MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Shakespeare

Re: MLB 2018

Post by Shakespeare »

sorry isnt the right word but it sucks to see a guy have it all and still flame out. my outside read is that harvey and the mets were an abysmal pairing in just about every possible way. harvey had the swagger to handle the new york spotlight but no one on the mets ever seemed willing to reign him in him until it was far too late. maybe its a wonder he even made it this long.

gotta imagine someone gives him a shot but will he be humble enough to take it

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard each have a career ERA of under 3. Matt Harvey was only good in 2013 and 2015. Maybe he just wasn't as talented as we thought he was.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Bill in CT wrote:Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard each have a career ERA of under 3. Matt Harvey was only good in 2013 and 2015. Maybe he just wasn't as talented as we thought he was.
Very few guys are the same after thoracic outlet syndrome, and he was just coming back from TJ surgery. I think those two things, an abrasive personality and a questionable work ethic are to blame. In his prime though the stuff was filthy. There’s no denying that.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Any Met fan (or exec, for that matter) who that that ALL of their young pitchers were going to pan out were really kidding themselves
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Shakespeare wrote:sorry isnt the right word but it sucks to see a guy have it all and still flame out. my outside read is that harvey and the mets were an abysmal pairing in just about every possible way. harvey had the swagger to handle the new york spotlight but no one on the mets ever seemed willing to reign him in him until it was far too late. maybe its a wonder he even made it this long.

gotta imagine someone gives him a shot but will he be humble enough to take it
I’m holding out for, dare I say, the rest of the story
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

It’s funny to me how different people’ reactions to baseball can be. The other day in this thread Rod mentioned that he was having fun watching the Giants who were over .500 and having fun, while in Chicago the voices calling for Joe Maddon to be fired and the meatball crowd are jumping off buildings over a team with a slightly better winning percentage. Of course the difference is in expectations, anything less than a trip to the World Series would be a failure here, but it is interesting. I’ve been resisting the urge to full meatball but this team is just not fun to watch right now. Intellectually you can realize they’ll get better but as far as baseball joy, that’s hard to come by for Cubs fans these days. I might have to skip a few games to gain some perspective.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard each have a career ERA of under 3. Matt Harvey was only good in 2013 and 2015. Maybe he just wasn't as talented as we thought he was.
Very few guys are the same after thoracic outlet syndrome, and he was just coming back from TJ surgery. I think those two things, an abrasive personality and a questionable work ethic are to blame. In his prime though the stuff was filthy. There’s no denying that.
I agree with you here. I guess I was unclear in my previous post. In pointing out how well deGrom and Syndergaard have pitched so far, I was disagreeing with your statement that the Mets are partially to blame for Harvey’s steep decline. Any blame for that belongs to Harvey alone. Of course his physical problems were neither the fault of Harvey nor the Mets organization.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Shakespeare wrote:kinda funny that for what i imagine will be a fairly divisive candidate, the eye test and the advanced metrics pretty much agree on what molina is, the only difference being whether that warrants induction
Like.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:It’s funny to me how different people’ reactions to baseball can be. The other day in this thread Rod mentioned that he was having fun watching the Giants who were over .500 and having fun, while in Chicago the voices calling for Joe Maddon to be fired and the meatball crowd are jumping off buildings over a team with a slightly better winning percentage. Of course the difference is in expectations, anything less than a trip to the World Series would be a failure here, but it is interesting. I’ve been resisting the urge to full meatball but this team is just not fun to watch right now. Intellectually you can realize they’ll get better but as far as baseball joy, that’s hard to come by for Cubs fans these days. I might have to skip a few games to gain some perspective.
Question from the heart of Red Sox Nation: Do you suppose meatball fans, their ridiculous expectations, their micro analysis, second guessing based on misuse/ misunderstanding of stats and constant blathering on talk radio have anything to do w/ baseball not being fun in Chitown?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:It’s funny to me how different people’ reactions to baseball can be. The other day in this thread Rod mentioned that he was having fun watching the Giants who were over .500 and having fun, while in Chicago the voices calling for Joe Maddon to be fired and the meatball crowd are jumping off buildings over a team with a slightly better winning percentage. Of course the difference is in expectations, anything less than a trip to the World Series would be a failure here, but it is interesting. I’ve been resisting the urge to full meatball but this team is just not fun to watch right now. Intellectually you can realize they’ll get better but as far as baseball joy, that’s hard to come by for Cubs fans these days. I might have to skip a few games to gain some perspective.
Question from the heart of Red Sox Nation: Do you suppose meatball fans, their ridiculous expectations, their micro analysis, second guessing based on misuse/ misunderstanding of stats and constant blathering on talk radio have anything to do w/ baseball not being fun in Chitown?
This some extent sure. I haven’t listened to Chicago sports radio in years so I don’t know much it’s to blame but mainstream Cubs FB groups, including their official page, have become breeding grounds for the truly deranged. Yesterday some woman suggested that Maddon was taking payoffs from opposing teams to lose and the post had 200 likes. Then you have a team working through some serious problems and the fun decreases.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Facebook is, in general, a breeding ground for the stupid and deranged. Look at the DBT and Isbell groups. I keep my Cubs discussion to moderated message boards where they can at least attempt to keep the wackos out

