MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

jr29

Re: MLB 2017

Post by jr29 »

I just got back from St. Louis where I spent three days and hundreds of dollars and had to watch an embarrassing baseball team. I'll spend my money at minor league games or I'll go to Atlanta and watch the braves before I waste more time or money on the horseshit that is passing for baseball in St. louis right now.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Miguel Montero breaks bad on Jake Arrieta, Anthony Rizzo had some choice public comments on the situation and BAM Miggy's DFA'd. Welcome to a struggling ballclub with high expectations.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Miguel Montero breaks bad on Jake Arrieta, Anthony Rizzo had some choice public comments on the situation and BAM Miggy's DFA'd. Welcome to a struggling ballclub with high expectations.
DFA'ing him was the right move. A struggling team can't have players putting each other on blast over social media. I'm happy for Montero's contribution to last year's title run, but he had to go
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Miguel Montero breaks bad on Jake Arrieta, Anthony Rizzo had some choice public comments on the situation and BAM Miggy's DFA'd. Welcome to a struggling ballclub with high expectations.
DFA'ing him was the right move. A struggling team can't have players putting each other on blast over social media. I'm happy for Montero's contribution to last year's title run, but he had to go
After Rizzo's comments I think it was inevitable but I would have rather Rizzo had not made those comments and the whole team go on media lockdown for a day or two to let cooler heads prevail. Once they were made though? No question, he had to go.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Throwing out less than 25% of runners attempting steals with 10 throwing errors as a back up catcher is bad enough. Calling out a former Cy Young pitcher who you are assigned to personally catch for, is a death sentence. Fuck 'em.

Excited to see Victor Carrantini on a limited basis.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I've had about enough of John Lackey

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

My Mariners are pathetic. Just got swept in a 2 game home series by the Phillies. Geez! I guess we can go back to the standard "hey, remember that year we almost didn't suck" mode.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Braves are currently far better than they have any right to be, and them DFA’ing Bartolo Colon actually gives me the tiniest sliver of hope going into the All Star Break. They won’t contend for anything this year, but the future might not be so bad.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Braves are currently far better than they have any right to be, and them DFA’ing Bartolo Colon actually gives me the tiniest sliver of hope going into the All Star Break. They won’t contend for anything this year, but the future might not be so bad.
I like what your Braves are doing. I think they can compete next year if some of the young pitching comes around but it's pretty clear they're looking at the so called "superclass" of FA in 2018 to really enter a contention window. The next wave of contenders in the NL are clearly the Braves, Phillies and Brewers with the latter a little farther ahead in the rebuild, Philly with the most money to spend but Atlanta may have the strongest young core.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Braves are currently far better than they have any right to be, and them DFA’ing Bartolo Colon actually gives me the tiniest sliver of hope going into the All Star Break. They won’t contend for anything this year, but the future might not be so bad.
I'm liking what is going on in Atlanta.
It's great to see Matt Adams contributing like he is. He just ended up being the odd man out in St. Louis.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Zip City wrote:I've had about enough of John Lackey
But he is so damn lovable.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Mr. B wrote:
I'm done with him too, I mean a bad attitude and guile only get you so far when your stuff has left you, but unlike some I've always like Lackey. To me before this year he was always the redass that you hated on other teams but grateful you had on yours.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Mr. B wrote:
I'm done with him too, I mean a bad attitude and guile only get you so far when your stuff has left you, but unlike some I've always like Lackey. To me before this year he was always the redass that you hated on other teams but grateful you had on yours.
Now he's the redass who blames his teammates for everything that goes wrong when he starts

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Now he's the redass who blames his teammates for everything that goes wrong when he starts
Has he blamed teammates? I hadn't seen that.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:Now he's the redass who blames his teammates for everything that goes wrong when he starts
Not in the media, but every time they don't turn a double play or commit an error or whatever he's barking at them. Too bad the 12,000 HR's he's given up this year are squarely on him

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Not in the media, but every time they don't turn a double play or commit an error or whatever he's barking at them. Too bad the 12,000 HR's he's given up this year are squarely on him
He pulled the same shit in St. Louis. I wanted his starts to be 12-8 wins with him allowing 6 ER in 4 innings.
He's also a douche with reporters.

