MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: MLB 2018

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

LBRod wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Heading out to SF shortly for Giants/Cards tonight and tomorrow, very excited, even with Giants losing 4 straight. Was supposed to see Bumgarner start tomorrow but now it's Samardzija in his first start back from injury. Wanted to see the Cubs play next week but we have McMurtry/Paul Thorn here Tuesday, plus we are now having a semi-surprise visit from our very own allisonsdc and her family!
And you're getting a Crazy Crab scarf!

https://www.mlb.com/giants/video/crazy- ... d=26516880
I don't always wear a scarf at the ballpark but when I do it's a Crazy Crab scarf!

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

last nights all star game really solidified that im ready for this home run era to die down. solo homer after solo homer, it gets old fast. last night had all the elements to be a really thrilling back and forth but i dont find waiting around for the next home run to be all that exciting. its like a movie with decent scenes but no script

saw a stat that just under half of the at bats resulted in a home run, walk, or strikeout.

i guess the problem is the easiest fix is doing something about defensive shifts, which i dont support, so i guess i'll just have to wait 15 years or so for a new generation to come up and see if theyve found a different approach at the plate. not too optimistic though, especially if home runs keep equaling dollars as they do now. theres little reason for youth coaches to teach any new approach

could also revert to the old ball but that would just make the league look dumber for not admitting they changed the ball in the first place.

i get that scoring is what the league wants (and obviously the current talent pool is incredible) but i question how sustainable this really is. ive never liked the home run derby at all because it takes an exciting play and isolates and emphasizes it till it becomes meaningless, and i hate to see actual games going the same way

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I understand your POV to a certain extent, but disliking home runs is odd. It's the one and only play in baseball that guarantees runs. And you want runs. Preferring a couple of singles and then hoping someone hits a double to score them vs. wanting two solo HR's to score the same number of runs doesn't make sense to me.

I think defensive shifts need to go away, or at least be mitigated by saying that two infielders need to be on either side of the 2nd base bag. It's gotten to the point that putting the ball in play is less productive than walking
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

they guarantee runs, but at a pretty heavy cost imo. its a sound strategy in todays game but since im merely watching and not playing, id rather see more excitement to the scoring. im not saying players and managers should consider entertainment as part of their game plan, but the league office should. exactly how, i dont know. fixing the strike zone seems like an easy thing worth trying at least

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Shakespeare wrote:they guarantee runs, but at a pretty heavy cost imo. its a sound strategy in todays game but since im merely watching and not playing, id rather see more excitement to the scoring. im not saying players and managers should consider entertainment as part of their game plan, but the league office should. exactly how, i dont know. fixing the strike zone seems like an easy thing worth trying at least
I'm a strong proponent of an automated strike zone. The baseball traditionalists can kiss my butt on this one; there is nothing the "human element" adds to the game by having strike zones that are not only inconsistent ump to ump, but inning to inning, and often batter to batter. Tennis has automated in/out calls, the technology already exists via StatCast for the strike zone, we should just do it. Home plate ump is there to manage the game (lineups, switches, pinch-hitters, etc.), call plays at the plate, check swings, etc., but the balls/strikes are automated. Do it yesterday

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

i think the home run still has great drama potential (that recent mookie betts at bat, obviously) but games like last night where its all that happens just dont do much for me, yet theyre so emblematic of the sports present and near-future
Zip City wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:they guarantee runs, but at a pretty heavy cost imo. its a sound strategy in todays game but since im merely watching and not playing, id rather see more excitement to the scoring. im not saying players and managers should consider entertainment as part of their game plan, but the league office should. exactly how, i dont know. fixing the strike zone seems like an easy thing worth trying at least
I'm a strong proponent of an automated strike zone. The baseball traditionalists can kiss my butt on this one; there is nothing the "human element" adds to the game by having strike zones that are not only inconsistent ump to ump, but inning to inning, and often batter to batter. Tennis has automated in/out calls, the technology already exists via StatCast for the strike zone, we should just do it. Home plate ump is there to manage the game (lineups, switches, pinch-hitters, etc.), call plays at the plate, check swings, etc., but the balls/strikes are automated. Do it yesterday
definitely agree on this, though from what i gather the technology isnt quite there yet (in part probably because several parties dont want it to be there yet)

