Polar Vortex wtf???

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: Polar Vortex wtf???

Post by chuckrh »

We're back to 50 with a wind/rain storm hitting any minute. Supposed to get a half inch of rain tonight. At least it's warm. Hoping the power & cable tv stay on!

Clams

Post by Clams »

I just read the first page of this thread. Classic old school 3dd.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:52 pm
Wow, that Zip City guy was a real asshole
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

phungi

Post by phungi »

Clams wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:52 pm
Hard to believe it only took 3 replies to blame you...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Very possible that last night's tornado in Rolling Fork, MS will be the first to receive an EF-5 rating since Moore, OK in 2013. Was watching and following live last night. Truly horrific storms. There may have been three or more EF-3+ tornadoes that touched down in MS and there were tornado warnings running til almost 3 AM in AL (including some of the towns, counties, and roads you'd know from songs). I believe the current death toll is at 24. It seems almost every week this winter the area commonly known as "Dixie Alley" has been under threat of tornadoes and now we're just headed into actual "tornado season."
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brettac1 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:13 pm
and now we're just headed into actual "tornado season."
As if the storm and its aftermath aren't horrific enough this is the really scary part.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

jr29

Post by jr29 »

brettac1 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:13 pm
Very possible that last night's tornado in Rolling Fork, MS will be the first to receive an EF-5 rating since Moore, OK in 2013. Was watching and following live last night. Truly horrific storms. There may have been three or more EF-3+ tornadoes that touched down in MS and there were tornado warnings running til almost 3 AM in AL (including some of the towns, counties, and roads you'd know from songs). I believe the current death toll is at 24. It seems almost every week this winter the area commonly known as "Dixie Alley" has been under threat of tornadoes and now we're just headed into actual "tornado season."
It could be an EF-5 but I'm thinking some of the damage we're seeing may be exacerbated by the quality of the structures. I believe officials said the Bremen, Kentucky high end EF-4 in December of 2021 could have been an EF-5, but the structures didn't allow them to test whatever it is they need to qualify it as such.
Tornado season in the mid-south is basically from December through May. I'd venture a guess that we get more tornadoes in January and February than we do in May.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

I think they determined the materials (specifically bolts) used on the slabbed houses in the Mayfield, KY tornado were sub-par and that was part of why it was an EF-4. It's just been an incredibly active season down there already. I believe Thursday is already a 15% day for OK/TX, so things will likely be firing off there soon, too.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

brettac1 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:21 pm
I think they determined the materials (specifically bolts) used on the slabbed houses in the Mayfield, KY tornado were sub-par and that was part of why it was an EF-4. It's just been an incredibly active season down there already. I believe Thursday is already a 15% day for OK/TX, so things will likely be firing off there soon, too.
I drive part of the damage path from that tornado often. It's very long and still very apparent.
I used to work in Mayfield 2-3 days per week and I know the town well. Last summer my wife and I took a drive through the heart of town and I found it unrecognizable. Seven months after the tornado the damage was still so severe that I didn't really know my way around. Almost all of the landmarks and my own points of reference were gone.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

jr29 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:41 pm
brettac1 wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:21 pm
I drive part of the damage path from that tornado often. It's very long and still very apparent.
I used to work in Mayfield 2-3 days per week and I know the town well. Last summer my wife and I took a drive through the heart of town and I found it unrecognizable. Seven months after the tornado the damage was still so severe that I didn't really know my way around. Almost all of the landmarks and my own points of reference were gone.
So tragic. I remember watching live coverage the night of 12/10/21, as we were experiencing about a foot of snow in my area. It made me feel somewhat "lucky" that all I had to do was shovel snow and have a sore back for a day or two. I can't even fathom it, even though I live in a state that does have tornadoes.

