Polar Vortex wtf???

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

Re: Polar Vortex wtf???

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Snowed overnight- no accumulation and it was gone before anyone was up. Nonetheless, first snow of any kind in our 23 years here. It was 37 at 10 AM today, pretty certain it is the first time we’ve been below 40 at any time after 7 AM in our time in Chico
And you're at the same latitude as Omaha, Des Moines, and Chicago. That's insane.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Iowan wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Snowed overnight- no accumulation and it was gone before anyone was up. Nonetheless, first snow of any kind in our 23 years here. It was 37 at 10 AM today, pretty certain it is the first time we’ve been below 40 at any time after 7 AM in our time in Chico
And you're at the same latitude as Omaha, Des Moines, and Chicago. That's insane.
Also same latitude as much of Mediterranean. We are solidly in the belt of textbook Mediterranean climate found out here
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

When I rolled through Chico this morning there was still plenty of snow on the highway and ground. This was around 8:00 am.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

whatwouldcooleydo?

bovine knievel wrote:
When I rolled through Chico this morning there was still plenty of snow on the highway and ground. This was around 8:00 am.
Damn, none at our house at 7:30. Filbert Ave missing out as usual

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:
Damn, none at our house at 7:30. Filbert Ave missing out as usual
The interesting thing was that it was only on the ground in Chico. Of course looking at the hills to the East and West, you could see how low the snow level was but for whatever reason it dipped down to blanket good ol’ Chico.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Nice. How's the local area doing post fire? Of course it's like it never happened as far as the media is concerned.

Meanwhile Nebraska is experiencing "historic" flooding, threatening dams and, ummm, nuclear power plants. My son has been out of school for a while, but I hope yours skipped today. That girl in Sweden embarrasses us all on a daily basis, plus her English and poise are unbelievable.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

scotto

Post by scotto »

Tornado ripped through town (Jefferson City, MO) and hit hard about a mile from where I live:

Fortunately no damage here, but I slept through it, so not sure if it sounded like a train or not.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I've been close enough to a tornado to confirm that it does indeed sound like a train.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

fuck me, it's hot.

whatwouldcooleydo?

dime in the gutter wrote:fuck me, it's hot.
Where? How hot?

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

baton rouge.

95 thru the end the weekend. lows in the mid 70s.

75% humidity.

no rain in a month.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

It was 90 yesterday, and today the high is 53.

Fucking Iowa.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

dime in the gutter wrote:baton rouge.

75% humidity.

no rain in a month.
About the same here in Nashville. Hottest month of September since 1884.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

whatwouldcooleydo?

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:baton rouge.

75% humidity.

no rain in a month.
About the same here in Nashville. Hottest month of September since 1884.
DAMN :o :o :o

Was still in high 90s here in Chico last week, albeit with low humidity, but it's since broken, hopefully for the season. There were several nerve wracking days last week when it was 95+ with low humidity and high winds, a perfect recipe for fire..... and just the thought of fire triggers the fuck out of the entire community after Paradise. Today is 70 and around 20% humidity

whatwouldcooleydo?

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Hot as shit in west Tennessee too. It's also dry. The grass is burned up. Jackson,Tennessee just went through its longest rainless stretch ever, 29 days I believe.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

For the second time in 12 years a tornado outbreak hit my home state on Super Tuesday. On February 5, 2008 several towns got ripped up pretty bad. Most notably was Jackson, Tn which got hammered by an EF-4.
Fast forward 12 years and middle Tennessee gets smashed onSuper Tuesday.

And god knows Nashville got hit hard this morning, but Cookeville, Tennessee was hit an hour later and 16 people died. I haven't heard about Cookeville or Putnam County one time on national news.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jr29 wrote:For the second time in 12 years a tornado outbreak hit my home state on Super Tuesday. On February 5, 2008 several towns got ripped up pretty bad. Most notably was Jackson, Tn which got hammered by an EF-4.

