MLB 2018

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: MLB 2017

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I haven't had a chance to read anything about it, but I'm really surprised by the Yankees sacking Girardi. What more was he supposed to have done?
Rumor is that he “lost” the clubhouse
All I know is that it’s whiped Cubs fans into frenzy thinking Maddon should be fired and replaced by Girardi and since he’s likely not going to manage in 2018 it’s not going to stop soon.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I haven't had a chance to read anything about it, but I'm really surprised by the Yankees sacking Girardi. What more was he supposed to have done?
Rumor is that he “lost” the clubhouse
All I know is that it’s whiped Cubs fans into frenzy thinking Maddon should be fired and replaced by Girardi and since he’s likely not going to manage in 2018 it’s not going to stop soon.
Hard pass
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Hard pass
I'd call Girardi and Maddon about equal in terms of managers. I think the top four are clearly Bochy, Francona and then Maddon and Girardi in whatever order you'd like. I think Roberts is creeping up on those guys and some think Bud Black is on that level but I'm not sure I agree. In any case I'm not firing the manager that got my team a World Series win one year ago.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
I'd call Girardi and Maddon about equal in terms of managers. I think the top four are clearly Bochy, Francona and then Maddon and Girardi in whatever order you'd like. I think Roberts is creeping up on those guys and some think Bud Black is on that level but I'm not sure I agree. In any case I'm not firing the manager that got my team a World Series win one year ago.
The “Girardi has lost the clubhouse” talk has centered around him not being good with young players, which would make him a disaster for the Cubs
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The Yankees were supposed to win 84 games. They won over 90 games and fell a game short of the World Series. What I have heard on NYC sports talk radio is that the front office is very focused on analytics and wanted more of a role in managerial decisions. Girardi resisted that idea and friction ensued.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:
The “Girardi has lost the clubhouse” talk has centered around him not being good with young players, which would make him a disaster for the Cubs
It seems to be that his players found him "intense". That often doesn't work with young players and no, I would not choose him over Maddon and Bill's point on the analytics would cement that position further. I think Cubs fans that wan't Maddon gone are silly as fuck, but at least they're actually attaching a name to who they'd want in his stead for a change. Girardi is one of the best in the game and did well with young players in Miami. I think most of this is spin but he'll likely spend a year or two on TV and pick his job when it arises.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Holy smokes! What a game!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

bovine knievel wrote:Holy smokes! What a game!
Seriously. I'm still exhausted the next morning (or actually, later the same morning, lol).

While very different in the specifics, that game reminded me of nothing so much as the legendary Game Six of the '75 World Series in intensity, "plot" twists, big moments, etc. Incredible.

I hope the Dodgers win game 6 because this deserves to be a 7 game series, but if the dodgers can come back from that backbreaker, dave roberts should proceed directly to the HOF.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:David Ortiz and a microphone is a crime against humanity :roll: :roll: :roll:
I have no opinion on Papi as a commentator since I never watch those pre & post game shows, but that's an odd way to phrase your criticism, wwcd. Around here at least Papi's big moment "behind the mic" after the marathon bombing will be remembered as long as any of his moments at the plate.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Phillies hire Gabe Kapler. You should be excited Clams, this is a great hire.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Phillies hire Gabe Kapler. You should be excited Clams, this is a great hire.
Agreed. Very highly regarded around these parts by the Sox, fans and pretty much everyone.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:David Ortiz and a microphone is a crime against humanity :roll: :roll: :roll:
I have no opinion on Papi as a commentator since I never watch those pre & post game shows, but that's an odd way to phrase your criticism, wwcd. Around here at least Papi's big moment "behind the mic" after the marathon bombing will be remembered as long as any of his moments at the plate.
I can't believe I need to say this: neither his "big moment" that you referred to nor the bombing played any part in my comment, none of that crossed my mind.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
I can't believe I need to say this: neither his "big moment" that you referred to nor the bombing played any part in my comment, none of that crossed my mind.
No you didn't need to say it and I didn't think you meant anything more than what you intended. I was trying to say something a little different, but you're right, it was unnecessary at best.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Game 7!!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Koufax don't age

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I’m guessing Darvish cost himself $20 mil these last 2 games.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Can WS Least Valuable Player be a thing? Because holy cow Darvish has been putrid.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Can WS Least Valuable Player be a thing? Because holy cow Darvish has been putrid.
Cody Bellinger and his 16 Ks might have something to say about that...

whatwouldcooleydo?

Nostradamus Illustrated

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I’m guessing Darvish cost himself $20 mil these last 2 games.
MLB Radio is speculating this morning that Darvish could have lost $60 mil this series going from a 6/$180 mil deal to maybe 4/$100 mil. Ouch.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:I’m guessing Darvish cost himself $20 mil these last 2 games.
MLB Radio is speculating this morning that Darvish could have lost $60 mil this series going from a 6/$180 mil deal to maybe 4/$100 mil. Ouch.
That's a lot of money for sure, but let's not forget that $100 million divided by 4 is still $25 million. Per year. For a high talent middling performer who is running out of time to turn promise into reality.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Market correction.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Highly enjoyable World Series. And I've come around on Joe Buck as a baseball, at least, play by play man and Smoltz is clearly the best analyst in the business.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Sterling Bigmouth

Markalanbishop wrote:Highly enjoyable World Series. And I've come around on Joe Buck as a baseball, at least, play by play man and Smoltz is clearly the best analyst in the business.
Not sure I’ll ever like Joe Buck, but I can at least listen to him now without muting the TV. I agree with you on John Smoltz though, he is fantastic and I hope he sticks around for a long time.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Yesterday PTI led with the quarterback of the Houston NFL team being injured, NOT with the Astros winning a very compelling World Series

This is just flatout wrong

I am a loyal and longtime viewer of PTI. Flame away if you must. I get why some hate the show and won't mount a counter-argument. The show is entertaining, so sue me. I get that they work for a network that is vastly invested in the NFL. Still, leading the show with an NFL injury over game 7 of the WS is fucked. I ain't mad, didn't won't lose any sleep over this, but relative to sports, this ain't right

Sterling Bigmouth

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Yesterday PTI led with the quarterback of the Houston NFL team being injured, NOT with the Astros winning a very compelling World Series

This is just flatout wrong

I am a loyal and longtime viewer of PTI. Flame away if you must. I get why some hate the show and won't mount a counter-argument. The show is entertaining, so sue me. I get that they work for a network that is vastly invested in the NFL. Still, leading the show with an NFL injury over game 7 of the WS is fucked. I ain't mad, didn't won't lose any sleep over this, but relative to sports, this ain't right
I still enjoy watching at least a few minutes of PTI every day after work. Like you said the show isn’t perfect, but Tony and Mike are miles ahead of most of the schlock ESPN puts on TV these days. Definitely agree about the Astros/Watson thing though. It sucks, but I guess while football is king in America it will always get top billing.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

whatwouldcooleydo?

damn :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sterling Bigmouth

I think Halladay probably pitched 2 or 3 of the ten greatest games I’ve ever watched. RIP