MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: MLB 2017

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

jr29 wrote:
Zip City wrote:At age 25, Mike Trout has more career fWAR than David Ortiz. He's already at "low-end Hall of Fane" level and he's just getting started
And he manages to do it without being a tool.
Are you sure? I heard that he's a tool (X 5) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

so so so jealous. You wish there was a "too much Hunter Pence" article, don't you
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:
so so so jealous. You wish there was a "too much Hunter Pence" article, don't you
jealous? One world championship since the TR presidency? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

no, I don't want a "too much" anyone article

I get it, It's a cute feelgood story for Cub nation. That's totally cool. But I am guessing that most of the rest of baseball fans don't give a damn.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Yes. I'd be perfectly okay if the David Ross hype dies down a little bit as well. I'm tired of my male and female friends on Facebook commenting about DWTS results. I'll always appreciate him for rectifying his crucial error behind the plate by answering with a HR in Game 7 of the WS, but the story is overblown for a career back-up catcher.
It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone however, in a city that worships a worse than remedial head football coach more than three decades after he led the Chicago Bears to a Super Bowl.

I look forward to the Cubs finishing off this series while winning the final three going away. 8-)

P.S. My god Buster Posey stat line on the year is crazy. .361 BA, 7 HR, but only 11 RBI! That's so odd.
Last edited by Cubfan06 on Wed May 24, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Cubfan06 wrote:
Yes. I'd be perfectly okay if the David Ross hype dies down a little bit as well. I'm tired of my male and female friends on Facebook commenting about DWTS results. I'll always appreciate him for rectifying his crucial error behind the plate by answering with a HR in Game 7 of the WS, but the story is overblown for a career back-up catcher.
It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone however, in a city that worships a worse than remedial head football coach more than three decades after he led the Chicago Bears to a Super Bowl.

I look forward to the Cubs finishing off this series while winning the final three going away. 8-)
This is the worst hitting Giants team in the 135 year history of the team. You should crush us

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:

This is the worst hitting Giants team in the 135 year history of the team. You should crush us
I know. The Giants might turn it around though, right? It's still early, although they are pretty far back in what appears to be a strong division. The lineup on paper looks better to me than their output. Perhaps I feel that way, because Posey and Crawford are a couple of my favorite non Cubs. And I've had Brandon Belt in my dynasty team for a while. ( I keep waiting for that power potential to become reality)

whatwouldcooleydo?

Cubfan06 wrote: And I've had Brandon Belt in my dynasty team for a while. ( I keep waiting for that power potential to become reality)
you and me both :lol:

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Zip City wrote:Baseball is a long season. So absolutely yes
You were right the first time. The Cardinals are fucking terrible.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

jr29 wrote:
So are the Cubs

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:
jr29 wrote:
So are the Cubs
Oh yeah?

Giants are more terrible than both (though only by a few games) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Okay, you win (lose?)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Does anybody have insight into what the heck the Minnesota Twins are doing in first place?

And is Houston really as good as their record?

And will Mike Trout ever play in the post season?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:Does anybody have insight into what the heck the Minnesota Twins are doing in first place?

And is Houston really as good as their record?

And will Mike Trout ever play in the post season?
The Twins look to be coming back to reality, losing 7 of 10, and their -29 run differential shows they've had some lucky wins

Houston has Altuve and Keuchel, who are two of the best in the AL. Whether the rest of the rotation is for real is to be seen.

Trout may go down as the best player in history (statistically) who will never reap the rewards

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Made my first trip this season to Fenway last nite. Great weather, beautiful moon, pretty good game which I enjoyed, especially since the good guys won in exciting fashion. But it was just an ordinary 9 inning regular season baseball game and it took three hours and forty minutes to play. That's just ridiculous and takes too much of the fun out of the game.

Miggy Cabrera did not look good - good for the Sox, bad for fans of the game wanting to see one of the greats. Is he hurt?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

So the Cubs are awful but while I'm upset after losses I'm not red faced furious as I might have been in past years. Winning the World Series has lessened my baseball angst. On guy online told me that made me a terrible fan. Yeah, I don't buy it. I still want them to win, obviously, but I'm not jumping off bridges if they don't and I'm good with it.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:So the Cubs are awful but while I'm upset after losses I'm not red faced furious as I might have been in past years. Winning the World Series has lessened my baseball angst. On guy online told me that made me a terrible fan. Yeah, I don't buy it. I still want them to win, obviously, but I'm not jumping off bridges if they don't and I'm good with it.
If they had lost Game 7 last year and then came back with this miserable effort this year, I'd be beside myself. But for now, the team is struggling but so is the rest of the division. It's not a lost season by any stretch, but they need to get their shit together

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

beantownbubba wrote:Made my first trip this season to Fenway last nite. Great weather, beautiful moon, pretty good game which I enjoyed, especially since the good guys won in exciting fashion. But it was just an ordinary 9 inning regular season baseball game and it took three hours and forty minutes to play. That's just ridiculous and takes too much of the fun out of the game.

Miggy Cabrera did not look good - good for the Sox, bad for fans of the game wanting to see one of the greats. Is he hurt?

