MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: MLB 2014

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

StevieRay wrote:Now if they could just somehow put the Farmio/DJ radio team out to pasture (without parallel the worst in all of sports)

Are those guys really the worst? Maybe we've talked about this before but I don't really mind them. The TV broadcast, on the other hand, is absolutely the worst. Hawk Harrelson is absolutely unlistenable on a good day but when he goes on a rant against modern statistics you sort of want to shoot him. Opposite him is Steve Stone, who used to be my favorite analyst in all of sports but now seems like he'd rather be anywhere in the world but in a booth with Harrelson. Just awful.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

Its story time. I told this one to a friend this morning and thought you guys would get a kick out of it.

Every year my 15 year old son and I take a baseball trip. We see a couple of games on the road and have a great time.

This past year we went to Target Field for a Twinkies game.

We are sitting and enjoying the game while my son keeps score (tear comes to my eye) while in the row behind us there are a crew of drunk college girls. During about the 5th inning one of these peaches proclaims that the scoreboard operator messed up. Her Rhodes Scholar friend asks what happened and how is the scoreboard wrong.

She point outs the strikeout scoreboard (the one where they put up a K for every strikeout) and says that they always put the third strikeout of the game as a backwards K, so it doesn't offend the black people at the game!!! Let me say that again, she thought the scoreboard would never say KKK as to not to offend the black patrons.

My son caught it to and the look he gave me was worth the entire trip.

Oh well 15 days until pitchers and catchers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

ScottyC wrote:Its story time. I told this one to a friend this morning and thought you guys would get a kick out of it.

Every year my 15 year old son and I take a baseball trip. We see a couple of games on the road and have a great time.

This past year we went to Target Field for a Twinkies game.

We are sitting and enjoying the game while my son keeps score (tear comes to my eye) while in the row behind us there are a crew of drunk college girls. During about the 5th inning one of these peaches proclaims that the scoreboard operator messed up. Her Rhodes Scholar friend asks what happened and how is the scoreboard wrong.

She point outs the strikeout scoreboard (the one where they put up a K for every strikeout) and says that they always put the third strikeout of the game as a backwards K, so it doesn't offend the black people at the game!!! Let me say that again, she thought the scoreboard would never say KKK as to not to offend the black patrons.

My son caught it to and the look he gave me was worth the entire trip.

Oh well 15 days until pitchers and catchers.

Yeah, everyone knows black people don't attend baseball games anyway. ;)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

When you started your story with a 15 year old son and drunk college girls,
I thought you were heading a different direction. ;)
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

LBRod wrote:When you started your story with a 15 year old son and drunk college girls,
I thought you were heading a different direction. ;)

can you image me as a grandpa yet? :o

njMark

Post by njMark »

sg207 wrote:Old white guys get really upset when you try to tell them how ridiculous they are. Taking their ball and going home is a pretty typical response.

This sums the BBWAA up pretty succinctly I'd say

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Does anyone read or pay attention to the PECOTA projections? I know they're usually pretty accurate but there's something a little depressing about computers pretty much knowing what's going to go down before a single game is played. Interestingly they don't have many of the Cubs prospects coming up this year as most people expect and they don't have top prospect, and presumed major league ready player, Kris Bryant coming up at all.

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Does anyone read or pay attention to the PECOTA projections?

Can't one sort of shrug at these? I mean, they had the Yankees system one notch ahead of the Red Sox for 2013... They were certainly right about The Cardinals, but...

Intangibles are what makes the game great, and, equally these are what make the Hot Stove so much fun.

Speaking of hot stoves, I had better get mine going this AM.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

PECOTA and Zips projections are an interesting intellectual exercise, but they're obviously inconsequential in the long run. I'd like to see someone look back and see how accurate they've been over the years
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Freddie Freeman gets 8 years/$125 million from the Braves and it would seem most Braves fans are apoplectic. I don't know, 25 year old first baseman with the numbers he put up last year? Looks like a steal to me.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Freddie Freeman gets 8 years/$125 million from the Braves and it would seem most Braves fans are apoplectic. I don't know, 25 year old first baseman with the numbers he put up last year? Looks like a steal to me.