On a lighter note, the Cards are killing it since they shit the bed in the two games I attended last weekend.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

With the wheels falling off my Tigers in a way that only a rebuild can likely remedy, I guess I'll pin my hopes on the hometown Rockies for a while. Not sure they can hang with the Dodgers, but sneaking into a WC spot would be a welcome jolt to Denver's long-moribund baseball scene.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Giants have won 4 straight

I think it's the turning point :lol: :lol: :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Giants have won 4 straight

:lol: :lol: This is why we love baseball.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Make that 5 straight. Just need to get the streak to 24 straight to reach .500 :roll:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

Make that 5 straight. Just need to get the streak to 24 straight to reach .500 :roll:
At least you can root for Buster Posey who seems to be having quite a year. That should bring some light into the darkness.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Keep forgetting to post this. Was in SD last month and went to 2 games at Petco. We were in town for the Rock and Roll Marathon (half-marathon for my wife). We had amazing seats behind home for a Saturday game and decided at last minute to also go on Friday. Got good seats a few sections down from first base. For a Friday night game it was pretty poorly attended, especially in our section (cheaper sections were more full- makes sense with the team the Padres are fielding). Our seats were the 3rd and 4th in from the right aisle, and the entire row to my left was empty. We quickly made friends with the two folks to our right, a couple from Bakersfield who were down vacationing after their youngest had just graduated high school. At one point a foul ball hit a few sections over, with a guy grabbing it after several bounces and ricochets. After the guy got the ball, he immediately stood up and held the ball aloft as if it were the head of a vanquished foe. When he did this, everyone sitting around us all agreed laughingly that one doesn't get to celebrate a foul ball that much UNLESS you make a clean catch (no bounces or ricochets).

So an inning later I'm looking down at my phone (pretty sure I was texting LBRod, Bill, and Bovine) when my wife yells something. Don't recall what it was but something along the line of "ball!" on "incoming!". I look up from phone and to my left a screaming foul hits way down the empty row to my left. It bounces once and I grab it with my left hand. And then guess what happened? I immediately stood up and held the ball aloft as if it were the head of a vanquished foe. :lol: :lol: :lol: Completely actin' the fool! Not a thought crossed my mind in the whole process, from catching the ball to standing up and doing precisely what we all earlier said you shouldn't do. My main memory of the whole event was that it all happened so fast that I don't remember what my wife said or what I did or anything. Everyone around was slapping my back and asking to see the ball. Once things settled down, the inning had ended and I never even figured out which Rockie had hit the ball.

I figure I've been to at least 125 MLB games and this was the first time I've gotten a ball. Before this the closest was three Canseco home runs into my section at the Ballpark in Arlington back when it opened (pretty sure that was 1994).

In addition to the foul ball, I was on the Jumbotron TWICE during the game. I imagine both the foul ball and the Jumbotron appearance were greatly aided by the sparse Friday crowd.

this was our view for the Saturday game

Sterling Bigmouth

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image

Keep forgetting to post this. Was in SD last month and went to 2 games at Petco. We were in town for the Rock and Roll Marathon (half-marathon for my wife). We had amazing seats behind home for a Saturday game and decided at last minute to also go on Friday. Got good seats a few sections down from first base. For a Friday night game it was pretty poorly attended, especially in our section (cheaper sections were more full- makes sense with the team the Padres are fielding). Our seats were the 3rd and 4th in from the right aisle, and the entire row to my left was empty. We quickly made friends with the two folks to our right, a couple from Bakersfield who were down vacationing after their youngest had just graduated high school. At one point a foul ball hit a few sections over, with a guy grabbing it after several bounces and ricochets. After the guy got the ball, he immediately stood up and held the ball aloft as if it were the head of a vanquished foe. When he did this, everyone sitting around us all agreed laughingly that one doesn't get to celebrate a foul ball that much UNLESS you make a clean catch (no bounces or ricochets).