Cabera doesn't look like the same player this year. The series of "minor" injuries he has had over the last several years probably has something to do with it, and he ain't so young anymore. Luckily, we only have him locked into a contract until 2023! All part of Dave Dombrowski's evil master plan. In general, Tigers look terrible. Mike Ilitch may come back from the grave and demand some of his $200 million back.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mr. B wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Made my first trip this season to Fenway last nite. Great weather, beautiful moon, pretty good game which I enjoyed, especially since the good guys won in exciting fashion. But it was just an ordinary 9 inning regular season baseball game and it took three hours and forty minutes to play. That's just ridiculous and takes too much of the fun out of the game.

Cabera doesn't look like the same player this year. The series of "minor" injuries he has had over the last several years probably has something to do with it, and he ain't so young anymore. Luckily, we only have him locked into a contract until 2023! All part of Dave Dombrowski's evil master plan. In general, Tigers look terrible. Mike Ilitch may come back from the grave and demand some of his $200 million back.
Interesting discussion about Cabrera during the ESPN game tonite. Nobody was willing to stick a fork in him but at the very least the drawer was open. And as for 6 more years, nobody thought that was tenable. Sox & Tigers are on their way to another 4 hours of water torture masquerading as baseball so I've opted out. Feh.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Phillies are a lousy team going through a bad stretch, but even so, I see some hope there. They seem to have a group of good young players that should get better together. The waiting is the hardest part of course.

Meanwhile the Sox seem to be rounding into shape finally subject to the usual concerns about pitching. Their defense has been particularly impressive lately but it's also a lot of fun to watch guys like Betts and Bogaerts go on tears at the plate. Price may be returning to form or maybe not, there is evidence for whatever view one wants to hold.

And just to repeat the theme, the Sox played three straight 4+ hour games in a row this week. Two of them were extra innings, but even so... Just excruciating to watch.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:The Phillies are a lousy team going through a bad stretch, but even so, I see some hope there. They seem to have a group of good young players that should get better together. The waiting is the hardest part of course.
The Phillies salary commitment for next year is minuscule so they will be FA players in each of the next two years. I also think they'll take a hard run at Bryce Harper after 2018. In 2019 that division will be on its head with Philadelphia and Atlanta as the contenders. Maybe Miami but who knows what the new owners will do.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:The Phillies are a lousy team going through a bad stretch, but even so, I see some hope there. They seem to have a group of good young players that should get better together. The waiting is the hardest part of course.
The Phillies salary commitment for next year is minuscule so they will be FA players in each of the next two years. I also think they'll take a hard run at Bryce Harper after 2018. In 2019 that division will be on its head with Philadelphia and Atlanta as the contenders. Maybe Miami but who knows what the new owners will do.
I would bet a lot of money that Harper doesn't go to Philly.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Why? They've all but admitted he'll be a target and they're poised to enter a several year contention run. He's indicated a desire to stay in the NL and play for a contender. Of course there will be a lot of choices in the FA class and they may not be prepared to drop half a billion dollars on a player, I just wouldn't count them out.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Why? They've all but admitted he'll be a target and they're poised to enter a several year contention run. He's indicated a desire to stay in the NL and play for a contender. Of course there will be a lot of choices in the FA class and they may not be prepared to drop half a billion dollars on a player, I just wouldn't count them out.
Because "being a contender" is a relative thing, and if he doesn't win a ring in the next two years at Washington, he'll be chasing one, presumably with a more established team of veterans who are "one piece away", vs. with a team of young upstarts. Trout and Harper are arguably the best two hitters in the game, and I can't imagine either one signing any long term deal with a team that has been coming out of a rebuild.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote: Because "being a contender" is a relative thing, and if he doesn't win a ring in the next two years at Washington, he'll be chasing one, presumably with a more established team of veterans who are "one piece away", vs. with a team of young upstarts. Trout and Harper are arguably the best two hitters in the game, and I can't imagine either one signing any long term deal with a team that has been coming out of a rebuild.
Well I guess the difference is I think they very well could be one piece away after next season. I expect them to go big this FA and probably be a playoff team next year. That said you could be right and he goes with a team like the Yankees or Dodgers.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote: Because "being a contender" is a relative thing, and if he doesn't win a ring in the next two years at Washington, he'll be chasing one, presumably with a more established team of veterans who are "one piece away", vs. with a team of young upstarts. Trout and Harper are arguably the best two hitters in the game, and I can't imagine either one signing any long term deal with a team that has been coming out of a rebuild.
Well I guess the difference is I think they very well could be one piece away after next season. I expect them to go big this FA and probably be a playoff team next year. That said you could be right and he goes with a team like the Yankees or Dodgers.
I'm not sure anyone knows his true intentions. Something leaked about him wanting to play for the Cubs, but with 1 1/2 years before free agency, I think that's all just smoke

whatwouldcooleydo?

holy shit, I had no idea he, er, "sings"..........

appears he digs The Hag

whatwouldcooleydo?

there is a rumor going around that the Giants are going to bring in Jared Kushner to fill all the gipping holes in their team. Is there anything he can't fix? ;) ;) ;)

whatwouldcooleydo?

only thing missing here is some Benny Hill music

jr29

Post by jr29 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:holy shit, I had no idea he, er, "sings"..........

appears he digs The Hag

The Singing Cowboy is what Cards announcer Mike Shannon always calls him. I believe he plays guitar too.