
I live in a rural area and that's always one of the most concerning parts in this situation. We've been having 40+ MPH gusts for over 24 hours now. I especially worry about people whose roads/driveways have been drifted shut losing power. It's 2 degrees with a windchill of -18 at the moment.
So strange here. Yesterday it was 19 & the city was shut down. Today it's all gone. Raining hard & supposed to be 50 this afternoon. I'll go deliver the gifts that I was supposed to deliver yesterday tomorrow morning. I'll tell the little kids that Santa left them at my house by mistake. They're little enough where they'll buy that except maybe the 6 year old. He's pretty bright & has probably figured it out but he's cool & won't ruin it for his little sister & cousins.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Stay safe, Clams!! Let us know when you get the power back or you've made other short term arrangements.

Freezing cold here today like so many places. Luckily it was unseasonably warm yesterday so all the precip was rain - if it had been snow it would be pretty bad here right now.

They're saying that the worst of this storm is over. Here's hoping. Good luck and peace to all those traveling.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Still out. Since 1pm yesterday

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:14 pm
Still out. Since 1pm yesterday
Yikes. Do you have heat? Do you have some place to stay?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Just about 48 hours now since the power went out. Randi and sammi are at a nearby Hilton, me and the dog are hunkered down in the house. Slept in front of the firepplace last night, inside temp dipped to 43. Have gone thru half a cord of wood since Fri afternoon. Connected my laptop to my phone's hotspot for internet so was able to watch the Eagles last night (fuckin cowboys!). Ground zero is 3 houses down where a big tree took out some poles and wires. Yesterday a tree crew cleaned out the tree and new poles were delivered and this morning a crew of good ol' boys from South Carolina showed up at 8am and started working on the electrical. They think they'll have service restored later today. 15 degrees in Xmas day, god bless those guys. I brought them coffee and donuts from dunkin a couple hours ago. Typing this from 2 feet in front of the fireplace. Merry xmas yall.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Clams wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:40 pm
Just about 48 hours now since the power went out. Randi and sammi are at a nearby Hilton, me and the dog are hunkered down in the house. Slept in front of the firepplace last night, inside temp dipped to 43. Have gone thru half a cord of wood since Fri afternoon. Connected my laptop to my phone's hotspot for internet so was able to watch the Eagles last night (fuckin cowboys!). Ground zero is 3 houses down where a big tree took out some poles and wires. Yesterday a tree crew cleaned out the tree and new poles were delivered and this morning a crew of good ol' boys from South Carolina showed up at 8am and started working on the electrical. They think they'll have service restored later today. 15 degrees in Xmas day, god bless those guys. I brought them coffee and donuts from dunkin a couple hours ago. Typing this from 2 feet in front of the fireplace. Merry xmas yall.
Hang in there! I hope you're restored by now.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Holy cow! Hope you’re up and running, clams.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

This isn't an ice skating rink but 1 of the major roads connecting western & eastern Washington. Needless to say, the pass was closed.

Clams

Post by Clams »

brettac1 wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:48 am
Power back at 9pm last night! 8-)

Those boys from the South Carolina power crew were awesome. Showed up on Xmas day at 8am in frigid temps, worked until 9pm with no breaks. Restored power to all the homes on my street, then back to their hotel and today they were off to Buffalo to help those folks who got like 4 feet of snow.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Clams wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:09 pm
brettac1 wrote:

Those boys from the South Carolina power crew were awesome. Showed up on Xmas day at 8am in frigid temps, worked until 9pm with no breaks. Restored power to all the homes on my street, then back to their hotel and today they were off to Buffalo to help those folks who got like 4 feet of snow.
Glad everything is sorted out.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:09 pm
brettac1 wrote:

Good news. Glad to hear it. The situation in Buffalo is insane.