So an inning later I'm looking down at my phone (pretty sure I was texting LBRod, Bill, and Bovine) when my wife yells something. Don't recall what it was but something along the line of "ball!" on "incoming!". I look up from phone and to my left a screaming foul hits way down the empty row to my left. It bounces once and I grab it with my left hand. And then guess what happened? I immediately stood up and held the ball aloft as if it were the head of a vanquished foe. :lol: :lol: :lol: Completely actin' the fool! Not a thought crossed my mind in the whole process, from catching the ball to standing up and doing precisely what we all earlier said you shouldn't do. My main memory of the whole event was that it all happened so fast that I don't remember what my wife said or what I did or anything. Everyone around was slapping my back and asking to see the ball. Once things settled down, the inning had ended and I never even figured out which Rockie had hit the ball.

I figure I've been to at least 125 MLB games and this was the first time I've gotten a ball. Before this the closest was three Canseco home runs into my section at the Ballpark in Arlington back when it opened (pretty sure that was 1994).

In addition to the foul ball, I was on the Jumbotron TWICE during the game. I imagine both the foul ball and the Jumbotron appearance were greatly aided by the sparse Friday crowd.
Nice! Only time I’ve ever been close a ball was off a Melky Cabrera walkoff HR in Yankee Stadium back in 2009. It came in the 14th inning after a 2-3 hour rain delay, so my brother and I were some of the only fans in the right field bleachers. There’s nothing like being in a packed, electric crowd, but I’d argue sparse crowds where you’ve got room to move around if you want are just as fun.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image

Nice! Only time I’ve ever been close a ball was off a Melky Cabrera walkoff HR in Yankee Stadium back in 2009. It came in the 14th inning after a 2-3 hour rain delay, so my brother and I were some of the only fans in the right field bleachers. There’s nothing like being in a packed, electric crowd, but I’d argue sparse crowds where you’ve got room to move around if you want are just as fun.
Hah! And as a Giants fan, I call him "god damn Melky Cabrera" :x

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Big win for the Sox tonite in extras. This game had something for everyone including sort of ageless ex Red Sox Mike Napoli hitting a game tying HR off Craig Kimbrel (!!) in the 9th inning which this season is a total shocker. Dustin Pedroia was everywhere doing everything offensively and defensively including making a derek jeter in Oakland-like play to preserve the tie in the 9th. IIRC, at one point the Sox led by 5-2 and the Sox had only 3 hits, all by Pedroia, who also had 4 RBI's. Mookie Betts hit a ball so hard on a straight line that it didn't have enough height to clear the fence but almost went through it and the resulting double put him right in the middle of the winning rally, which is where he always seems to be. It took Trout's injury but good for Mookie getting the all star game start. It was old news by the end but Porcello pitched very well (though his last pitch was a HR that was the Rangers' 3rd run which became very big later) and Sox nation once again hopes he has turned the corner.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

How often do you guys make it to games, MLB or minor league ? I've made an effort to get to more this year and my count is at 7. 2 MLB, 5 minor league. I'm hoping to make it to 5-8 more minor league games at least this year. My work schedule makes it almost impossible for me to make games Tuesday-Friday.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

jr29 wrote:How often do you guys make it to games, MLB or minor league ? I've made an effort to get to more this year and my count is at 7. 2 MLB, 5 minor league. I'm hoping to make it to 5-8 more minor league games at least this year. My work schedule makes it almost impossible for me to make games Tuesday-Friday.
4 Cub games so far this year. Will probably get to 3 or 4 others. Will also hit one or two white sox vs. Tigers game at the Cell or whatever they call it now. And going to a game in KC for the first time ever this August. May try to hit a minor league game during our summer vacation in Maine in August.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

jr29 wrote:How often do you guys make it to games, MLB or minor league ? I've made an effort to get to more this year and my count is at 7. 2 MLB, 5 minor league. I'm hoping to make it to 5-8 more minor league games at least this year. My work schedule makes it almost impossible for me to make games Tuesday-Friday.
This year I've seen one MLB game and am going to a minor league game this week. I really should see more minor league games since we have a AAA team right here in the city but, you know, life gets in the way

Sterling Bigmouth

I try to get out to a couple a year, which is kinda tough living 3 hours away from the closest team though. I’ve only been to one major league game this year, but I’ve already got tickets for two more. I typically go to more college games since they’re cheaper and easier to get to.

whatwouldcooleydo?