MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: MLB 2018

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:he ticket was more expensive, for a semi-crappy seat, than what i paid for an echo & the bunnymen ticket. that's just wrong!
Clayton Kershaw alone > echo & the bunnymen
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
chuckrh wrote:he ticket was more expensive, for a semi-crappy seat, than what i paid for an echo & the bunnymen ticket. that's just wrong!
Kershaw was impressive. I didn't even know he was pitching when I decided to go to the game. I live an easy 15 minute drive to the stadium. Had to park farther away than what's good for me though. My spine/back is still healing from when they cut me up.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Kershaw was impressive. I didn't even know he was pitching when I decided to go to the game. I live an easy 15 minute drive to the stadium. Had to park farther away than what's good for me though. My spine/back is still healing from when they cut me up.
Your health > Clayton Kershaw. Even Kershaw isn't worth pushing your envelope for.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Clayton Kershaw alone > echo & the bunnymen[/quote]

Kershaw was impressive. I didn't even know he was pitching when I decided to go to the game. I live an easy 15 minute drive to the stadium. Had to park farther away than what's good for me though. My spine/back is still healing from when they cut me up.[/quote]

Your health > Clayton Kershaw. Even Kershaw isn't worth pushing your envelope for.[/quote]

thanks bubba. appreciate the thought. just trying to live a little while i still can. RA is an isiduous disease. i've been fighting it for the better part of 10 years. all the while, irreparable damage is being done. i've voluteered to be a guinea pig but big pharma doesn't want me. i've been through all the available meds in wildly varying degrees of success. the ones that have worked some eventually lose effectivity. i'm pretty much at the end of the line with what is available. now trump & congress are going to decide my fate with pain meds. i have feeling that's not going to turn out well for me & others like me. sadly, i can't function without them. the recent surgery was an outlier in that spine issues aren't real common with RA. not unknown but on the rare side. if i hadn't done it, i'd probably be in a wheelchair now or very soon. so, i try to do things now as it is getting tougher. i'm still working but i don't think i'm going to make my goal of 60 with that. just as well. 2 people in my group at work in the same age range have dropped dead in the last year. i'm listening to the message there. i have no desire to leave (giant corporate satan) in a body bag. i do pace myself though. i enjoy the occasional baseball game as its pretty relaxing. i used to go at least 1 game a homestand but they've priced me out. getting a lot pickier with concerts now too. the first one i've been to since october was the 2nd pearl jam show in seattle. great show (you should go in boston if you can) but at 3.5 hours, it was a test. i ended up taking a pedicab back to the car, a first. back to baseball, i don't think the mariners are going to make the wildcard. maybe they are on a good path but not this year. keep an eye on mitch hanniger. he's real good now & i think he has a very bright future. the yankees will probably end up getting him, haha. take care.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Who are your MLB Endcaps?

First player younger than me: Ed Correa

Last player older than me: Jamie Moyer

If there's still an active player older than you, the dream is still alive... you still have a chance to make the majors. We still have Bartolo Colon, after all.

for me, alas, the dream is over :cry: :cry: :cry:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Who are your MLB Endcaps?

If there's still an active player older than you, the dream is still alive... you still have a chance to make the majors. We still have Bartolo Colon, after all.

Hey, if they're over 35 I root for 'em and think of us as similarly age-handicapped. Desperate times call for desperate measures and all that.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Who are your MLB Endcaps?

First player younger than me: Ken Griffey Jr

Last player older than me: Omar Vizquel
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

A-Rod/Colon
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Brian Greer?/Jesse Orosco
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:A-Rod/Colon
A-Rod’s Colon would be a great name for a punk band

whatwouldcooleydo?