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The problem w/ home run-centric baseball is not when a HR is hit, it's when it's not. I find it ironic that just as OBP is finally accepted as a meaningful, important stat, K's are soaring at a rate never before seen in baseball history. A corollary to the importance of OBP is the uselessness of the strikeout (from the offensive perspective obviously). Doesn't get much more boring than watching Chris Davis go 0 for 4 w/ 4 K's, not once getting his bat w/in the same area code as the ball. And call me old school, but when multiple starters on a team are below the Mendoza line that's not cute or an unfortunate side effect, it's pathetic.

For the record, I'm against banning shifts. Plenty of ways to beat 'em if u stop trying to hit home runs w/ every swing.

OTOH, I've got 3 words for you:

Mookie Freakin' Betts.

Absolutely sublime, and a pleasure to watch every single minute of the game, at bat, on the bases and in the field.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Really nice feature on Dale Murphy, posted at WWCD's request. Some surprising, and very interesting, musical references will reward you for reading the whole thing.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... murphy-now

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

seattle june swoon started a month late. there is a lot of talk about taking felix hernandez out of the rotation. they used him to death. i knew they would live to regret that contract. same with robinson ( better living via modern chemistry) cano.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It's the battle of the Eastern titans as the Phillies visit Fenway Park!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I've told y'all about the weird panic in Chicago all season over the Cubs, the trade Kris Bryant, fire Joe Maddon nonsense and the like but I saw a Tweet last night that really made a lot of sense. The Tweet postulated that the Washington Nationals ARE the team that Cubs fans think the Cubs are. The level of angst is for a team hovering around .500 not a team 17 games over .500. I think that's spot on.

In other news it's a shame that an incredible performance by Sean Newcomb of the Braves, a kid I've followed with interest for years, spoiled his near no-hitter and brilliant performance yesterday. The fact that his were song lyrics and the inappropriate use of a slur that boys use on the playground far too often seems to not quite reach the Hader level but still very unfortunate.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I've told y'all about the weird panic in Chicago all season over the Cubs, the trade Kris Bryant, fire Joe Maddon nonsense and the like but I saw a Tweet last night that really made a lot of sense. The Tweet postulated that the Washington Nationals ARE the team that Cubs fans think the Cubs are. The level of angst is for a team hovering around .500 not a team 17 games over .500. I think that's spot on.

In other news it's a shame that an incredible performance by Sean Newcomb of the Braves, a kid I've followed with interest for years, spoiled his near no-hitter and brilliant performance yesterday. The fact that his were song lyrics and the inappropriate use of a slur that boys use on the playground far too often seems to not quite reach the Hader level but still very unfortunate.
Same thing happened to Trea Turner as well later. After everything that happened with Hader, Josh Allen, the Villanova kid, etc. I’m shocked sports agents don’t make their clients nuke their social media and start over when they get to the pros.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

im only a few years older than turner so it doesnt surprise me at all that he posted stuff like that around 17. ive never had a twitter but im sure if i did thered be stuff on there that would mortify me today

but it is utterly baffling that every reputable agency in sports doesnt have people on staff solely responsible for taking care of stuff like this before it gets out. its so easy, theres no excuse not to.

hell, even teams should have someone on call for that stuff, considering how much they promote players social media handles nowadays

Clams

Post by Clams »

Heading to the bottom of the 10th. Great game in Boston tonight.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

M's beat the Astros last night in convincing fashion. Edwin Diaz is a phenomenal closer!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

For those that enjoy such things this has been one of the most intriguing trade deadlines that I can remember. Just yesterday Houston took a real gamble with Osuna and his issues, Ian Kinsler was a nice pickup for Boston, Adam Duvall is a nice pickup for Atlanta give Inciarte's problem's with lefties and the Yankees inexplicably picked up Lance Lynn which most assume is a prelude to trading Sonny Gray to Milwaukee or Atlanta. Whew. Plus we still have eight hours to go and Bryce Harper is suddenly on the block. You gotta love the deadline.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:For those that enjoy such things this has been one of the most intriguing trade deadlines that I can remember. Just yesterday Houston took a real gamble with Osuna and his issues, Ian Kinsler was a nice pickup for Boston, Adam Duvall is a nice pickup for Atlanta give Inciarte's problem's with lefties and the Yankees inexplicably picked up Lance Lynn which most assume is a prelude to trading Sonny Gray to Milwaukee or Atlanta. Whew. Plus we still have eight hours to go and Bryce Harper is suddenly on the block. You gotta love the deadline.
And big ugly contracts like Josh Donaldson may be moved in August as well

