Polar Vortex wtf???

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Polar Vortex wtf???

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Eight deaths in Arkansas alone from the last monsoon.

I heard about one riding the bus. A homeless guy who camps a little ways down from my house was talking about his wife and how she might be a Jane Doe with amnesia, because her only ID was a star--or an eagle. I think it was an eagle--tattooed on her stomach. They'd been in a tent by the creek. It didn't quite sink in, what he was saying.

They found her body a few days later.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Eight deaths in Arkansas alone from the last monsoon.

I heard about one riding the bus. A homeless guy who camps a little ways down from my house was talking about his wife and how she might be a Jane Doe with amnesia, because her only ID was a star--or an eagle. I think it was an eagle--tattooed on her stomach. They'd been in a tent by the creek. It didn't quite sink in, what he was saying.

if the monsoon don't get ya the lethal injection will :( :( :(
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:Eight deaths in Arkansas alone from the last monsoon.

if the monsoon don't get ya the lethal injection will :( :( :(
I'm really wondering if we should leave behind both the old state motto--"Land of Opportunity"--and the new one--"The Natural State"--and just make is something more honest. "Red in Tooth and Claw" perhaps.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

it begins......... and once it starts it will be at least 5 straight months until it starts to cool down. And it will be bone dry- we often get some rain at Memorial Day but other than that it is typically October or November before we see any more precipitation

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

new england just went through a weekend of mid-40F and rain. screw you.

it snowed in northern NH!
http://www.nh1.com/news/mother-s-day-no ... rts-of-nh/

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tornado 20 miles down the road tonight. Wife nearly got caught in it leaving work.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

My power went out last Saturday night and came back on about six hours ago. Seven days without power is a motherfucker.
We had a storm with 110mph winds blast through the Memphis area. Nothing tornadic, just straight line winds. It is the third largest power outage in the history of Shelby county. trees on homes, trees blocking streets, traffic lights out for days, no ice, no gas, etc all over the entire metro. Very few communities were spared.

On the bright side...massive chunks of the city were completely dark for days and there was no looting or related nonsense. There were a few residential break ins, but those are gonna happen no matter what.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I think straight line winds can be worse than tornadoes. They definitely can affect a wider area in a given storm.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I think we've already seen a 120 degree spread between the 2017 high and low, with plenty of potential to widen that gap on each end.

tinnitus photography

from sub-50 rain to close to 100 and sunny, back to low 60s rain in a week or so.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:I think we've already seen a 120 degree spread between the 2017 high and low, with plenty of potential to widen that gap on each end.
Holy shit! For that to happen here it would require us having a high of 150+

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Iowan wrote:I think we've already seen a 120 degree spread between the 2017 high and low, with plenty of potential to widen that gap on each end.
We just need 100.

The gap between the highest and lowest temps in state history is 165 degrees. 118 to -47. Thanks, Wikipedia.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Near the end of May, we arrived in Paris to record high temps in the mid-90s F. During the few days we were there it cooled back down into a more typical mid 70s. When we got home to Boston in early June, it was 48 degrees and rainy, perfect March weather. Seriously fucked up.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:
We just need 100.

The gap between the highest and lowest temps in state history is 165 degrees. 118 to -47. Thanks, Wikipedia.
good lord! Steve "cantaloupe calves" King, Joni "loves Chachi" Ernst, and -47 degrees.... what did you people do to deserve such a fate? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I realize that Iowa being the birthplace of John Wayne Gacy (looking at you, Michelle Bachman) helps a little, but that's a lot of negative to overcome
Last edited by whatwouldcooleydo? on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:Near the end of May, we arrived in Paris to record high temps in the mid-90s F. During the few days we were there it cooled back down into a more typical mid 70s. When we got home to Boston in early June, it was 48 degrees and rainy, perfect March weather. Seriously fucked up.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It took a few minutes for this to fully sink in beyond the immediate "wow," but holy shit, that's crazy. One might even call that kind of environment inhospitable for humans but yet, there you and millions of others are, feeding the rest of us, drinking beer and raising all kinds of hell.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Iowan wrote:
We just need 100.

good lord! Steve "cantaloupe calves" King, Joni "loves Chachi" Ernst, and -47 degrees.... what did you people do to deserve such a fate? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I realize that Iowa being the birthplace of John Wayne Gacy (looking at you, Michelle Bachman) helps a little, but that's a lot of negative to overcome
-47 keeps the pussies out.

We've been trying to give Steve King's district to Nebraska for years, and haven't made much head way. Ernst was in the right place at the right time. The Manhattan Project was heavily researched at my beloved alma mater, so that might explain some of it?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
It took a few minutes for this to fully sink in beyond the immediate "wow," but holy shit, that's crazy. One might even call that kind of environment inhospitable for humans but yet, there you and millions of others are, feeding the rest of us, drinking beer and raising all kinds of hell.
I'm not sure if you're referring to Chico or Iowa, but either way I think the description fits.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:I'm not sure if you're referring to Chico or Iowa, but either way I think the description fits.
:lol: :lol: Excellent!! (I meant Iowa).

whatwouldcooleydo?

When summer gets really gnarly here in Chico we have often cooled off by driving up to Lassen Volcanic National Park, about 75 miles away (roads are windy so it takes longer than 75 minutes to get there), where the elevations range from 8000 feet to almost 11,000 at the top of the peak. Fairly easy hike to top of peak- done it countless times and it never disappoints. Amazing park in general, lots of geothermal stuff, and typically way cooler than it is down here in the valley. However, most of the park road is still snowed in from our (thankfully) quite wet winter. So when next week gets scorching Lassen is alas not an option :( :( :(

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

That looks awesome!

Yeah, here when it's fucking hot, the only way to cool off is to go inside or jump in a spring-fed body of water. When it's fucking cold, the only way to warm up is to go inside or burn some shit.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:That looks awesome!

Yeah, here when it's fucking hot, the only way to cool off is to go inside or jump in a spring-fed body of water. When it's fucking cold, the only way to warm up is to go inside or burn some shit.
It is awesome! Pretty sure Bovine Knievel is a good bit closer to Lassen than we are. He's posted some of his typically awesome photos from one of the lakes up there. There are literally countless places one can see the peak from while driving around here, which doesn't suck

Pretty much any and all of our out of state visitors get taken to Lassen

Forgot to mention that the volcano last blew in 1915

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

^^^^
Just adding to the Mount Lassen discussion... Here are few pics from work this past week. I love this place!

View of Brokeoff Mtn. and Mount Lassen from Lake Almanor. The entire snow covered range in the pic is what is left of an ancient volcano know as Mount Tehama.

Mount Lassen from Highway 89.

Found this little beauty of a creek - Yellow Creek (Plumas National Forest)
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image
updated forecast is even worse.

gotta love 92 degrees at 10:33 PM :(

and it's not even actually summer yet

Not gonna do this any more, veering into broken record territory

tinnitus photography

fuckin' China.

whatwouldcooleydo?

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

LBRod wrote:
that boy ain't right

whatwouldcooleydo?