Am I the only one up in here who has not seen The Sandlot?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Am I the only one up in here who has not seen The Sandlot?
Me neither

Or The Natural

Or Field of Dreams

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Am I the only one up in here who has not seen The Sandlot?
Me neither

Or The Natural

Or Field of Dreams
Seen Natural and Field of Dreams, those were in the wheelhouse of people my age

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote:
Me neither

Or The Natural

Or Field of Dreams
Of course not. Those movies don't include sabermetrics.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LBRod wrote:
Zip City wrote:
Me neither

Or The Natural

Or Field of Dreams
Of course not. Those movies don't include sabermetrics.
FWIW, I haven't seen Moneyball either :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The Cubs will essentially face four "aces" this week in Syndergaard, deGrom, Nola and Foltynewicz. If the question has been how this offense can perform against great pitching, well here you go.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

I haven’t seen Gump or Titanic and have zero desire to ever see either

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:The Cubs will essentially face four "aces" this week in Syndergaard, deGrom, Nola and Foltynewicz. If the question has been how this offense can perform against great pitching, well here you go.
One down, three to go

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

While funny, I think analytics ADD joy to the game, at least for me but shit, I make everything about math. I even make up math problems in my head for grocery shopping so what do I know? When I truly dove into analytics it really brought back my love of the game at a time when the Cubs sure couldn't do that.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
While funny, I think analytics ADD joy to the game, at least for me but shit, I make everything about math. I even make up math problems in my head for grocery shopping so what do I know? When I truly dove into analytics it really brought back my love of the game at a time when the Cubs sure couldn't do that.
Math??? If I actually knew you well, I’d have to say, “sometimes I don’t know who you are” :lol: :lol: :lol:

Killing time last night before crashing I watched some Angels/Rockies. The 8th inning was insanely entertaining: IIRC, the inning began with Angels up 5-3. After top of 8th Rockies led 7-5 after a grand slam. In bottom half Angels score 5 and it goes to 9th with Angels up 10-7

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So as I'm leaving to take the dog out, the Sox are losing to the Braves 7-1 in the top of the 8th. When I come back, it's still the top of the 8th and the game is tied 7-7. As I watch, the Sox load the bases w/ 2 outs and Mookie Betts, season hero, comes up to pinch hit. He strikes out. Siiiigh. Bottom of the 8th, Freeman hits one out, so now it's top of the 9th Sox down by one. Two outs, one on and Brandon Phillips, just called up from the minors in his first game in a Sox uniform, crushes one and the Sox lead 9-8. Kimbrel comes in and shuts the door so we can put one improbable win in the books. It's been that kind of season although I really expected Mookie to come through 'cause that's what he's done all year. BTW, this was a real "Septempber game" w/ both managers going deep into their expanded rosters. As I've said many times before, I just hate that. Whatever.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

beantownbubba wrote:So as I'm leaving to take the dog out, the Sox are losing to the Braves 7-1 in the top of the 8th. When I come back, it's still the top of the 8th and the game is tied 7-7. As I watch, the Sox load the bases w/ 2 outs and Mookie Betts, season hero, comes up to pinch hit. He strikes out. Siiiigh. Bottom of the 8th, Freeman hits one out, so now it's top of the 9th Sox down by one. Two outs, one on and Brandon Phillips, just called up from the minors in his first game in a Sox uniform, crushes one and the Sox lead 9-8. Kimbrel comes in and shuts the door so we can put one improbable win in the books. It's been that kind of season although I really expected Mookie to come through 'cause that's what he's done all year. BTW, this was a real "Septempber game" w/ both managers going deep into their expanded rosters. As I've said many times before, I just hate that. Whatever.
I really do feel like this Braves team is scrappy and can make some serious noise if they get to the postseason, but with how the bullpen has played all year I’m not sure they deserve to.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

wondering if mariners locker room fight was about who sucks more: mike zunino or kyle seager. i'll take seager. he's one of those guys who got the big contract & immediately went to hell. got a little worse last year. got waaaaaay worse this year. & he's locked in for several years at close to $20 million per. m's have several ugly contracts on the books. felix, cano, seager...they are in no danger of being good any time soon.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