And god knows Nashville got hit hard this morning, but Cookeville, Tennessee was hit an hour later and 16 people died. I haven't heard about Cookeville or Putnam County one time on national news.
Scary shit. I don't know what details are or aren't being reported but the death/injury totals seem to be taking into account all the events you mention, if that's worth anything.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

jr29 wrote:For the second time in 12 years a tornado outbreak hit my home state on Super Tuesday. On February 5, 2008 several towns got ripped up pretty bad. Most notably was Jackson, Tn which got hammered by an EF-4.

I understand why, but it’s upsetting to see Cookeville and the plateau area ignored by both the national and even state news sources today. A family member of mine is a surgeon there, and he’s told us to expect the death toll to keep climbing. They’ve been sending many patients to hospitals in surrounding counties because of a lack of resources. If there’s anything to take solace in, this area has always been the best about coming together and helping neighbors when disaster strikes.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It must be spring: It's snowing here.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

We have had a super mild March. It's almost too quiet. I don't think there's been an accumulating snow. We got some snow last week that melted in about 12 hours.

We'll still get our annual late April blizzard, of course, but last March sucked.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Greetings from the great gas chamber. This week Seattle has had the worst air quality in the world due to rampaging wildfires in the west. We have been in the very unhealthy for everyone (1 step below straight up hazardous) zone. I'm not feeling well at all as it is adding to my normal health challenges. The good news is the forecast is for it to clear this weekend finally. A little rain is good news for a change. Will have to hope that is the case & all is good for this week's big SEA/NE Sunday Night Football. Below are a few pics from a Mariners game earlier in the week. The stadium has a roof but it is still open air. The air was so bad they had to move 2 home games to SF. Pretty ugly for a hoax (climate change). We've had small episodes of this before but things have been historically bad. Hope everyone else out west is doing ok.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Breathe easy my friend.

Sunday nite should be interesting :)

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Polar Votext WTF here in Austin. We got at least a foot of snow last night. Not supposed to be above freezing all week. My HOT water pipes are frozen.

WTF
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:33 pm
Polar Votext WTF here in Austin. We got at least a foot of snow last night. Not supposed to be above freezing all week. My HOT water pipes are frozen.

WTF
This is truly insane. Tequila Cowboy is reporting 8 degree temps w/ snow and ice in Mississippi. Mississippi!!! All jokes about southerners not being equipped to drive in snow and ice aside, this is insane and dangerous as hell. Sorry about your pipes. I hope they don't burst.
Last edited by beantownbubba on Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

jr29

Post by jr29 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:06 pm
pearlbeer wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:33 pm

WTF
This is truly insane. Tequila Cowboy is reporting 8 degree temps w/ snow and ice in Mississippi. Mississippi!!! All jokes about southerners not being equipped to drive in snow and ice aside, this is insane and dangerous as hell. Sorry about your pipes. I hope they don't burst.
It's supposed to be 1 degree here in Memphis tonight and it's not supposed to be above freezing until Saturday. We got about 5-6 inches of snow today and the forecast is suggesting we could get that amount again Wednesday into Thursday. These extremes aren't unheard of around here, but they are rare....probably see this once every 4-5 years.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

We got over a foot of snow in Seattle this weekend, with high winds for some of it. Saturday it got down to 10F with the wind chill. Now its all melting & it's a slushy hell out there. I said screw it & stayed in today, too. Pretty unusual for Seattle. Maybe once every few years for a good sized snow storm.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how Texas is so much more severely taxed by this weather than the massive chunk of America to the north of it that deals with this shit every year.

I don't mean that as snark, either. Their windmills are iced over, but we have endless stretches of windmills in Iowa, Minnesota, the Dakotas, Nebraska that have been in not just cold weather, but well below zero for the past 10 days with no ice issues. We get ice storms every year.

The pipes are bursting in homes. We have water pipes, and they don't freeze and burst unless you lose heat. Is it that much more expensive to put them inside walls? It can't cost much more than what this disaster will.

I feel really bad for the people who are endangered by this thing, but so much of this seems really preventable. I hope that some lessons are learned and precautions are taken in the future. I definitely can't wrap my head around this power grid scenario.