If he plays as he projects it's an excellent deal from the team's perspective. If he doesn't it's an albatross w/ a very long neck. I'm very glad it's not me putting out that kind of money for that long. It's not at all out of whack w/ the state of the game today, but the state of the game is totally out of whack. I mean, c'mon: EIGHT YEARS!! Need I remind you that 8 years ago it was 2006. Anybody in '06 predict how the next 7 years went down?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Soriano's contract was 8 years. I never want to see another 8 year contract again

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Freddie Freeman gets 8 years/$125 million from the Braves and it would seem most Braves fans are apoplectic. I don't know, 25 year old first baseman with the numbers he put up last year? Looks like a steal to me.

If he plays as he projects it's an excellent deal from the team's perspective. If he doesn't it's an albatross w/ a very long neck. I'm very glad it's not me putting out that kind of money for that long. It's not at all out of whack w/ the state of the game today, but the state of the game is totally out of whack. I mean, c'mon: EIGHT YEARS!! Need I remind you that 8 years ago it was 2006. Anybody in '06 predict how the next 7 years went down?

Well, it's roughly $15 million a year. If he does put up the kind of numbers he's projected to, and in 3 years he's 28 years old making that same $15 then he'll probably be underpaid by $7 to $10 million a year. Players with comparable numbers but much older are making $20 mil plus right now and that's only going up. This is why you have to have great scouting.

Zip, Soriano was 30 years old when he signed that deal. Freeman is 25. Huge difference.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I'd argue that scouting has very little to do w/ it. Sure, you have to have scouting/talent evaluators and they have to be good. And good at not just judging talent but judging what talent might (or might not) turn into. But let me put this hypothesis out there: It's impossible to project anyone's performance for 8 years w/ any degree of accuracy. On average, it can be done - that's what sabremetrics are largely about. But there's a big difference between playing the odds that one 24 yr old 30 home run hitting all star will become a hall of famer and playing the odds that one in 10 of the players in that group will. In any individual case, it's simply a roll of the dice. And to mix my metaphors, as w/ blackjack there are ways to move the odds a little more in your direction. But guaranteed wins? Nope. Again, in the current environment, I think it's a good deal for the Braves given the contracts other players w/ X skills and Y potential are getting for Z years. Not because it's clearly going to work out for them. Just because they've put themselves in position to benefit from a below market windfall if the kid turns out to be the gem they hope he will. But I very much doubt that I can be convinced that an 8 year contract for anyone for anything that's not highly variable/adjustable is a good thing. I just don't understand it.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I wonder if this means they'll trade Heyward now

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Monday calling all catchers and pitchers for spring workouts hell yea!!

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

watched a you tube vid of the Cardinals loadin the trucks

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

dbtfan4life wrote:watched a you tube vid of the Cardinals loadin the trucks

I hope they get lost along the way ;)

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

that wud be fine by me haha!! Go Pirates!!

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Each year in the deep dark tunnel of Feb. that spans the time between the end of Football and the "reporting" of pitchers and catchers there is a phenomenon known to Red Sox fans as "Truck Day." Truck day is the day that they load the truck with all the baseballs and bats and things into a truck to take to Florida.

Truck Day is here!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

While I'm really excited about the Cubs' young prospects, Javier Baez is said to have the best power projections of any prospect in the game, I do have one absolute fear and his name is Oscar Taverez of the Cardinals. He had an injury riddled 2013 but he's in a battle for an outfield spot this spring and there are some scouts that are saying that he will be the best hitter in baseball the minute he steps on the field. How do teams like The Cardinals so consistently find these guys, and why does if have to be the motherfuckin' Cardinals???

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:While I'm really excited about the Cubs' young prospects, Javier Baez is said to have the best power projections of any prospect in the game, I do have one absolute fear and his name is Oscar Taverez of the Cardinals. He had an injury riddled 2013 but he's in a battle for an outfield spot this spring and there are some scouts that are saying that he will be the best hitter in baseball the minute he steps on the field. How do teams like The Cardinals so consistently find these guys, and why does if have to be the motherfuckin' Cardinals???