chuckrh wrote:wondering if mariners locker room fight was about who sucks more: mike zunino or kyle seager. i'll take seager. he's one of those guys who got the big contract & immediately went to hell. got a little worse last year. got waaaaaay worse this year. & he's locked in for several years at close to $20 million per. m's have several ugly contracts on the books. felix, cano, seager...they are in no danger of being good any time soon.
Seager is a good player, he'll be back. This season screams outlier and he's still a lifetime 113 wRC+, maybe not quite what you want but not bad. I also think Cano will contribute next year although without the help of the juice he may break down some. I don't think your boys are sunk automatically for 2019.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
chuckrh wrote:wondering if mariners locker room fight was about who sucks more: mike zunino or kyle seager. i'll take seager. he's one of those guys who got the big contract & immediately went to hell. got a little worse last year. got waaaaaay worse this year. & he's locked in for several years at close to $20 million per. m's have several ugly contracts on the books. felix, cano, seager...they are in no danger of being good any time soon.
Seager is a good player, he'll be back. This season screams outlier and he's still a lifetime 113 wRC+, maybe not quite what you want but not bad. I also think Cano will contribute next year although without the help of the juice he may break down some. I don't think your boys are sunk automatically for 2019.
they have crushed me so many times, the worst being the year we won 116. i had partial season tickets & even travelled to see them play in fenway & yankee stadium. this was before the red sox were selling out. with the mariners office help, i was able to get a seat 8 rows behind the mariner's on deck circle. close enough you could hear lou pinella cussing, haha. then came 9/11...so of course, that year wasn't entirely the mariner's fault but it seems like a curse at this point. until fairly recently, i was going to at least 1 game a homestand. they have priced me out now though. that & health stuff make it tough to go. there is a row of ADA seats in the left field bleachers that are great. real chairs & right down 3rd base line. when the stadium opened they were $12, now with variable ticket pricing they can go for as much as $40 a game. close to $30 for a non "premium" game. they have made it tough for families to go also, with the prices. last year, they did a cross the board increase on concessions twice. it's sad. traditionally you should win before becoming 1 of the most expensive tickets in the league. there's also an unfortunate thing in the marketing with constant "remember that year we almost didn't suck" promotions. makes the true baseball fans cringe. i like some of the young players like mitch hanniger but past regimes have messed up badly. the farm system is in bad shape & the forementioned bad contracts on the books. i will give jerry dipoto credit for robbing arizona on the trade where we landed segura & hanninger. neither of the players arizona got are producing. they teased us again for awhile this year but they have crashed badly. i'm glad they didn't throw away any meager assets in the hopes of getting 1 wildcard game.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I was going to ask how Edwin Diaz could have 53 saves when the Mariners only have 78 wins, but then I see that his WHIP is 0.772 and his K/9 is over 15, among other eye-catching stats. But still, isn't it pretty amazing to save a little over 2/3 of your team's wins?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:I was going to ask how Edwin Diaz could have 53 saves when the Mariners only have 78 wins, but then I see that his WHIP is 0.772 and his K/9 is over 15, among other eye-catching stats. But still, isn't it pretty amazing to save a little over 2/3 of your team's wins?
Mariners are 14 games over .500 despite a (-) 53 run differential. This shows me that they are probably winning close games (ie save opportunities) and getting blown out in other games, while enjoying relatively few blow out wins.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I was going to ask how Edwin Diaz could have 53 saves when the Mariners only have 78 wins, but then I see that his WHIP is 0.772 and his K/9 is over 15, among other eye-catching stats. But still, isn't it pretty amazing to save a little over 2/3 of your team's wins?
Mariners are 14 games over .500 despite a (-) 53 run differential. This shows me that they are probably winning close games (ie save opportunities) and getting blown out in other games, while enjoying relatively few blow out wins.
Yeah I figured playing a lot of close games had to figure into it. Thanks for the statistical basis.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Zip City wrote:
Yeah I figured playing a lot of close games had to figure into it. Thanks for the statistical basis.
My statistical basis is almost entirely conjecture (I haven't looked at their individual games). But usually a team with a winning record and a negative run differential is getting lucky in close games