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Facebook is, in general, a breeding ground for the stupid and deranged. Look at the DBT and Isbell groups. I keep my Cubs discussion to moderated message boards where they can at least attempt to keep the wackos out
I generally stay out of those places too. I occasionally post on a Bleacher Nation post to rile the stupid but that experience usually sends me back to one of the intelligent groups I participate in. One keeps its membership to 100 to try to keep out trolls and the other affiliated group that’s a little more metrically inclined keeps the membership at 40. All that said the Cubs aren’t helping by not performing. Their are some bright spots but they seem to be playing with very little heart right now. They probably need to shake up the most at the deadline for a lead off hitter but don’t ask me who or how yet. Right now though it’s depressing baseball

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Can anyone explain why, at least according to ESPN, a reliever using a bullpen cart to enter a game in AZ is a story?

Excellent back n forth game between Sox & Rangers last nite w/ some great performances. Mookie Betts is having a season for the ages. He went 0-4 but still may have been the most impressive player on the field. He's on first via a walk when Benintendi hits a blooper to LEFT. Betts outruns the Rangers' SS, 3B & LF to get to third then scores when SS Profar held the ball too long. Sox won by 1. No doubt you have to see it to see what a great play it was, but trust me, it was.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:Facebook is, in general, a breeding ground for the stupid and deranged. Look at the DBT and Isbell groups. I keep my Cubs discussion to moderated message boards where they can at least attempt to keep the wackos out
I generally stay out of those places too. I occasionally post on a Bleacher Nation post to rile the stupid but that experience usually sends me back to one of the intelligent groups I participate in. One keeps its membership to 100 to try to keep out trolls and the other affiliated group that’s a little more metrically inclined keeps the membership at 40. All that said the Cubs aren’t helping by not performing. Their are some bright spots but they seem to be playing with very little heart right now. They probably need to shake up the most at the deadline for a lead off hitter but don’t ask me who or how yet. Right now though it’s depressing baseball
They haven't been fun to watch, this is true. That said, their 16-14 record is the same after 30 games as the 2016 season. There's a lot of baseball left

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:Can anyone explain why, at least according to ESPN, a reliever using a bullpen cart to enter a game in AZ is a story?
Not sure it merits a story, but it hadn’t happened since 1995. Plus, it’s ESPN

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The Braves are calling up young 3B prospect Austin Riley up to AAA today. If he performs I'm kind of guessing that the Bautista experiment at 3B will be over by July. That young Braves team is fun to watch. When the season started I was unsure which of the two young upstart teams in the NL East were going to be for real and I went with the Phillies, but I think that was in error. Would not surprise me to see these Braves win the division and it would surprise me less for them to be a WC team.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:The Braves are calling up young 3B prospect Austin Riley up to AAA today. If he performs I'm kind of guessing that the Bautista experiment at 3B will be over by July. That young Braves team is fun to watch. When the season started I was unsure which of the two young upstart teams in the NL East were going to be for real and I went with the Phillies, but I think that was in error. Would not surprise me to see these Braves win the division and it would surprise me less for them to be a WC team.
Meanwhile, that was one ugly weekend for the Cubs. No reason to panic yet, but . . .