We've been very fortunate to this point, but we are now starting to experience the threat of derechos more regularly which are another flavor of awful.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Last night a tornado hit my hometown, Adamsville, Tennessee (also Buford Pusser's hometown). Seven people were killed.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jr29 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:56 pm
Last night a tornado hit my hometown, Adamsville, Tennessee (also Buford Pusser's hometown). Seven people were killed.
Fuck. I'm going to guess that at "best" you're separated by only one degree from those unfortunate folks and it seems likely you may have known one or more of them personally. So sorry for your loss. Post about any relief efforts you become aware of so that people can contribute directly.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:02 am
jr29 wrote:
Fuck. I'm going to guess that at "best" you're separated by only one degree from those unfortunate folks and it seems likely you may have known one or more of them personally. So sorry for your loss. Post about any relief efforts you become aware of so that people can contribute directly.
I still have a lot of family and friends there and everyone I know is physically fine. A cousin of mine sustained awful damage to his home and two of his neighbors were killed. I read this morning that the number of deaths rose to 9. Initially, it sounded like all of the deaths were in Adamsville, but now it's sounding like at least one or two were in a different part of McNairy County, closer to Selmer.
A family member told me that it looks like there were two tornadoes on the ground for a time. There was the main, long track tornado and a shorter track but still very destructive tornado about 2-3 miles to the north.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

jr29 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:24 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:02 am
jr29 wrote:
I still have a lot of family and friends there and everyone I know is physically fine. A cousin of mine sustained awful damage to his home and two of his neighbors were killed. I read this morning that the number of deaths rose to 9. Initially, it sounded like all of the deaths were in Adamsville, but now it's sounding like at least one or two were in a different part of McNairy County, closer to Selmer.
A family member told me that it looks like there were two tornadoes on the ground for a time. There was the main, long track tornado and a shorter track but still very destructive tornado about 2-3 miles to the north.
Stay safe.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

No idea if this is the ideal place for this, but it’s where it’s going. After getting solar installed a few months back we just had our first full month of completely using solar. It was a very hot month- typical- and we had to use A/C a lot, for medical and comfort reasons. If my math is correct, our utility bill was reduced by 92%. Pert near impossible to have a zero bill, as we are connected to the grid (can’t sell back power if not connected) & will always have a minimum monthly bill that is basically the fees charged by the utility. To put it in perspective, my total bill for the month was the equivalent of 3-4 pints at a local brewery. Not too shabby
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:24 pm
No idea if this is the ideal place for this, but it’s where it’s going. After getting solar installed a few months back we just had our first full month of completely using solar. It was a very hot month- typical- and we had to use A/C a lot, for medical and comfort reasons. If my math is correct, our utility bill was reduced by 92%. Pert near impossible to have a zero bill, as we are connected to the grid (can’t sell back power if not connected) & will always have a minimum monthly bill that is basically the fees charged by the utility. To put it in perspective, my total bill for the month was the equivalent of 3-4 pints at a local brewery. Not too shabby
Begs the question: what was the up front cost and how many months before you break even?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Zip City wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:12 pm
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:24 pm
Begs the question: what was the up front cost and how many months before you break even?
Not cheap, especially with having to get a new roof. without roof it was in the ballpark of $20K, but we get a $4K tax credit next year. I would have to research my yearly pre-solar utility costs, but guessing it will take 7-8 years to break even. Maybe even less given how much the price per unit keeps going straight up hill
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I guess it's a good thing that this thread had sunk to the 2nd page, but What. The. Actual. Fuck????? :shock: :shock: :(

Six to twelve FEET of snow predicted this weekend for the Sierra Nevadas. With winds over 115 MPH and blizzard conditions. I mean, seriously. Has anybody actually heard of 12 feet of snow in one storm before? And winds over 100 mph that have nothing to do w/ hurricanes, tornadoes, cyclones or anything like that? I can't wrap my head around any of it but I'm thinking of 12 feet of new snow being thrown around by 100 mph winds on mountain roads and I'm thinking drifts 30, 40, 50 feet high. When ski resorts close because of too much snow you know it's serious.

It's insane. If the apocalypse is not upon us I hate to think what that feared event will actually look like.

TWELVE FEET!!