As a Cardinals fan, I can assure you I am excited about Tavares. There have been some questions about his attitude, but he is still very young.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Markalanbishop wrote:What say you Clams?

http://deadspin.com/report-the-phillies ... 1526769641

despicable.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Exactly what i was going to say but he said it first:

"But the Phillies are just useful idiots in this situation. The real outrage should be reserved for the NCAA, whose inflexible "no agent" rule is illogical and immoral."

Because negotiating (or not) a $400K contract is something a college junior should do for himself. Way to go, NCAA. Just looking out for the kids, right? Fucking assholes.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I guess this is mostly for Zip and Cubfan but why are the Cubs refusing to play Javier Baez at second base? Are they so sure that they're going to trade Castro that they don't want to confuse the kid when they think he's their ultimate answer at SS with Arismendy Alcanatara the projected 2nd baseman? I'm confused. I've heard a lot of talk that scouts think Baez could play second right now and there is no doubt that he's ready for major league pitching so what's the deal? Darwin Barney is very trade able if someone's 2nd bagger goes down and you would think they would rather have Baez's bat over Alcantara's if they call someone up in June.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I guess this is mostly for Zip and Cubfan but why are the Cubs refusing to play Javier Baez at second base? Are they so sure that they're going to trade Castro that they don't want to confuse the kid when they think he's their ultimate answer at SS with Arismendy Alcanatara the projected 2nd baseman? I'm confused. I've heard a lot of talk that scouts think Baez could play second right now and there is no doubt that he's ready for major league pitching so what's the deal? Darwin Barney is very trade able if someone's 2nd bagger goes down and you would think they would rather have Baez's bat over Alcantara's if they call someone up in June.

Yeah. Seems strange to me that they're phrasing it like that. They obviously have a plan moving towards the future. I'm okay with saving Baez's call up until June 1st to keep control of him for another year on the arbitration side of things.
I know that Castro regressed last year, but I'll preach patience with him. He'll bounce back if they haven't ruined his confidence about his approach. To me though if they wanted to yield top level starting pitching for Castro in a deal eventually, I wouldn't say that you refuse to Baez anywhere. It seems to take away from the Cubs leverage if another team feels like the Cubs "have" to move him for the next man up.
I'd suggest Starlin move to 3rd, but with the unknown in Mike Olt's production and Kris Bryant being another potential June 1st call-up I think that they're going to be covered at the hot-corner in a major way.

I feel so good about Baez that I'd actually more so be in favor of getting Starlin some reps at 2B eventually. But since that wouldn't occur until June 1st, the only thing I could gather is that they value the current team chemistry over potential deal leverage in the future. And as I think about it more, I can't disagree with that.
Although it's likely not going to yield 80 win results this year, this young depth is a very nice problem to have. And once they figure out who they can trust to make long-term impacts, they can fill the other holes with free-agent signings in the future. Front -end starting pitching is a really necessary and place to start.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Without dipping into the prospect pool too much Castro and a resurgent Olt are the guys who could bring some top line pitching prospects. I think Castro is and will continue be a good player, I think 2013 was a blip, but with the glut of infield prospects I guarantee you that they're always listening to clubs who bring up his name. It's going to be interesting, I just question putting Baez at AAA at SS unless they are convinced they will trade Castro. I mean who goes to AAA anymore? Most prospects come up directly from AA. Still I do trust the organization so I guess we'll see.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Without dipping into the prospect pool too much Castro and a resurgent Olt are the guys who could bring some top line pitching prospects. I think Castro is and will continue be a good player, I think 2013 was a blip, but with the glut of infield prospects I guarantee you that they're always listening to clubs who bring up his name. It's going to be interesting, I just question putting Baez at AAA at SS unless they are convinced they will trade Castro. I mean who goes to AAA anymore? Most prospects come up directly from AA. Still I do trust the organization so I guess we'll see.

W/out commenting on the specifics, these are exactly the kinds of situations that Epstein & Co. are good at. I'd suggest waiting and seeing how it plays out.