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:The Braves are calling up young 3B prospect Austin Riley up to AAA today. If he performs I'm kind of guessing that the Bautista experiment at 3B will be over by July. That young Braves team is fun to watch. When the season started I was unsure which of the two young upstart teams in the NL East were going to be for real and I went with the Phillies, but I think that was in error. Would not surprise me to see these Braves win the division and it would surprise me less for them to be a WC team.
I finally got around to watching the Braves this weekend. Perhaps it was just bad timing to catch the Giants on a roll. Phillies next. Did I mention this season has been enjoyable?
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

I definitely hope you’re right, and if it happens it will definitely because of the offense. The Braves have the highest batting WAR in the majors, while the pitching is pretty middle of the road. Would help if the veterans like Teheran, McCarthy, & Folty can prove they’ve found the consistency they’ve missed the better part of their careers.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
I definitely hope you’re right, and if it happens it will definitely because of the offense. The Braves have the highest batting WAR in the majors, while the pitching is pretty middle of the road. Would help if the veterans like Teheran, McCarthy, & Folty can prove they’ve found the consistency they’ve missed the better part of their careers.
If they're right in the division race in July I think they need a veteran pitcher, but I do like the young staff. I've thought that they would be an ideal landing spot for a Machado rental as well but Austin Riley is tearing up AA, if he does the same at AAA and looks ready to come up there's no need to make that move. I've seen him play by the way, and he's fun to watch just like your other young stars.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Caught the last 5 innings of Cards/Cubs last night, pretty entertaining, though it was “tainted” by the absence of Molina

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I'm not sure the if the Cards can stay toward the top of the central ( I see them being very streaky) but I am enjoying it very much right now. I was born in 1982 and some of my earliest memories involve watching the mid-late 1980's cardinal teams and my favorite player was either Willie McGee or Jack Clark. Willie became a Cardinal coach this year and seeing him in the dugout every night is great. Willie, Jose Oquendo, Matheny, John Mabry......I definitely like the coaching staff more than the current players.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jr29 wrote:Willie became a Cardinal coach this year and seeing him in the dugout every night is great. Willie, Jose Oquendo, Matheny, John Mabry......I definitely like the coaching staff more than the current players.
It would be great to do a survey 'round baseball to see how many teams that was true of.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Poll of big leaguers reveals what stats they value to gauge performance

"I still wish I understood WAR," Orioles center fielder Adam Jones said :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, enjoyed this from the comments on the Deadspin piece about this poll, it definitely made me chortle

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

A lot of people who decry WAR or other advanced stats say its because "they don't know how they're calculated." That might be a fair point if someone could figure out why we value something like ERA so much (or if someone could calculate it in their head, for that matter)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yankees - Red Sox, first of 3 in the Bronx tonight. The rivalry is back, big time.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

So the Chicago media has decided that Manny Machado must be acquired AT ALL COSTS. The current suggestion being floated out there by the Sun-Times and the CBS Local website is Addison Russell, Kyle Schwarber and top (and maybe only real) pitching prospect Adbert Alzolay for 2 months of Machado. Russell may never be who people thought he would be offensively but he's 24 years old and an elite defender that will still post at least 2 WAR even if the bat doesn't come around. . Schwarber is beginning to come into his own with a slash of .269/.372/.546 with a .388 wOBA and a 147 wRC+ with 7 HR and 17 RBI and on a pace to post about 4.5-5 WAR this year, plus his defense is nowhere near as bad as the pundits would have you believe, he's really just below average which you can live with for that bat. Each has 3 years of control. So you're talking about trading 6 years of control and somewhere in the range of 21 WAR for a 2 month rental, and that's before you even figure on Alzolay who's probably a #3 starter in the show. The stupidity is amazing and the fans are eating it up. Here's the funny thing, I WANT MACHADO ON THE CUBS but he can be had in November for nothing but money and if they do move on for Russell he could be traded for more value. I'm going to have to listen to this bullshit for 2 1/2 months. Our Jewish friends have the right word for situations like this. Oy.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:So the Chicago media has decided that Manny Machado must be acquired AT ALL COSTS. The current suggestion being floated out there by the Sun-Times and the CBS Local website is Addison Russell, Kyle Schwarber and top (and maybe only real) pitching prospect Adbert Alzolay for 2 months of Machado. Russell may never be who people thought he would be offensively but he's 24 years old and an elite defender that will still post at least 2 WAR even if the bat doesn't come around. . Schwarber is beginning to come into his own with a slash of .269/.372/.546 with a .388 wOBA and a 147 wRC+ with 7 HR and 17 RBI and on a pace to post about 4.5-5 WAR this year, plus his defense is nowhere near as bad as the pundits would have you believe, he's really just below average which you can live with for that bat. Each has 3 years of control. So you're talking about trading 6 years of control and somewhere in the range of 21 WAR for a 2 month rental, and that's before you even figure on Alzolay who's probably a #3 starter in the show. The stupidity is amazing and the fans are eating it up. Here's the funny thing, I WANT MACHADO ON THE CUBS but he can be had in November for nothing but money and if they do move on for Russell he could be traded for more value. I'm going to have to listen to this bullshit for 2 1/2 months. Our Jewish friends have the right word for situations like this. Oy.
I wouldn't package both Rusell and Schwarber together (neither would Theo and Jed), but I'd trade either in a heartbeat for Machado also assuming you need to throw something else in to sweeten the pot. The Cubs window will remain open for a while. And I also understand that its "possible" that they could sign Machado November without giving up any collateral. The Cubs have made three consecutive NLCS appearances with one WS Championship. I'm in favor of aggressively jumping on the fact that this will likely be a down year for the Dodgers. Manny Machado is a transcendent player that would fit well on this roster and have the chance to make an impact every day. Even if the end result turns out to be a pennant instead of a World Series ring, that trade would be worth it to the legacy of this organization's run the past 4 years.