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

harper off the table apparently, but there were deals in place (including wtrading him) that ownership nixed last night supposedly

add todays reports that the nats arent listening on relievers but are on starters like gio gonzalez or jeremy hellickson and i have no clue at all what this strategy is

been a hell of a deadline season already though, but i still think the new wild card setup means the deadline needs to be bumped back a bit. too many teams still "in it" for a july deadline nowadays

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kintzler to the Cubs
Dozier to the Dodgers
Archer to the Pirates
Ramos to Phillies

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Milwaukee now has a a guy who plays 3B playing 2B and 1B, a guys that plays 2B playing SS and are generally trying to fit 5 guys into 3 spots. I'm confused, but I'm not taking them lightly.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Ruh roh. Chris Sale on the DL. I wonder if Ian Kinsler can pitch?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Ruh roh. Chris Sale on the DL. I wonder if Ian Kinsler can pitch?
Seems like a "Chris Sale needs a rest" DL stint to me. I wouldn't be concerned.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Wild game at Fenway tonite that, at least from the Boston end, will go down in Sox-Yankees lore. Down 4-0 by the second inning, the Sox now lead 14-6 in the top of the 8th. The 8 run 4th inning in particular was amazing as it seemed like the Sox scored in every conceivable way and, at least in the case of Jackie Bradley, one inconceivable one. See if u can find a clip of that one. I'm not even sure how it was scored, definitely not a steal of home, maybe a FC? Anyway, I imagine something like "jackie bradley 4th inning" should surface it. Brian Johnson gave up those 4 runs on 2 HR's yet still hung around to (presumably) get the wiin and struck out 11! Ian Kinsler had an excellent nite at the plate and made 2 stellar plays in the field in the 7th and Steve Pearce hit 3 dingers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Insane game at Camden Yards tonite. Sox were up 3-0 in the first but down 8-3 before going on a multi inning tear that resulted in a 19-12 win. Coincidentally, the win (and the O's loss) eliminated the O's from the division race. On August 10th. Sad.

Pretty much everyone on the Sox got to fatten up their stats. Mookie didn't hit for the cycle but he did get on base 5x, hit 2 doubles, score 3x and drive in 3 runs. JD Martinez is up to 101 RBI's and Jackie Bradley had 3 hits and scored 4x. The O's walked in either 2 or 3 runs, i forget.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cubs with the ultra-rare Golden Grand Slam to win it

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

The Mariners are ulcer inducing. Very sad about how Felix Hernandez is going down. They pitched him to death in futile seasons. The team is still on the hook for 27 million next year. One bright spot: Oakland traded for Fernando Rodney....

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Cubs with the ultra-rare Golden Grand Slam to win it
Incredible. I don’t know what happened, but David Bote going from being an organizational depth player to this in 18 months is remarkable. Also remarkable was Cole Hamels who looked through in Texas but has looked like an ace since coming to Chicago. Baseball is a funny game.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Ruh roh. Chris Sale on the DL. I wonder if Ian Kinsler can pitch?
Seems like a "Chris Sale needs a rest" DL stint to me. I wouldn't be concerned.
Quoted for truth.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

after the Ms won on a balk (!) in extra innings saturday night, i got all enthusiastic & went to Ms/Dodgers game yesterday. with the variable ticket prices, just like plane tickets, it was spendy. $50 to sit in the upper deck. clayton kershaw pitching for LA, whoever for mariners. well, all i can say is thank God the dodgers only come to town every 6 years. it was 5-0 in the first inning, ended up 12-1. i left at the GBA (God bless america). i couldn't take anymore....maybe next year. famous last words....

btw: the ticket was more expensive, for a semi-crappy seat, than what i paid for an echo & the bunnymen ticket. that's just wrong!