Full disclosure , I don't think Machado will be coming to the Cubs.

Also, you and I must be watching a different Kyle Schwarber in the field. Yes, he has a plus arm. But his error total is lower than it should be because at times he isn't even close enough to the ball to be deemed one. I see him regularly misplay balls even when he is able to recover to get to it.
Now Almora, that is an entirely different story. That dude should be playing every day. ;)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Yeah, I might put Russell in a deal but not Schwarber. I predicted he’d be a .280/.380/.580 hitter and he’s just about there. That kind of lefty bat with 40 HR power does not grow on trees. Plus Baltimore wants pitching so it’s not even a viable trade option. Philly or Atlanta seem to be the most likely landing spots for him if they’re in it in July with Atlanta being more likely given their ridiculous minor league pitching depth. They have 5 55 grade pitching prospects in addition to the ones already up.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:So the Chicago media has decided that Manny Machado must be acquired AT ALL COSTS. The current suggestion being floated out there by the Sun-Times and the CBS Local website is Addison Russell, Kyle Schwarber and top (and maybe only real) pitching prospect Adbert Alzolay for 2 months of Machado. Russell may never be who people thought he would be offensively but he's 24 years old and an elite defender that will still post at least 2 WAR even if the bat doesn't come around. . Schwarber is beginning to come into his own with a slash of .269/.372/.546 with a .388 wOBA and a 147 wRC+ with 7 HR and 17 RBI and on a pace to post about 4.5-5 WAR this year, plus his defense is nowhere near as bad as the pundits would have you believe, he's really just below average which you can live with for that bat. Each has 3 years of control. So you're talking about trading 6 years of control and somewhere in the range of 21 WAR for a 2 month rental, and that's before you even figure on Alzolay who's probably a #3 starter in the show. The stupidity is amazing and the fans are eating it up. Here's the funny thing, I WANT MACHADO ON THE CUBS but he can be had in November for nothing but money and if they do move on for Russell he could be traded for more value. I'm going to have to listen to this bullshit for 2 1/2 months. Our Jewish friends have the right word for situations like this. Oy.
Gotta agree w/ you here, TC. Do people understand that we're talking about max 3 months of machado (if the deal got done before the deadline)? That's just crazy. And you don't just essentially give away .900+ OPS players. If you're gonna move Schwarber, it ought to be in a straight up trade for full value and it would obviously be to an AL club that could drop him right into the DH slot. I know less than you or cubfan about why the cubs are underperforming but i have to believe that offensive underproduction from Russell is not the key. Like Schwarber, I wouldn't say he's untouchable, but you gotta get full value for a player of that quality.

Excellent first game of the Sox-Yankees series last nite even if it was the wrong result. Stanton certainly put his stamp on the rivalry in a big way. Severino was terrific. Pomerantz was impressive in grinding through 6 w/out his best stuff and w/ an apparent problem on his pitching hand. And mookie betts is mookie betts.